The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2018 Aims and ambitions

+15
JAS
Davie
raycastleunited
I'm never wrong
turnip
McLaren
Roller_Coaster
pedro
Shotrock
SmithersJones
BlueCoverman
kwinigolfer
beninho
Diggers
super_realist
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

2018 Aims and ambitions - Page 2 Empty 2018 Aims and ambitions

Post by super_realist Mon 01 Jan 2018, 10:54 am

First topic message reminder :

It's that time of year again. New year, new hope.

So far the winter has been terrible and I've probably only played 20% of the time I played this time last winter.

This year I'd like to get over the final hurdle of getting down to scratch and getting further than my disappointing 1st Round Knockout in the Club Champs, but might be hindered by living further from a practice facility.

What have you all got in mind for 2018 golf?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

2018 Aims and ambitions - Page 2 Empty Re: 2018 Aims and ambitions

Post by puligny Tue 16 Jan 2018, 12:57 pm

JAS - you have maximum opportunity for English as the handicap cut off is day of the draw, not entry date as it is for many others. Great courses this year as well.
I will see you at Kingsdown. Nice course with a few quirky bits - greens always been in great shape and very fast, even so early in the year.
I’m hoping to play more again this year. Did myself a bit of damage early in ‘17 which resulted in some knee surgery. Had a few (optimistic) false starts after that, but missed a lot of golf, and then had a bit of an incident with an HGV in Scotland which damaged an arm. Initially thought that was ok but again a little optimistic! Hey ho finally got going in October and finished the year at Trevose with a 1 over gross second round in early November to retrieve a few 0.1s!! Can’t wait for ‘18 Comps to get underway - Hayling 10.4 is first for me, and Kingsdown following week.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 16 Jan 2018, 2:22 pm

Damn, definitely miss Hayling as I’ll still be in Hawaii, will prob miss Kingsdown as well as that would be first week back at work :-( Might do the 18 Hole one in June.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 16 Jan 2018, 2:33 pm

Hayling or Hawaii? No contest - pass Pompey and turn right off the A27!!!!! Stay safe now!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 16 Jan 2018, 3:43 pm

“Stay safe now”?? Ha ha, to think they had a scare at the weekend regarding an inbound missile alert. I wonder if me knifing one off the 1st tee will trigger the same alarms :/

Last edited by JAS on Tue 16 Jan 2018, 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 16 Jan 2018, 6:45 pm

Scrap all my 2018 plans, I'll settle for a game right now. Have barely played since November.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 17 Jan 2018, 1:28 pm

super_realist wrote:Scrap all my 2018 plans, I'll settle for a game right now. Have barely played since November.
Snap! A few visits to the range and I was getting interested in trying out my new swing (well, the old one which I've rediscovered) and then down came the white stuff!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 17 Jan 2018, 3:28 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
super_realist wrote:Scrap all my 2018 plans, I'll settle for a game right now. Have barely played since November.
Snap! A few visits to the range and I was getting interested in trying out my new swing (well, the old one which I've rediscovered) and then down came the white stuff!

That's quite enough about your cocaine habit LP Very Happy

We've managed to play just about every weekend I think, pretty good winter for being able to play and for how I'm playing too. Leading our (4BBB matchplay) winter league (thus far!), won December medal gross and net and won one of our 9 holers last Sunday (-2 gross which was a surprise after a few wines the night before and a 25-30 mph wind).

Hope you get out soon, I hate a golf free weekend. Sure fire way to a grumpy Monday!

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 29 Jan 2018, 7:20 am

Finally the golfing year gears up a bit, two rounds, one in 30mph winds and one in drizzly mist, but it's a start. Onwards and upwards.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Mon 29 Jan 2018, 3:36 pm

I've just discovered that my handicap has been revised up by one shot during the annual review Very Happy  Now if only March would come around (never play in the winter) so I can put the work I've been doing at the range into practice and start winning a few things.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 29 Jan 2018, 6:05 pm

Havent hit a ball in around 18 months with the hip issue and operation.
Starting again this week on the range with a decision to make in April as to rejoining.
.I'm thinking the biggest issue is just the physical side- 18 hole walk'You get well out of shape with the inactivity.Have kept my clubs in the hallway all that time to remind me!

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 29 Jan 2018, 8:14 pm

super

Have you had sex in 2018? If not that has to be an aim for the year.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 29 Jan 2018, 10:37 pm

So childish, yet so funny

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 29 Jan 2018, 11:37 pm

Well, he did say he had a round in drizzly mist..

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 30 Jan 2018, 7:59 am

McLaren wrote:super

Have you had sex in 2018?  If not that has to be an aim for the year.

Quite funny for you Mac.

I love it though how you behave like you're some sort of lothario.

I can't imagine the type of woman you have who is content to go out with someone who is into A) Golf, B) Spectating football, C) F1, D) Golf course architecture E) High School Musical, has a crap job, income and travels by bus everywhere. She must be very "special".

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 30 Jan 2018, 12:11 pm

super

I think you'll find it was Glee that I watched.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 30 Jan 2018, 2:59 pm

Ha ha, that makes it all better Mac.

You're certainly on fire (figuratively) comedically today!

clap

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Tue 30 Jan 2018, 4:00 pm

dynamark wrote:Havent hit a ball in around 18 months with the hip issue and operation.
Starting again this week on the range with a decision to make in April as to rejoining.
.I'm thinking the biggest issue  is just the physical side- 18 hole walk'You get well out of shape with the inactivity.Have kept my clubs in the hallway all that time to remind me!
I was out of action for about the same length of time after I had both my hips replaced but then I didn't really play seriously for about 8 years, just the occasional game with LordPutt either on holiday abroad or when I could fit it in round work at bank holidays. I rather lost the enthusiasm and so let my club membership, and therefore my handicap, lapse. But now we've moved and I'm retired, I've got the buzz back, put in my card and regained my handicap and although I don't play in the winter (can't stand the cold and wet or the wind), I'm loving golf in the spring/summer/autumn. Don't rush it but you'll know when the time is right for you.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 31 Jan 2018, 5:52 pm

Talking about it last night over a beer .All those years of 8 am Saturday and Tuesday evenings until it was dark seems an age ago now but I have a number of mates who enjoy weekday golf for fun rather than competition.Weekends away and seniors opens .
Bit of encouragement yesterday from a friends lad who I bumped into at the gym.he turned pro about six years back and still as keen as ever Portugal for a couple of weeks then challenge tour
events still a great game to be involved with

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 05 Jun 2018, 7:05 pm

Been a bit quiet on here lately so thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

It's halfway through the season, how's everyone's game's going?

I'm having a shocker, up 0.7 so far already, but hopefully turned the corner, just in time for Club Champs Qualifying at weekend.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:38 am

super_realist wrote:Been a bit quiet on here lately so thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

I'm having a shocker, up 0.7 so far already, but hopefully turned the corner, just in time for Club Champs Qualifying at weekend.

Wish you hadn't resurrected lol, after a promising start and a wee cut on my first Senior Open at Kingsdown, I've boarded the 0.1 train and it doesn't appear to want to stop. Made the mistake of entering a 36 hole Open at Perranporth a couple of weeks ago, absolute chop-fest, quirky course, tricky conditions and it all went wrong on the day.
Confidence now at rock bottom but feeling like I've never struck it better on the range (how conflicted does that sound??), started the season at 6.2 went to 6.0 and now at 6.6. bad round this weekend will be 7 in a row and will see me up to 7.7 (with the new Congu rules). Yet in matchplay things are going well, take out the medal destroying 2-3 bad holes and I'm competitive. Good test tonight in the singles against my former doubles partner, who's off scratch, no expectations but a win would be a big confidence booster.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Wed 06 Jun 2018, 8:50 am

My game’s going up and down like a tart’s knickers, as my old mum used to say! A .4 cut last Wednesday put me down to 24, followed by a .1 increase on Saturday which put me back to 25 Rolling Eyes On the other hand, I won the semi-final of the handicap knockout on Monday on the 19th so at least my match play game seems In good shape. Let’s see what today’s medal brings.
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm

super_realist wrote:Been a bit quiet on here lately so thought I'd resurrect this old thread.

And someone has given this post a negative vote.... probably because your comment is offensive to people who have been electrocuted.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 07 Jun 2018, 6:34 pm

raycastleunited wrote:

And someone has given this post a negative vote.... probably because your comment is offensive to people who have been electrocuted.

Some petty, bitter, sad individual no doubt.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Fri 08 Jun 2018, 9:35 am

JAS wrote:

Wish you hadn't resurrected lol, after a promising start and a wee cut on my first Senior Open at Kingsdown, I've boarded the 0.1 train and it doesn't appear to want to stop. Made the mistake of entering a 36 hole Open at Perranporth a couple of weeks ago, absolute chop-fest, quirky course, tricky conditions and it all went wrong on the day.
Confidence now at rock bottom but feeling like I've never struck it better on the range (how conflicted does that sound??), started the season at 6.2 went to 6.0 and now at 6.6. bad round this weekend will be 7 in a row and will see me up to 7.7 (with the new Congu rules). Yet in matchplay things are going well, take out the medal destroying 2-3 bad holes and I'm competitive. Good test tonight in the singles against my former doubles partner, who's off scratch, no expectations but a win would be a big confidence booster.

Ok didn't get the win but was back on handicap for the first time in about 6 weeks, unfortunately my opponent was 3 under gross, disappointed to be out but there were enough positives to see it as a possible turning point from the rubbish of the past few weeks. The rest of June is busy with the Club champs, Senior Club Champs and County Senior champs so good to be finding positives now.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2