The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Open course hit by drought conditions

5 posters

Go down

Open course hit by drought conditions Empty Open course hit by drought conditions

Post by LadyPutt Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:29 am

This story appeared on the BBC (sorry if that's a dirty word) website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-13695883

I can confirm that it has been very dry in the south-east (apart from the last few days) and it could make for very interesting playing conditions, especially if the wind gets up (will Tiger make the journey, I wonder?). Feel sorry for the club members who won't be able to play on it after June 20th.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Open course hit by drought conditions Empty Re: Open course hit by drought conditions

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 10:57 am

Will be very interesting if that wind pucks up as well - fast running and windy links, ouch!

Princes and RCP are next door and are great courses so I'm sure the members will not be putting their sticks away just yet...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Open course hit by drought conditions Empty Re: Open course hit by drought conditions

Post by LadyPutt Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:32 am

Have played RCP and it is indeed a great test of golf. Sadly lost my club match on the 18th - never played the course before - but it was a good scrap. Am looking forward to going on practice day on Tuesday and then watching the whole thing unfold on HD TV!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:37 am

Absolutely love all three of them down there. RSG and RCP are a great test of golf but Prince's is nice if you want links that is not so brutal. That back 9 on RCP still gives me nightmares and RSG is the toughest course I've had the pleasure to play.

I went down on the practise day and final day in 2003 and the practise day was far far better. There's hardly anyone there so you get close to the players and because they usually go out in "mates" groups you get to hear them talking course management. In front of the TV is definitely the best place to be over the weekend!

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Thu 09 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

Strange, I was just thinking of posting an enquiry re RSG.

Get your money on Paul Lawrie idea

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

Best conditions i've ever played RSG are hard and dry, so with the breexe up this will be a great contest for the open championship and see some real quality rise to the top and no doubt some lesser knowns that are able to handle conditions.

As for RCP and Princes cannot recommend either of these highly enough fantastic links course and a real good test of your game and course management. But am going to throw another into the mix here and thats Littlestone my home track until last year brilliant course and great for all levels

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm

Mav, Littlestone is just such a good golf course. Do they still hold one of The Open qualifiers there?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 12:58 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Mav, Littlestone is just such a good golf course. Do they still hold one of The Open qualifiers there?

Harrison they do indeed still use the place, i'm still a social member as family still down there but moved to far away for it to be my regulary thrice weekly course to play at. Which still pains me to this day. It's somewhere i would recommend anyone play and yes i am biased but i love the course.

Just out of interest for all. Local Final Qualifying for the 2011 Open will be played on 28 June 2011 at Littlestone, Prince’s, Royal Cinque Ports and Rye.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:11 pm

Nothing to do with the qualifying on links courses but Wildernesse has been an Open qualifying course in the past and is also a really great track. Very tree lined and you have to work the ball well both ways round there to score well...

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:16 pm

Wildernesse is a pretty good track but not had the best greens in recent year IMO. A track i do like out that way though is Knowle Park

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:18 pm

Haven't played Wildernesse for a few years so thats a shame to hear. Have only played Knowle Park a couple of times but remember constantly cleaning deer excrement from my ball.

Have you played Hever?

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Thu 09 Jun 2011, 1:32 pm

sharrison01 wrote:Haven't played Wildernesse for a few years so thats a shame to hear. Have only played Knowle Park a couple of times but remember constantly cleaning deer excrement from my ball.

Have you played Hever?

yes that is a slight issue with Knowle Park, but a lovely course and was the home of Samuel Ryder for his later years.

Have played Hever yes, played their last year with a friend of mine a very good =4 amateur and current GM of euro pro tour as part of a pro-am there last year before the Euro pro event. Have to say was a l ovey place to play first time i'd played it, was hoping to get back their this year but injury has scuppered my entire season

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue 14 Jun 2011, 10:31 am

"Feel sorry for the club members who won't be able to play on it after June 20th.."

Hi Ladyputt. According to that report ...

"The dry conditions mean the course is being closed to the public a little earlier than expected and there will be no further play from 20 June."

... it may not necessarily include members although I'd expect them to be chucked off well in advance of the event even in normal circumstances. I think the Old Course was closed for a month before at last year's event.

"The dry conditions mean the course is being closed to the public a little earlier than expected and there will be no further play from 20 June."

In any event, I'm not worried about the course itself. It will recover quickly. I cite Hoylake by way of example.

Twill be fun to witness bump n'run stuff.

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down