The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scarlets v Toulon

+17
lostinwales
eirebilly
LordDowlais
Rugby Fan
VinceWLB
Cardiff Dave
TJ
formerly known as Sam
Steffan
mckay1402
No 7&1/2
LeinsterFan4life
Artful_Dodger
RiscaGame
BigGee
whocares
RDW
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Scarlets v Toulon Empty Scarlets v Toulon

Post by RDW Sat 20 Jan 2018, 5:54 pm

What a game this is! Utterly bonkers.

17-15 Scarlets after 22 minutes.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Scarlets v Toulon Empty Re: Scarlets v Toulon

Post by whocares Sat 20 Jan 2018, 5:57 pm

Have to say I didn’t expect much when I switched on 10 minutes ago but there is some actual rugby being played there Smile

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 Jan 2018, 5:59 pm

Great to see the stadium full too

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:00 pm

This is a crazy game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:08 pm

Lots of attacking intent from Scarlets but Toulon showing no intensity in defence - all a bit too easy

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:18 pm

Really enjoyable half.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Jan 2018, 6:52 pm

Toulon going into grind them down mode.

Scarlets need to keep the game open

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:23 pm

Great shift Scarlets, well played.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:26 pm

Huge win!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:28 pm

Great win for Scarlets

Good to see them being able to dig it out as well as play the fancy stuff

They have got Ashton to thank for giving away that stupid penalty and reliving the enormous pressure that they were under.

Well done boyos!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:42 pm

What changes will have to be made to the competition if no English teams make it to the QFs this year?

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:50 pm

Ha. There appears to be fewer complaints this year all around. Glad you're finally able to like the comp again!

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:53 pm

So Scarlets will play Toulon again in the quarters. Doesn't seem right
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:54 pm

mckay1402 wrote:So Scarlets will play Toulon again in the quarters.  Doesn't seem right

There's plenty rugby still to be played before that's decided surely?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 20 Jan 2018, 7:56 pm

Didn't watch the match as had the Cardiff City game on but good win for Llanelli and looked liked a full house for a change. They obviously did a lot better than their west Wales counterparts Swansea did against Clermont earlier. Which wasn't hard given the performance from the "Spreys"

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by mckay1402 Sat 20 Jan 2018, 8:05 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
mckay1402 wrote:So Scarlets will play Toulon again in the quarters.  Doesn't seem right

There's plenty rugby still to be played before that's decided surely?

Possibly but as it stands it'll be Toulon again
mckay1402
mckay1402

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 20 Jan 2018, 9:44 pm

Steffan wrote:Didn't watch the match as had the Cardiff City game on but good win for Llanelli and looked liked a full house for a change. They obviously did a lot better than their west Wales counterparts Swansea did against Clermont earlier. Which wasn't hard given the performance from the "Spreys"

Tumbleweed

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Jan 2018, 9:12 am

LeinsterFan4life wrote:What changes will have to be made to the competition if no English teams make it to the QFs this year?

You're welcome for the improvements.

Looks like a stellar year for the Irish and Welsh. Big statement of intent from the Scarlets in dominating such a tough pool and Leinster are absolutely flying. The AP sides are looking pretty average though Exeter might feel somewhat aggrieved given the refereeing decisions that went against them. Can't say many French teams are catching the eye either. Should be Pro whatever number it is now hands on the trophy this year.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 21 Jan 2018, 9:42 am

I am certain there will be cries of " its not fair" from the PRL and there will be an attempt to tip it towards the ap teams again. funny that twice the money does not buy you success.

given the poor showing of the ap teams do they really deserve 6 automatic places? I thought is was supposed to be a meriticracy these days well on merit few ap teams shouldn't be there

teasing really but I bet there is moaning from the prl

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:17 am

Similar to the cries of it not being fair last year from a certain league. As I said last year these things run in circles. Still need yo base all places on merit though and let the Italians fight for it.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:19 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Similar to the cries of it not being fair last year from a certain league. As I said last year these things run in circles. Still need yo base all places on merit though and let the Italians fight for it.

That is happening this season - the top 3 in each Pro 14 conference automatically qualify and the 4th placed teams have a playoff for the final spot.

The saffer teams aren't included in that though

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:29 am

All good then. But because of that last point I expect we'll have to relook at it as if the sa are in it for the long haul seems fixing they should be included in this I'd have thought.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Cardiff Dave Sun 21 Jan 2018, 10:47 am

My Turk neighbour aint home yet.
Still drinking Llanelli dry, i'd wager.

Cardiff Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sun 21 Jan 2018, 12:50 pm

7 1/2 - IIRC you were one of the folk I argued with a lot over the new format. I'll confess its not been the disaster I thought. the 7th team coming to the pro 12 helps but its still to biased towards the french and english. IMO

Do you want a bet there is cries of "foul" from Wray and his ilk?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Jan 2018, 1:08 pm

Doubt it. It'll always be based on leagues now rather than ensuring a mix of teams from all nations imo. As above though thinking about it if the sa teams are set in stone we probably do need to think about that and how it works. I haven't read anything which says they'll be allowed in; anyone else?

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Jan 2018, 2:02 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Doubt it. It'll always be based on leagues now rather than ensuring a mix of teams from all nations imo. As above though thinking about it if the sa teams are set in stone we probably do need to think about that and how it works. I haven't read anything which says they'll be allowed in; anyone else?

Well Cheetahs are likely going to be in a qualifying spot this season, which is going to raise questions about other teams in that conference getting a free pass in their absence. So it won't be long before the question does come up.

It is a big incentive for the SA teams in the league to be involved and I can't see why the should not be included going forward if they are going to be an integral part of the leagues.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 21 Jan 2018, 2:27 pm

I think the inclusion of the SA teams in Europe is simply inconceivable, in terms of logistics.. Simply not on.

I'm watching Tigers-Racing in the snow right now, watched Cheetahs-Kings in 32°C in Bloemfontein this morning!

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 21 Jan 2018, 2:39 pm

BigGee wrote:It is a big incentive for the SA teams in the league to be involved and I can't see why the should not be included going forward if they are going to be an integral part of the leagues.

It would unbalance the competition if one pool included a team which required the others to schlep down to South Africa for the away fixtures. Leicester and Racing are currently playing in snow but it's 31 degrees in Bloemfontein. That's an entirely different challenge, requiring different preparation, and potemtially even a different match day squad.

Where the tournament structure has best runners-up qualifying for later rounds, then all teams ought to face roughly similar challenges.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Jan 2018, 2:48 pm

Well hethe comp is about the best 3 leagues playing each other it needs to be discussed.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Jan 2018, 2:48 pm

VinceWLB wrote:I think the inclusion of the SA teams in Europe is simply inconceivable, in terms of logistics.. Simply not on.

I'm watching Tigers-Racing in the snow right now, watched Cheetahs-Kings in 32°C in Bloemfontein this morning!

It makes it difficult, but not impossible. The Pro 14 teams are having to do it this year and the time zones are favourable.

Glasgow had to play Exeter away in the cup the week after going to Bloemfontain. It probably did effect us in that game, but no one used it as an excuse and the match was close enough. With the benefit of hindsight, they would probably have rotated the team a bit more to keep some players fresher.

Some sympathetic scheduling by the organisers would help to facilitate it, seven or eight day turnarounds and no six dayers.

It don't know if it more of a disadvantage for either side to have to deal with the cold, or the heat and the altitude. It probably all evens up at the end of the day and it would certainly add a new dimension (and audience) to the tournament.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Jan 2018, 3:02 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:
BigGee wrote:It is a big incentive for the SA teams in the league to be involved and I can't see why the should not be included going forward if they are going to be an integral part of the leagues.

It would unbalance the competition if one pool included a team which required the others to schlep down to South Africa for the away fixtures. Leicester and Racing are currently playing in snow but it's 31 degrees in Bloemfontein. That's an entirely different challenge, requiring different preparation, and potemtially even a different match day squad.

Where the tournament structure has best runners-up qualifying for later rounds, then all teams ought to face roughly similar challenges.

The competition has been unbalanced for years, with the inclusion of weaker teams based on nationality and not merit. Even now it is a massive advantage to draw the Italian team in your group.

That is finally being addressed and I support that, even though it does not guarantee Scottish participation. If we are good enough, then we will qualify and that is the way it has to be. A champions league has to be merit based.

If you are going to have a league based qualification system though, how can you claim to truly be the European Champions if you are excluding teams that play in the European leagues.

The best teams will still find a way, including SA teams will make it even more important to have squad depth. That probably does not really change anything from how it is now in truth!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Sun 21 Jan 2018, 3:10 pm

Meanwhile, Racing winning in Leicester has sent Saracens closer to the trap door of non qualification.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun 21 Jan 2018, 3:18 pm

Just wanted to stop by and congratulate Scarlets and their fans. Massive win last night.

Deserved Pro-12 champions last year and they are really putting in an excellent showing in Europe. Their fans deserve this as they are an excellent bunch. Good luck for the 1/4 finals lads thumbsup
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sun 21 Jan 2018, 4:06 pm

BigGee wrote:
VinceWLB wrote:I think the inclusion of the SA teams in Europe is simply inconceivable, in terms of logistics.. Simply not on.

It makes it difficult, but not impossible. The Pro 14 teams are having to do it this year and the time zones are favourable.

There's a key difference. All the Pro 14 teams are doing it, so the challenge is the same for everyone in that competition. However, if you draw the Cheetahs in your European pool, then you face a challenge that teams in the other pools don't have.

The only way to keep the pools on an even keel would be to have the Cheetahs play their home pool games at a venue in Europe, rather than South Africa.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sun 21 Jan 2018, 4:19 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:What changes will have to be made to the competition if no English teams make it to the QFs this year?

Makes a change from certain parties trying to work out how the tournament was biased towards the English when we last did well

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sun 21 Jan 2018, 5:06 pm

lostinwales wrote:

Makes a change from certain parties trying to work out how the tournament was biased towards the English when we last did well
The best teams make the finals. All these different excuses fans have made throughout the years were mostly BS.

It can still be a good year for the English with sarries qualifying

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by 2ndtimeround Sun 21 Jan 2018, 5:50 pm

3 pro 14 Home QF’s is a great result for the league.

2ndtimeround

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Sun 21 Jan 2018, 6:07 pm

2ndtimeround wrote:3 pro 14 Home QF’s is a great result for the league.

Yes and more than a decent chance to have 3 pro14 teams in the semis. Looking forward for Scarlets- La Rochelle at least.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 21 Jan 2018, 6:17 pm

Unlucky for Leinster that they have 8th placed Sarries to play who no doubt will well and truly have got their sh!t together by then!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Sun 21 Jan 2018, 6:42 pm

Tasty match that.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 21 Jan 2018, 6:52 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Tasty match that.

Good argument for it being the final!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 21 Jan 2018, 7:54 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:

Can't say many French teams are catching the eye either. Should be Pro whatever number it is now hands on the trophy this year.

You really don’t know that it’s called the PRO14? Even though you knew the number had changed with SA teams added in. And there’s any number of topic titles with Pro 14 in them.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun 21 Jan 2018, 7:56 pm

Currently, the EPCR sees no problem for teams in the Challenge Cup flying to Krasnoyarsk to play in -20 conditions. Bloemfontein or Port Elizabeth should be a doddle in comparison.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:18 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

Can't say many French teams are catching the eye either. Should be Pro whatever number it is now hands on the trophy this year.

You really don’t know that it’s called the PRO14?   Even though you knew the number had changed with SA teams added in.   And there’s any number of topic titles with Pro 14 in them.  

Slipped my mind, couldn't remember if it had increased to 14 or was 14 plus the Boks. Don't follow the league in any detail and don't generally watch the games as I don't have Sky Sports.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:33 pm

Tough route to the final for Scarlets, if they are to do it. I’m sure the La Rochelle game will be a huge occasion again though.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:39 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Tough route to the final for Scarlets, if they are to do it. I’m sure the La Rochelle game will be a huge occasion again though.

Two teams that like to attack ball in hand. Great draw for rugby fans, hoping it opens up into a cracker.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun 21 Jan 2018, 8:49 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Tough route to the final for Scarlets, if they are to do it. I’m sure the La Rochelle game will be a huge occasion again though.

Hunch.........Scarlets through to the next round (semis). I think La Rochelle are beginning to feel the pressure of having been early bird favourites for the whole thing. Scarlets are a Welsh side with a hot target on their radar. Bloody hell, a nightmare for any opposition! Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Sun 21 Jan 2018, 9:24 pm

Two teams that like to attack ball in hand. Great draw for rugby fans, hoping it opens up into a cracker.

Weather and pitch should be a lot better too.. This will be a cracker indeed, Scarlets will have to find a way to try to nullify La Rochelle big carriers.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 22 Jan 2018, 2:34 am

Pot Hale wrote:Currently, the EPCR sees no problem for teams in the Challenge Cup flying to Krasnoyarsk to play in -20 conditions.  Bloemfontein or Port Elizabeth should be a doddle in comparison.  
One of the functions of the Challenge Cup is to expand the reach of the professional game in Europe. New territory comes with the territory, as it were. Krasnoyarsk may be harsh conditions but it's still winter there, and the playing conditions have to meet minimum winter standards.

The Champions Cup pits the best teams against each other, and the playing field needs to be level. It would skew the competition if one pool was played in entirely different circumstances to the others.

To be honest, if all the leagues want to agree to allow the South Africans unconditional entry, then I'd have no objection, because everyone would know what they were getting into. I suspect commercial prospects will drive the decision. I do think there are legitimate competitive, and welfare reasons to oppose unconditional entry, however.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 22 Jan 2018, 11:09 am

Whatever happened to the Tier 3 league we were promised along with all the extra sponsorship money ?
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next