The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Task Four - National League Success

+4
Fernando
Hero
Marky
Trebs
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Task Four - National League Success - Page 2 Empty Task Four - National League Success

Post by Trebs Wed 07 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

As Nando has been abdicated, the Apprentice starts here with Mr Trebs at the helm. I have noted past performances, but it is largely this task onwards which is where the process will be won and lost.

One of the current National League sides has been expelled with immediate effect. Mr Trebs has stepped in quickly, and will be competing in the National League starting this week.

I have acquired a stadium with a capacity of 6,000 and will be chairman of a new London-based team. We have a special agreement with the National League to start the season on 50 points, which puts us in a competitive position. The target is promotion.

However, the transfer window is now closed and we are unable to make any signings. So for this season, we will have to rely on free agents only. We will also need a manager, and any coaching staff as required. Note that you will have to explain yourself, so while Patrice Evra may currently be a free agent, he would not be joining a National League side.

The budget for the next six months is £600,000. I expect the side to get promoted. Further funds will be available in the summer as we look to progress, but that is outside of the scope of this task. Assume all staff you bring in will be on a contract for this 6 month period only.

To summarise, your submission should include:
- General team overview - Starting XI/Playing Style
- A squad list of 23 players
- Any other staff to be appointed
- Costings for six months

Those who made it to Task 3 are automatically eligible for this task, and Fernando has requested a place in the process. The teams are therefore as follows:

Team 1 - Fernando, BamBam, Hero
Team 2 - Olly, Marky, Nadz

You have until next Wednesday 14th at midnight to complete your submissions. The boardroom will take place next Thursday. Love will not be in the air, as at least one of you will be fired.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Task Four - National League Success - Page 2 Empty Re: Task Four - National League Success

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 2:59 pm

Imagine digging us out for being a bit ambitious about a loan signing while ignoring the fact you poached a loyal management team and got them to move to the other end of the country for £500 per week (for the backroom staff anyway)

Marky

Back to top Go down

Task Four - National League Success - Page 2 Empty Re: Task Four - National League Success

Post by Fernando Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

Marky wrote:
Desperation there.

I believe this is appropriate right now... Whistle

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:08 pm

Fernando wrote:
Marky wrote:
Desperation there.

I believe this is appropriate right now... Whistle

Laugh

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:09 pm

I believe I'm making a valid point rather than digging out a quote from 1993 Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:13 pm

Well to use one of your methods both Bill Gorton and Bryon Jenkins help train my son, they bitch about the owners of Macc quite publically to me and have stated several players have left because they were on £300 a week and only wanted a £50 rise which they failed to get. They'd be off in a shot with Askey.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:18 pm

They failed to get it so moved to another club in the area? Or failed to get it so moved to the other end of the country?

Also London is far more expensive so would (in my opinion) need to be a lot more money to make it worthwhile. That's why we allocated £750 per week for our assistant manager.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

Marky wrote:They failed to get it so moved to another club in the area? Or failed to get it so moved to the other end of the country?

Also London is far more expensive so would (in my opinion) need to be a lot more money to make it worthwhile. That's why we allocated £750 per week for our assistant manager.
+1
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:24 pm

Both coach outside of the club to supplement their wages. Both also were paramount in the set up of a initiative for Macclesfield called Project 21 designed to coach young talent only to then have it taken off them when Macc employed a youth development manager which they were narked off with. They were managing to attract 40-50 kids a session at £5 per session. In the London area this is easily attainable again and we'd provide the facilities for them to do so. 2 sessions a week is an extra £250 each. Happy days.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:25 pm

Yet you want a guy to relocate from America for £20k Cool

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:27 pm

I hope it works out Hero Ok!

I feel Trebs made a mistake in allowing us to comment on each others presentations. This has sidetracked badly. We were allowed to criticise Nando so I feel I can openly say this. Nobody should have criticised our projects but Trebs.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:27 pm

Fernando wrote:Yet you want a guy to relocate from America for £20k Cool

You're saying he's in America when you don't actually know where he lives Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:29 pm

I think it's been one of the best tasks as a result of doing that!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:33 pm

On the basis that he started college out there all the way through to a football career doesn't suggest he'd be leaving anytime soon really...

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

Except it's failed and he doesn't have a club aged 23 Laugh

It's a 50/50 argument so kinda silly arguing it.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 15 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

yo dudes what i gotta answer? we bossed this task looking at the submission not even a choice really lol
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:18 pm

Well how do I retort to that level of genius, fire us all now, we can't compete.

Oh wait perhaps that you hired players at other clubs.
You loaned players that'd never join.
You brought in players from another continent.
You got a manager that's only managed in the lower leagues years ago and was an abject failure.
You gave no consideration to living in London.
But yeah apart from that you bossed it.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:36 pm

Hero wrote:Well how do I retort to that level of genius, fire us all now, we can't compete.

Oh wait perhaps that you hired players at other clubs.
Transfermarkt's fault

You loaned players that'd never join.
In your opinion that is

You brought in players from another continent.
One, and who's from this country

You got a manager that's only managed in the lower leagues years ago and was an abject failure.
In 1993 Laugh and is a coach at a Premier League club

You gave no consideration to living in London.
We offered the players more money for that very reason. Also you expected two of your three management team to relocate from Macclesfield to London for £500 a week or less Laugh

But yeah apart from that you bossed it.
Thank you.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:41 pm

You offered them about £100 more on wages, are they sleeping rough?

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:43 pm

Minimum £750 a week for everyone, fairly sure over £3k a month pre tax allows for a place to sleep at night Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:47 pm

I know our presentation isn't perfect, but it's cute how you're trying to shoot ours down to cover up the issues with yours.

Olly triggered Hero with two sentences FFS Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:50 pm

Olly failed to actually answer anything which was requested from him, if I was you I'd be cutting my losses on the task and already be loading the bullets for him.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 15 Feb 2018, 9:50 pm

Olly, please can I get your views on some of the issues raised.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:05 pm

Hero wrote:Olly failed to actually answer anything which was requested from him, if I was you I'd be cutting my losses on the task and already be loading the bullets for him.

Considering Olly and I saved you from the sack last time you should be less hostile.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:13 pm

Okay, so I've had a good think. Both teams have done a decent job with this task, making it very difficult to pick a winner... 

Both teams have correctly identified that youth was not a factor in this task. I wondered if anyone would backtrack with my initial question. I am also happy with the general playing style and the 4-4-2/4-3-3 formations selected by the two teams. Both teams have also remained in budget. 

TEAM POWER 
If Man Utd wanted to loan out Joe Riley, it would be to a side in the Football League. I can't see him being in the National League. It's good to see some ambition, but in this case it's a step too far. There is also the issue of Richard Brodie, who is not a free agent despite what Transfermarkt may say. I'm disappointed that you didn't even search the guy and see this, or even ask for clarification from me. And regarding Aaron Jones, on the balance of probabilities, I think it is unlikely he would join the club. My opinion is that all three players are errors. 

I like that there is a promotion bonus, as you have clearly realised that all I care about is promotion this season - nothing else. Remie Streete is a good player, and I hear good things about West Brom's Alex Bradley.

TEAM FBH 

I accept that times are tight for Macclesfield. But there is no way that you would get John Askey in at this stage of the season for a brand new team. Again, I applaud the ambition but it just wouldn't happen, in my view. Not while Macclesfield have a good chance of promotion. 

I like pairing up with Fulham and taking three players on loan. Mark Davies and Jermaine Pennant add sprinkles of quality and are probably about the best players you could have got.

Which leads me to making a decision.

I don't think either team has provided a submission which is significantly better than the other. I am disappointed that people have not stepped up and been culpable for some of the decisions which have been made through this. Because of this, I am not naming a winning team. I do not think it is right that three of you are let off the hook.

So first of all...

Marky - You have took the lead in the task, done the bulk of the work and done a good job in defending your team's submission from my questioning, as well as some intense questioning from Hero. You are through to the semi-final.

Hero - Similarly to Marky, you've done a good job in defending your team. I think you made a mistake by bringing the Macclesfield staff over. But, Jermaine Pennant was a smart move, and you identified that London was a crucial element of the task and that you required a manager with National League experience. You are also through.

BamBam, Fernando, Olly and Nadz - I would like to hear more from you four. Please can you explain your roles in the task, what did you contribute and which ideas did you come up with? Olly in particular has not commented on the task and I'm very interested to hear what you have to say.

I would like to hear from you all by midday tomorrow, as I will be firing at least one of you.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:19 pm

Did some scouting
Found out players to loan from clubs in the london
Did the maths

That's about it.

PS. This was a poor task you can do better then this?

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:22 pm

Trebs wrote:There is also the issue of Richard Brodie, who is not a free agent despite what Transfermarkt may say. I'm disappointed that you didn't even search the guy and see this, or even ask for clarification from me.

Just to add closure to this, while I accept responsibility for the error (as I suggested him), we felt no reason to Google search Richard Brodie or ask for clarification from you, as we were told by you that players listed as free agents on transfermarkt were eligible and we believed, as he was listed as a free agent, that he was a free agent. No reason to do any more info because he was a free agent.

If we knew he wasn't a free agent then we'd have just signed a different striker. No ulterior motive, just a genuine error. That's my responsibility because I believed TM was a trusted source.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

Fernando wrote:PS. This was a poor task you can do better then this?

Coming from Mr Change the European Championships that's rich.

Fire him Trebs.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 15 Feb 2018, 10:25 pm

Fernando wrote:Did some scouting
Found out players to loan from clubs in the london
Did the maths

That's about it.

PS. This was a poor task you can do better then this?

I didn't ask your opinion on the quality of the task. I asked for what you did on the task. Which players are you responsible for bringing in? And did you do anything which significantly benefited your team?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:18 pm

Hero as team leader had final decision on the team as team leader despite you thinking we didn't have one Laugh i just scouted the players i also worked out the money.

Bam did tactics so we all did our own bits no man did nothing.

This will be my last comment on it due to work tomorrow so i look forward to being fired due to bias and will fight for my justice Luis Suarez style on Monday.

Also ive never had to change a task due to people not being bothered to do it with a few days left #JustSayingMarky

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 15 Feb 2018, 11:24 pm

Fernando wrote:Hero as team leader had final decision on the team as team leader despite you thinking we didn't have one Laugh  i just scouted the players i also worked out the money.

Bam did tactics so we all did our own bits no man did nothing.

This will be my last comment on it due to work tomorrow so i look forward to being fired due to bias and will fight for my justice Luis Suarez style on Monday.

Also ive never had to change a task due to people not being bothered to do it with a few days left #JustSayingMarky

So you just scouted the players and worked out the money.

Which players did you recommend? Did you decide the salaries, and is it your fault that there was the finances left over? I said the budget was £300,000.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri 16 Feb 2018, 7:34 am

In this task I helped select the final XI, by getting rid of unrealistic players and suggesting a few first XI players, whilst also contributing to decisions on pay. Also posted the formation and style we should look at playing in the National League

Did also suggest some coaches but Marky came up with something better imo

And as I said above, it's pretty clear our submission is a lot better
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:17 am

Personally looking at the four left to choose from, the person who should be fired based on this task and based on the series so far is Nando as it would be instant karma for his treatment of people when he was in charge.

Let's not forget he fired Bam for literally nothing last week before we all stepped in, and refused to give you feedback Trebs because your presentation was late.

On top of that, it's obvious that Bam played a bigger role alongside Hero than Nando did, and from my point of view both Olly and Nadz were excellent help in their own ways, I don't get why we're dragging this out.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:37 am

Marky wrote:Personally looking at the four left to choose from, the person who should be fired based on this task and based on the series so far is Nando as it would be instant karma for his treatment of people when he was in charge.

Let's not forget he fired Bam for literally nothing last week before we all stepped in, and refused to give you feedback Trebs because your presentation was late.

On top of that, it's obvious that Bam played a bigger role alongside Hero than Nando did, and from my point of view both Olly and Nadz were excellent help in their own ways, I don't get why we're dragging this out.

Sorry if it does feel like I'm dragging it out a bit. It will be finished at lunchtime.

I just want to make sure that everyone gets their say and all, and not immediately fire anyone without a chance to defend themselves.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 16 Feb 2018, 9:49 am

BamBam, Fernando, Olly and Nadz - I would like to hear more from you four. Please can you explain your roles in the task, what did you contribute and which ideas did you come up with? Olly in particular has not commented on the task and I'm very interested to hear what you have to say.

I admitted straight away that I knew literally nothing about National League football, so my contribution was somewhat limited on the basis that I would have little useful to suggest in terms of how the club would be managed or the type of players that could be signed. Decided not to be a hindrance with ludicrous suggestions

I did try and offer useful suggestions (player manager, 4-4-2 system) that I thought could be applied to the NL regardless of not knowing anything about it.

I posted on Wednesday that I would have limited time after my car got wrote off, and so was absent from the task until Monday, where I offered a few comments on some of the players that were identified as potential options.

My real contribution was to put together a set of tactics/play style that best complimented the group of players that Hero and Nando had put together, as I could do a little research on the players and can usually cobble together a good tactical game plan

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 16 Feb 2018, 10:17 am

Just wish to clarify on ours that the wage bill came to £253k & then there was a £40k payment to Macclesfield to acquire Askey so there was only £7k left.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nadeem2099 Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:08 am

As the least knowledgeable in my team regarding NL football, I did what I realistically could and looked at what players we could bring in on loan to help our promotion bid. Sure we were ambitious with some players but our motto at our club is "A dream without ambition is like a car without gas... you're not going anywhere" So it is better to be ambitious and try and improve our best chance of promotion then let our one shot to fulfil our dream end in failure.
nadeem2099
nadeem2099

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 16 Feb 2018, 12:48 pm

Hero wrote:Just wish to clarify on ours that the wage bill came to £253k & then there was a £40k payment to Macclesfield to acquire Askey so there was only £7k left.

Quick maths is what happens when you leave Big Shaq in charge of accounts.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

Thank you everyone for providing further comments. I think I have all the information I need to make a decision. It has not been an easy one. I don't want to hear anything else.

Fernando - I don't like your attitude. I think you've been very brash and you make it very difficult for me to want to keep you in the process. Saying that it is a poor task is no excuse for a poor performance. You make the best of it.

BamBam - You say you don't know the National League well, but neither do some of the others who sit before me today. It was a conscious choice to try and see how people would do a bit of research. I didn't expect anyone to know all the answers off-hand. Having said that, you wrote a decent set of tactics for you team, which I am pleased with.

Nadz - It was your idea to sign Joe Riley. This was a key error, as it was a player that was never going to join. You did mention this, but I'm disappointed you allowed Marky to run with the idea. I'm disappointed you weren't more vocal throughout the task, as apart from suggesting the West Brom loanee I fail to see your contribution. Similar to Bam, I didn't expect you to be an expert on the National League but I'd have liked to have seen some research.

Olly - I'd have liked to have heard a bit more from you, both during the task and in the boardroom. You made a couple of good suggestions regarding players. But I think you could have made a big contribution and ensured that your team ran away with the win in this task.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm

My decision is the following...

Fernando - You need to buck your ideas up if you want any chance of winning this process. The next task I'm sure will play to your strengths. I will be watching your contribution very closely. You are through.

BamBam - You have put in a couple of good performances in previous rounds. I'm going to put you through.

Nadz - With regret, you are fired.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:07 pm

Olly - I thought long and hard about this decision. I'm going to give you the chance to see what you can do in the semi-final.

Semi-Finalists
Marky
Hero
BamBam
Fernando
Olly

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 16 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

With respect Trebs, that's the wrong decision to fire Nadz.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 19 Feb 2018, 7:18 pm

Looks like John Askey is about to leave Macc.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:16 pm

Hero wrote:Looks like John Askey is about to leave Macc.

For League 2 Grimsby, a legit step up and still up north. You do love to keep arguing Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 19 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm

18th in League Two and actually takes longer to get to than London.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Tue 20 Feb 2018, 6:55 am

Macclesfield to Grimsby
2 hours 45 mins
108 miles

Macclesfield to London
4 hours 1 min
193 miles

I mean, sure, if you think Askey and Co would get the train then maybe, but either way you didn't even lose the task so you're just clutching at straws now.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 20 Feb 2018, 9:02 am

I don't think John Askey would leave for a brand new club.

Grimsby are an established football league side, decent reputation.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2