The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League

3 posters

Go down

Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League Empty Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League

Post by The Beast Tue 27 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

Eddie Hearn, boxing promoter looks like he MIGHT become involved in Rugby League.  Hard to knock his track record in marketing Boxing (Anthony Joshua, Tony Bellew, Kell Brook) all seeing big attendances and viewing figures), thoughts on him being involved in League?

http://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11269325/eddie-hearn-meets-with-rugby-football-league-administrators

I watch some boxing and whilst I find some of the marketing nauseating, fake controversy etc I cannot help thinking he could do a lot for the sport which appears to have the product but very little profile.  Look at weekend newspapers, all appear to have adverts, spreads on the six nations can't ever remember seeing this for League which IMO we need.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League Empty Re: Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League

Post by Luke Wed 28 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

Don't disagree that RL needs a complete overhaul with its marketing. And is way behind RU (when you see the only game that doesn't involve a home nation on Friday night at 7.30pm on a mainstream tv channel), you release just how far we fallen. The press will build up any 6 nations game for a week, we get 2 days if we're lucky for the challenge cup or grand final.
And like you say in my opinion RL has a great product.

But in my opinion until we have an international calander to showcase our product. We will always be seen as a club game played in certain areas, and will get the press and marketing that people believe we deserve.
Whilst every 3/5 years we change our format from okay to absurd (the current 10 SL being proposed for example), we will not be able to market the game. As there is no longer term view to sell/market.

As for the Hearn's I have no problem with talking to them (every good corporation will take ideas from the outside), listening to his ideas and seeing if they workable and could take RL forward.
I just hope that is all were doing. As I just feel that they're not the people I would like in charge of RL.
The age were in regarding people's habit with sport, how they watch it rather than go, football's dominance. That any wrong decision know will either make us a laughing stocks. And will damage us for decades when we need to push on from the stagnation around RL. And try to get people into and going to games, at least semi regularly.
Luke
Luke

Back to top Go down

Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League Empty Re: Eddie Hearn Involvement in Rugby League

Post by The Beast Sat 03 Mar 2018, 6:15 pm

Thanks Luke, sounds like you might get your wish with Hearn seemingly leaning towards dipping his toe into the water.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/mar/03/eddie-hearn-rugby-league-rescue-super-league-talks

Interesting that his comments mirror ours, he does not know any current players. Any interest added to the Magic Weekend or Challenge Cup can only help imo.

The Beast

Back to top Go down

Post by George Hotel1895 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 8:47 am

I would like to see him get involved with the magic weekends and the challenge cup semi finals for starters

George Hotel1895

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down