The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England - Summer Tour to South Africa

+47
Hazel Sapling
Brendan
Cumbrian
Fluxy
No9
Big
hugehandoff
Welly
EST
TightHEAD
furra_linee
geoff999rugby
Margin_Walker
munkian
Cyril
Gooseberry
Yoda
No 7&1/2
kingelderfield
Barney McGrew did it
yappysnap
Geordie
Rugby Fan
Exiledinborders
TrailApe
Sgt_Pooly
robbo277
formerly known as Sam
lostinwales
Collapse2005
LondonTiger
Taylorman
propdavid_london
Mr Bounce
rosbif
BamBam
nlpnlp
king_carlos
beshocked
stub
mid_gen
emack2
ChequeredJersey
carpet baboon
majesticimperialman
englishborn
SecretFly
51 posters

Page 15 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18 ... 22  Next

Go down

England - Summer Tour to South Africa - Page 15 Empty England - Summer Tour to South Africa

Post by LondonTiger Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Fixtures

9 June - 16:05: South Africa v England - Emirates Airline Park, Johannesburg SkySports action
16 June - 16:05: South Africa v England - Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein SkySports action
23 June - 16:05: South Africa v England - DHL Newlands, Cape Town SkySports action

Officials

1st Test
Referee: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zelaand)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
TMO: Simon McDowell (Ireland)

2nd Test
Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 1: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Assistant 2: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zelaand)

3rd Test
Referee: Glen Jackson (New Zealand)
Assistant 1: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant 2: Ben O'Keeffe (New Zelaand)

Squads

TBC

Last edited by LondonTiger on Tue 08 May 2018, 11:16 am; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour to South Africa - Page 15 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour to South Africa

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 08 May 2018, 7:53 pm

Graham is more a 6 than 7. Is willis better than shields. I haven't seen enough of shields to tell but based on his rep the fact jones has apparently tapped him up it looks more likely than not he'll go. I expect both them 2 to go and likely armond not.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

England - Summer Tour to South Africa - Page 15 Empty Re: England - Summer Tour to South Africa

Post by Geordie Tue 08 May 2018, 9:38 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:There's a lot of rumours Jason Woodward is going to get called up, that should please GF.

Woodward; Solomona, Manu, Te'o, Roko; ????, ?????; Mako, Hartley, Schonert; Lees, ?????; Armand, Shields, Hughes

Struggling slightly for half backs and locks - but that has the makings of a team to make GF completely tumescent.

furious censored mad mad mad

FFS whats the point in calling the team f%$king ENGLAND!!!!!

Jason furious Woodward!!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 09 May 2018, 5:30 am

I'd put Shields ahead of Willis, but one is just learning his trade whilst the other has 7/8 years experience. I'm a big fan of Shields, always rated him....had no idea he had English parents though.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 09 May 2018, 7:16 am

Jonny hill is another name I've seen being mentioned in the last few weeks.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Wed 09 May 2018, 7:19 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:I've not seen Ben Curry mentioned, I imagine Tom will tour though (the better player in imo).

Doubt Ben Curry is touring. Looks to be in camp with the U20s

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 May 2018, 9:11 am

Eddie Jones 'consistently' in touch with Danny Cipriani before South Africa tour: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/44045154

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 May 2018, 10:02 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Jonny hill is another name I've seen being mentioned in the last few weeks.

Whenever I have seen him playing for chiefs I have been impressed.

I wonder if Isiekwe's case has been boosted or hindered by Sarries using him at 6 so much?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 09 May 2018, 10:08 am

I like Isiekwe, but would he be getting so highly rated if he wasn't at Sarries? I've seen him numerous times and he always looks handy without being amazing.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 May 2018, 12:26 pm

LondonTiger wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Jonny hill is another name I've seen being mentioned in the last few weeks.

Whenever I have seen him playing for chiefs I have been impressed.

I wonder if Isiekwe's case has been boosted or hindered by Sarries using him at 6 so much?

A lot of our locks seem to have spent some time at 6 in their earlier days (and a few more recently to worse effect).

I guess even if he's seen as the third best lock, it's positive that he's also seen as the best option at 6 (with two back row on the bench?) rather than being on the bench himself.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 09 May 2018, 3:41 pm

The Squad that two Telegraph Staff Writers, Charlie Morgan and Ben Coles (who?) believe should travel:

Loosehead props

Ellis Genge

The Leicester Tiger has returned from injury in explosive form, decimating scrums across the Premiership. He will not shirk heavy South African traffic on the gain-line either.

Joe Marler

Marler made his Test debut in South Africa back in 2012. Now, in the absence of rested Mako Vunipola, he must put a poor Harlequins campaign behind him and return as a set-piece leader for England.

Alec Hepburn

All-action Hepburn shone for the Saxons against a strong South Africa A outfit two years ago. He can fight hard to feature from the bench.

Hookers

Jamie George

Dylan Hartley’s absence requires Test Lion George to step up at the end of a tough campaign. He will be desperate to do so.

Luke Cowan-Dickie

The closest England have to Malcolm Marx? That might be pushing it, but Cowan-Dickie is a hard-carrying breakdown scrapper who deserves this chance.

Tom Dunn

Eddie Jones clearly likes the snarl and industry of Dunn, who has kept his standards high despite Bath’s troubles and attended some Six Nations training camps.

Tighthead props

Harry Williams

Having recently returned to the Exeter squad following an injury on England duty, Williams is poised for a defining couple of months.

Kyle Sinckler

Sinckler is another Lion who should travel, feeling refreshed and fiercely motivated by the change of environment. He can build on his brief but burly Six Nations efforts.

Jake Cooper-Woolley

With Dan Cole also rested at the end of a long, arduous season with Tigers, Cooper-Woolley finally gets a chance. The mobile Wasp is an underrated breakdown nuisance, which is handy.

Locks

Charlie Ewels

One moment during last month’s West Country derby demonstrated Ewels’ all-round ability. Leading the defensive line, he snaffled an interception before flicking a pass to Aled Brew. The 22 year-old is a fine player.

Maro Itoje

Injuries to George Kruis and Courtney Lawes mean England need a senior lineout caller and Itoje is finishing the season strongly in other areas as well. He is on the plane.

Joe Launchbury

After starting the Six Nations like a train, Launchbury faded. Recent efforts for Wasps have suggested he can offer plenty to this Test series.

Nick Isiekwe

Named Saracens’ young player of the year, the athletic Isiekwe could make the Test bench as a dynamic option able to slot into the back row.

Back-rowers

Brad Shields

Shields over Don Armand is a tough choice to make, especially given the latter’s prolonged domestic excellence. However, the Waps-bound Hurricane is a resourceful operator worth looking at.

Chris Robshaw

Robshaw keeps Jono Ross at bay despite the Sale man’s brilliant Premiership season. A green group of back-rowers needs a figurehead like the 64-cap 31 year-old.

Tom Curry

His class has been obvious this season, if only in glimpses due to injury. He can reinvigorate England’s back row on this tour.

Sam Simmonds

A chastening Six Nations should not bring a stall for Simmonds’ international career. With heavier men to share the carrying load, his impact will grow.

Zach Mercer

The Tests are likely to be fast-paced games on firm grounds with fractured periods. Mercer, a skilful link man, thrives in such contests.

Billy Vunipola

We will learn more about Vunipola’s fitness in the coming weeks, but his other qualities – not least leadership – are vital for Jones this summer.

Jack Willis

Willis might have to be content with an apprentice asterisk beside his name, but he should absolutely make the trip and might shake it off by impressing in training.

Scrum halves

Ben Youngs

Returned from a knee injury in April and England missed his control during the Six Nations, confirming Youngs as the starter leading up to next year's Rugby World Cup.

Danny Care

Jones opted for two scrum-halves when England went to Australia in 2016 and while Dan Robson's form has been very good for Wasps, Care has money in the bank and thrives as a finisher.

Fly halves

George Ford

A frequent target for criticism throughout the season, Ford's excellent performance for Leicester against Sale on Saturday should see him reclaim the No 10 shirt in South Africa.

Joe Simmonds*

Just 20 years old but his rise at Exeter has been impressive, taking over at fly-half from club great Gareth Steenson. A good chance to tour and learn off Ford and Farrell.

Owen Farrell (c)

Might have been in line for a rest until Dylan Hartley's concussion. Captained England against France in the Six Nations and will need to fulfil that role again in South Africa, at 10 or 12.

Centres

Ben Te'o

Best is still to come from Te'o in an England shirt and the powerful approach he offers compared to the rest of England's more playmaking midfielders makes him an automatic selection.

Alex Lozowski

Handed an opportunity in Argentina last summer and has been a regular squad member this season, although did not feature in the Six Nations.

Henry Slade

Perhaps this is the moment where Slade's best Exeter form - and he has to play at 13 - can transfer to Test rugby with England. A more powerful runner than many realise.

Elliot Daly

The question is still where should Daly play for England. A start at full-back would be welcome while Daly could also slot in at 13 or out on the wing. Long-range goalkicking a key weapon at altitude.

Wings

Jack Nowell

Right up there for pure talent. Nowell returned from injury in April and has hit the ground running for the Chiefs. Touted as a possible 13 by Jones in the past.

Denny Solomona

Testing second season with the Sharks has seen Solomona still finish with 11 tries in the Premiership. Made a big impact in Argentina last summer.

Jonny May

A favourite under Jones and May started all five Tests in the Six Nations, scoring four tries. His pace always causes problems.

Full-backs

Mike Brown

An essential pick on this tour for his leadership as vice-captain, and as one of few survivors from England's last tour to South Africa in 2012.

Jason Woodward

The man in form who qualifies for England through his grandmother. Pacy, strong under the high ball and a Super Rugby winner with the Hurricanes now adored at Gloucester.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Wed 09 May 2018, 3:53 pm

Good looking squad although a few odd calls. Surely Smith over Simmonds?? Robson has to tour too imo, perhaps at the expense of Care.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 09 May 2018, 4:15 pm

England should not be using the flippin grandmother rule for players like Woodward.

Its a total mockery....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 May 2018, 5:10 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Good looking squad although a few odd calls. Surely Smith over Simmonds?? Robson has to tour too imo, perhaps at the expense of Care.

Agreed, it's not a million miles off. I'd probably tweak a few selections and I'm sure Eddie Jones would tweak some as well, but it's probably quite similar to what we'll see, although there could be a few aggrieved at missing out (notably Armand, Robson and Cipriani).

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 09 May 2018, 9:15 pm

Are people actually not concerned if Woodward is selected?

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Yoda Wed 09 May 2018, 10:11 pm

I am Georgie but I've already written my opinion on qualification. At least he has served his time against his opponents in the Prem. Is he better than goode? He is an exciting player that's for sure.

Yoda

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 09 May 2018, 10:27 pm

Should a country with our finances and players numbers be having to rely on bringing in players like this...on grandparent rules!!!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Wed 09 May 2018, 10:57 pm

I don't get why our finances and players are great arguments against picking foreign-born players.

The number of registered players with the RFU will include foreign born players playing for English clubs as well as players like me who aren't in England contention.

We have lots of players, but we have a bottleneck at the top level because we only have a limited amount of clubs. We could go out with clipboards tomorrow and register another million EQ players but it wouldn't do the national team any good.

Once we accept that, our player pool is only 3 times bigger than Wales' and Ireland's, 6 times bigger than Scotland's and about twice as big as the Souther Hemisphere teams.

Yes we do cap a lot of foreign born players, but we also cap a lot of players full stop. Do we cap a higher proportion of foreign born players than other nations? Do we cap a higher proportion of foreign born players than the proportion of foreign born EQ players to home grown EQ players in the Prem?

If we want to limit the foreign born players in the England team, we need to limit the foreign born players in the Premiership.

Personally, and I've said it before, I'd like to see World Rugby tighten the eligibility criteria. But the rules being what they are and the make-up of our domestic players being what they are, I have no problem with us picking the best available if they truly are.

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 6:05 am

Well, it looks like Shields will tour, he's been granted permission from NZ rugby. Tbh, it was a bit of long winded affair seen as NZ rugby had no real right to stop him as it's an International window.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=12049027

"We are extremely disappointed that the RFU chose to take this unusual step in seeking this release given that Brad has not yet played rugby in England," said NZR head of professional rugby Chris Lendrum.

An odd comment, seen as it's an RFU policy to not select overseas players (unless extraordinary circumstances) and it's nothing to do with anybody else. Did the RFU kick up a stink when Tom Francis was selected by Wales, even though he'd never played there??

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 May 2018, 6:28 am

The nearest they've got is requesing a review on compensation for development of players. Shields doesn't come under this ad he's too old. I still back hat review to potentially mean situations like this would mean the rfu give a set amount of money to nz.

Having said that this stance was stupid by nz.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 6:37 am

Exactly, I mean the guy is 27 for gods sake.

They had to release him as it World Rugby rules, who cares what his contract says. The little dig at the RFU is completely irrational, it's very unprofessional from the them.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 10 May 2018, 6:45 am

Ha. Just ventured onto the nz herald site which is pretty much like wales online. Give yourself a laugh and have a read of rattue.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 6:46 am

The NZ press and NZR are as bad as our lot it seems...

New Zealand Rugby has, by special exception, released Hurricanes forward Brad Shields from the obligations of his contract - allowing him to be available for selection for England next month.

You had no choice but to release him....

Shields, who qualifies through his parents, will become eligible for England selection when his Super Rugby contract expires.

Nope...he's been eligible since birth.

NZR Head of Professional Rugby Chris Lendrum said while they believed there were clear legal grounds to decline a release request made by Shields' agent and the RFU, NZR considered the exceptional circumstances in this case.

No there wasn't, you're making it up. If there was, you wouldn't have released him.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 6:47 am

No 7&1/2 wrote:Ha. Just ventured onto the nz herald site which is pretty much like wales online. Give yourself a laugh and have a read of rattue.

There's a comments section? Love to read that!

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 10 May 2018, 8:50 am

Wasps fly-half Danny Cipriani has been included in a 34-man England squad for the tour of South Africa in June.

Owen Farrell has been named captain with hooker Dylan Hartley unavailable.

There are seven uncapped players in Eddie Jones' squad including Sale back Cameron Redpath, Wasps flanker Jack Willis and New Zealand-born flanker Brad Shields.

Experienced players such as scrum-half Danny Care and Lions tourists Dan Cole and James Haskell have been rested

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Thu 10 May 2018, 8:53 am

I see amid all the dramas around Brad Shields, former Scottish Captain Bryan Redpath's boy has also been called up for England

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 9:00 am

Good looking squad, pretty happy with that.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 10 May 2018, 9:01 am

furra_linee wrote:I see amid all the dramas around Brad Shields, former Scottish Captain Bryan Redpath's boy has also been called up for England

He's played England age grade, cap him before Gregor nicks him back.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 10 May 2018, 9:04 am

SA Tour Squad.

Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)
Nathan Earle (Saracens) *
Jonny May (Leicester Tigers)
Denny Solomona (Sale Sharks)

Inside backs
Danny Cipriani (Wasps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
George Ford (Leicester Tigers)
Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks) *
Dan Robson (Wasps) *
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens) *
Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors)
Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)

Forwards

Back five
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Ben Earl (Saracens) *
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs) *
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)  
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Chris Robshaw (Harlequins)
Brad Shields (Hurricanes/ Wasps) *
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Jack Willis (Wasps) *
Mark Wilson (Newcastle)

Front row
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

Not considered for selection:
Backs
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)      
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints)  
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)       
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)    
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)    
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)                                        
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)    
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
Forwards
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)   
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)  
James Haskell (Wasps)
Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
George Kruis (Saracens)     
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)                                                                
Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors)
Sam Underhill (Bath)
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Thu 10 May 2018, 9:06 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:
furra_linee wrote:I see amid all the dramas around Brad Shields, former Scottish Captain Bryan Redpath's boy has also been called up for England

He's played England age grade, cap him before Gregor nicks him back.

He'll have had a few chats with Townsend behind the scenes. He won't play for Scotland now he's had his head turned though. Gregor's too proud.

Last edited by furra_linee on Thu 10 May 2018, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 9:10 am

Nathan Earle is an odd inclusion, he's not been in great from when I've seen him. Dan Cole dropped and only 2 tight heads is a risk going to SA.

I like the makeup of the backrow, I really hope at least one of Willis or Curry have great tours and nail a spot. And Robson....about time!

Potential side:

1. Mako
2. George
3. Sinkler
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Shields
7. Robshaw
8. Vunipola

9. Youngs
10, Ford
11. May
12. Farrell
13. Slade/Te'o??
14. Daly
15. Brown

16. LCD 17. Williams 18. Genge 19. Isiekwe 20. Curry/Willis/Simmonds 21. Robson 22. Cipriani 23. Loz/Solomona

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Thu 10 May 2018, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 10 May 2018, 9:11 am

What has Don Armand got to do?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 May 2018, 9:20 am

Redpath is bloody brilliant, I'm glad we're getting ahead of the Scots on this one

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 9:20 am

TightHEAD wrote:What has Don Armand got to do?

Be better than Mark Wilson Whistle

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu 10 May 2018, 9:21 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:
TightHEAD wrote:What has Don Armand got to do?

Be better than Mark Wilson Whistle

And Sam Simmonds

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 May 2018, 9:25 am

The squad for the Barbarians game is very different, and has some interesting names

England training squad, Brighton (week commencing 14 May)
Backs

Full backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish)*
Ben Loader (London Irish)*
Jason Woodward (Gloucester Rugby)*

Inside backs

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors)*
Marcus Smith (Harlequins) *
Ben Vellacott (Gloucester Rugby) *

Forwards

Back five
Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks) *
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby) *
Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints)
Josh McNally (London Irish)*
Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) *
Jono Ross (Sale Sharks)*
Elliott Stooke (Bath Rugby) *

Front row

Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers)*
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby) *
Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors) *
Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors) *

*denotes uncapped player

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 10 May 2018, 9:26 am

Calling it now - Redpath and Lawrence to be our centre partnership at the 2027 RWC

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Thu 10 May 2018, 9:30 am

BamBam wrote:Redpath is bloody brilliant, I'm glad we're getting ahead of the Scots on this one

His Dad is the Scotland u20s coach for the World Championships next month, so the call up also means father and son won't be competing against each other!!

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 10 May 2018, 9:30 am

Disappointing from a Scottish perspective that Redpath has chosen the English route, no real complaints considering he has grown up there - but I did think the Redpath/Toonie connection might have swayed his decision making.

I can't help thinking that the big announcement of the Scottish qualified programme was a huge PR error from the SRU.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by furra_linee Thu 10 May 2018, 9:32 am

EST wrote:Disappointing from a Scottish perspective that Redpath has chosen the English route, no real complaints considering he has grown up there - but I did think the Redpath/Toonie connection might have swayed his decision making.  

I can't help thinking that the big announcement of the Scottish qualified programme was a huge PR error from the SRU.

Why an error? It's been going on for years. Do you think it will make Eddie more likely to choose dual qualified players?

furra_linee

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 10 May 2018, 9:38 am

TightHEAD wrote:SA Tour Squad.

Backs

Full backs
Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Elliot Daly (Wasps)
Nathan Earle (Saracens) *

Inside backs
Danny Cipriani (Wasps)
Owen Farrell (Saracens)
Alex Lozowski (Saracens)
Dan Robson (Wasps) *
Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
Ben Spencer (Saracens) *

Forwards

Back five
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Ben Earl (Saracens) *
Jonny Hill (Exeter Chiefs) *
Nick Isiekwe (Saracens)
Maro Itoje (Saracens)  
Joe Launchbury (Wasps)
Brad Shields (Hurricanes/ Wasps) *
Sam Simmonds (Exeter Chiefs)
Billy Vunipola (Saracens)
Jack Willis (Wasps) *
Mark Wilson (Newcastle)

Front row
Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs)
Jamie George (Saracens)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
Mako Vunipola (Saracens)
Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs)

Not considered for selection:
Backs
Danny Care (Harlequins)
Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby)      
Harry Mallinder (Northampton Saints)  
Joe Marchant (Harlequins)       
Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs)    
Semesa Rokoduguni (Bath Rugby)    
Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)                                        
Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby)    
Richard Wigglesworth (Saracens)
Forwards
Jack Clifford (Harlequins)   
Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
Tom Dunn (Bath Rugby)
Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby)
Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)  
James Haskell (Wasps)
Nathan Hughes (Wasps)
George Kruis (Saracens)     
Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)                                                                
Will Spencer (Worcester Warriors)
Sam Underhill (Bath)

Fullbacks: Daly, May and Brown will probably start with Solomona as the bench option. Earle is obviously a bit of a Jones project. Might not be ready yet, but Jones has seen something in him.

Inside backs: With Cipriani and Lozowski picked, it looks like we'll probably go 2 playmakers at 10/12 - otherwise we've got far too many options, so Ford and Farrell would be your favourites to start. I cynically think Cipriani has been called up to convince him to sign for an English club, I wouldn't be overly surprised if he wasn't capped this summer and didn't make the autumn squad to be honest.

The choice at 13 is interesting, it will basically be a style choice with Slade and Te'o as your options. To be honest I would like to see Slade given a go with Te'o reprising his impact sub role. If Jones picks that line-up (Ford, Farrell, Slade) he'll have the same midfield as Lancaster picked for his last game against Uruguay.

It's good to see some fresh faces at 9 as well, although Youngs will most likely start, which is also a bonus for us.

Back five - plenty of injuries here and then plenty of new faces - although not necessarily the worst thing as this was an area most identified after the Six Nations. Launchbury and Itoje will probably start with Isiekwe benching and Hill missing out on the matchday squad, which is a perfectly fine set of locks.

Back row is more interesting with 8 players selected. Vunipola and Simmonds are the options at 8, Robshaw, Shields and Wilson should be your 6s with Earl, Willis and Curry as the 7s. I think there is an outside chance Shields won't play a test, especially with 5 other flankers. But there's also a strong possibility he starts the first test with Robshaw, and Earl, Willis and Curry don't get a game between them. We'll see I guess.

Front row - down to bare bones a bit with only 7 selected, but plenty of quality and experience. With Marler and Mako Vunipola retained, Genge might not get the caps his form might merit, but Mako Vunipola, George and Sinckler with Genge, Cowan-Dickie and Williams on the bench would be the way I would go on this one.

My team (with where I think Eddie will differ in brackets):
1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Robshaw
7. Curry (Shields)
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Slade (Te'o)
14. May
15. Brown

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Genge (Marler)
18. Williams
19. Isiekwe
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Te'o (Cipriani)
23. Solomona

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 10 May 2018, 9:41 am

furra_linee wrote:
EST wrote:Disappointing from a Scottish perspective that Redpath has chosen the English route, no real complaints considering he has grown up there - but I did think the Redpath/Toonie connection might have swayed his decision making.  

Why an error? It's been going on for years. Do you think it will make Eddie more likely to choose dual qualified players?

I know it's been going on for years, but I don't think re-branding it and announcing it with much fanfare has helped the Scottish cause - to my mind it was better flying under the radar.

I obviously don't know for sure, but I think in some cases it will have influenced Jones decision making, the Graham selection specifically. Regarding Redpath, I think it may well have hastened the call up, but obviously there are other factors at play there, not least the Redpath/Toonie friendship and that by all accounts he is a very special player.

There is also the recent case of the English based U20 lads not being allowed to join up with the Scotland U20 team until 5 days before the tournament starts, the latest cut-off date as per World Rugby rules, despite them not having any games to prepare for.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Thu 10 May 2018, 9:45 am

BamBam wrote:The squad for the Barbarians game is very different, and has some interesting names

England training squad, Brighton (week commencing 14 May)
Backs

Full backs

Mike Brown (Harlequins)
Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish)*
Ben Loader (London Irish)*
Jason Woodward (Gloucester Rugby)*

Inside backs

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints)
Ollie Lawrence (Worcester Warriors)*
Marcus Smith (Harlequins) *
Ben Vellacott (Gloucester Rugby) *

Forwards

Back five
Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks) *
Tom Curry (Sale Sharks)
Tom Ellis (Bath Rugby) *
Teimana Harrison (Northampton Saints)
Josh McNally (London Irish)*
Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby) *
Jono Ross (Sale Sharks)*
Elliott Stooke (Bath Rugby) *

Front row

Paul Hill (Northampton Saints)
Joe Marler (Harlequins)
George McGuigan (Leicester Tigers)*
Beno Obano (Bath Rugby) *
Nick Schonert (Worcester Warriors) *
Jack Singleton (Worcester Warriors) *

*denotes uncapped player

You think priority for this fixture would probably go to the touring players, especially the uncapped ones. Maybe a 23 of:
Marler, Singleton, Sinckler, Beaumont, Stooke, Robshaw, Curry, Mercer, Youngs, Ford, Solomona, Te'o, Redpath, May, Brown
McGuigan, Genge, Hill, McNally, Ross, Velacott, Smith, Woodward

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Thu 10 May 2018, 9:53 am

You could still get Stuart Lancaster's son, Dan, who was part of the Scotland U-18 set up.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 10 May 2018, 10:13 am

Pretty happy with that squad really.
Only change would be woodward for someone.

Willis IMO has been the best 6/7 in the league when he has played.

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2018, 10:15 am

Sgt_Pooly wrote:The NZ press and NZR are as bad as our lot it seems...

New Zealand Rugby has, by special exception, released Hurricanes forward Brad Shields from the obligations of his contract - allowing him to be available for selection for England next month.

Shields, who qualifies through his parents, will become eligible for England selection when his Super Rugby contract expires.

NZR Head of Professional Rugby Chris Lendrum said while they believed there were clear legal grounds to decline a release request made by Shields' agent and the RFU, NZR considered the exceptional circumstances in this case.

No there wasn't, you're making it up. If there was, you wouldn't have released him.

Are you seriously throwing shade at NZR after England pick a professional NZ born rugby player that was developed entirely in NZ and has represented NZ?

England have mind-fooked themselves post-2003

England rugby = band of foreigners

And Jason Woodward, lol

England have sold their soul (if it ever existed)

Back to top Go down

Post by Welly Thu 10 May 2018, 10:19 am

ebop wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:The NZ press and NZR are as bad as our lot it seems...

Are you seriously throwing shade at NZR after England pick a professional NZ born rugby player that was developed entirely in NZ and has represented NZ?

England have mind-fooked themselves post-2003

England rugby = band of foreigners

And Jason Woodward, lol

England have sold their soul (if it ever existed)

This post laughing

Welly

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 10 May 2018, 10:19 am

A kiwi moaning about picking overseas players, oh the irony!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 10 May 2018, 10:25 am

The number of NZ born, NZ raised or professionally developed NZ players in your team is frightening

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 10:28 am

Read my post again ebop, have I said anything that isn't correct?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Thu 10 May 2018, 10:30 am

ebop wrote:The number of NZ born, NZ raised or professionally developed NZ players in your team is frightening

1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Launchbury
5. Itoje
6. Robshaw
7. Curry (Shields)
8. Vunipola
9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. Daly
12. Farrell
13. Slade (Te'o)
14. May
15. Brown

16. Cowan-Dickie
17. Genge (Marler)
18. Williams
19. Isiekwe
20. Simmonds
21. Robson
22. Te'o (Cipriani)
23. Solomona

How many is there?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 22 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18 ... 22  Next