The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher

+7
LadyPutt
wiretapper
NedB-H
pedro
super_realist
GPB
kwinigolfer
11 posters

Go down

PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Apr 2018, 1:27 pm

1).Or at least, that's what Zurich Insurance Group are hoping with their second attempt to jazz their N'Orleans Tour event up a little with the team tournament, two rounds of foursomes, two rounds of better ball. Last year's event was successful by all accounts, despite the Kisner/Brown vs Blixt/Smith Play-Off being delayed until the Monday due to weather problems. No such issue expected this year as the forecast is for an unusually splendid four days of weather, at least for the New Orleans Tour stop. Provided of course that Thursday showers don't get out of hand.

2).There are no World Ranking points but, if there were, they would reveal this tournament to enjoy one of the year's strongest fields. Ten of the World's Top 15 are in town, but the event's weekend action will be marred by some truly awful "music" as players will be welcomed to the tee by their chosen "walk-up" songs. Here's a sampling of the rubbish being inflicted:

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2018/04/24/zurich-classic-of-new-orleans-players-teams-walk-up-music-songs.html

No sign yet of any hymns or psalms, praise the lord, but no sign of any imagination either. (Tho I DO like the Dropkick Murphys' Christmas effort which I imagine the Tour would have banned even if it were seasonal.)

3).No word yet on Ian James Poulter's choice (playing with McDowell), but perhaps Warren Zevon's "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" might work for him, perhaps specially re-recorded (tho obviously not by the late great WZ) using Alex Iwobi's name instead of Roland?
And no word from Fleetwood/Paisley either.

4).One or two snippets from the golf media's fine print from the past week:
*Luke Donald out until further notice resting an ailing back.
*Charles Schwab Corporation have signed a four year (2019 - 2022) contract to sponsor Fort Worth's "Colonial Invitational".
*And there are rumours that Quicken Loans will sponsor an event at Detroit Country Club to replace the apparently ill-fated and poorly supported Tiger-inspired event in the Washington DC area.

5).And that's about it. Quail Hollow, sponsored by the crookedest banking firm in the bent-est industry in North America, is up next week, followed by The Players, then another fortnight in Texas, Memorial and Memphis before US Open action at Shinnecock.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by GPB Thu 26 Apr 2018, 3:09 pm

Man, so much criticism of the Walk-Up songs. I am sure the teams just picked them randomly and gave them no thought whatsoever.

They wouldn't be my choices either, but it would be pretty dull if everyone only like Vanilla Ice Cream. (I prefer pistachio, which is hard to find in these parts).

I am surprised that no one chose "Hair of the Dog" or "Welcome to the Jungle" which would have been atop of my short list. or maybe some Wagner, with the "Ride of the Valkyries

I might have gone Herb Alpert and "Spanish Flea" for Sergio and RCB and th Mexican Hat Dance for Ancer and Diaz and the "Yakety Sax" for Rose/Stenson.

McDowell/Poulter probably should have chosen the "River Kwai March".

GPB

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher Empty Re: PGA Tour: New Orleans - Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Apr 2018, 3:33 pm

They could have had more of a sense of humour and originality GPB, I'm sure most of the songs are ok, but no one having much fun there or being especially original.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 26 Apr 2018, 3:53 pm

GPB wrote: it would be pretty dull if everyone only like Vanilla Ice Cream.
I actually preferred MC Hammer.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 26 Apr 2018, 4:22 pm

super_realist wrote:They could have had more of a sense of humour and originality GPB, I'm sure most of the songs are ok, but no one having much fun there or being especially original.

Somehow, I don't think you would have liked any of the songs, even if you hand-picked them.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Apr 2018, 4:49 pm

Well, as an example, Laird and Knox if they had to have something that represented Scotland could have picked "Donald where's your Troosers", that would have been a lot more light hearted than the dreadful guff of Flower of Scotland.
Shane Lowry could have picked "Eat it" by Weird Al.

Their choices are akin to rubbish Pub Quiz names like "The A Team" or "and in Last Place"

I even see someone picked Careless Whisper, I'm presuming that they are actually taking the "Michael" with that one, although Patrick Reeds terrible choice of Eye of the Tiger tells us all we need to know about him. What a plank.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Apr 2018, 5:19 pm

One redeeming feature would be that only 35 teams (plus ties) will make the weekend and suffer the indignity of having their "music" played - the rest can move on to Charlotte with at least some dignity intact.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 Apr 2018, 5:52 pm

Laird and Knox’s is one of the better picks, even if super doesn’t like the tune. Least they picked something relevant to their “team”, rather than just their favourite song in the current charts, like the imagination-less pairs that picked Drake songs. Can’t see the teams that picked rap songs getting the crowd going much either. And the tour sorely needed to introduce a first come, first serve rule, Enter Sandman is a fair enough choice for someone, but not for three different teams and counting.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Apr 2018, 6:01 pm

Laird and Knox went route one, there's tons of better songs they could have picked. Just shows how little imagination golfers actually have.

Who said the song had to be relevant anyway?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

Or maybe they have more affinity to it as an anthem than you do, and liked the idea of walking out to their anthem?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Apr 2018, 7:22 pm

Best score in better ball so far: 12 under after 17 holes from Glover/Reavie
Worst score so far: 2 under, 70, from Justin Thomas/Bud Cauley - didn't see that coming.

Par looks to be about 66.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 26 Apr 2018, 7:38 pm

NedB-H wrote:Or maybe they have more affinity to it as an anthem than you do, and liked the idea of walking out to their anthem?

Yeah, so much affinity with Scotland they couldn't wait to get out.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Thu 26 Apr 2018, 8:51 pm

Of course, no one who has ever migrated abroad for furtherment of a career can ever retain any feeling for the place they grew up.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Apr 2018, 9:25 pm

NedB-H wrote:Of course, no one who has ever migrated abroad for furtherment of a career can ever retain any feeling for the place they grew up.

Exactly, I'd have the Pompey Chimes ringing out . . . . . . . .

Impressive how well Blixt & Cameron Smith are doing again; great combination of skills.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 26 Apr 2018, 10:54 pm

Confirmation that T.Woods will be at Quail Hollow next week . . . . . .

This golf course gets a fair amount of grief from US Media, but I kinda like it, quite good for this format especially.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 27 Apr 2018, 12:38 am

Stenson & Rose just updated their walk up tune to

"BAD MOON RISING"

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 12:57 am

Why have stuff from before they were born?

All Team GB&I inside the overnight cut line (Top 35 and ties). Not sure that will hold up, but a good start.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Apr 2018, 7:58 am

NedB-H wrote:Of course, no one who has ever migrated abroad for furtherment of a career can ever retain any feeling for the place they grew up.

If the Scottish anthem was anything like the ones from Russia, Italy, France or Germany I could understand using it, however it is without doubt one of the biggest dirges and most bigoted, inward looking, small minded and bitter anthems in the entire world. If you want to pick a song about Scotland, there's a lot better ones you could pick without having to resort to something as cringeworthy as Flower of Scotland. People watching that will be thinking "what is that crap?"

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by wiretapper Fri 27 Apr 2018, 9:01 am

super_realist wrote:

If the Scottish anthem was anything like the ones from Russia, Italy, France or Germany I could understand using it, however it is without doubt one of the biggest dirges and most bigoted, inward looking, small minded and bitter anthems in the entire world. If you want to pick a song about Scotland, there's a lot better ones you could pick without having to resort to something as cringeworthy as Flower of Scotland. People watching that will be thinking "what is that crap?"

I have to agree, I don't like it at all. And it's not even our anthem.

wiretapper

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 27 Apr 2018, 12:53 pm

It's hard to think what is worse Wire, The English anthem or the Scottish one. Both truly awful.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 2:28 pm

Only the teams that make the cut will get to be embarrassed by their choices being played - that will be the leading Top 35 plus ties.

Currently that would be a cut-line of -6; can see it going quickly to -7 but probably not much further than that as the boys (and don't think there's a single female artist among the musical choices, very un-pc) play foursomes.

It seems the players would love to play a scramble round; imagine TV would like that too.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri 27 Apr 2018, 4:06 pm

If the Chinese duo remains in contention, will any of the networks talk about Zhang suspension from PGATour-China for taking an eraser to his scorecard? Not once, but twice.

http://en.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/364735.html

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

GPB wrote:If the Chinese duo remains in contention, will any of the networks talk about Zhang suspension from PGATour-China for taking an eraser to his scorecard?  Not once, but twice.

http://en.espn.co.uk/golf/sport/story/364735.html

Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Hey, GPB, Is your leaderboard working or has a bomb dropped on NOLA?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 4:46 pm

Ah ha!
Back to normal. Phew.
Oh dear, Blixt & Smith just caught a crab - they were looking so good most of Round 1, but they have it all to do now.
Happy to see Shane Harrington playing nicely, could be a big event for them.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Fri 27 Apr 2018, 7:00 pm

super_realist wrote:

Sounds like my views on God Save The Queen...

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 7:20 pm

Touch and go for the Padraig Lowry duo as to whether they'll get to hear U2 tomorrow. Comprehensive horlicks at 17 will probably send them on their way; wasted opportunity for both.

Scoring not so clever this afternoon gives Ireland a reprieve.
And a terrible first nine holes for Fleetwood & Paisley.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Fri 27 Apr 2018, 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 27 Apr 2018, 7:32 pm

Most teams seem to average about 5 or 6 strokes more in foursomes vs better ball.
But not Kuchar & Bubba, who shot one stroke less.
Wonder if there's a rule against them playing foursomes for both weekend rounds?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Apr 2018, 12:51 am

Patrick Reed survives, but all the four 2017 Major winners (Sergio, Koepka, Spieth, Thomas) go down the drain.

Terrible final few holes for Team Bonnie (in exile), and I hadn't realised that Chris Paisley had a hole-in-one in Round 2. Tommy didn't have to putt.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyPutt Sat 28 Apr 2018, 1:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote: I hadn't realised that Chris Paisley had a hole-in-one in Round 2. Tommy didn't have to putt.
Nor had I but then the TV coverage here, when I’be been watching, hasn’t shown them so they might just as well have not been playing anyway!
LadyPutt
LadyPutt

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat 28 Apr 2018, 4:20 pm

LadyPutt wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote: I hadn't realised that Chris Paisley had a hole-in-one in Round 2. Tommy didn't have to putt.
Nor had I but then the TV coverage here, when I’be been watching, hasn’t shown them so they might just as well have not been playing anyway!

Hopefully TF & CP will give us something to shout about today - off to a decent start anyway.

Billy Hurley had a hole-in-one yesterday also. Apparently!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Diggers Sun 29 Apr 2018, 11:04 am

I find it literally impossible to take an interest in this tournament, tried to watch some last night and just could not engage with the format.

Diggers

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Apr 2018, 1:05 pm

I am enjoying this tournament. Something different than the 72 hole stroke play that we get 48 out of 52 weeks. Its unfortunate that most of the high ranked players missed the cut, it only affects my interest by a small amount.

I love watching pros play alternate shot.

YE Yang won the Crowns tournament in Japan earlier today. He was ranked #925 in the OWGR. The last OWGR pts he had earned was a year ago, in the China Open

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 29 Apr 2018, 2:44 pm

Not sure whether or not this is what the Tour had in mind with their idea of walk-up music:

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/golf-central-blog/watch-crane-cejka-rock-out-first-tee-zurich/

Presumably there'll be more of that today provided Cejka doesn't get himself a buzz-cut.

Thought Round 3 was a snooze-fest, and once again CBS sends its "B" Team for the occasion - bet Nantz & McCord etc will be there for the bent bankers Open in Charlotte though.
Should be another lovely day down by the bayou . . . . . . . . hopefully we'll get the fireworks that have been missing so far.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Apr 2018, 2:51 pm

Can't wait for the Golf Sixes event next week in England!

The ET website doesn't even have entry list published for the event.

It is one of Pelley's good ideas. Squeeze the gallery onto 6 holes to make it look larger.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun 29 Apr 2018, 3:22 pm

GPB wrote:The ET website doesn't even have entry list published for the event.

You just have to look for it GPB. Not hard. HERE

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 29 Apr 2018, 3:58 pm

It's not here where it is 51 out of 52 weeks

http://www.europeantour.com/europeantour/season=2018/tournamentid=2018038/teetimes/index.html

And I didn't realize it was a co-ed tournament.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun 29 Apr 2018, 7:26 pm

Not exactly a tantalising field.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 29 Apr 2018, 11:31 pm

Well, we said a couple of weeks ago that Billy Horschel is streaky and to watch out - but didn't see him winning a team event.
What we got was a head-to-head shoot-out between teams of past New Orleans winners and hustlers sponsored by Las Vegas casinos.

Nice T4 finish from Team England and T7 from Team Bagpipes.

And nice work from the Tour as they announce Zurich extend their sponsorship thru 2026.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 30 Apr 2018, 9:53 am

Watched a bit of the Zurich but can hardly say I was captivated.

kwinigolfer wrote:
And nice work from the Tour as they announce Zurich extend their sponsorship thru 2026.
Hope the Tour read the Zurich T&C fineprint carefully...

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:51 pm

Confirmation this morning that Messrs Fish, Fitz, Fleet, Hatton, Levy & Noren are among those qualified for The Players via the owgr Top 50.

And this week's field at Quail Hollow in Charlotte includes:
Casey, Fisher, Fleetwood, Hatton, Lowry, McDowell, McIlroy, Power, plus Kaymer, Molinari & Noren.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 30 Apr 2018, 4:53 pm

And now confirmation that Chris Paisley's hole-out eagle for 40+ yards on the 72nd hole yesterday, which secured him & Tommy Fleetwood a T4, also earns him a tee-time at Quail Hollow this week. Turning in to a very promising year for Paisley.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 30 Apr 2018, 11:50 pm

Class act

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/grill-room/watch-bjorn-shocks-atkinson-home-visit/

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 01 May 2018, 3:10 am

pedro wrote:Class act

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/grill-room/watch-bjorn-shocks-atkinson-home-visit/

WTF? Bjorn has possession of the RC? What kind of Bull excrement is that?

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 01 May 2018, 8:10 am

GPB wrote:
pedro wrote:Class act

WTF?  Bjorn has possession of the RC?  What kind of Bull excrement is that?

What's wrong with that GPB? It always makes a tour to promote it. My mate has a picture of him with it at his house pre Gleneagles.
Pretty sure it would also have toured America during all those years you didn't win it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Tue 01 May 2018, 9:00 am

super_realist wrote:
Pretty sure it would also have toured America during all those years you didn't win it.
There’s even a good chance it reached their overseas dependencies.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 01 May 2018, 9:10 am

pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:

The UK.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 01 May 2018, 11:20 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:
pedro wrote:
super_realist wrote:

The UK.
Laugh
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down