The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Apprentice - FINAL

+5
Marky
Good Golly I'm Olly
BamBam
TwisT
Trebs
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Apprentice - FINAL Empty The Apprentice - FINAL

Post by Trebs Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:05 pm

Congratulations to both of you on making the final. I was very pleased with both of your submissions in what proved to be a very competitive task.

We move on to the last task, which will be in keeping with Azzrentice tradition. The task will be to select the best XI for the opening of a football museum. I want you to select eleven players, with a paragraph (approx 100 words) for each player. Not going to penalise or count words, just giving an idea of what sort of amount I expect.

David Beckham has recently announced that he will be founding an MLS Team in Miami, which is where the museum will be. The museum will commemorate players from 2000-2018. So for instance, Peter Schmeichel may have played in the 2000s, but selecting him would be on the basis of his Aston Villa and Man City career. Probably not the best choice.

Lionel Messi has decided to join Olly for this task, who will be named Team Messi. Cristiano Ronaldo has joined BamBam, for team Ronaldo. You may only use your own superstar player and not the other's team's.

I also want eleven nations to be represented in your XI. So no more than one player per nation in your team. So, you cannot pick Xavi and Iniesta for example.

The deadline for your submissions is on Thursday 8th March at 12 midday. Please send via PM.

The tradition is to select a team of returning candidates to assist you, but I am going to do away with this. You are welcome to seek advice from anyone you see fit. Any previous candidates can confirm that they are willing to help out on this page.

To summarise:
- Team Messi (Olly) vs Team Ronaldo (BamBam)
- Select XI for football museum based on achievements 2000-present
- Only one player per nation in your XI.
- You may get help from any previous candidates as you wish.
- Submit by Thursday 8th March at midday.

Last edited by Trebs on Tue 27 Feb 2018, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Trebs

Back to top Go down

The Apprentice - FINAL Empty Re: The Apprentice - FINAL

Post by TwisT Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:07 pm

Poor task.....poor Rolling Eyes Laugh thumbsup

TwisT

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:11 pm

Trebs

I'm going to really struggle to get anything in for Tuesday. I've got interviews Thursday and Friday morning which I'll be spending the next two evenings preparing for and am away over the weekend, so will literally only have Monday evening to do anything.

Is there any possibility of the deadline being pushed back to say Thursday?

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:25 pm

I’m ok with that Bam - I’m unlikely to be around Tuesday so Thursday would suit me too
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:38 pm

Thursday 8th is fine. I will update the task.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or you have any questions.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 27 Feb 2018, 2:37 pm

Thanks Trebles

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:25 am

Questions

Do I need to give a set of tactics / play style as if my team is playing against Olly's?
Does the team need to "work" in real life - ie would I be penalised for not using a defensive midfielder, or having a winger on his non favoured side

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:39 am

I think both can be worked out from my original post.

Your side is for a football museum - I don't really want to spoon-feed the answers.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:46 am

I should point out that you may ask for assistance from fellow finalists. I would suggest asking an experienced apprentice man for their opinion.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 05 Mar 2018, 9:50 am

My next question was going to be who is willing to volunteer advice Very Happy

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Mon 05 Mar 2018, 10:24 am

I would but I've already helped Olly so wouldn't be right.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Mon 05 Mar 2018, 10:51 am

I'll try and help if you want Bam as and when I've got time

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Wed 07 Mar 2018, 11:25 am

Just as a reminder, the deadline is tomorrow at midday.

Any issues please let me know

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Mar 2018, 11:52 am

Tick tock.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Fluxy Thu 08 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

The Apprentice - FINAL 1347041234

Fluxy
Aviva Premiership Commissioner
Aviva Premiership Commissioner

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:04 pm

PM'd Trebs a little while ago

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:05 pm

Olly said he sent his last night so presumably we're waiting on Trebs

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:09 pm

I've received both. I will upload them shortly and follow up with some questions

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 12:49 pm

Good Afternoon BamBam, Olly and any other lurkers. Again, I want to say well done to both of you for making the final. I'm pleased that you have both submitted your teams for this final task on time.

Please see both submissions here:

OLLY - TEAM MESSI:

BAMBAM - TEAM RONALDO:

If any of the previous candidates would like to have their say, then now is the time to do so. I would especially be interested to hear from anyone that assisted exactly what you did.

In addition, I have the following questions for both of the finalists.

1. Did you receive any help from anyone else for this task?

2. How much did you consider your audience as it was for a US Museum? Did picking David Beckham come to mind?

3. How much do you feel having different nationalities constricted you? Are there any players you would have included if possible?

4. Do you feel that you have made any oversights on your submission now that you have seen your opponent's?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Mar 2018, 1:02 pm

Yeah from Marky and Nadz on FB messenger

2. How much did you consider your audience as it was for a US Museum? Did picking David Beckham come to mind?

Honestly? Didn't consider the audience for the US Museum. I focused on the XI purely because that was the task.
And no, because for me he is nowhere near the best English player for this time period, let alone best right sided player. If the task was to draw in as many visitors to the museum as possible, then obviously I would've considered these two things.

3. How much do you feel having different nationalities constricted you? Are there any players you would have included if possible?

It did constrict quite a bit when it came to specific nations. I really wanted to find a way to include Kaka, and making choices between guys like Pirlo/Buffon, Iniesta/Casillas etc was really tough.

4. Do you feel that you have made any oversights on your submission now that you have seen your opponent's?

Maybe should have given a more precise overview of their achievements and honours - but based on the XI alone, no, I think Bam has chosen some players I definitely wouldn't have
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

In addition, I have the following questions for both of the finalists.

Yes, Hero gave me some suggestions when I sent him my initial brain dump of all the players I thought were worthy of consideration

Not necessarily for the US audience, but as it was a football museum, I tried to stick with players that are difficult to dispute their status as legends of the game, even if they aren't necessarily the flashiest of players.

Beckham didn't even register as a possibility, my other choice of English player would have been Ashley Cole

Definitely was a restriction. One of my earliest decision's was whether to go with Zidane and Ronaldo or Ronaldinho and Henry - I ended up splitting the difference

I was looking at Fat Ronaldo, Henry, Pirlo, Maldini and Chiellini as options

Giggs came very strongly into my consideration, and I considered using Ronaldo as a striker to fit him in. I generally considered all the players Olly picked, but the nationality restriction helped make my decision in a lot of places

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

Thanks for your answers. The fact it was a museum meant a few things. Team balance, chemistry and such is not a factor, it's about selecting the best XI. It is players with the big reputations that count, not necessarily the best players on paper in a team.

In response to Olly, I'm not too bothered about a precise overview of all the achievements and honours. I just wanted a feel for each player and why you picked them.

Moving forward, we look at the teams.

Both of you have selected Gigi Buffon, Philipp Lahm and Rio Ferdinand. All excellent picks. I am also going to remove Ronaldo and Messi, and consider them equal. The same for Xavi and Iniesta, I think you would be hard pressed to split them.

So for me, it comes down to these six choices:

Roberto Carlos vs Javier Zanetti
Jaap Stam vs Nemanja Vidic
Pavel Nedved vs Luka Modric
Claude Makelele vs Zinedine Zidane
Luis Suarez vs Zlatan Ibrahimovic
Ryan Giggs vs Ronaldinho

Please can you justify the six picks you made compared to the other team?

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 2:16 pm

In addition to the above, please tell me why you should be the winner of the process.

Once I receive answers from both I will give a final decision

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 2:51 pm

Roberto Carlos vs Javier Zanetti

I considered Carlos, and rejigging my team to fit in an alternative Brazilian player to Ronaldinho. Ultimately, my opinion was that the only Brazilian I would have considered in his place was Ronaldo.

In my view, Zanetti offered greater longevity and had more sustained success as a player over the 2000-2018 time frame we were given. He was captain and key player in the Inter team that defeated arguably the best club team of the period (Barcelona 2010), preventing them from repeating as European champions. He captained Inter to 5 successive Serie A titles over that time period, and certainly goes down as a legend of Italian football, a league where defending has been perfected as an art form. I think Zanetti is a better choice for the museum due to his multi positional play, dominance at his chosen position and longevity/success for close to 8 years after Carlos effectively ended his career moving to Fenerbahce

For me Vidic goes hand in hand with Rio Ferdinand - their names are almost synonymous when discussing centre backs. I completely agree that big reputations count the most for this museum. Has there been a pair of centre backs with as big a reputation as Rio and Vidic? Dominating the Premier League for many seasons, being a part of arguably its best ever team and winning the CL, regularly being named in the team of the year and ultimately being made captain of Man Utd stand out as huge achievements for Vidic.

In my opinion, he is a better choice than Stam again due to longevity and success - Stam took a step backwards moving to Lazio, and his only team success in the period was winning the Premier League in 2001 and the Italian Cup in 2004 with Lazio. Stam was unable to prevent "that" Liverpool team making a comeback in Istanbul, and never reached that heightened level again. I simply think Vidic delivered more success over a longer period of time at a higher profile and level of club, making him a great candidate for the museum.

Recency bias is a big factor for Modric here. Nedved was a terrific player, but a large part of his success was pre 2000 with Lazio. In the time period being evaluated, his club honours amounted to two Serie A titles (factoring in the matchfixing scandal) - in a museum, people want to read about the achievements of a player, why is he in the museum? Two Serie A titles doesn't match up to a player who was so crucial for Real Madrid in 3 CL wins. If looking at reputation and profile, particularly in the US, Real certainly and even Spurs may arguably have had better exposure given the leagues they play in.

This is on paper a difficult one. Makelele defined a position, and Zidane himself lauded him publicly. I just think that any player with the ability, profile and achievements of Zidane is a shoo in for a museum such as this. A 3 time world player of the year obviously has the huge reputation to be worthy of selection, but he was arguably one of the biggest names in sport during his peak years. The biggest moments of his career - 1998 WC final, the volley in the CL final, and even his headbutt in the 2006 WC final are iconic footballing moments, all could be played on a loop in a museum and people would stop to watch. Makelele is an excellent player, but no one pays to watch football to see how well the defensive midfielder is doing, Zidane was box office his entire career, and I am happy with my choice

I've got a simple answer to why I think Suarez should not be in any footballing museum - he has been found guilty of racially abusing a fellow player. That sort of person should never be commemorated in a museum. I can look past his biting and the cheating against Ghana as infamy, after all Zidane was my choice despite headbutting Materazzi and Maradona got away with a handball too. I just can't see a world in which I would pick Suarez to be lauded in a museum.

As for pure achievements and ability on the pitch, Suarez has arguably only put together 4 truly excellent seasons (his last two at Liverpool, and the first two at Barcelona). He has not had the success individually or as part of a team that Ibrahimovic has, nor has he sustained his goal scoring and level of play over various leagues, playing for the biggest clubs every where he has been like Zlatan has. I would also say that Suarez has never been the figurehead for any team he has played in - Gerrard and Messi undoubtedly had those roles.

Ryan Giggs vs Ronaldinho

This is a bit of a reverse compared to the others. I have generally looked at sustained success and longevity - in this case, Giggs undoubtedly would be the choice looking at those two attributes given his trophy collection.

I would argue that Ronaldinho reached a higher peak than Giggs ever did from 2000-2018, and that Giggs arguably peaked as a player in the late 90s - early 00s. Ronaldinho took a Barcelona team not even in the Champions League, and led them to multiple La Liga titles and the Champions League. He won world player of the year twice, and arguably put the club on the platform from which it became the best team in Europe.

As much as I am a fan of Giggs' longevity and trophy haul, I can't overlook the performances that Ronaldinho put in over his time at Barcelona, and think he is definitely one of the iconic players of the last 18 years.

Ronaldinho would be in consideration for an all time team - as much as I like Giggs, I can't see that he would be seen at a similar level

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:04 pm

I think I should win the Apprentice due to my sustained level of performance throughout the tasks, while being seen as an underdog prior to the competition beginning.

I had never taken part previously, but immediately stepped up to the mark to lead the first task and you yourself had first hand sight of my success in managing a team and being able to make key decisions.

I worked to my strengths as part of the team on other tasks, and I believe my proposal for Arsenal showed how I can think about more than just the players that would take the field.

I think I should win due to continually improving in every round, and offering strong evidence and detailed explanations of every decision I make, able to back up my decisions with clarity and facts.

I've shown that I can lead a team, I can perform in 1 on 1 interviews and that I can take advice and expertise from others when their strengths are in that area. I believe I am the best choice to be the Apprentice

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Mar 2018, 3:54 pm

BamBam wrote:Roberto Carlos vs Javier Zanetti

I considered Carlos, and rejigging my team to fit in an alternative Brazilian player to Ronaldinho. Ultimately, my opinion was that the only Brazilian I would have considered in his place was Ronaldo.

In my view, Zanetti offered greater longevity and had more sustained success as a player over the 2000-2018 time frame we were given. He was captain and key player in the Inter team that defeated arguably the best club team of the period (Barcelona 2010), preventing them from repeating as European champions. He captained Inter to 5 successive Serie A titles over that time period, and certainly goes down as a legend of Italian football, a league where defending has been perfected as an art form. I think Zanetti is a better choice for the museum due to his multi positional play, dominance at his chosen position and longevity/success for close to 8 years after Carlos effectively ended his career moving to Fenerbahce

Firstly on this one, I cannot understand why Bam has chosen a RB in Lahm to be his LB in this best XI of all time. But looking past that, for me Carlos played in some of the best Madrid sides of this time period, he was key cog in a iconic World Cup winning side in 2002, and is rightly lauded as one of the best attacking left backs of all time.

For me Vidic goes hand in hand with Rio Ferdinand - their names are almost synonymous when discussing centre backs. I completely agree that big reputations count the most for this museum. Has there been a pair of centre backs with as big a reputation as Rio and Vidic? Dominating the Premier League for many seasons, being a part of arguably its best ever team and winning the CL, regularly being named in the team of the year and ultimately being made captain of Man Utd stand out as huge achievements for Vidic.

In my opinion, he is a better choice than Stam again due to longevity and success - Stam took a step backwards moving to Lazio, and his only team success in the period was winning the Premier League in 2001 and the Italian Cup in 2004 with Lazio. Stam was unable to prevent "that" Liverpool team making a comeback in Istanbul, and never reached that heightened level again. I simply think Vidic delivered more success over a longer period of time at a higher profile and level of club, making him a great candidate for the museum.

Well Bam's Man Utd tinted glasses are coming into full effect here Laugh, saying Stam took a step backwards in the latter half of his career when Vidic is widely remembered for being bummed by Fernando Torres everytime they played Liverpool and was utterly woeful for Utd in the latter days there. Stam is widely renowned for being a true leader, he was magnificent for a Lazio side who had financial issues, he was great for Holland at Euro 2000 and then was great for a Milan side also.

Recency bias is a big factor for Modric here. Nedved was a terrific player, but a large part of his success was pre 2000 with Lazio. In the time period being evaluated, his club honours amounted to two Serie A titles (factoring in the matchfixing scandal) - in a museum, people want to read about the achievements of a player, why is he in the museum? Two Serie A titles doesn't match up to a player who was so crucial for Real Madrid in 3 CL wins. If looking at reputation and profile, particularly in the US, Real certainly and even Spurs may arguably have had better exposure given the leagues they play in.

I mean if we want to talk about achievements of a player, Nedved literally won the Ballon D'or in 2003 which far outweighs anything Modric has done individually in his career. He was instrumental in getting Juve to the CL final in 2003  (and only suspension stopped him bossing the final too), magnificent in getting the Czech's to the Euro 2004 semi final, Nedved was just a great great player for the latter end of his Lazio career in 2000 and 2001, then brilliant in some magnificent Juve sides until 2009.

This is on paper a difficult one. Makelele defined a position, and Zidane himself lauded him publicly. I just think that any player with the ability, profile and achievements of Zidane is a shoo in for a museum such as this. A 3 time world player of the year obviously has the huge reputation to be worthy of selection, but he was arguably one of the biggest names in sport during his peak years. The biggest moments of his career - 1998 WC final, the volley in the CL final, and even his headbutt in the 2006 WC final are iconic footballing moments, all could be played on a loop in a museum and people would stop to watch. Makelele is an excellent player, but no one pays to watch football to see how well the defensive midfielder is doing, Zidane was box office his entire career, and I am happy with my choice

Not sure why you'd include something from 1998 in a museum about football from 2000-2018  Whistle I agree with Bam here, Makelele defined a position. Quite a major thing that. That's why he is in my side.

I've got a simple answer to why I think Suarez should not be in any footballing museum - he has been found guilty of racially abusing a fellow player. That sort of person should never be commemorated in a museum. I can look past his biting and the cheating against Ghana as infamy, after all Zidane was my choice despite headbutting Materazzi and Maradona got away with a handball too. I just can't see a world in which I would pick Suarez to be lauded in a museum.

As for pure achievements and ability on the pitch, Suarez has arguably only put together 4 truly excellent seasons (his last two at Liverpool, and the first two at Barcelona). He has not had the success individually or as part of a team that Ibrahimovic has, nor has he sustained his goal scoring and level of play over various leagues, playing for the biggest clubs every where he has been like Zlatan has. I would also say that Suarez has never been the figurehead for any team he has played in - Gerrard and Messi undoubtedly had those roles.

If you're not including people who have done something wrong in their past in a museum, then museum's simply wouldn't exist  Erm

As for Suarez, suggesting he has only put together four excellent seasons is lolz, because his last season at Barca was very good and he was amazing during his time at Ajax also. He was the figurehead for the only Liverpool side to ever get close to winning a premier league (to suggest a geriatric Gerrard was in that season is not cool Bam) and is currently proving to be the best striker in the world at Barca and has been for many years now. On the international stage he had not only those iconic moments Bam mentions, but was named MVP of the Copa America winning Uruguay side in 2011 and was instrumental in Uruguay's world cup campaign of 2010. He's scored some of the best goals in PL history also (don't i know this!)

Ryan Giggs vs Ronaldinho

This is a bit of a reverse compared to the others. I have generally looked at sustained success and longevity - in this case, Giggs undoubtedly would be the choice looking at those two attributes given his trophy collection.

I would argue that Ronaldinho reached a higher peak than Giggs ever did from 2000-2018, and that Giggs arguably peaked as a player in the late 90s - early 00s. Ronaldinho took a Barcelona team not even in the Champions League, and led them to multiple La Liga titles and the Champions League. He won world player of the year twice, and arguably put the club on the platform from which it became the best team in Europe.

As much as I am a fan of Giggs' longevity and trophy haul, I can't overlook the performances that Ronaldinho put in over his time at Barcelona, and think he is definitely one of the iconic players of the last 18 years.

Ronaldinho would be in consideration for an all time team - as much as I like Giggs, I can't see that he would be seen at a similar level

I have to admit this is a tough one because I love Ronaldinho and would probably say he is a better pure player than Giggs, but I had to put Giggs in my side for as Bam says his longevity at the highest level of the game for one of the biggest sides in England, and for also his achievements personally and team wise.

I've added my comments in red/orange Trebs

I believe I should win the apprentice because I've proven to be a great team member, a great team leader and a great bloke all round. I'm simply better than everyone who took part, my tasks have proven this to be the case.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:04 pm

Didn't Trebs say

"Please can you justify the six picks you made compared to the other team?"

Not - "Use the other team's objective analysis as your justification for your picks"

Do you want an Apprentice who refers to footballers being "bummed" and advocates racists?

If you had a Zinedine Zidane museum and a Claude Makelele museum, which one would have more visitors Laugh

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:06 pm

Thanks to both of you, there's some good comments there. My thoughts are as follows:

- There's a few players in there which I think too much weight has been placed on their pre-2000 achievements. I think this is a bit of an oversight from both of you
- I don't have an issue with Suarez going in the side in response to the biting, racism etc. However, I think that Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a much more iconic figure and in this scenario, would have been my pick.
- Ronaldinho was the best player in the world for a couple of years and for me absolutely has to be selected in the team.
- Philipp Lahm has excelled on both flanks and it makes no difference which side he is put on for purposes of this task.

Both of you have impressed in previous tasks, Bam perhaps in earlier tasks with some good leadership, and Olly's superb semi-final presentation. I can't split you based on those, so my decision comes solely from your submissions in the final.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:18 pm

Olly, you have picked a more balanced side and I think if this were for say, a cup final, then you would win. However, BamBam has selected Ronaldinho and Zidane which, for me, gives him a big advantage. I think that he somewhat recognised more the objective of this task, although more could have been made of it in my opinion.

I asked for an XI to be made for a football museum.

Olly, it with sincere regret that you are fired. You should leave with your head held high, as you have performed very well and get a well deserved runner up spot.

Bam, you're hired. Congratulations on winning the process and you're going to be my apprentice.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:22 pm

boooo wrong choice

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm

king Thanks Trebs

Well played Olly

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

Brooksey79 wrote:boooo wrong choice
vomit

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:27 pm

Dinho did nothing of note in Milan so pretty much retired pre-2008
Zizou finished in 2006

how is that any different to having a play say Stam who saw the first half dozen years of 2000's?

I really really like Dinho but he was exceptional for such a short period that Giggsy for me had to be included over him, think of all the Brazilians Ronaldo (Inter and Real) and Kaka would have been better shouts

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:33 pm

Nedved heart

So much >>>>>> than Modric
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:39 pm

I agree, Nedved was a different gravy, dominated games in a way i've never seen Modric do

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:49 pm

Have to agree, although very hard to choose between the two deserving finalists, I think Trebs has made a bad call.

Ignoring Makelele because he's not a flashy attacker like Zidane is nonsensical in my opinion, and I feel that was a big part of the decision.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

I agree that Nedved is better than Modric, no question.
But overall I stand by my decision that Bam's decision was stronger - mainly because of Ronaldinho and Zidane.

Either way I think personal preferences come into it so it is a very subjective task.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

The actual Nedved discussion was Olly trying to have Kaka and finding a new LB, until myself and Nadz agreed the combo of Nedved and Roberto Carlos outweighed Kaka and any other fullback (Lahm already selected)

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:53 pm

I’d like to call a public inquiry into this abomination
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

but dinho (PSG was pre 2000 mostly I think) so his barca run was 5 years? did nothing in Milan and Zizou retired in '06....the star name match-winners managed 10 years between them...not sure if that really warrants it

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:55 pm

Marky wrote:Have to agree, although very hard to choose between the two deserving finalists, I think Trebs has made a bad call.

Ignoring Makelele because he's not a flashy attacker like Zidane is nonsensical in my opinion, and I feel that was a big part of the decision.

It's a football museum. Its about who is perceived to be the best, and if you ask most football fans I would think that Zidane is considered to have been the better player.

I'm convinced that both will go down as great players, of course.

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Brooksey79 Thu 08 Mar 2018, 4:58 pm

is Zidane the greatest in his role? I'd argue he's not even the greatest frenchman in that role (Platini)

Makelele defined an entire position

Brooksey79

Back to top Go down

Post by Trebs Thu 08 Mar 2018, 5:12 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing the next season with a new head honcho.

I hope it's been enjoyable, sorry if you've not agreed with all my decision making but I've done my utmost best with it

Trebs

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Mar 2018, 5:18 pm

I’d like to put my name forward to head up the next season
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Thu 08 Mar 2018, 6:35 pm

Well done Trebs.

It’s a thankless task and you’ll never get it right in everyone’s eyes. But it’s the apprentice. It’s only down to what Alan Sugar thinks in the end.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu 08 Mar 2018, 7:03 pm

I think Trebs got it spot on personally.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Fri 09 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

I also think Trebs made the right call

Nedved was a great shout, I wrote him on my initial brain dump then completely passed him over. In reality I don't think I ever watched enough of him to be able to confidently say how good he was

For a museum, Zidane over Makelele just has to be the choice regardless of how good Makelele was. It was part of the reason I asked about whether I would need to think about how the teams worked in an actual game, if so I would have picked a DM

I'm happy to have won!!

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:18 pm

Bam I think you could have easily chosen Nedved over Modric and it'd have been a far more decisive move for you, but either way congratulations mate.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:18 pm

Hero wrote:I think Trebs got it spot on personally.

Hero in agreeing with the minority shocker Laugh

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:24 pm

Hero agreeing with the winning decision is more the shocker Wink

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content