The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -

+6
SecretFly
profitius
The Great Aukster
Collapse2005
No 7&1/2
Pot Hale
10 posters

Go down

IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -  Empty IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -

Post by Pot Hale Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:29 pm

In May 2017, the IRFU launched its IQ rugby programme aimed to further develop the Exiles programme in the UK to track, develop and promote Irish-qualified players playing at various levels.   They also have a remit to track coaching development too with Nucifora and his team looking to bring through more Irish experience at the top club level and on into text level.

Joe Schmidt said he'd be making up his mind about his future this Christmas - no one knows what he will decide to do.  In the meantime, the IRFU have been making plans to bring through a new crop of Irish coaches who would be ready to step up to the provincial and national set up at the right time.

On the domestic front, the provinces have the likes of Leo Cullen, John Fogarty, Felix Jones, Jerry Flannery, Nigel Carolan, (and Jared Payne at Ulster but NZ)

The current list abroad looks like this:

Geordan Murphy (Leicester acting head coach)
Girvan Dempsey (Bath attack coach)
David Humphreys (Gloucester director of rugby)
Mark McCall (Saracens director of rugby)
Conor McPhillips (Bristol asst coach)
John Muldoon (Bristol defence coach)
Neil Doak (Worcester Warriors attack coach)
Ian Costello (Wasps asst coach)
Allen Clarke (Ospreys head coach)
Bernard Jackman (Dragons head coach)
Conor O’Shea (Italy head coach)
Stephen Aboud (Italy player and coach development)
Paul O’Connell, (Stade Francais forwards coach)
Mike Prendergast (Stade Francais backs, attack coach)
James Coughlan (Pau director of academy)
Noel McNamara (North Harbour, three-month placement)
Ronan O’Gara (Crusaders backs coach)
Eoin Toolan (Melbourne Rising head coach)
Michael Bradley (Zebre head coach)
Jeremy Davidson (Brive forwards coach)
Declan Kidney (London Irish director of rugby)

What's people thoughts on who might break through or move into one of the top jobs by RWC 2023?

Last edited by Pot Hale on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -  Empty Re: IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:06 pm

Mccall is the obvious one who is ready for an international post.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -  Empty Re: IQ Rugby tracks coaches as well as players -

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Not that many head coaches in that list but its great to see the IRFU putting in place the right schemes and facilitating home grown coaches.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:17 pm

That Declan Kidney looks like he could have a future?

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:25 pm

I think director of rugby is probably a good position for him as coaching standards may have evolved beyond his strengths.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:16 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Bradley come in as attack coach. Zebre have improved massively under him and they play good rugby. So although he left with a damaged reputation, his Zebre are proof that he has plenty to offer and is more experienced now.

McCall would be the stand out on that list. Saracens have been very consistent for years now and you can see he is a very smart coach. All his signings are also the right fit so he seems to have a holistic approach to it.

Conor O'Shea doesn't want an Ireland position from what I heard or read somewhere.

O'Gara is taking an interesting career path. There's nowhere better to learn your trade than the crusaders! He'll definitely have his eyes opened down there.

Some of the younger coaches have to prove themselves first. Felix Jones for example has struggled to get Munsters backline firing.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:07 am

I cant imagine Conor O'Shea coaching in Ireland myself. I don't think he is Ireland head coach material. Maybe some sort of administrative role in the IRFU but that's about it.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:58 pm

So when Schmidt does a runner, are we expecting one of the names on that long list of Irish coaches to grow a pair of balls and put their hand up to lead the nation? Will the IRFU select anyone on that list?

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:06 pm

A few unions would appoint mccall in a heartbeat.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Well there you go. Does mccall and IRFU have the balls? Time will tell.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 pm

Not much use having a healthy set of balls if you don't get to choose.  "I demand you choose me" don't work, ebop.

If it did, I'd have had the job years ago and I wouldn't have resigned either.  I'd still be there coz the money is decent.

Anyway, McCall...as head coach?

Well maybe, but why not Cullen?  He looks like he coaches a fine brand of rugby (surprisingly so for a dour forward) he has his medals as player and coach.  Last two Ireland head coaches have already swung out of the Leinster stable (Cheika and Schmidt) so..............................

The younger (or is it only less celebrated at this point) coach that I'd be keeping an eye on is Dempsey at Bath.

POC will eventually take himself back to Munster when he amasses enough experience.  O'Gara is as unpredictable as a highly strung thoroughbred.  Even he doesn't have a clue where his career arc is going.  In truth I don't think he lives and breathes the dream of returning to Ireland either for a Province or the Nation.  It might happen, some will say the probability is strong that it will happen ..  but right now, I don't think he's planning futures just living his present.  Who knows, he might become the ABs first non-Kiwi Head Coach!??  Yahoo  

Sorry for the insult there, ebop, I know that'll make you choke on your cornflakes.  Hmm, am I even wrong on that score?  Has there ever been a non-Kiwi AB coach?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 pm

ebop wrote:Well there you go. Does mccall and IRFU have the balls? Time will tell.

Balls, balls, balls. You're obsessed with the ovals, ebop.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm

Why wouldn't they have the guts? Depends if he applies for a start. And who he's against. Personally he's one of 2 possibly now 3 coaches who'd be on a rfu shortlist.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:20 pm

Nice work SF. So we have a triumvirate of MCall, Cullen and O’Gara. Lock it in. What can go wrong? Ireland need to put in some effort and get their leaders leading. Got some good players and a good system (with tax breaks), time to go all in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:46 pm

SecretFly wrote:
ebop wrote:Well there you go. Does mccall and IRFU have the balls? Time will tell.

Balls, balls, balls.  You're obsessed with the ovals, ebop.
Well, if the IRFU squeezes McCall’s balls a little bit, how does he react? This is the question that needs answering right?

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:51 pm

The Department of Ball Squeezing is much too busy these days, ebop. They have three dedicated ball squeezers already on 24 hour duty with Joe. I think he's making long term decisions this Christmas.... the ball squeezers are on big bonuses to make sure he makes the right one Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:11 pm

McCall must be on good money already and if he became available would Ireland pay the money that French clubs would offer him, i'm not sure.

Would we be upset with Lancaster and Farrel

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Brendan wrote:McCall must be on good money already and if he became available would Ireland pay the money that French clubs would offer him, i'm not sure.

Can Ireland pay the big money that has obviously been put Joe Schmidt's way in private over the years?  Sometimes coaches have ambitions that offset the need to chase the highest bid.  Not snapping at you (as it might appear Wink ) just outlining that point that virtually every player and coach in Ireland right now could be easily bought out of their contract by clubs in England or France.  
Ireland is a pretty high quality rugby environment right now though.... I think both playing in the Provinces and coaching them is now a privilege for those coaches lucky enough to get the calls.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:00 am

SecretFly wrote:
Brendan wrote:McCall must be on good money already and if he became available would Ireland pay the money that French clubs would offer him, i'm not sure.

Can Ireland pay the big money that has obviously been put Joe Schmidt's way in private over the years?  Sometimes coaches have ambitions that offset the need to chase the highest bid.  Not snapping at you (as it might appear Wink ) just outlining that point that virtually every player and coach in Ireland right now could be easily bought out of their contract by clubs in England or France.  
Ireland is a pretty high quality rugby environment right now though.... I think both playing in the Provinces and coaching them is now a privilege for those coaches lucky enough to get the calls.

McCall though seems to be a club man. I wonder if he looked at Guy Noves and has decided it might not go well at international level. Guy was given the top job a bit late in his career that might not have helped

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 am

Bernard Jackman for Ireland coach please Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:17 am

I don't think I'd have McCall top of my list after Joe (if he sought the job, that is). I seriously think we should just promote from inside the structure now and there are some serious coaches in there amongst the coaches operating in Provinces.
If McCall wanted a shot, I think he should make the sacrifice (financial) and come home to a Province But he has a problem there with most of them humming along at present reasonably nicely - well Ulster has a new one who needs time to bed in.

Connacht???? - to prove he can handle a less expensive bunch of hombres?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:36 am

I’m not sure McCall would take a step down. It’ll be another Kiwi. Lancaster maybe? Cullen is ok with the massive IRFU investment bias at Leinster but I don’t think either him or the union are ready. Another Kiwi will be on the way.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:02 am

Yep, I agree Cyril. Big step down for McCall....he'd probably take us from 2nd to 8th pretty quickly if he took over.... picked up too many limiting English habits Wink

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:22 am

Cyril wrote:I’m not sure McCall would take a step down. It’ll be another Kiwi. Lancaster maybe? Cullen is ok with the massive IRFU investment bias at Leinster but I don’t think either him or the union are ready. Another Kiwi will be on the way.

Kiwis are green.

It’s 50/50 on Schmidt going/staying after RWC 19. If he leaves, the IRFU via Nucifora have consistently said they will select from the current coaching group in Ireland. With Kiss (who went for it last time) out of the picture, that leaves Farrell as the key guy of the test group. ROG, Dempsey and Jones have been involved in last couple of tours IIRC, but limited experience. Feek is already half-way to Japan - and doing a good bit of a reconnoitre for later on in 2019. I can’t see Farrell & Lancaster re-grouping to coach Ireland. Leo is possibly more suited to moving into an administration role, rather than coaching. Nucifora and Eddy are possibilities, but outside chances I would think.

If they go with continuity, all roads lead to Farrell if he’s up for it. Or possibly Lancaster if he doesn’t have to do the system politics and media stuff. But I think he’d prefer a return to the UK.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 am

In the long run it’s o’gara. He is taking the long road and learning his trade. In addition he is from Cork which means he is a winner and also he has a natural superiority over everyone else. In the modern era outside of uncle joe it’s been all corkmen who have pushed Ireland onto the next level as players or coaches. Kiernan, Lenihan,Bradley, Kidney etc

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by St John The Enforcer Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:37 am

Did you hear about the Corkman with the inferiority complex?

He thought he was the same as everyone else.....

St John The Enforcer

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:35 am

St John The Enforcer wrote:Did you hear about the Corkman with the inferiority complex?

He thought he was the same as everyone else.....

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down