The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cardiff Blues v Munster

+10
Geen sport voor watjes
LeinsterFan4life
stevetynant
profitius
Brendan
maestegmafia
Pot Hale
Artful_Dodger
RugbyFan100
Luckless Pedestrian
14 posters

Go down

Cardiff Blues v Munster Empty Cardiff Blues v Munster

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Fri 21 Sep 2018, 11:15 am

I thought I'd set up a match thread for tonight's match as it could be a belter. Those back rows!

Jarrod Evans versus Joey Carbery isn't a bad contest either.

From the PRO14 website:

Cardiff Blues are yet to get off the mark this Guinness PRO14 season after three defeats from their opening games against Leinster, Benetton and Zebre Rugby.

This weekend’s opponents have had a starkly different beginning to the season, earning a resounding victory over Ospreys in round three to record a second win of 2018/19.

But who will claim the points on Friday when Cardiff host Munster Rugby?

What’s at stake? Since beating Southern Kings last April, Cardiff Blues have fallen to four successive Guinness PRO14 defeats after achieving a fourth-place finish in Conference A last year.

Whereas Munster have the opportunity to keep up the chase with Glasgow Warriors if they are able to claim a third win of the season.

The Irishmen sit just four points behind Glasgow in Conference A.

Team news (Cardiff Blues) Ellis Jenkins will make his 100th appearance in a Blues shirt after the Wales flanker missed out on the loss to Benetton.

Jenkins is one of seven changes with three changes in the backs with Jarrod Evans starting at fly-half, Willis Halaholo at centre and Blaine Scully makes his comeback from ankle surgery.

Meanwhile Josh Turnbull, Rhys Gill and Dmitri Arhip are in the pack.

Macauley Cook is also in line to make his 150th Cardiff Blues appearance should he be called into action from the bench.

Team news (Munster) Munster Head Coach Johann van Graan makes six changes to the side that beat Ospreys last week as CJ Stander makes his first appearance of the season in a back row that also includes captain Peter O’Mahony and Chris Cloete.

JJ Hanrahan comes into the side at full-back and there is an all-changed centre partnership with Jaco Taute making his first start since returning from injury alongside Rory Scannell.

Hooker Mike Sherry and second row Jean Kleyn are the only two alterations to the pack.

Talking points: Cardiff Blues head coach John Mulvihill said: “It is an awesome achievement for both Ellis [Jenkins] and Macca [Cook] personally and we want to help them celebrate with a performance that is worthy of a win.

“They are two local boys, who have progressed right through our player pathway to become established first team members and in Ellis’ case club captain.

“It’s also good to have Blaine Scully back. He provides a real aerial threat and is another quality leader, who has a presence on the field.”

“It has been a difficult start to the season but we are determined to put in a performance that our supporters can be proud of on Friday night.

“Munster are a quality side and it will be a big challenge but we are back at Cardiff Arms Park and want to kick-off our season.

“We certainly expect a big reaction and hopefully you will see that in our physicality and intensity through the entire 80 minutes.”

Key battle: Ellis Jenkins vs Chris Cloete

Clashes between the back rows don’t come much bigger than the battle between Munster’s Peter O’Mahony, Chris Cloete and CJ Stander, and Cardiff’s Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins and Nick Williams.

Jenkins is never one to shy away from the big occasion and the 25-year-old could make the difference after missing out on the visit to Benetton last week.

While South African Cloete may have had injury problems of his own, the former Southern Kings flanker is an athlete worthy of challenging Jenkins’ dominance and returned with a man of the match display last time out.

Key fact: The Blues single point defeat at home to Leinster in round 1 ended a run of five successive victories in all competitions at the Arms Park.

Did you know? Munster’s last five games in the Championship have all been won by the home side.

Cardiff Blues: Gareth Anscombe, Blaine Scully, Willis Halaholo, Rey Lee-Lo, Jason Harries; Jarrod Evans, Tomos Williams; Rhys Gill, Kristian Dacey, Dmitri Arhip, George Earle, Josh Turnbull, Josh Navidi, Ellis Jenkins, Nick Williams.

Replacements: Kirby Myhill, Rhys Carre, Scott Andrews, Macauley Cook, Olly Robinson, Lloyd Williams, Garyn Smith, Matthew Morgan.

Munster: JJ Hanrahan; Andrew Conway, Jaco Taute, Rory Scannell, Darren Sweetnam; Joey Carbery, Duncan Williams; James Cronin, Mike Sherry, Stephen Archer; Jean Kleyn, Tadhg Beirne; Peter O’Mahony, Chris Cloete, CJ Stander.

Replacements: Diarmuid Barron, Dave Kilcoyne, Brian Scott, Darren O’Shea, Tommy O’Donnell, Jack Stafford, Bill Johnston, Shane Daly

At Cardiff Arms Park, 7.35pm.

TV: Live on Premier Sports, EIR Sports & TG4

Referee: Quinton Immelman (SARU, 12th competition game) Assistant Referees: Rhys Thomas, Gareth John (both WRU)

Citing Commissioner: Dennis Jones (WRU) TMO: Ian Davies (WRU)

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/preview/preview-cardiff-blues-v-munster-6/#EwbiOPi25IOJwQSi.99

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Cardiff Blues v Munster Empty Re: Cardiff Blues v Munster

Post by RugbyFan100 Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:28 pm

Superb win for Cardiff. Just goes to show that a bit of grunt and hwyl can really win against the big budget Irish teams at home. Just got to believe.

RugbyFan100

Back to top Go down

Post by Artful_Dodger Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:33 pm

Congrats to the Blues, strong Munster team as well. Great result.

Artful_Dodger

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:34 pm

Great win by Cardiff B side over Munster’s first teamers.  Thoroughly thrashed the Leinster Lites.

The New Zealand/Samoan backline for Cardiff were superb. Just shows what spending a bit of money on good foreign players and coaches can achieve.  

Nick Williams has a great engine - never stops going.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:39 pm

Pot Hale wrote:Great win by Cardiff B side over Munster’s first teamers.   Thoroughly thrashed the Leinster Lites.

The New Zealand/Samoan backline for Cardiff were superb. Just shows what spending a bit of money on good foreign players and coaches can achieve.  

Ok, I’ll bite! 2/7 = NZ/Samoan backline?

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:43 pm

Great result Cardiff Blues. This will turn the season around, been playing great rugby all season just not got the results

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Fri 21 Sep 2018, 9:45 pm

Good to see the Blues saw out a game

Bad by Munster against a fellow conference team. Need to get into gear before Europe

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:04 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:Great win by Cardiff B side over Munster’s first teamers.   Thoroughly thrashed the Leinster Lites.

Anscombe, Lee-lo, Halaholo were the stars of the show, no?
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:07 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Anscombe is Welsh, obvs. Leaving 2/7.

4/7 were Welsh, so it was more of a ‘Welsh back line’ surely?!

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:24 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Yes but born in NZ and developed and reared on NZ rugby so part of a strong NZ developed influence within the team. You can see it in the way they play. Superb.
I didn’t mean the whole backline was NZ but the NZ trio at 10,12,13 were superb in leading the line, attacking and creating scores. Nick Williams wasn’t too shabby either.

It’s good to see that Cardiff are getting the budget to secure these kind of quality players - makes for a great team and game.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Sat 22 Sep 2018, 2:59 am

Absolute muck from Munster. The clowns in charge haven't got a notion of how to get the team playing to an acceptable standard.

4 matches in an my expectations for this season are rock bottom. I can see it being a bit of a disaster if the players start to lose faith in the coaching team.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by stevetynant Sat 22 Sep 2018, 7:45 am

Munster were pretty dreadful to be honest considering who was on show.Cloete tried his best but OMahoney and CJ wete anonymous.Duncan Williams needs to be replaced as soon as and the centres were very one dimensional and got skinned regularly.Carbery kicked some pretty aimless posession away aswel and nearly botched their try after an admittedly excellent break. Not to take anything away from the Blues who were excellent especially defending their own line. Can only think this is early season syndrom for Munster but for all the optimism in the squad makeup the performance on the pitch needs picking up big time.

stevetynant

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Sat 22 Sep 2018, 8:12 am

profitius wrote:Absolute muck from Munster. The clowns in charge haven't got a notion of how to get the team playing to an acceptable standard.

4 matches in an my expectations for this season are rock bottom. I can see it being a bit of a disaster if the players start to lose faith in the coaching team.

Let's see where they are after the CC games. If they are still rubbish I will be worried

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Sat 22 Sep 2018, 9:57 am

maestegmafia wrote:Great result Cardiff Blues. This will turn the season around, been playing great rugby all season just not got the results
To be fair Cardiff could easily have a a 100% record now, they just lacked a bit of luck at key times, they certainly should have beaten us. Samu Manoa is still to come I to the side too!

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Geen sport voor watjes Sat 22 Sep 2018, 11:16 pm

JJ - there is a reason not many Kerry people play rugby.
Conway - best Munster player
Sweetnam. Ok
Taute - rusty
Scannell - ok
Joey- can’t kick can’t defend
Duncan meh

CJ rusty/meh
Cloete rusty
POM - bemused
Beirne - okish
Kleijn - meh
Archer - ok
Sherry meh about fourth choice
Cronin - next best with Conway

Others - only one of note was killer who was absolute pants when he came on. The sooner we get Cronin to last a full game the better.

Just watched racing 92s game this evening and we is going to miss Zebo big time this season.

Geen sport voor watjes

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:15 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:Great result Cardiff Blues. This will turn the season around, been playing great rugby all season just not got the results
To be fair Cardiff could easily have a a 100% record now, they just lacked a bit of luck at key times, they certainly should have beaten us. Samu Manoa is still to come I to the side too!

Even a player of Manu’s calibrate is going to struggle to get a regular spot in the blues squad, Williams, Nalvidi, Jenkins all in very good form.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 23 Sep 2018, 6:50 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

Even a player of Manu’s calibrate is going to struggle to get a regular spot in the blues squad, Williams, Nalvidi, Jenkins all in very good form.

He's played a fair bit in the second row hasn't he

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 23 Sep 2018, 9:15 pm

carpet baboon wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
LeinsterFan4life wrote:

He's played a fair bit in the second row hasn't he

Aye that’s a good point.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon 24 Sep 2018, 10:15 am

Cardiff folk. Is anscombe a better 10 or 15?
Personally I think he's a brilliant 15 who can do a job at 10

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by PhilBB Mon 24 Sep 2018, 1:28 pm

carpet baboon wrote:Cardiff folk. Is anscombe a better 10 or 15?

He's a superb 10 and a very good 15. 10 is his best position, however. He is a real controlling influence and a very talented player.
PhilBB
PhilBB

http://www.cardiffrfcfans.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Newsilure Mon 24 Sep 2018, 2:11 pm

PhilBB wrote:
carpet baboon wrote:Cardiff folk. Is anscombe a better 10 or 15?

He's a superb 10 and a very good 15. 10 is his best position, however. He is a real controlling influence and a very talented player.

Yes I agree, Anscombe's problem is that he is probably the Blues best 10 and 15, however having him and Jarrod on the pitch together is just that bit better than him and Nipper so he is likely to play more fullback.... which is tough on him.

Nick Williams playing most of the match was a big boost for the Blues and having Turnbull in the second row is a strong addition, I think its now where he performs best.

Good to see young Rhys Carre getting on the pitch, he looks a bit lost when he comes on sometimes but he is a potential star if he continuous to develop.

Newsilure

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 26 Sep 2018, 3:59 am

Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Yes but born in NZ and developed and reared on NZ rugby so part of a strong NZ developed influence within the team.  You can see it in the way they play.  Superb.  
I didn’t mean the whole backline was NZ but the NZ trio at 10,12,13 were superb in leading the line, attacking and creating scores.  Nick Williams wasn’t too shabby either.

It’s good to see that Cardiff are getting the budget to secure these kind of quality players - makes for a great team and game.  

Anscombe is a Wales player so surely that doesn’t count? Anyway, it is an impressive backline. I also thought I read that Jarrod Evans had been selected at 10 for this one ? Maybe I had it wrong. I think Blues perform better with Evans at 10 and Anscombe at 15.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:51 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Yes but born in NZ and developed and reared on NZ rugby so part of a strong NZ developed influence within the team.  You can see it in the way they play.  Superb.  
I didn’t mean the whole backline was NZ but the NZ trio at 10,12,13 were superb in leading the line, attacking and creating scores.  Nick Williams wasn’t too shabby either.

Anscombe is a Wales player so surely that doesn’t count? Anyway, it is an impressive backline. I also thought I read that Jarrod Evans had been selected at 10 for this one ? Maybe I had it wrong. I think Blues perform better with Evans at 10 and Anscombe at 15.

Jarrod pulled out the day of the game

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 26 Sep 2018, 9:58 am

Pot Hale wrote: It’s good to see that Cardiff are getting the budget to secure these kind of quality players - makes for a great team and game.  

Anscombe, LeeLo and Halaholo have been with Cardiff Blues for at least three years they haven’t performed this well regularly.

The solid foundations up front particularly the upper hand in the backrow over Munster definitely helped.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down