The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

+21
Stone Motif
PhilBB
LordDowlais
Cardiff Dave
mikey_dragon
Brendan
TightHEAD
ScarletSpiderman
Welshmushroom
Welly
formerly known as Sam
geoff999rugby
SecretFly
Steffan
dragon4life
BamBam
Geordie
international198
Kingshu
No9
XR
25 posters

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by munkian Thu 30 Nov 2017, 1:58 pm

First topic message reminder :

RiscaGame wrote:Their backs. Wow.

Jackman really can't settle on a hooker mind.

Just saw Simon Thomas tweet Leon Brown has suffered a second concussion. If that's so, I wonder if that means the first wasn't really dealt with properly?

Are you sure ? I've read it that he suffered a concussion so he hasn't been picked INCASE he suffers another.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by RiscaGame Sat 24 Mar 2018, 9:39 am

Yes, I agree. Trouble is we will never be in a position to get those players, as the better ones will go elsewhere. We will just remain in the position where we have to hope we polish your Suters etc or that Nicky Thomas really means it this time when he says he’s getting fit.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings  - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread 2017/18 - New Beginnings

Post by Stone Motif Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:11 am

RiscaGame wrote:Yes, I agree. Trouble is we will never be in a position to get those players, as the better ones will go elsewhere. We will just remain in the position where we have to hope we polish your Suters etc or that Nicky Thomas really means it this time when he says he’s getting fit.

Tight head I'm not so worried about - Brown isn't a good scrummager but can shift and last night aside Fairbrother has been OK value. But unless the last couple of signings are a war daddy loosehead and four we're wasting our time. Budget can't be an excuse we've got the cash to afford luxury signings, if these two positions aren't improved Jackman is a charlatan.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:49 am

We have been promised a second row, but I don’t hold out much hope.

I’m playing against Simon Shaw today and he has bought new boots, so maybe it’s him Wink

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 24 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

RiscaGame wrote:We have been promised a second row, but I don’t hold out much hope.

I’m playing against Simon Shaw today and he has bought new boots, so maybe it’s him Wink

At least there aren't many sh/t Welsh second rows been discarded by the pro tier here in Wales about. Are there?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2018, 1:26 pm

I don’t think we produce enough big locks here in Wales to have a surplus and therefore find any being offloaded to the English prem/championship, and thus be available for the Dragons to pick up. They’re like rocking horse sh*t!

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 24 Mar 2018, 2:09 pm

The Oracle wrote:I don’t think we produce enough big locks here in Wales to have a surplus and therefore find any being offloaded to the English prem/championship, and thus be available for the Dragons to pick up. They’re like rocking horse sh*t!
You're right. Number 8's are the same.Just as well, really, or we'd be queueing up another affinity signing.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2018, 2:22 pm

I’m really not up on my lock exports, but can only really think of Charteris, Dominic Day and Damian Welch that left in recent-ish times. Welch is back at the Blues. Day is at Sarries according to Google - if he’s good enough for them then might he suit the Dragons?! Charteris - is he what we need? Not sure he’s the powerhouse enforcer that we want? Again, that type of lock (your Bakkies more than your Victor) are rare and command big big salaries.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 24 Mar 2018, 2:26 pm

Oops, Lou Reed at Sale and Ian Evans at Bristol too. I used to really rate Evans when he was playing for Wales and at the top of his game. Not sure if he fell out with Gatland but his fall from the team was immediate rather than gradual. Sort of went from being there to never being there again!

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 24 Mar 2018, 5:15 pm

Evans retired due to his knee injury, which is a shame as he had a few good playing-years left in him. I can't see anything good happening next season, we don't have the nous or players. It's probably a little late to get Dom Day, and Charteris is probably going to retire soon.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 24 Mar 2018, 5:51 pm

The Oracle wrote:Oops, Lou Reed at Sale and Ian Evans at Bristol too. I used to really rate Evans when he was playing for Wales and at the top of his game. Not sure if he fell out with Gatland but his fall from the team was immediate rather than gradual. Sort of went from being there to never being there again!

Evans is retired. He's s notorious p/ss head isn't he? I've seen him acting a right see you next Tuesday in Cardiff on international days.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 24 Mar 2018, 5:59 pm

The Oracle wrote:I’m really not up on my lock exports, but can only really think of Charteris, Dominic Day and Damian Welch that left in recent-ish times. Welch is back at the Blues. Day is at Sarries according to Google - if he’s good enough for them then might he suit the Dragons?! Charteris - is he what we need? Not sure he’s the powerhouse enforcer that we want? Again, that type of lock (your Bakkies more than your Victor) are rare and command big big salaries.
Again, big salaries is not an excuse - we could afford to pay over the odds for a vanity signing in Moriarty and have been hoovering up backs in arguably our strongest positions for fun. The money could have been better invested - bet either of the Cheetahs locks from last night would move north and be better value than most of our signings.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Sat 24 Mar 2018, 8:39 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:Just seen the Dragons are after Michael Collins, welsh qualified utility back/centre.  

It seems like this isn’t happening and seems to have stemmed from a Bristol Post clickbait non story. I’m sure Simon Thomas said on Twitter, he spoke to the player and it’s not happening.

That’s a shame. He is a tidy player, not going to set the world alight, but not going to let people down either. It’s amazing how the rumour mill works I guess
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 26 Mar 2018, 10:24 am

RiscaGame wrote:For all the talk of we are blooding players which will serve us well next season and we will be adding to our squad, it would be nice to know that there is some sort of attacking template for them to come into. I can’t see any, save for send one man up carrying.

It was awful to watch. You'll never outmuscle a side from South Africa, especially if you make it that easy for them to defend. The forwards just took it in turns to run into contact.

The other thing that was poor is that if we moved the ball one way, that's the way the ball kept going - there wasn't even a dummy runner half the time, to even make them think we might cut back inside. It was hopelessly bad. The Cheetahs will have had tougher training sessions.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 27 Mar 2018, 5:12 pm

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/16119538.Dragons_fly_half_Jones_joins_Worcester_on_loan/

Still, it's not all doom and gloom
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 27 Mar 2018, 6:19 pm

Ha. It is when Zane is back on ten cover.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 27 Mar 2018, 6:53 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Ha. It is when Zane is back on ten cover.

Thanks. Do you do motivational speeches?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 27 Mar 2018, 8:46 pm

Haha. Of course. They’re my speciality, as you can tell.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:10 pm

Phil Price now a permanent employee with Scarlets IE no longer on loan. He has signed for '2018-19 and beyond.' Hopefully they can teach him how to scrum.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 03 Apr 2018, 8:13 pm

Interestingly, Pivac has declared (again) that Scarlets are not signing North. They got fed up of waiting and are apparently set to sign Blommetjies from Cheetahs. So it looks like we will be signing North after all Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Apr 2018, 10:31 am

Apparently not:

'(Jackman) held talks with North but the region have had no feedback from the Lions star and are expecting a decision about his destination shortly, although they expect it to be one of their rivals to the west.

'The dual deal will see the WRU picking up 60 per cent of the tab for North but that would still leave the Dragons having to pay a sizeable sum for a player that they wouldn’t see too often.

'As such they have pressed on in their bid to strengthen more urgent needs rather than bolstering their well-stocked back three, even if it was with world-class North.

'They have focussed primarily on adding a hard-hitting lock with an overseas recruit set to join Wales international Cory Hill, Rynard Landman and Joe Davies once the paperwork is complete.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/16134820.Dragons_focused_on_top_lock__not_North/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 04 Apr 2018, 11:07 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Apparently not:

'(Jackman) held talks with North but the region have had no feedback from the Lions star and are expecting a decision about his destination shortly, although they expect it to be one of their rivals to the west.

'The dual deal will see the WRU picking up 60 per cent of the tab for North but that would still leave the Dragons having to pay a sizeable sum for a player that they wouldn’t see too often.

'As such they have pressed on in their bid to strengthen more urgent needs rather than bolstering their well-stocked back three, even if it was with world-class North.

'They have focussed primarily on adding a hard-hitting lock with an overseas recruit set to join Wales international Cory Hill, Rynard Landman and Joe Davies once the paperwork is complete.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/16134820.Dragons_focused_on_top_lock__not_North/

Music to my ears. I'd have had Bloomtejies over North an all, annoyed we could have got him instead of Jordan feckin Williams, not looking forward to his Matthew Morgan impersonation next season. Only down side is why he hell are we after another fly half? Unless Gav is done...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 04 Apr 2018, 1:47 pm

Dragons squad looks so weak for our little Italian jolly. There are still some strange decisions in there like not taking Nicky Thomas and we inevitably suffer from letting Dorian go on loan and letting two of our better players go to the CG. Our backrow could really do with Jumbo there, in the absence of Griffiths.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:02 pm

Any reason Griffiths isn't playing ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:15 pm

We're going to end up with two league wins, I know it. What a dreadful state of affairs. Yes, we've blooded a load of players, but I doubt they'll have enjoyed losing every week.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

Next year Rodney, next year...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:42 pm

munkian wrote:Any reason Griffiths isn't playing ?

No reason given in the SWA. It only mentioned the two 9s (I think).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 04 Apr 2018, 2:50 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:We're going to end up with two league wins, I know it. What a dreadful state of affairs. Yes, we've blooded a load of players, but I doubt they'll have enjoyed losing every week.

https://www.606v2.com/t65924p50-dragons-season-thread-2017-18-new-beginnings?highlight=Dragons

Makes for interesting reading, and not just because yours truly appears to have been bang on the money. Where's Gavin when you need him for a rendition of SUFTMOG...
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 04 Apr 2018, 6:01 pm

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:Apparently not:

I thought it was likely that he'd go to a team playing champions cup rugby. As far as I know Blues will be in there and Ospreys have a good chance - both need a winger.

We're still rumoured to be chasing a lock? Then why don't they just get him before there's nobody left... meanwhile Pivac continues to raid Super Rugby teams and pick up seasoned pro's who will be available for his team all year. Jackman on other hand... I think he's actually made us worse which I didn't think was even possible.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:51 am

Scott Andrew (Lock) off to Neath
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 05 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

Cry
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

If anyone's interested:

Benetton: J Hayward, L Sperandio, T Benvenuti, A Sgarbi (captain), M Ioane, T Allan, T Tebaldi, F Zani, T Baravalle, S Ferrari, F Ruzza, M Lazzaroni, M Barbini, A Steyn, R Barbieri. Replacements: H Faiva, C Traore, T Pasquali, A Zanni, S Negri, N Manu, T Iannone, M Banks.

Dragons: Z Kirchner, A Hewitt, S Beard, C Edwards, J Rosser, A Robson, O Leonard, G Ellis, E Dee, L Fairbrother, C Hill (captain), R Landman, H Keddie, A Wainwright, L Evans. Replacements: L Belcher, L Garrett, D Suter, J Davies, T Basham, C Davies, A Warren, R Dyer.

Referee: Andrew Brace (Ireland)

'Tomorrow’s hosts sit just a place above the Dragons in Conference B but enjoy a whopping 28-point lead and triumphed 18-15 when the sides met at Rodney Parade.

Benetton have a record of nine wins and nine defeats from their 18 games.'

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/sport/dragons/16142315.TEAM_NEWS__Leonard_starts_for_Dragons_at_Benetton/

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 06 Apr 2018, 12:48 pm

I can see them taking us to the cleaners.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Fri 06 Apr 2018, 1:36 pm

To shreds you say ?

Another of ours off to Neath too. Prop, forget his name, must've been good then.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 06 Apr 2018, 2:48 pm

Green half backs, zero impact off bench...

Still, at least Lord D will get to write his usual unfunny troll.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:44 am

I don’t get why Jackman has Luke Garrett on the bench, given that he is off. Why not have that Reynolds on there. Yeah he’s young, but he’s going to be one of your options for next season, so you have to blood him.

Halfbacks are inexperienced, but I’m happier seeing Leonard there than Charlie Davies.

Clear BP win for Treviso. Sooner this season ends, the better. I can’t wait to see what Jackman does next season, when he has played all his free passes this one. Sounds like we are only signing two more players too, so really I can’t say things will be much better next season, given that other teams aren’t standing still either and our better players are still going to miss chunks of the season. It seems that a lot of our support have been suckered in by the promise of Josh Adams etc and they’re not happening.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:17 am

RiscaGame wrote:I don’t get why Jackman has Luke Garrett on the bench, given that he is off. Why not have that Reynolds on there. Yeah he’s young, but he’s going to be one of your options for next season, so you have to blood him.

Halfbacks are inexperienced, but I’m happier seeing Leonard there than Charlie Davies.

Clear BP win for Treviso. Sooner this season ends, the better. I can’t wait to see what Jackman does next season, when he has played all his free passes this one. Sounds like we are only signing two more players too, so really I can’t say things will be much better next season, given that other teams aren’t standing still either and our better players are still going to miss chunks of the season. It seems that a lot of our support have been suckered in by the promise of Josh Adams etc and they’re not happening.

Nothing about our recruitment suggests Jackman knows what he's doing. It's the most important job of a coach. All the recruitment suggests to me is he's either committed to trying to mug teams in 42-41 games of Super Rugby esque gay abandon in the Welsh winter, or he's a patsy cow-towing to he WRU propaganda machine randomly bringing players home. Or both.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Apr 2018, 11:59 am

Both, I would say.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 07 Apr 2018, 6:01 pm

No Lord Dowlais yet?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 07 Apr 2018, 6:34 pm

The comeback is on Laugh

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 07 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

What was I saying about us going balls out to win high-scoring games? We can expect more of this nonsense next season - oh until all the other teams in the league remember they can just murder us in a slugfest instead
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:04 pm

When I saw the halftime score thought they'd get beat bad

Good to see they still have a bit of a fight left in them. They were unlucky but would have been hard on Treviso if they lost

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 07 Apr 2018, 8:23 pm

In better news. Risca 58-21 Dowlais.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sat 07 Apr 2018, 9:56 pm

I just can't see much of a difference next season. Early on I was hopeful but we haven't gone on and signed enough top flight players. Guys like Dee, Brown, Hill, Griffiths and some other young'uns in the back-row is a good unit to build a team around had they been supplemented by the right players. Instead we have 'Bevington', and Hibbard coming off the bench to add impact... We could probably still do with another 10. Admittedly I'm not that clued up on some of the youngsters in the back division, but Arwel Robson seems to be doing well, and Connor Edwards got onto the scoresheet today.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 08 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

Only we could come back like that and then throw it away on the last play.

Hopefully we can take that second half into Zebre, but I can’t say I’ll be holding my breath.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 9:51 am

A defence coach would be nice.

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:00 am

The only real difference is that we leaked tries in the first half instead of the second.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:18 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The only real difference is that we leaked tries in the first half instead of the second.

Was their last minute match winning penalty as dubious as Jackman has made out ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:34 am

munkian wrote:
Luckless Pedestrian wrote:The only real difference is that we leaked tries in the first half instead of the second.

Was their last minute match winning penalty as dubious as Jackman has made out ?

On Scrum V that respected scrum expert Nicky Robinson (!) thought it was dubious and reckoned it wouldn't have been given at RP. Sean Holley, the font of all knowledge (!), sat next to him looking unconvinced.

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:55 am

Every season you lot are on here, mocking me, every season you lot are on here moaning about how crap your team is, it's the same every season with you lot, and you pay decent money for the privilege yet I am the clueless one.

It's not even worth debating with most of you on here anymore, Dragons have been an embarrassment for over a decade now, and still here we are. The WRU need to seriously consider where they are going next with this failed enterprise. They are a waste of good money that could be spent elsewhere.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:57 am

LordDowlais wrote:Every season you lot are on here, mocking me, every season you lot are on here moaning about how crap your team is, it's the same every season with you lot, and you pay decent money for the privilege yet I am the clueless one.

It's not even worth debating with most of you on here anymore, Dragons have been an embarrassment for over a decade now, and still here we are. The WRU need to seriously  consider where they are going next with this failed enterprise. They are a waste of good money that could be spent elsewhere.

drumroll
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 16 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12 ... 16  Next