The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September

+18
Pot Hale
TJ
Eejit
tigertattie
EWT Spoons
demosthenes
Hazel Sapling
Galted
RDW
George Carlin
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Anglobraveheart
SecretFly
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
EST
Tramptastic
BigGee
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September Empty Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:53 am

Two matches to play in South Africa

15 September

Toyota Cheetahs v Glasgow Warriors
Toyota Stadium
Bloemfontein
ko 19.30
22 September
Southern Kings v Glasgow Warriors
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium
Port Elizabeth
ko 15.00

Unlike last year, this seems a pretty good time for Glasgow to head down south and they may benefit from having a whole two weeks away together to train and bound a bit more. They are in good form, having won their first two games against decent sides and from the pictured we have seen of the squad on social media, look like they have taken a near full strength squad down there. 29 players have gone and we should expect to see a bit of gentle rotation between the games to get a few more players up to match speed. Huw Jones was spotted in the pictures and as it is assumed that he has not been taken along to show the squad the best pubs in Cape Town, we will hopefully see him making his debut for the season. Glasgow have the potential to chalk up another two wins here and to continue their good start.

The two SA sides have not hit the ground running this year and neither have won a game yet. The Cheetahs in particular, having made the play offs last season and consequently had their roster raided by the wealthier sides, look to have slipped back. Having said that, both teams will be a different proposition at home and the Chetahs in particular at the Altitude of Bloemfontein, where their familiarity with the conditions is an undoubted advantage. Not many teams won their last year, but Glasgow were one of the, a little bit fortunately it has to be said.

I am still expecting two tough games but I am glad we are playing them at this stage of the season, as both SA sides are likely to improve and will cause problems to any weakened side going down there. These should be two decent games.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September

Post by Tramptastic Wed 12 Sep 2018, 9:04 am

Would be good to see Huw Jones come back in to the side and partner Dunbar in the centres

Hopefully we'll see Rennie play Horne at 10 for one game and Hastings for the other, just so the 10 options are getting time afore the euros kick off

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September Empty Re: Glasgow Warriors tour to South Africa 15 and 22 September

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Sep 2018, 9:25 am

Tramptastic wrote:Would be good to see Huw Jones come back in to the side and partner Dunbar in the centres

Hopefully we'll see Rennie play Horne at 10 for one game and Hastings for the other, just so the 10 options are getting time afore the euros kick off

DR said that Horne would get a FH start on the tour and I imagine we might see Jones benching for the first game and then starting the second one. We never really saw his true form in a Glasgow shirt last season. I hope we do this time around.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 12 Sep 2018, 10:18 am

I think this will be the first real test to see if DR has changed his approach from last year. He flogged his first team too often last season, I hope we will see some substantial rotation in these two fixtures to acknowledge that.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Sep 2018, 1:31 pm

I don't think we will see wholesale rotation on this trip. He has only taken 29 players and none of them seem to be bolters or squad players, it is the usual suspects. Probably the chance to have the whole of the match squad with internationals together for two weeks was to good a chance to miss.

I think most of them will see some game time though and we may see some other players come into the mix for the next two home games against Drags and Zebre and by then the starting squad for the euros will be a lot more obvious.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 13 Sep 2018, 10:35 pm

I'm focusing on Adam Ashe at the moment in Glasgow colours. He was impressive against Munster, and I'd forgotten what a classy player he is. That Scotland 8 jersey is really up for grabs, and it won't be won by Luke Hamilton, who appears to have worse hands than Dozer.

I'd also like to see Ali Price get a start. Horne the Younger is a real talent, but I do sympathise with Price, whose dreadful game against Wales seems to have erased the memory of so much excellent stuff in the last AIs.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 14 Sep 2018, 10:55 am

I'm actually really looking forward to these two games. Firstly because the Cheetahs and Kings are so poor that the Luvvies could play both at the same time and probably pick up another LBP. Secondly, I think that the first 40 against Munster was actually DR's vision of how Glasgow should play enacted properly. The 25 phases climaxing Shocked in Cully's try gets better every time I see it. So, ten points in the bag for the Once And Future Champions. Hopefully. Well maybe.

Also, there is someone on the Warriors Forum who reminds me of the poet philosopher we have lost from these pages....

in a thread discussing the SFA's decision to stay at Hampden he opined, "Let them stew in their own Poopie!"

Poetry indeed. Laugh But he is missed.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri 14 Sep 2018, 1:11 pm

Just looking at that heading concerning the little old one time sneered-at-relentlessly 'Celtic' League..... how our world has changed. Now it appears to be the most dynamic and exciting League in Europe.

It smells fresh, it has a global feel, it has full blown heavy hitting International standard games (at times Whistle )...and our players in the Competition are now getting seasonally acclimatised to these mini SH tours to a country that has always been a tough place to go and play.

The 'Celtic' League has come a long way and whatever the other two Leagues say in public...they must be jealous of the exposure our players get now to regular SH competition and as I said, how quickly our competition looks the most modern and freshest of the three competitors in Europe.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Sep 2018, 3:26 pm

Ali Price starts for Glasgow Warriors as they name another settled side to face the Toyota Cheetahs.

Live on FreeSports, the Warriors will be looking to replicate their Bloemfontein performance from last season, taking all five points from their Conference A rivals in a thrilling 29-26 victory.

Scrum-half Price starts for the first time this season, as do Alex Dunbar and Ruaridh Jackson. All three are brought into the starting XV.

Adam Hastings starts at fly-half following his Man of the Match performance against Munster at Scotsotun last Friday.

Pete Horne is Dunbar’s partner in midfield and DTH van der Merwe and Tommy Seymour complete the back-three.

There is just one change to the pack that played so well against Munster, Scott Cummings starting in the engine room with Rob Harley moving to the blindside flank.

Oli Kebble starts in the country of his birth, with Fraser Brown and Zander Fagerson joining him in the front-row.

Jonny Gray is Cummings’ partner in the second-row while Callum Gibbins and Adam Ashe complete the pack.

On the bench, Huw Jones is fit to play and named in a Glasgow 23 for the first time since April.

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Dave Rennie said: "We've trained well and adjusted to the altitude this week.

"What we know is the Cheetahs are a different proposition at home as everyone in the Guinness PRO14 found out last season.

"Franco Smith is an experienced and innovative coach and we're looking forward to testing ourselves against his side tomorrow."

Glasgow Warriors team to play Toyota Cheetahs in the Guinness PRO14 at Toyota Stadium, Saturday 15 September, kick off 6.30pm (UK Time) - live on FreeSports. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

1. Oli Kebble (11)
2. Fraser Brown (77)
3. Zander Fagerson (71)
4. Scott Cummings (40)
5. Jonny Gray (88)
6. Rob Harley (186)
7. Callum Gibbins (17) CAPTAIN
8. Adam Ashe (54)

9. Ali Price (58)
10. Adam Hastings (11)
11. DTH van der Merwe (103)
12. Pete Horne (140)
13. Alex Dunbar (113)
14. Tommy Seymour (117)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (136)

Replacements

16. George Turner (21)
17. Alex Allan (75)
18. D’Arcy Rae (41)
19. Matt Fagerson (27)
20. Chris Fusaro (143)
21. George Horne (22)
22. Nick Frisby (1)
23. Huw Jones (7)

Touring players unavailable: Nick Grigg (illness), Stuart Hogg (ankle) and Ryan Wilson (knee).

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 14 Sep 2018, 3:28 pm

Strong side for tomorrow.

1. Oli Kebble (11)
2. Fraser Brown (77)
3. Zander Fagerson (71)
4. Scott Cummings (40)
5. Jonny Gray (88)
6. Rob Harley (186)
7. Callum Gibbins (17) CAPTAIN
8. Adam Ashe (54)

9. Ali Price (58)
10. Adam Hastings (11)
11. DTH van der Merwe (103)
12. Pete Horne (140)
13. Alex Dunbar (113)
14. Tommy Seymour (117)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (136)

Replacements

16. George Turner (21)
17. Alex Allan (75)
18. D’Arcy Rae (41)
19. Matt Fagerson (27)
20. Chris Fusaro (143)
21. George Horne (22)
22. Nick Frisby (1)
23. Huw Jones (7)

I apologise for the lack of pseudonyms but CBA.

Frisbee to come on at 10?

Huw Jones to score a hat-trick in the last quarter?

Horne The Younger running at tired defenders?

These questions, and others like them, make me wonder how the Luvvies fans fill their idle moments waiting for matchday...

"Will we manage another LBP (Luvvies Beaten Point)? Probably. How long till kick off?" That must get old pretty quickly.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Sep 2018, 3:32 pm

As we suspected by the players he took with him. DR not holding back on the Glasgow selection.

Wilson and Hoggy injured (but hopefully nothing serious) and so Jacko gets his first start and we finally see the lesser spotted Huw Jones warming the pine!

Two SHs also on the bench, Horne G and Frisbee, who I imagine will also be covering the rest of the backline, which he has experience in doing. George has played FH before as well and with his sevens legs could no doubt do a turn on the wing should he need to.

Two back rows as well, which means Bob Harley, the man who never runs out of puff, will be heading into the row at some stage in the game as well.

An interesting bench and one that he will no doubt have to use playing at that altitude.

Still a strong team and we will be looking for points!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 14 Sep 2018, 4:38 pm

Just listened to the Dave Rennie team interview that gets emailed out to Warrior Nation members.

None of the injuries or illnesses to Hogg, Wilson and Grigg are serious and all could feature next weekend. He is using it as a rotation opportunity as much as anything else.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:42 pm

Glasgow started like a train and score a brilliant try by Hastings.

Then Cheetahs score one from a turnover.

5-7 Glasgow. We probably don't need to get into a game of chuck about here, we seem to have a much better shape than them.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:43 pm

Then Cheetahs go coast to coast again. This could be some game!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:53 pm

Some awful officiating in this game!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 15 Sep 2018, 6:57 pm

I'll tell you what. This has put me off buying the £10 a month package. Commentator has been calling ginger Boab "adam Ashe" all night Nd now he's called Adam Ashe "Ritchie Gray"

Have a word
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:02 pm

When do we think that Adam Hastings will get the other half of his haircut?
He looks like the lovechild of Dwayne Dibley and Forrest Gump.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:04 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:When do we think that Adam Hastings will get the other half of his haircut?
He looks like the lovechild of Dwayne Dibley and Forrest Gump.

Far too much product for my liking. Hastings and Price alone should mean Glasgow are now the exfoliating pretty boys of Scottish rugby
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

I think we need to control the game. It's too frantic.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:06 pm

This is some crazy game, cheetahs can score from anywhere, out Glasgowing Glasgow.

Need to slow it down and look after the ball and we will win!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:10 pm

Fraser Brown has been excellent at the breakdown, very clinical.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat 15 Sep 2018, 7:46 pm

Look out. Front rower on the hoof!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:03 pm

Alex Allen is very good in the loose.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:07 pm

Fantastic play by Turner. Excellent skills to pick up and offload.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:28 pm

Impressive result, well done lads clap

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:31 pm

Cheetahs 24-52 Glasgow

boxing
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sat 15 Sep 2018, 8:59 pm

I had to go to work, clearly a much better second half, which I will watch tomorrow.

Very good win, only spoilt by an injury to Zander Fagerson which by all accounts looked nasty. A pity as he has looked very good at the start of this season.

We will probably have to get another TH out for next weeks game now. I imagine that Adam Nicol will be looking for his passport.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 16 Sep 2018, 9:15 am

Great win for Glasgow. Loved seeing Seymour full of confidence again and big Bob Harley was my motm. Peter Horne was pretty guff.

Shame to see Fagerson go off - he's had a great start to the season.

Worth saying that the cheetah's were pretty awful at times - they've apparently had some of their key players taken off them and it's a worry for the league if they aren't going to be competitive. I'm sure they'll pick off a few teams at home though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:00 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Worth saying that the cheetah's were pretty awful at times - they've apparently had some of their key players taken off them and it's a worry for the league if they aren't going to be competitive. I'm sure they'll pick off a few teams at home though.

They had to provide a Currie Cup team on the same day and astonishingly managed to lose that by the same score, 52-24.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Sun 16 Sep 2018, 10:58 am

Get good odds on those results.

The defense looked poor in the first half. The yellow to start the second saved Glasgow and allowed them to get a morale-crushing lead. The first up tackling was poor at times early on. The covering for two of the Cheetahs tries at least was lacking. Having Hogg would have helped as the back 3 for the Cheetahs had serious pace. Dunbar's yellow was silly and unnecessary on Dunbar's part. Cheetahs player was similarly stupid. Ref was consistent in that aspect. Not many turnovers from memory so wonder if that is a change of strategy or is it the ref?  

Line-out started out problematic for our own calls, good against the Cheetahs throw-ins. The scrum looked good and it looked worse when Kebble came off. Once Brown and Fagerson were off, I thought we were under the cosh a bit. Allan - Turner - Rae is okay against most, but don't think they will hold up well in the final 10 minutes against the better scrums of Europe.

The attacking game plan is much more patient. I don't know if Price has slowed down or whether Horne's all action style makes him look slow. He played quite well (is he meant to sweep behind the tackler to cover short grubbers and chips?). Thought the back three did well and the distribution from 10-12 was good. Allan's dummy is the highlight of the game. If he could scrum as well (even to Reid's level), he would have a good shout for the WC squad. Good 3rd prop for Glasgow.

Zander's injury was innocuous. Getting your ankle hit by the leg of the covering tackler going for the player in front of you is unlucky. Hopefully it is a bone bruise that will disappear in a couple of weeks. He has looked excellent in the scrum so far this season. Rae did okay, but our reserve front row were arguably losing against a Cheetahs scrum that was being sent backward by the starters.

Last edited by Hazel Sapling on Sun 16 Sep 2018, 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarify the ref handled both yellows accurately)

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 16 Sep 2018, 12:10 pm

Thanks Hazel - good summary.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Sun 16 Sep 2018, 6:14 pm

I still think a 50 point win out there at the altitude is not to be sniffed at. The Cheetahs don't look the same team as they were last year but will still win plenty games at home, the advantage of altitude being what it is.

Far from perfect but three from three and two bonus points is a decent start to the season by any standards. There is also a subtle difference to the way we are playing, which may also be significant as the season goes on.

Losing Zander for the euro games would be a blow though, hopefully not as bad as it looked.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 17 Sep 2018, 9:55 am

The word is that Zander will has not broken his leg Very Happy but will be out until December. Crying or Very sad

I think he'll still be match fit before Halanukonuka. ( I read somewhere that the new number 8 we've signed from Trumpland has a history of finding slimming down to his match weight "challenging" so Glasgow have him flat sharing with the Nuke Headscratch ).

My in depth analysis of the weekend…. The Craggy Islanders' defence at the Library makes our BP win there look better value than ever. he Luvvies complete lack of creativity behind the scrum must be causing Cockers to pull his hair out.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Mon 17 Sep 2018, 1:01 pm

Does that mean we are down to just Rae and Nicol until December?

Apparently Euan McClaren is listed as being in the Glasgow academy as a 20 year old tighthead or we ask K Bryce to play there again if there are no signings.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 17 Sep 2018, 2:33 pm

I think so, Siua is out so that leaves Nicol and McClaren. I hope Rennie gives Nicol some game time - from what I have seen he seems capable of playing at this level, he ins't all that much younger than Zander either.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 17 Sep 2018, 4:40 pm

Also Kebble can play both sides, as they say. Shocked

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon 17 Sep 2018, 4:42 pm

Nichol and Nairn flying out as replacements for Fagerson and Hogg respectively.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 17 Sep 2018, 5:17 pm

Yes that would make sense, hopefully they will both see a bit of game time as well, though that is probably less certain for Nairn than for Nicol who will surely be on the bench. Mind you this will be game 4 for Tommy if he plays again and so he is due to be rotated out at some stage soon.

Hoggy is apparently on a plane home as we speak and Zander has had his surgery out there and will fly home with the squad next weekend. Still not sure what exactly his injury was, but whatever it is, he is clearly going to be out for a while.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Sep 2018, 2:35 pm

Time for a bit of a punt at the team I guess. I think we will see a bit of rotation for this game and most if not all of the squad that have travelled will get some game time.

Allen (who has played well this season and seems to be ahead of Bhatti currently)
Turner
Rae
Cummings
Gray
Harley
Fagerson M
Wilson
Price
Horne
Nairn
Dunbar
Jones
DTH
Jacko

Subs
Bhatti
Byrce
Nicol
Peterson
Fusaro
Frisbee
Hastings
Horne G

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:31 pm

I'd be very happy with that team BigGee, although I would personally keep playing Hastings - he needs minutes under his belt at this stage in his career, and we all know what Horne will bring to the table.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:36 pm

EST wrote:I'd be very happy with that team BigGee, although I would personally keep playing Hastings - he needs minutes under his belt at this stage in his career, and we all know what Horne will bring to the table.

I would as well, but am pretty sure DR said he would run Horne at FH in one of these games. I would imagine that AH now comes into the Scotland Squad category and is therefore going to have to have a compulsory rest at some stage soon.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:48 pm

Can't see much rotation. I would like to see Peterson into the second row. On paper, I see no reason for Gray to start this match yet Rennie will wear out Jonny for no reason. Harley could enter the second row, to allow M Fagerson to 6 and put Fusaro at 7 if Rennie refuses to player Peterson. Wilson can captain. Brown will likely sub.

The backs, I would start Hastings and bench Horne. Hastings gets another game to bed in his kicking in a relatively low pressure situation (hopefully). Otherwise, the options are not great. Matawalu would have been great to have in South Africa.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:52 pm

BigGee wrote:
EST wrote:I'd be very happy with that team BigGee, although I would personally keep playing Hastings - he needs minutes under his belt at this stage in his career, and we all know what Horne will bring to the table.

I would as well, but am pretty sure DR said he would run Horne at FH in one of these games. I would imagine that AH now comes into the Scotland Squad category and is therefore going to have to have a compulsory rest at some stage soon.

oh yeah, I had forgotten about that. I wonder if the 4 game rule comes into effect for people like G. Horne and Hasting? They must have started <20 games each at pro level, surely the best thing for their development is more game time?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:57 pm

EST wrote:
BigGee wrote:

oh yeah, I had forgotten about that.  I wonder if the 4 game rule comes into effect for people like G. Horne and Hasting?  They must have started <20 games each at pro level, surely the best thing for their development is more game time?

You are right in that both will no doubt be full of beans and raring to go on Saturday, but I think this year will be different for both of them and they are likely to be playing a full season this time around. Thinking about how badly we dropped off last year, taking some rest early on is maybe no bad idea. In truth we should be able to win on Saturday whatever team we put out. Some gentle rotation will not be an acceptable excuse if we do not.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 20 Sep 2018, 5:35 pm

I thought it was a 5 game rule? Has been in the past certainly (unless you were WP Nel playing for Solomons).

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 20 Sep 2018, 6:21 pm

I am not sure it is a tablet of stone rule. Some flexibility is allowed as long as there are reasonable rest periods.

Both coaches hsve been talking about the need to rest internationals though, so it is something that is very much on their radar and better they choose appropriate games in which to do it.

It is better they do it on a rolling basis though, rather than on mass a la Ospreys!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:24 pm

Having made his return from injury off the bench against the Toyota Cheetahs last weekend, Huw Jones starts for Glasgow Warriors against the Southern Kings in Port Elizabeth this Saturday.

Jones is one of nine changes to the starting XV that won 52-24 in Bloemfontein and he is joined in midfield by Nick Grigg who has recovered from illness to start.

It is an unchanged back-three, with DTH van der Merwe and Tommy Seymour, who both scored against the Cheetahs, starting either side of Ruairdh Jackson.

Pete Horne moves inside to fly-half and is partnered by Nick Frisby who makes his first competitive start for the club.

It is a brand new front-row as Jamie Bhatti and D'Arcy Rae pack down either side of George Turner.

Greg Peterson comes into the second-row to partner Scott Cummings while behind them Ryan Wilson captains the side wearing number 6. Chris Fusaro and Adam Ashe are his loose forward partners.

On the bench Robbie Nairn is in line to make his Glasgow Warriors debut having flown to South Africa earlier this week and Kevin Bryce could feature for the first time since re-joining the club this summer.

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Dave Rennie, said: "We've made a handful of changes with Pete Horne moving to 10, Nick Grigg back from illness and it's great to give Huw Jones a start, so it's an exciting pairing.

"I thought our back-three were outstanding against The Cheetahs and we're fortunate that we've got really good depth at scrum-half and we're keen to give Nick a crack and he deserves a start.

"Robbie Nairn is a big guy and he's very quick, so I'm excited to see him make his debut tomorrow."

Glasgow Warriors team to play the Southern Kings in the Guinness PRO14 at Nelson Mandela University Stadium, Saturday 22 September, kick off 2pm (UK time) - live on Premier Sports 1 and FreeSports. You can follow the game on Twitter @GlasgowWarriors. Glasgow Warriors appearances in brackets:

1. Jamie Bhatti (28)
2. George Turner (22)
3. D'Arcy Rae (42)
4. Greg Peterson (29)
5. Scott Cummings (41)
6. Ryan Wilson (C) (142)
7. Chris Fusaro (144)
8. Adam Ashe (55)

9. Nick Frisby (2)
10. Pete Horne (141)
11. DTH van der Merwe (104)
12. Nick Grigg (44)
13. Huw Jones (8)
14. Tommy Seymour (118)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (137)

Replacements

16. Fraser Brown (78)
17. Alex Allan (76)
18. Kevin Bryce (12)
19. Rob Harley (187)
20. Callum Gibbins (18)
21. Ali Price (59)
22. Adam Hastings (12)
23. Robbie Nairn (0)

Touring players unavailable: Zander Fagerson (ankle) and Oli Kebble (head).

Well DR gives the team a good shake up and does a good impression of the Tombola.

Pete Horne at FH was predicted and I guess Frisbee deserves a start. Otherwisw a very strong back line and a chance to see Huw Jones start at long last. Robbir Nairn will get a run off the bench to show what he can do.

Kebble got a head knock last week and so sits out. Johnny Gray gets rested and otherwisw a bit of shuffling around. Peterson gets to start to add a bit of bulk t the pack.

A decent bench with the one surprise of Kevin Byrne covering TH instead of Adam Nicol, who seems to have made a long trip out for nothing. Maybe he just did not get there early enough to be fully up to speed. I suspect D'arcy Rae will be playing a long stint on Saturday.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:30 pm

All the talk of Kevin Bryce being moved back to hooker and he's immediately used as a tighthead!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:34 pm

I'm glad to see Rennie has started to appreciate the need to rotate his squad - and that's still a very decent team, although I would worry about the front row coming up against any of the big European beasts. Feel slightly sorry for Nicol, he surely is a better option than Bryce?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Fri 21 Sep 2018, 12:41 pm

Good side. Happy to see Peterson in there. Looking forward to seeing how Nairn and Bhatti get on.

Surprised that they went to Bryce on the tighthead side. Was Nicol injured over the summer or picked up a niggle recently?

Went for some serious speed in the centres.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next