The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

+32
Cymroglan
Feckless Rogue
Ozzy3213
nottins
Glas a du
Standulstermen
poissonrouge
stlowe
Suspicious lurker
The_Hound_of_Harrow
MBTGOG
littleswannygirl
RuggerRadge2611
prop_lyd
MeanAsCustard
KiaRose
Mick(TEFC)
greybeard
Mickado
HammerofThunor
Thomond
rodders
Gibson
Luckless Pedestrian
robbo277
PenfroPete
red_stag
Notch
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Cari
Adam D
36 posters

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next

Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub Empty The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:17 am

Welcome to the virtual rugby pub - a place where you can come in for a sly beverage and discuss whatever's on your mind, or just eavesdrop on the regulars if you fancy a break from all the rugby chat.

The only rule in this pub is one of mutual respect for everyone in it, oh and no defacing the Tommy Bowe photo on the bar. That's a banning offence

So pull up a chair....what'll it be? appletini

Last edited by Hobo on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub Empty Re: The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:22 am

I've just replied to the zombie apocalypse thread. Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:24 am

Brumbies lead Rebels 18-3 at half-time, Brumbies pack very much on top coffee

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:25 am

Brumbies up 18-3, half-time. Looks like the Rebels have the overall comp wooden spoon sewn up.

Edit: Oops, As beat me to it.
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:28 am

Re. Zombies. Radge has the wrong idea. You don;t go to B&Q to get equipment to fight them off- B&Q will most likely be in a retail park with a lot of people working there. What I'm saying is that you're likely to face zombies when you get there. No. You must have your weapons READY. If you wake up after the Zombie apocalypse and you don't- already too late. I recommend a shotgun and some sort of longsword. A baseball bat will do in a pinch. Remember; bring enough ammunition to last and make your shots count! Don't let them get too close but don't fire wildly from long range either as this is not an economical use of ammo.

You need to have access to a car, you need that car to be filled with non-perishable rations and you need to get out of the city and hopefully to the nearest marina. Zombies can't swim. Take to the seas with your rations- a floating castle. Check the boat thoroughly for zombies before you leave the docks. Make sure your boat has a radio! You'll need that to get in touch with the international rescue effort. And remember; always save a shotgun shell for yourself in case there is no rescue effort.

Stay safe, Notch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

Notch wrote:Re. Zombies. Radge has the wrong idea. You don;t go to B&Q to get equipment to fight them off- B&Q will most likely be in a retail park with a lot of people working there. What I'm saying is that you're likely to face zombies when you get there. No. You must have your weapons READY. If you wake up after the Zombie apocalypse and you don't- already too late. I recommend a shotgun and some sort of longsword. A baseball bat will do in a pinch. Remember; bring enough ammunition to last and make your shots count! Don't let them get too close but don't fire wildly from long range either as this is not an economical use of ammo.

You need to have access to a car, you need that car to be filled with non-perishable rations and you need to get out of the city and hopefully to the nearest marina. Zombies can't swim. Take to the seas with your rations- a floating castle. Check the boat thoroughly for zombies before you leave the docks. Make sure your boat has a radio! You'll need that to get in touch with the international rescue effort. And remember; always save a shotgun shell for yourself in case there is no rescue effort.

Stay safe, Notch

The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub 810156456
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:31 am

Notch - it's OK my plan's easy. Hide in a morgue/cemetery cause apparently zombies only attack non-zombified people not dead bodies. Then, make a fast getaway on really powerful motorbike. I'd have to ride pillion though cause I haven't got a licence and I've never used a motorbike before. But that's OK too, cause the driver would have to be some lovely fella that I could repopulate the world with after the apocalypse. He'd probably be Irish Wink Sorted.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:43 am

PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:44 am

Cari - in response to the beautifulpeople.com thing, I'm sure there are a lot of people who are taking it seriously, but I think there will also be a large amount of people just looking to have a laugh, so that would distort the stats.

Onto zombies, there used to be a sword shop in my town but it closed down. It had an 8-month closing down sale (think it had probably already committed to the premises for that time), so my Dad went in there. Long story short I have 7 swords in my house (including the sword from Braveheart?!) so as long as I can get downstairs I should be suitably armed in case of a zombie attack. Plus, my favourite game on Xbox is Left 4 Dead 2, so I'm used to the high pressure situations zombie attacks bring (and also well practiced in being a zombie myself, in case I find myself getting turned).

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:45 am

straight to the museum for me to pick up some old fashioned chainmail armour and an axe/ sword or to. I also like their concession stand.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:46 am

I like Radge's idea of getting so completely sodden than you wouldn't even notice when they were eating your brains. They might be put off by the fumes, anyway.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:47 am

Excellent Notch. You have obviously been Zombie-prepared - for some weird and unknown reason.

In Leicester, Id just set Castro and the Tuilagi bros on the Zombies. Or failing that, a bunch of ugly, drunken, Paddies on Tour. They'd freak out and run. The Zombies not the Paddies. Or we could just get the beautiful 2 x Micks and Huggie, to charm them to death.

Now where did I put that video?

Lovely bright and fresh day in the Dam. I feel like a roide. I am a roide.

Cari said so. Welcome back Landlady. Can I have a The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub 1145808659 please? coffee
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

Just out of interest.....

does anyone else think we might be heading into a new ice age in northern europe, similar to the younger dryas? There's still some debate about what caused the dryas but it happened pretty quick.

The climate change in Ireland in the past 2 years has been incredible with dull and cool summers and freezing winters.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:49 am

roddersm wrote:Just out of interest.....

does anyone else think we might be heading into a new ice age in northern europe, similar to the younger dryas? There's still some debate about what caused the dryas but it happened pretty quick.

The climate change in Ireland in the past 2 years has been incredible with dull and cool summers and freezing winters.

Its been like that for the last 15 years in Scotland - wouldnt worry about it!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

Yeah you are Gibbo. I was broken when you went home with the chef. Beeatch! :guiness: Smile

Rodders - I think there's certainly a lot to be said for climate change. We're drying out. Apparently East Anglia is officially in drought.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:51 am

Rodders, I think it has something to do with camels farting in Oz. Dont quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:53 am

Gibson wrote:Rodders, I think it has something to do with camels farting in Oz. Dont quote me on that, but I'm pretty sure.

laughing

So, there's not going to be a zombie apocalypse? No riding on a motorbike with an Irshman for me then...We're all going to shrivel up or freeze to death instead.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:54 am

Ha ha. No seriously I don't normally believe in these disaster/conspiracy theories but I think something is seriously up with the gulf stream and we might be fecked in a few years. Northern Europe will be like greenland and we'll all have to pile down into russia!

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

Good! I prefer the winter. "Brings us closer together" so said the Manics.

They're saying the North Pole is melting and we'll all drown before the world freezes anyway, so I'm not sure whether to get a wetsuit or a few more woolly jumpers Rolling Eyes

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:56 am

If the Gulf stream changes its path for the long term then we're in for a hell of a change. Just look at our latitude. It's only the Gulf stream that's keeping our climate as mild as it is.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

Oh Cari, you are so sweet and naive Smile

Zombies can, of course, smell human flesh and distinguish between the recently killed, long dead and still alive. I can no more endorse your plan than I could recommend basking in a marinade and hiding in the oven to turkeys who wish to avoid Christmas.

I do appreciate some of you are not as well prepared as I am (fools). However there are some practical tips I can share for outmaneuvering Zombies in the home.

The easiest way of outmaneuvering Zombies is to use your superior intelligence; lure them into a trap. Utility rooms and garages make superb improvised Zombie prisons. Simply lure them in, and lock them in.

To bait the trap you'll need a dead human, preferably fresh (recommend changing every two days). Obtaining a corpse can be tricky, morgues are well protected and this really only works with fresh bodies. I leave the details up to you. Next-door neighbours are a good resource in this regard. Invite them over for tea and cyanide. No, not the ones who invited you to go on holiday with them, the ones who had your hedge trimmed down without asking. Yes, they'll do. Remember when the Zombie apocalypse comes, it's every man for themselves- don't feel bad about gaining a head start.

The Zombies will be attracted to the dead corpse, giving you a chance to escape or safely capture them by locking the door. I recommend making sure the doors and fittings in your house and sturdily constructed (ideally made of cast iron, between 4-5 inches) because wood just won't hold them for long enough.

It's always better to run, rather than to fight. Have an escape route mapped out in your head every night before you go to bed and stick to it. Try and reach wide open spaces where your superior speed can help you avoid them. If you live in a small house or find there are many zombies, you may have to fight. Do not let them get to close! Zombies are far, far stronger than the average human. If they get close in, you're already finished. Always target the head.

Keep a good method of suicide in your house. A shotgun or poison. If bitten, it's better to end your suffering quickly and in that situation you don't want to have to improvise with a rusty spoon and half a packet of paracetemol.

Stay safe, Notch
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 11:57 am

Sorry to depress everyone on a friday.

Hey don't worry we should have time to get this years WC in Smile. Although I'm not sure if we'll survive long enough for the HEC final in dublin 2013 Sad.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

Notch - oh feck. What about just being a zombie yourself then? Do they go for each other?

Rodders - they do have an arctic rugby competition! Very Happy It's currently dominated by the Finnish, Scandanavians and Norwegians as you'd expect...

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:00 pm

luckless_pedestrian wrote:If the Gulf stream changes its path for the long term then we're in for a hell of a change. Just look at our latitude. It's only the Gulf stream that's keeping our climate as mild as it is.

Yeah thats right luckless. Thats what happened in the younger drias. Ironically this followed a period off warming too and then there was a dramatic shift with europe plunged back into and ice age which lasted thousands of years.

It's not known what caused it exactly but we are due another one.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

Rodders,
You are right. That is more key than anything to us up here. The Gulf Stream is shifting direction. This has catastrophic effects on the weather.

It all seems like such a delicate, finely tuned, system. But in truth, it's bloody chaos that found some temporary order. And we got used to it.

We didnt help it either.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

Cari I was thinking about this. If our european winters get progressively colder we'll have to move rugby indoors! or change to ice hockey! And this could be in the next few years!!
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by PenfroPete Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:02 pm

REGS – had a thank you letter this morning. This goes out to the Regs who were at the HEC Final meet in Cardiff

“Dear Peter

606 REGULARS – donation

On behalf of the organising committe, I would like to thank you for your kind donation to HANDSTAND – The appeal for Marshall Janson. We would like to thank you, everyone who helped raise the monery and especially everyone who contributed
Remarkably, despite everything he has been through, Marshall is a very happy little boy, but he has a long, hard road ahead of him and donations such as yours are vital to secure the best quality of life for him. We are very grateful to you
Please find enclosed a certificate of appreciation which you might like to display

With very many thanks and kind regards

Yours sincerely

Gerry Reilly (Co-ordinator)”

For those regs that I’ve got mobile numbers for I’ve sent you a photo of the certificate. I will also be posting it up in the Face Ache pub. Once again many thanks for generosity Hug

http://www.handstand.org.uk/
PenfroPete
PenfroPete

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:05 pm

Penfro - that's brilliant. I saw the photo on my phone, thanks for sending. Well done regs clap

Rodders - no, we'll just take over in the arctic rugby - look it up on You Tube Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

I thought the arctic regularly melted anyway, but as water takes up less volume than ice (put a plastic bottle full of water in the freezer and see for yourself) that wasn't a problem. The problem was if the antarctic melted, which is a land mass covered in ice (which is why it's classed as a continent and the arctic isn't) and not just blocks of ice in the sea. If that melts, the water would run in the sea and cause the sea-level to rise.

Last edited by robbo277 on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:07 pm

To be prepared for a zombie invasion you need a shotgun. End of. For helpful tips on how to deal with a zombie invasion you should watch " The Walking dead" it's a good show. OK

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:08 pm

Who cares about the weather after Pete just posted that. Group The Dew Drop Inn Virtual Rugby Pub 769663 regs.

Last edited by Gibson on Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:09 pm

Cari wrote:Good! I prefer the winter. "Brings us closer together" so said the Manics.

They're saying the North Pole is melting and we'll all drown before the world freezes anyway, so I'm not sure whether to get a wetsuit or a few more woolly jumpers Rolling Eyes

Someone please correct me if I'm wrote. The Arctic Cap is ice. It floats because it is less dense than water. The amount of water it displaces is equal to the mass of the ice itself. If the ice all melted its volume would be equal to the volume of the water it had displaced therefore no change in water level.

The problem area is the antarctic which is ice on a landmass and therefore any melted ice (or large amounts of ice falling into the sea) would cause sea level changes.

Regarding zombies, if you change the 'bait' every few days what do you do with the zombies already in the garage? Or do you use a different garage?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:12 pm

My plan for a zombie attack is quite simple.

Thriller dance them all off of a cliff.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:13 pm

Mickado wrote:My plan for a zombie attack is quite simple.

Thriller dance them all off of a cliff.

The Pied Piper of Neverland?

Cracking pre season friendly just announced - Worcester vs Melbourne Rebels

Adam D
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

The problem with the arctic melting is it will change the gulf stream, not that waters will rise. And the lack of it's reflective abilities will increase the rate by which the average planetary temperature will rise.

With a rising average temperature the problem is not only the antarctic it is also the rather large iceshelf on Greenland, which will raise sea levels even further.

As for Zombies. Worship them. It worked for Jesus.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:15 pm

Thunor and Robbo, pure logic. Ale Ale

As for the Zombies, just stick em with the others on the Jeremy Kyle Show?
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:17 pm

Thats the problem greybeard and the evidence from the past 3 years is that this is starting to happen.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Mickado Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:18 pm

Well if the ice is less dense than the water then it weighs less than the water it displaces, so in the case of the arctic ice pack melting it would actually reduce the water level (given that the amount of ice above sea level would be negligible). The problem is, as greybeard points out, that it will screw up the ocean currents which will change the climate for us.

Mickado

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

Cracking thunder storm outside now.

And it's the Antartic and Greenland icecaps that could impact sea levels.

NZ rules Antartic rugby, unbeaten for 40-odd years and counting in the Scott Base vs McMurdo Station annual match. The Yanks haven't scored a try in a while ...
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:21 pm

greybeard, roddersm and Mickado

Cool, (well it isn't), I didn't know that. I remember the point about rising sea levels from a geography class years back (haven't done geography for about 8 years now), but it was limited to the rising sea levels point, and that the arctic melting wouldn't do anything to sea levels. Sounds like it would still be pretty bad though!

robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:22 pm

Oh, and with the melting of the polar caps comes the potential for oil exploitation. So the companies that are currently choking the planet and refusing to admit they're responsible for global warming, or that it actually exists, are actually counting on global warming being true so they can get in there as quick as possible and start drilling.

Don't get me started.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete C (Kiwireddevil) Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:23 pm

Full time, Brumbies 32-Rebels 17
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)
Pete C (Kiwireddevil)

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:24 pm

I don't know all the science, but ice melting in the coldest places on earth is often used to illustrate climate change.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:25 pm

Is there a big storm in London Kiwi? It's really sunny here! 8)

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by red_stag Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

I see Brian Lenihan has died at the age of 52. Thats very sad.
red_stag
red_stag

http://www.redstagrugby.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mick(TEFC) Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:30 pm

My favourite Zombie was Rod Argent:doh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdghL1NGk0g&feature=related
Mick(TEFC)
Mick(TEFC)

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:31 pm

http://www.ehow.com/about_5365744_ice-caps-melting.html

Yeah like kiwi said its the antarctic and greenland ice sheet that will cause the sea levels to rise.

However isn't there some issue with the saline water sitting at the top causing the warmer salt water to sink. This weakens the gulf stream.

This is similar to what a lot of scientists believe caused the dyras except it was a massive flood and not melting ice caps.

Does this make sense or am I talking nonsence?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Gibson Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

greybeard wrote:Oh, and with the melting of the polar caps comes the potential for oil exploitation. So the companies that are currently choking the planet and refusing to admit they're responsible for global warming, or that it actually exists, are actually counting on global warming being true so they can get in there as quick as possible and start drilling.

Don't get me started.

Yup Grey. I dont want to get started either. No one wants that. Although it may help scare or bore the the Zombies to death...

Its a oppuurtuunity to make money. Same things happen when there are terrorist-attacks. The boys in the "City" are rubbing their hands with glee. "Have you seen the price of Gold , Tristram? Oil is shooting up as well. Huurrraaah to Al Queda, I say!"

Kill em all. Let their God sort them out.
Gibson
Gibson

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 10 Jun 2011, 12:32 pm

red_stag wrote:I see Brian Lenihan has died at the age of 52. Thats very sad.

I had no idea he was poorly. That's a shame.

Oh look out! Gobbo's off on his soapbox! Wink Shut up and drink that :guiness:

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 20 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 20  Next