The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh V Treviso

+15
funnyExiledScot
VinceWLB
Eejit
cakeordeath
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Welly
des
tigertattie
Hazel Sapling
George Carlin
TJ
reallybored
BigGee
EWT Spoons
RDW
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Edinburgh V Treviso Empty Edinburgh V Treviso

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:50 am

Edinburgh V Treviso

Edinburgh V Treviso Logo600 v Edinburgh V Treviso Getlibraryimage

Friday 15th September
Myreside
TV - nope  Rolling Eyes

Head to Head

14 Played 14
9 Wins 5
5 Losses 9
0 Draws 0
38 Tries 23

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh V Treviso Empty Re: Edinburgh V Treviso

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:03 am

On paper this should really be 3 from 3 for Edinburgh but Treviso put in a good shift against Ulster at the weekend and won't exactly be terrified at the prospect of playing Edinburgh.

Plenty of good points against the Dragons but a lot to work on too - our set piece will certainly need to be better and I think McInally needs to carry the can this week.

After this game we've got a tough block away to Scarlets then Leinster, so I'd like to keep the core of the team together for this opening run of 5 games for continuity and make some changes for the game at home to Zebre then the Challenge Cup run. I'm proposing to bring some squad players into the bench to get them up to speed this season.

1 Marfo / Rizzo (both pretty average!)
2 Ford
3 Nel
4 Bresler (think he'll be needed for the Italian set piece)
5 Toolis
6 Ritchie
7 Watson
8 Bradbury

9 SHC
10 Tovey - time to see what he can do (can't be worse than Weir!)
11 Harries
12 Fruean
13 Dean (if fit, Rasolea to 12 if not)
14 Hoyland
15 Kinghorn

Subs Marfo/Rizzo, Cochrane, Berghan, CHH, Mata, Fowles, Weir, Bryce

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:40 am

Was talking to one of the players during the Dragons game, and rumour is that Dickinson might be forced to call time on his playing career. Apparently his body isn’t responding to treatment as well as the doctors would like. They had to go back into his shoulder to dig out a load of scar tissue etc that doesn’t seem to be healing.

Still hopeful he’s come back but doesn’t look all that promising at this stage.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:43 am

That would be a shame - not a good way to finish for such a good player. It wouldn't be a major surprise though as he's basically been constantly injured for 2 seasons now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:48 am

Was McInally's injury picked up on tv?

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:50 am

Don't think so - I didn't see it?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:53 am

He got a head knock, don't think it required an HIA, but he was in a lot of pain when it happened. He was down for about 5 mins, but the ref played on so it probably wasn't picked up on camera as it would have been following play.

I can't remember if it happened in the first half or just before he was replaced.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:54 am

If it was early in the game it might explain his lineout throwing!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:22 am

CDP seems to be starting this season the way he finished the last, so it would be good to see someone else get a chance.

Mata was still in Fiji last we heard, visa problems, so if he is not back then maybe Ally Miller gets a run off the bench.

Maybe this is the game to give Farndale a run out as well. The game is not going to be won or lost out on the wing, so an opportunity to give someone else an opportunity.

McCallam, who was good enough for the Scotland squad in August, has not had a look in either. He was a bit of a star in amongst all the dross last season, so I can't see why he does not deserve a crack as well. All theae players will be required in the international window, so might as well get them bloodied sooner rather than later.

I am not suggesting whole sale changes, but a few tweaks against one of the weaker teams would maybe benefit the whole squad in the longer term.

Cockers did not sound to impressed with the performance on Friday night in any case, so you wonder if he might not be sharpening the knife.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:26 am

I really don't get the hate for Weir on this forum, some people can't wait to put the boot in.

Granted he had a poor first half, accentuate by the soft YC, but he was involved in two of the tries with good distribution, always puts his body on the line in defence and he's a great goal kicker, has he missed one yet this season?

Would much prefer he kept playing 80 minutes rather than a journey-man Welsh guy.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:27 am

All fair points Biggee - didn't realise Mata was in Fiji (how can he be having visa problems if he's already an ER employee and has been for a year?)

Wouldn't have any qualms with the changes you mentioned - McCallum made a good impact off the bench in pre-season and we've all been wanting to see what Farndale can do at this level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:50 am

reallybored wrote:I really don't get the hate for Weir on this forum, some people can't wait to put the boot in.

Granted he had a poor first half, accentuate by the soft YC, but he was involved in two of the tries with good distribution, always puts his body on the line in defence and he's a great goal kicker, has he missed one yet this season?

Would much prefer he kept playing 80 minutes rather than a journey-man Welsh guy.

To be honest I think the last couple of games have probably been the best I have seem him play for Edinburgh or Scotland….and that’s the issue I have with him. His absolute best is still just ok, his normal level is generally poor.

The last 2 games his defence has been good, but to be honest that doesn’t really require a huge amount of skill, or more specifically it’s possibly not the key skill for your 10 to have, it’s a nice bonus and you’d want your 10 to be able to do their job, but at the end of the game you don’t want to be calling out their defence being the best part of their game.

However, whilst he wasn’t great in either of the last two games, he was ok. He’s lost the ball in contact a couple of times and his daft yellow aside he did enough to continue. I mean if we had someone better on the bench or waiting to come in then I’d be all in favour of dropping him, but we don’t. Tovey stared well enough last season, but it didn’t last and Baggott is still young and learning. At this time I can’t say either should be in the team ahead of Weir.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:51 am

reallybored wrote:I really don't get the hate for Weir on this forum, some people can't wait to put the boot in.

I've generally stuck up for Weir but the point here is that Cockers has set high standards and Weir made a lot of errors - will Cockers tolerate that or set the precedent that if you don't perform you'll be dropped?

After a good performance in the first game he regressed to his old self against the Dragons.

I do agree his defence has been good though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

I can remember one kick out on the full and one pass to no-one that Toolis fumbled, what else?

His distribution was pretty solid too, maybe not got the zip that Russell has but he did play pretty flat.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm

He panicked in the Dragons 22 and did a grubber kick that got nowhere - all it needed was for him to keep a cool head and keep the ball in hand for a few phases and we should have scored. I think there were a few hospital passes during the game as well.

It was by no means a horror show but it brought back painful memories of him at his very worst last season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm

Weir needs consistency. He was OK in the the first game but made too many mistakes in the second one. Trouble is Edinburgh don't have too much choice do we and its interesting he played 80 mins of both games showing cockers has no one else he can trust. I hope #Weir comes good - a player with potential who looks like never acheiving it

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:That would be a shame - not a good way to finish for such a good player. It wouldn't be a major surprise though as he's basically been constantly injured for 2 seasons now.
That's really terrible - as sad as the likes of Thom Evans and Rory Lamont having to retire at their prime.

I would love to see the doctor's diagnosis:
"It seems that your whole body is Donald Ducked, Mr Dickinson".
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:42 pm

George Carlin wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:That would be a shame - not a good way to finish for such a good player. It wouldn't be a major surprise though as he's basically been constantly injured for 2 seasons now.
That's really terrible - as sad as the likes of Thom Evans and Rory Lamont having to retire at their prime.

I would love to see the doctor's diagnosis:
"It seems that your whole body is Donald Ducked, Mr Dickinson".

To be fair, I think that Dicko has gotten a lot more out of his career than either Evans or Lamont R. He has had a long and decent career and up till now has not suffered many serious injuries.

Unfortunately not many professional rugby players get to choose when they retire. There is a point when they all have to listen to medical advice and make some sensible decisions about the rest of their lives.

The time may be right for him to move on now.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Just to be clear, nothing is confirmed etc, just indications at this stage that he might need to, but again this was 2nd hand and they could be exaggerating.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:28 pm

This is the game to give Nel a break in. Scarlets and Leinster coming up. McCallum is unlucky that he is being considered a tighthead for the moment with Nel and Berghan healthy (and Dicko/Dell/Sutherland injured). He will get game time over the course of the season.

Weir has played 80 for 2 games. Tovey is not rated judging by that and Weir has had 1 poor half out of 4. Not too terrible.

CDP deserves to be dropped at this point. Mata or Miller needs to stand up and be counted in training. McInally was down for a while and will probably have to be dropped. Other than that the forwards are in a good place.

Marfo, Ford, Berghan, Bresler, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, SHC, Weir, Harries, Freuan, Dean, Hoyland, Kinghorn

Cochrane, Rizzo, McCallum, Carmichael/CHH, Miller/Mata, Kennedy, Tovey, Bryce

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:33 pm

Hazel Sapling wrote:This is the game to give Nel a break in. Scarlets and Leinster coming up. McCallum is unlucky that he is being considered a tighthead for the moment with Nel and Berghan healthy (and Dicko/Dell/Sutherland injured). He will get game time over the course of the season.

Weir has played 80 for 2 games. Tovey is not rated judging by that and Weir has had 1 poor half out of 4. Not too terrible.

CDP deserves to be dropped at this point. Mata or Miller needs to stand up and be counted in training. McInally was down for a while and will probably have to be dropped. Other than that the forwards are in a good place.

Marfo, Ford, Berghan, Bresler, Toolis, Ritchie, Watson, Bradbury, SHC, Weir, Harries, Freuan, Dean, Hoyland, Kinghorn

Cochrane, Rizzo, McCallum, Carmichael/CHH, Miller/Mata, Kennedy, Tovey, Bryce

Weir only played for 70 in the last game. If we're being technical.

Well actually he only actually "played" for about 20, the rest of the time he was just wandering about the place looking lost!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:14 pm

If we're being technical Tovey got on to the pitch vs Cardiff for a minute and got about 5 minutes against the Dragons so still less time than a HIA takes to be assessed.

Effectively Weir has played until the game was in no doubt.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:49 am

Is this game being broadcast on tv?

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:52 am

Apparently not

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:07 pm

Cockers has rotated things a bit - still a strong team.  More bulk in the pack.

Edinburgh V Treviso DJrde2sXoAAFZqO

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:14 pm

Still using the same group of core players. I would have liked to see him rotate in a few new ones for this game. He may now have to make those changes in the harder games coming up if Edinburgh pick up any injuries or the Scotland players need their mandatory rest weeks.

Still it looks a decent enough side that should really have the beating of the Italians. Maybe he is concentrating on the games that he feels should be winnable.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:22 pm

The internationals can play 5 games and that includes Scarlets and Leinster so he should only have to make changes come the Zebre game at home.

And to be fair 5 of the 8 in the pack didn't start last week, and Bradbury has moved position. That is quite a lot of rotation!

I agree though that CHH or Ali Miller wouldn't have massively weakened things on the bench and got them involved.

Last edited by RDW_Scotland on Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:24 pm

Head coach Richard Cockerill has named his Edinburgh side for the Guinness PRO14 clash against Benetton Rugby at Myreside tomorrow night (Friday 15 September, kick-off 7.35pm).

As Edinburgh look to maintain their perfect start to the new-look Guinness PRO14, Cockerill’s selection sees six changes to the starting XV that beat Dragons last weekend.

Sam Hidalgo-Clyne is the only alteration in an otherwise unchanged backline. The 24-year-old scrum-half is replaced by Nathan Fowles, who has featured off the bench in the first two games of the season so far.

At hooker, Ross Ford replaces the injured Stuart McInally and will make his 178th appearance in the black and red. He will pack-down alongside Michele Rizzo and Simon Berghan – who rotates in for Scottish international WP Nel.

Anton Bresler is the only change to the second-row as he replaces Grant Gilchrist. The back-row sees two changes as John Hardie and Cornell du Preez come in for Hamish Watson and last weekend’s man-of-the-match, Jamie Ritchie.

On his selection, Cockerill said: “We know that Benetton are going to be a tough side to break down. We need to make sure that we are accurate and physical, and that we treat them with the respect they are due.

“It’s an important game for us - the guys that have come into the side are really good players and it’s great that we are able to use the depth of our squad. We hope the guys who have come in can create competition for places.

“It’s another important game for us that we’re desperate to win. We had great support from those that came to watch us against Dragons last weekend and hopefully it will be the same again tomorrow night at Myrseside.”

Edinburgh team to play Benetton Rugby at Myreside in the Guinness PRO14 on Friday 15 September (kick-off 7.35pm)
15 Blair Kinghorn (44)

14 Damien Hoyland (49)
13 Chris Dean (44)
12 Robbie Fruean (1)
11 Jason Harries (2)

10 Duncan Weir (23)
9 Nathan Fowles (34)

1 Michele Rizzo (2)
2 Ross Ford (177)
3 Simon Berghan (33)
4 Anton Bresler (56)
5 Ben Toolis (71)
6 Magnus Bradbury (33) CAPTAIN
7 John Hardie (21)
8 Cornell du Preez (83)

Replacements:
16 Neil Cochrane (54)
17 Darryl Marfo (2)
18 WP Nel (105)
19 Fraser McKenzie (81)
20 Hamish Watson (73)
21 Sam Hidalgo-Clyne (84)
22 Jason Tovey (25)
23 Junior Rasolea (15)

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:14 pm

3 games in, is I admit, a bit early to tell, but not rotating players properly was a bug bear of previous Edinburgh coaches, Solly in particular.

The contrast with Glasgow is pretty stark, where all the noises are suggesting that more players will get their chance and everyone in the squad is contributing. We have been told that another 4 or so newbies will get their chance this week.

As I said, it is early days, but you don't want to be in the position of half your squad not feeling like they have anything to play for.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by des Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:36 pm

It depends what half your squad is.

I'll be going and will even put a bet on Treviso (plus covering the draw) so we can maintain our 100% win rate this season.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:50 pm

Looking into this in more detail....

Of the squad listed on the website, and not included those injured or unavailable (Mata), the only players who are yet to make an appearance are:

Backs - Sean Kennedy, Tom Brown, Hugh Fraser, Tom Galbraith

Forwards - Kevin Bryce, Murray McCallum, Lewis Carmichael, CHH, Ally Miller

And some of those are youngsters that weren't likely to get much gametime this season anyway - Hugh Fraser, Tom Galbraith, you could maybe even class academy graduates CHH and Miller in that too.

Again just to reiterate I completely agree that one of Solomons' biggest failings was not using the squad, but this is only the 3rd game so I'm not getting too worried yet!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:10 pm

BigGee wrote:3 games in, is I admit, a bit early to tell, but not rotating players properly was a bug bear of previous Edinburgh coaches, Solly in particular.

The contrast with Glasgow is pretty stark, where all the noises are suggesting that more players will get their chance and everyone in the squad is contributing. We have been told that another 4 or so newbies will get their chance this week.

As I said, it is early days, but you don't want to be in the position of half your squad not feeling like they have anything to play for.

Can't say i know too much about the two Scottish teams but hasn't Glasgow got alot more quality depth than Edinburgh?

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:20 pm

Welly wrote:
BigGee wrote:3 games in, is I admit, a bit early to tell, but not rotating players properly was a bug bear of previous Edinburgh coaches, Solly in particular.

Can't say i know too much about the two Scottish teams but hasn't Glasgow got alot more quality depth than Edinburgh?

Yes but they also avoid soap so the educated among us tend to keep away from them!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:28 pm

Welly wrote:

Glasgow's first choice team is certainly better but their biggest failing over the last two seasons has been their strength in depth, which Rennie has tried to address through his signings this season.

I wouldn't say Edinburgh have less strength in depth, but the big difference is Glasgow's best is better than Edinburgh's best!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Probably worth noting as well that Glasgow need a more in depth squad as they will be giving up considerably more players to the national squad at AI and 6N times and this will also mean that they need to be rested more in season when games are going on.

The Glasgow players came back from the 6N completely spent last year and our season died a death therafter. Cockers will actually be doing Glasgow a big favour if he can get more Edinburgh players up to a level where they might merit international recognition, which would relieve the pressure somewhat.

Still a way to go though. Hopefully this near first team choice will show what they are about against Benetton and make Toonie take note.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by des Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:00 pm

That's my bet placed so the result should be safe.

des

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:56 pm

Sounds like all Edinburgh in the first 15 minutes but no score

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Try Edinburgh - Chris Dean with another great line apparently!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:14 pm

Chris Dean has picked up a second try, he's certainly come a long way since last season, I'd imagine playing alongside Fruean does wonders for your confidence!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:24 pm

14-10 at half time

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:44 pm

14-13 now, it's all a bit too close for comfort

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 pm

14-10 Edinburgh with 2 Chris Dean tries and CDP playing well apparently.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:49 pm

All gone downhill - 14-20 Witt Bradbury yellow

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:02 pm

More than just a derby.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29-LRuuqFT0

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:15 pm

All or nothing with 5 minutes to go...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:19 pm

3 scrum penalties and no penalty try...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:20 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:3 scrum penalties and no penalty try...

4 penalties now, and a sin binned prop. It's now uncontested scrums.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Ffs they bin the Italian prop and now it's uncontested instead of a penalty try!!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 pm

Who the **** is the ref

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content