The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Zealand v France tests

+20
aucklandlaurie
Heaf
RDW
Good Golly I'm Olly
yappysnap
SecretFly
Taylorman
lostinwales
Rugby Fan
SirJohnnyEnglish
No 7&1/2
Not grey and not a ghost
RiscaGame
Brendan
Poorfour
Duty281
eirebilly
whocares
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Sgt_Pooly
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

New Zealand v France tests  - Page 3 Empty New Zealand v France tests

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat 09 Jun 2018, 8:48 am

First topic message reminder :

Thought I'd set up a thread for the test series.

Test 1:

Date: Saturday, June 9
Venue: Eden Park, Auckland
Kick-off: 19.35 (07.35 GMT, 09.35 France time)
Expected weather: There will be a temperature of around 9°C around kick-off time with a slight breeze. It will be clear with no rain expected.
Referee: Luke Pearce (England)
Assistant referees: Angus Gardner (Australia), John Lacey (Ireland)
TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)

All Blacks: 15. Jordie Barrett, 14. Ben Smith, 13. Anton Lienert-Brown, 12. Ryan Crotty, 11. Rieko Ioane, 10. Beauden Barrett, 9. Aaron Smith, 8. Luke Whitelock, 7. Sam Cane, 6. Liam Squire, 5. Scott Barrett, 4. Sam Whitelock (c), 3. Owen Franks, 2. Codie Taylor, 1. Joe Moody.

Reserves: 16. Nathan Harris, 17. Karl Tu'inukuafe, 18. Ofa Tu'ungafasi, 19. Vaea Fifita, 20. Ardie Savea, 21. TJ Perenara, 22. Damian McKenzie, 23. Ngani Laumape.

France: 15 Maxime Medard, 14 Teddy Thomas, 13 Mathieu Bastareaud (captain), 12 Geoffrey Doumayrou, 11 Remy Grosso, 10 Anthony Belleau, 9 Morgan Parra, 8 Fabien Sanconnie, 7 Kelian Gourdon, 6 Judicael Cancoriet, 5 Yoann Maestri, 4 Paul Gabrillagues, 3 Uini Atonio,2 Camille Chat, 1 Dany Priso.

Replacements: 16 Adrien Pelissie, 17 Cyril Baille, 18 Rabah Slimani, 19 Bernard Le Roux, 20 Alexandre Lapandry, 21 Baptiste Serin, 22 Jules Plisson, 23 Gael Fickou.

Last edited by Sgt_Pooly on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 9:10 am; edited 4 times in total

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

New Zealand v France tests  - Page 3 Empty Re: New Zealand v France tests

Post by kingelderfield Sun 01 Jul 2018, 12:54 pm

Not sure where best to post this, however I watched the first 30 mins of the Chiefs Highlanders yesterday and like others was very impressed with the Chiefs FB Solomon Alaimalo.
Next cab of the rank. I hadn't seen him before so am unsure if he was a part of the recent tests? Though I suspect he could be a AB at some point.

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 07 Jul 2018, 12:32 am

kingelderfield wrote:Not sure where best to post this, however I watched the first 30 mins of the Chiefs Highlanders yesterday and like others was very impressed with the Chiefs FB Solomon Alaimalo.
Next cab of the rank. I hadn't seen him before so am unsure if he was a part of the recent tests? Though I suspect he could be a AB at some point.

Did you catch the Saders Highlanders match? Another beaut. Read, Smiths, Mouaga, Barrett et others on song for the Rugby championship. Looks like another Saders title. No one will take them at home now with a near on full squad available finally.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sat 21 Jul 2018, 6:06 am

Taylorman ,CANE is not a 7,TODD is in the same class as Pocock and Hooper and maybe better
than either.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat 21 Jul 2018, 9:32 pm

alanmackie6 wrote:Taylorman ,CANE is not a 7,TODD is in the same class as Pocock and Hooper and maybe better
than either.

Yes unfortunately its only you that thinks that. Its odd that Cane runs out in 7 every single time in the last few years. How does that reconcile with your theory? Its actually Pocock thats not a 7, he runs out in 8.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sat 21 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm

I`ve never seen Todd have a bad match at any level.Cane is a 6.5 and his form varies SHAG knows his value.
Injury cover after the loyalty he`s shown its McCaw/Holah all over again,Pocock wears 8 but he`s a seven
to

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Sat 21 Jul 2018, 10:00 pm

I`ve never seen Todd have a bad match at any level.Cane is a 6.5 and his form varies SHAG knows his value.
Injury cover after the loyalty he`s shown its McCaw/Holah all over again,Pocock wears 8 but he`s a seven
to

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Mon 23 Jul 2018, 7:00 pm

Taylor loves my opinions on Cane, I'll try not to disappoint Wink

Agree to a point regards Cane, he's not a typical 7 but more a 7 than a traditional 6. I do think the roles are quite interchangeable these days and not many sides have out and 6's and 7's.

Todd is an odd one. I watch him in Super rugby and that boy is outstanding, but, he's never quite cut the mustard in black imo.

Cane on the other hand (No matter that I don't think he'll ever be world class) seems to be able to bridge the gap better and looks more comfortable at Int level.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Mon 23 Jul 2018, 7:12 pm

You claim to be an expert,IF you have watched Todd play for NZ in any he`s played in.
Then you would surely change your mind he was outstanding in the tests too,NEVER
has a bad game at any level.At a pinch can cover 6 and 8 too.You have only to look
at the breakdown area when he`s on compared to Cane.Incidentally if you read the
Planet Rugby,Guardian sites you will see I`m far from alone in my opinion. Smile Smile Smile

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 23 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm

Paul Lewis: Where have all our world-class openside flankers gone?

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/super-rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=331&objectid=12092861

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Tue 24 Jul 2018, 9:17 am

I can't recall Todd ever being outstanding against decent test opposition personally. I can't see anybody claiming to be an expert here, we're just rugby fans with opinions.

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Tue 24 Jul 2018, 7:04 pm

Such arrogance only England and Ireland are the only teams he hasn't played against does that mean the rest are rubbish?

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 25 Jul 2018, 11:05 am

He's a place holder.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 25 Jul 2018, 2:34 pm

alanmackie6 wrote:Such arrogance only England and Ireland are the only teams he hasn't played against does that mean the rest are rubbish?

Probably just a difference of opinion as to what constitutes an outstanding performance. As Todd is now 30 and has just four international starts it does not seem as if the NZ hierarchy are convinced.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Thu 26 Jul 2018, 1:51 pm

He like issy dagg is off to japan ruling him out of AI`s and Rugby championship,Hansen has indicated
he wants to use this year to give the young blood a chance for RWC.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 26 Jul 2018, 8:38 pm

Sgt_Pooly wrote:Taylor loves my opinions on Cane, I'll try not to disappoint Wink

Agree to a point regards Cane, he's not a typical 7 but more a 7 than a traditional 6. I do think the roles are quite interchangeable these days and not many sides have out and 6's and 7's.

Todd is an odd one. I watch him in Super rugby and that boy is outstanding, but, he's never quite cut the mustard in black imo.

Cane on the other hand (No matter that I don't think he'll ever be world class) seems to be able to bridge the gap better and looks more comfortable at Int level.

Yeah well that was my point. Cane was back up to McCaw and has stepped in and now owns the 7 jersey in an era where our Sevens standards are not as high as usual. Todd has NEVER been considered as NZs no.1 flanker nor has he imposed himself at test level the way McCaw did many times and how Cane in probably his best test of two versus Wales a couple of years ago. The other was the Boks at Eden park a few years ago. In a country that has produced far and away the best 7s in the game Todd is not in that company. Neither is Cane. This year he has disappointed at Super level in terms of doninating the opposition and at that level Todd had a better year.

But great ABs are never described as ‘never had a bad game’. Theyre described in ways that make opposition fans stomachs churn. McCaw gained a respectful hatred because he frustrated the hek out if other sides, and was perpetually targeted because he pushed the boundaries.

Neither Cane nor Todd get that recognition. No one says ‘geez if Todds playing we’re sunk’. At least Cane has terrorised his opposition on occasion. Hes a typically good NZ flanker and probably no.2 ahead of Ardie, who Im not a fan of as consistent starter for the ABs.

Todd would acquit himself well if he permanently started for the ABs but he would never be the primary reason for winning if one had to single out players. Barrett, Retallick, both Smiths, Reiko, formerly Coles, Read are the current core group that make the difference between a very good and a consistent world number one. They consistently climb above others more than not. Todd is nowhere near that company.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Thu 26 Jul 2018, 9:45 pm

The back row only works if it has a good tight five NZ have,Todd would walk into most sides at 7and could have been a rich man if he`d accepted the offers of top 14 in france.Crusaders back row would fit for abs too.

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 27 Jul 2018, 12:52 am

alanmackie6 wrote:The back row only works if it has a good tight five NZ have,Todd would walk into most sides at 7and could have been a rich man if he`d accepted the offers of top 14 in france.Crusaders back row would fit for abs too.

Yes he could have, hes just compared to a group that represent the very best in the game. I think he’ll be in the squad for the RC simply because after Cane and Ardie hes the obvious next and i believe Ardies off to poorer pastures, so Todd might be favoured for his loyalty. Hansen likes making a point.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by alanmackie6 Fri 27 Jul 2018, 11:01 am

Injuries can be a hard master,Thomson was the incumbent 6 pre RWC2011 ,Kaino replaced him.
Romano till he did both achilles was starting Lock,Retallick replaced him,When Carter and McCaw
were injured pre RWC people who should have known better wrote them off.Cruden for Barrett etc.

Dagg was in blinding form till injured,had a good last game for Crusaders then dropped for Havili

Todd was good enough to push RM to 6 after he returned from injuries,SHAG is planning for
post 2019 exedous

alanmackie6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3