The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

+30
carpet baboon
formerly known as Sam
LondonTiger
Tattie Scones RRN
funnyExiledScot
SirBurger
Pot Hale
Brendan
NeilyBroon
TJ
Tramptastic
Mad for Chelsea
Anglobraveheart
demosthenes
IanBru
Oakdene
George Carlin
bsando
Eejit
Welly
Hazel Sapling
RugbyFan100
jimbopip
tigertattie
EST
EWT Spoons
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
BigGee
34 posters

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 6 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by BigGee Tue 23 Oct 2018, 9:05 am

First topic message reminder :

Something is going on this year

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are playing quite well!

Is it a dream, am I imagining it, am I going to wake up in a cold sweat and find out that we are really cr*p again?

Someone please reassure me!!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by RDW Mon 10 Dec 2018, 4:49 pm

Chris Dean?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter - Page 6 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh 21st Century Banter

Post by jimbopip Mon 10 Dec 2018, 4:52 pm

It's not me: I've been out all day and uncontactable.
Pippetto is off contact sports for the foreseeable. Though he could play 12 for the MFL.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Dec 2018, 5:13 pm

2 more years for Tommy Seymour

Back playing his best again this year, a very good bit of business!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Dec 2018, 5:18 pm

When I said 2 more years, I did of course mean 1.

Tommy Seymour has agreed a one-year contract extension with Glasgow Warriors, keeping him at the club until at least 2020.

The winger was top scorer on the British and Irish Lions tour to New Zealand in 2017 and has also scored 19 times for Scotland including a hat-trick against Fiji in this year’s Autumn Test window.

The news means that the 30-year-old will extend his stay at Scotstoun to nine seasons, having joined from Ulster in the summer of 2011.

He has since gone on to play 122 times for the club and is the second highest try scorer in Glasgow’s history. His 39 scores bettered only by DTH van der Merwe.

Tommy Seymour said: “It’s a decision I’m very happy with. My family is very happy in Glasgow and it’s a club I feel a massive part of. Among the coaching staff and players I’ve made some great friends here and I can’t really imagine being anywhere else.

“There are so many things Glasgow as a club has enabled me to do in my career and I can’t thank them enough. I’m really proud and happy to be able to say I’ve been a part of this club for as long as I have.”

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach Dave Rennie said: “We’re absolutely rapt that Tommy has re-committed. He’s very highly regarded and has been an important part of the fabric here for a number of years.

“His skillset makes him a crucial member of our back three. He is world class under the high ball and has electric pace. He’s a good man and we’re pleased that he sees his future in Glasgow.”

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 10 Dec 2018, 5:34 pm

BigGee wrote:Glasgow signing coming up!

It'll be Chris Dean as now he's getting quite good!

But in all seriousness, I remember lamenting the days when Chris Dean, or Christine as we used to call him, would come trotting on for Edinburgh and knock on/get turned over/run into touch.

Maybe I'm being harsh

He's deffo 100% improved and is now a solid club player. I just don't think he'd be able to step up further in an intenrational jersey. I'm just worried he'd be in the category of "good club man but not so good Scotland man" just like ye olde Nick De Luca
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 10 Dec 2018, 6:04 pm

tigertattie wrote:

But in all seriousness, I remember lamenting the days when Chris Dean, or Christine as we used to call him, would come trotting on for Edinburgh and knock on/get turned over/run into touch.

Maybe I'm being harsh

He's deffo 100% improved and is now a solid club player. I just don't think he'd be able to step up further in an intenrational jersey. I'm just worried he'd be in the category of "good club man but not so good Scotland man" just like ye olde Nick De Luca

I think we have a much higher bar now, none of those centres of that era would get near the Scotland team today, unless they upped their game considerably, which to be fair, they may have been able to do in the right environment. The whole of Scottish rugby is in such a much better place than it was then.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:04 am

BigGee wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Maybe I'm being harsh

I think we have a much higher bar now, none of those centres of that era would get near the Scotland team today, unless they upped their game considerably, which to be fair, they may have been able to do in the right environment. The whole of Scottish rugby is in such a much better place than it was then.

Exactly, which is why we shouldn't be wasting potential because we are in a much better place! With a coach like Cockers we've already made a lot more of the Edinburgh potential than had been made in the 6 years before his appointment. With a different backs coach/set of tactics around him, I think Dean could be very handy indeed! I've no doubt he's had howlers but Alec Dunbar is hardly immune to having a poor game, and has been so-so for a while now in my opinion, certainly no-where near the heights of his previous seasons.

Given we have a recurring injury problem at 12, I think it is worth at least getting these players to train with the Scotland squad, including Saint McDowall of Ayr. I would much rather that than what we had for the last game, with ADHD 1 & 2 at inside centre and fly half respectively because at the moment if Furra gets crocked, that's what we'll potentially be looking at.

It's a shame project players are so impractical now as we are a couple of positions short of an exceptional national team, especially where we've had a lot of long term injuries to our best players. Though maybe Johnson will be the solution - any news on his injury?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:38 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
BigGee wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Maybe I'm being harsh

Exactly, which is why we shouldn't be wasting potential because we are in a much better place! With a coach like Cockers we've already made a lot more of the Edinburgh potential than had been made in the 6 years before his appointment. With a different backs coach/set of tactics around him, I think Dean could be very handy indeed! I've no doubt he's had howlers but Alec Dunbar is hardly immune to having a poor game, and has been so-so for a while now in my opinion, certainly no-where near the heights of his previous seasons.

Given we have a recurring injury problem at 12, I think it is worth at least getting these players to train with the Scotland squad, including Saint McDowall of Ayr. I would much rather that than what we had for the last game, with ADHD 1 & 2 at inside centre and fly half respectively because at the moment if Furra gets crocked, that's what we'll potentially be looking at.

It's a shame project players are so impractical now as we are a couple of positions short of an exceptional national team, especially where we've had a lot of long term injuries to our best players. Though maybe Johnson will be the solution - any news on his injury?

Johnson will be back soon, maybe for the Treviso game in early Jan.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 11 Dec 2018, 9:46 am

NeilyBroon wrote:
BigGee wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Maybe I'm being harsh

Thats exactly why the rules were changed and to be honest I'm absolutely all for it. It was really getting a bit silly that unions could throw money at players to come and become eligable through residency.

I have no issues with the players themselves, they are looking out for number one which is exactly what I would do but there needs to be some pride in the jersey too. Now do not get me wrong, I'm sure WP Nel feels very proud now when he pulls on a Scotland Jersey, butsurely deep down he'd stil llove to pull on a Bokke one?

By all means,players like Denton who are here for reaosns other than rugby who then move into pro rugby and subsequently get capped, absolutely no issue at all with him deciding to play rubgy for his adopted nation. But moving to a nation because they are offering to give you pro rugby with a view to being capped is mercenary behaviour.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Dec 2018, 12:03 pm

At risk of starting off another massive debate about the merits of residential qualification, all I would say is that it is massively more complicated than that described above.

I think Nel has moved on and gave an interview recently saying that he really has few ties to SA these days, he is settled here and plans to stay. He did not even play much rugby as a kid, so it was not even his childhood dream to play for the Boks!

Your childhood dreams in any case hold no water in the cut throat world of professional sport!

Denton qualified through his mother, so was not a residence based player either.

It has changed to 5 years now and that is fine, i think most people are happy enough with that compromise.

For my money, if a player commits 5 years to a country, as Shoeman suggests he will, then he deserves the right to play, I will be more than happy with that.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Tue 11 Dec 2018, 12:58 pm

I love a massive debate.

I'd say 5 years is probably about right as lots of things can change in that time.

For me the main point is a matter of the chicken and the egg. If a player moves here and ends up playing for the country after a while then its all good. Even though Denton qualifes through his Mum, I just used him as an example of such a player as he came here to study and had no aspirations of even playing pro rugby let alone for Scotland. Its players say like Rikki Flutey of England who I'm not too keen on as the whole reason they come over is on a promise of being capped for the national sqaud.

But these days it is a pro sport and the joy of sentimentality is behind the need to win so I see why this is practised (by all nations)
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Dec 2018, 1:51 pm

tigertattie wrote:I love a massive debate.

I'd say 5 years is probably about right as lots of things can change in that time.

For me the main point is a matter of the chicken and the egg. If a player moves here and ends up playing for the country after a while then its all good. Even though Denton qualifes through his Mum, I just used him as an example of such a player as he came here to study and had no aspirations of even playing pro rugby let alone for Scotland. Its players say like Rikki Flutey of England who I'm not too keen on as the whole reason they come over is on a promise of being capped for the national sqaud.

But these days it is a pro sport and the joy of sentimentality is behind the need to win so I see why this is practised (by all nations)

On the subject of qualifying through grandparents, isn't playing international rugby the main reason Blade came over, to throw his lot in with Scotland? I don't hear anyone complaining about Kilted Kiwis if we're going to talk tenuous links, and they quite often only qualify through a grandparent and only come with the promise of a cap, just look at John Hardie, Maitland etc - all of whom have been excellent. Also, Steven Shingler, anyone?

The only exception I feel to the rule of our project players is Strauss who has been somewhat disappointing in a Scotland shirt and doesn't seem bothered either way. I feel Nel has very much become an adopted Scot, as did Visser. Johnson remains to be seen but I think he is already committed to playing for Scotland, and that's only after 3 years.

I'd choose to play for Scotland (if I was 5 stone heavier, 5 inches taller, and actually any good at rugby) but I've lived in England most of my life. If England approached me and for some reason I wasn't getting picked for Scotland I wouldn't reject it out of hand. Equally if I had a Welsh grandparent and was faced with the same scenario, I'd definitely consider Wales - these are guys who want to challenge themselves and the chance to play at the top level. I very much doubt any of them want to play less than their best. Arguably we have got to where we have today through a lot of good imports, if they want to represent Scotland, I have no issue with it whatsoever. 3 years, 5 years, I don't see much difference apart from more of an inconvenience.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 11 Dec 2018, 1:59 pm

I was always happy enough with three years, though i could understand why others felt it should be longer.

3 years is a long time in a professional contact sport, where you are ever only one game away from a career ending injury. 5 years is an eternity!

If anyone gives 5 years to the cause, they are alright in my book!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:33 pm

It's a strange one, there is a very good argument for saying that residency shouldn't be a qualifying factor at all - just because you have lived in a country for 3/5 years doesn't make you a citizen, unless you go though the formal process obviously.

I'm not against players being chosen on residency either, just that it's quite odd when you think about it.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:38 pm

EST wrote:It's a strange one, there is a very good argument for saying that residency shouldn't be a qualifying factor at all - just because you have lived in a country for 3/5 years doesn't make you a citizen, unless you go though the formal process obviously.

I'm not against players being chosen on residency either, just that it's quite odd when you think about it.

Depends on how you view citizenship vs residency - for me living somewhere is enough to call it my home. Also technically we'd then have a permanent British rugby team, as you can still only get a British passport, and we all know how that'd play out!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:43 pm

EST wrote:It's a strange one, there is a very good argument for saying that residency shouldn't be a qualifying factor at all - just because you have lived in a country for 3/5 years doesn't make you a citizen, unless you go though the formal process obviously.

I guess on that one, if someone moves to a country when they are young, and lives there their whole life then they are likely to 'feel' of that country, despite not necessarily having a family connection or being born there. In those circumstances residency rules do make a lot of sense.

Players coming over for 3 years was a strange rule looking back as that's a fairly short time, even in a pro career. 5 years is a longer undertaking and I believe long enough to be granted residency of the UK (ignoring marriage and other qualifying criteria) so that makes a lot more sense in terms of commitment.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:43 pm

NeilyBroon wrote:

Depends on how you view citizenship vs residency - for me living somewhere is enough to call it my home. Also technically we'd then have a permanent British rugby team, and we all know how that'd play out!  

Yeah, I lived in Canada for nearly three years and by the end of that period I felt pretty Canadian - that didn't help much with my visa application and status at the time though.

Like I said, I'm not against the residency ruling and think with the increase to 5 years they have got things about right.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:45 pm

EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

Depends on how you view citizenship vs residency - for me living somewhere is enough to call it my home. Also technically we'd then have a permanent British rugby team, and we all know how that'd play out!  

Yeah, I lived in Canada for nearly three years and by the end of that period I felt pretty Canadian - that didn't help much with my visa application and status at the time though.

Like I said, I'm not against the residency ruling and think with the increase to 5 years they have got things about right.

You mean aboot?

Not full Canadian!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:48 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
EST wrote:
NeilyBroon wrote:

You mean aboot?

Not full Canadian!

Maybe that's why my Permanent Residency app was rejected the first time!

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:55 pm

Is anyone else having a problem with this site?

Every time I click on any threads, I have to refresh the page 3-4 times as all I get is a page with an advert on it.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Dec 2018, 2:58 pm

I've not had any problems. Have you tried a different browser?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 11 Dec 2018, 3:10 pm

yeah, it's weird. Must be something to do with my work system.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 11 Dec 2018, 3:14 pm

If you're not logged in instead of being able to post you'll see a lot of ads at the bottom. Did it maybe not log you in each time?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 11 Dec 2018, 3:23 pm

No I've been logged in each time, it's not the adverts at the bottom. It's the advert at the top of the page. I get that on a plain white screen. Happens a few times after I click on anything until I refresh a number of times.

However if no one else is having this issue, clearly it's something at my end.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Tue 11 Dec 2018, 5:36 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:Is anyone else having a problem with this site?

Every time I click on any threads, I have to refresh the page 3-4 times as all I get is a page with an advert on it.

Happened to me a few times while on my phone today.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Dec 2018, 6:47 am

Eejit wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:Is anyone else having a problem with this site?

Happened to me a few times while on my phone today.
Did you click on a link "to this page" which happened to have dollar signs and swastikas in it?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Dec 2018, 1:54 pm

Stafford McDowell gets his first pro contract. 2 years till 2020.

Well deserved and a good bit of business

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Wed 12 Dec 2018, 1:56 pm

BigGee wrote:Stafford McDowell gets his first pro contract. 2 years till 2020.

Well deserved and a good bit of business

With the timing of this do you think it's likely Rennie is wanting to line him up on Saturday or against the Blues in the ERCC?

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Dec 2018, 4:15 pm

Now may be his chance. Sam Johnson likely to be back for the Blues game as well.

It is looking harder and harder to see where Alex Dunbar fits into all of this now?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 12 Dec 2018, 4:27 pm

BigGee wrote:Now may be his chance. Sam Johnson likely to be back for the Blues game as well.

It is looking harder and harder to see where Alex Dunbar fits into all of this now?

I'd agree, Big Eck has fallen away this year - he is still only 28, but his body has taken some serious punishment over the years. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him move on.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Wed 12 Dec 2018, 5:16 pm

I hear Edinburgh are looking for another centre!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 12 Dec 2018, 7:20 pm

BigGee wrote:I hear Edinburgh are looking for another centrerugby player, since Henners is feeling left out when the conversation turns to soft furnishings and feng shuing the orangerie.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 12 Dec 2018, 7:56 pm

BigGee wrote:I hear Edinburgh are looking for another centre!
Stranger things have happened! On current form / injury record I can't imagine he'll have lots of clubs banging on the door. His style suits Edinburgh too.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Wed 12 Dec 2018, 8:29 pm

Awesome, we could have 2 permanently crocked weegie centres on our books! Whistle

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Wed 12 Dec 2018, 8:29 pm

Can't see it.  He's an experienced head in the Glasgow midfield.  He might not be first choice currently but he's only 28 so got a few years left in him and I wouldn't put it past him to reclaim his starting spot.  Also he's a good player for the younger lads to learn from, so would be invaluable to the squad overall.

I'd happily take him at Edinburgh though, he can recreate the 12 & 13 combo with Scott, but it's massively unlikely.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 8:41 am

Tramptastic wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Alas in an industry where everything generally goes to the cheapest bidder, engineering salaries are nowhere near the same league as law and finance!

And he lives in London so he's probably having to live in a 15 bed shared house to be able to keep up his previous foie gras and caviar Edinburgh lifestyle

1 bed flat mate, I just pay in rent 3 times what my mortgage was in Edinburgh!

As an aside was it you that I was talking with about the Dark Tower books during the Scotland Summer tour thread?

It was me!

50 pages from the end? My heart breaks. Good luck.

Well I finished the last book a few days ago, and yes I read past the bit he said "don't read past this bit" (who would stop at that point!). It was certainly an epic tale and I'm glad I read it, but it didn't have as big an emotional punch as I was expecting (apart from when Oy had his runin with the spider!  Sad ). I did wonder how he was going to finish it and I suppose it was a satisfactory ending, although I've not fully resolved whether it makes all 7 previous books redundant! I suppose the whole point is it is about the journey and not the ending...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:24 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:I've not had any problems. Have you tried a different browser?

Do you work in IT Admin boy? Thats such a typical stock answer from IT when they don't know what the issues is and can't be bothered looking into it!

I'm also getting the same issue and I'm logged in. The screen goes white and down the bottom it looks like the page is trying to load up ads or Google analytics. Spamming the back button until a 606v2 page loads up again seems to resolve the matter!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:44 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I've not had any problems. Have you tried a different browser?

Do you work in IT Admin boy? Thats such a typical stock answer from IT when they don't know what the issues is and can't be bothered looking into it!

I'm also getting the same issue and I'm logged in. The screen goes white and down the bottom it looks like the page is trying to load up ads or Google analytics. Spamming the back button until a 606v2 page loads up again seems to resolve the matter!

Nope, hence why that was all I could suggest!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 13 Dec 2018, 9:52 am

[quote="RDW_Scotland"]
tigertattie wrote:

Nope, hence why that was all I could suggest![/quote

Out of regular IT hours (9-5) in the hospital, my colleagues and I (senior nurses not particularly techie minded) are the first port of call for all IT issues.

My stock reply to most queries is 'can you turn it off and switch it on again', believe it or not, that sorts out about 90% of all IT problems and these guys get paid a lot of money to tell us that!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:39 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Tramptastic wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Alas in an industry where everything generally goes to the cheapest bidder, engineering salaries are nowhere near the same league as law and finance!

And he lives in London so he's probably having to live in a 15 bed shared house to be able to keep up his previous foie gras and caviar Edinburgh lifestyle

1 bed flat mate, I just pay in rent 3 times what my mortgage was in Edinburgh!

As an aside was it you that I was talking with about the Dark Tower books during the Scotland Summer tour thread?

It was me!

50 pages from the end? My heart breaks. Good luck.

Well I finished the last book a few days ago, and yes I read past the bit he said "don't read past this bit" (who would stop at that point!). It was certainly an epic tale and I'm glad I read it, but it didn't have as big an emotional punch as I was expecting (apart from when Oy had his runin with the spider!  Sad ). I did wonder how he was going to finish it and I suppose it was a satisfactory ending, although I've not fully resolved whether it makes all 7 previous books redundant! I suppose the whole point is it is about the journey and not the ending...

It was horror I felt at the end, I'd spent my entire summer reading them as a teenager one year, back to back, reading every night - for it to end like it did I genuinely threw the book across the room and though "F*ck you Mr King", The horror the gunslinger feels when he realises whats going on is a really good bit of writing but still not sure if it was all worth it!

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:42 am

BigGee wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

Nope, hence why that was all I could suggest![/quote

Out of regular IT hours (9-5) in the hospital, my colleagues and I (senior nurses not particularly techie minded) are the first port of call for all IT issues.

My stock reply to most queries is 'can you turn it off and switch it on again', believe it or not, that sorts out about 90% of all IT problems and these guys get paid a  lot of money to tell us that!

NHS IT is a whole new can of worms... Considering we can't even link our kit to the wifi to print patient reports so depend on secure memory sticks instead...

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:45 am

Dunbar is Scotlands best centre, he allows other players to flourish by bringing a solidity and consistency to the midfield.

Horne scares me (and not in a good way like Russell), Johnson is unproven at international level, Russell doesnt work at 12 (maybe), Scott is defensively not as sound but brings more to the attack, Taylor is broken, Vernon is a prop not a centre, McDowell is, despite being from the 2nd greatest rugby club ever (Stewartry RFC, 2nd to Lismore RFC), too raw for international rugby, Deans is alright I suppose?

TL:DR Dunbar is yer man for the 12 shirt

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 13 Dec 2018, 10:53 am

Tramptastic wrote:Dunbar is Scotlands best centre, he allows other players to flourish by bringing a solidity and consistency to the midfield.

Horne scares me (and not in a good way like Russell), Johnson is unproven at international level, Russell doesnt work at 12 (maybe), Scott is defensively not as sound but brings more to the attack, Taylor is broken, Vernon is a prop not a centre, McDowell is, despite being from the 2nd greatest rugby club ever (Stewartry RFC, 2nd to Lismore RFC), too raw for international rugby, Deans is alright I suppose?

TL:DR Dunbar is yer man for the 12 shirt

I think Dunbar hasn't really shown up this season. If you were to compare to Scott (before he got crocked) I would have Scott in front of him by a fair margin. By that reasoning I also feel P Horne, in spite of his mistakes, is the best option we have right now. He brings a good work-rate and solidity to the backline, and does come up with some excellent plays - ruined only when he forces it - but that I feel is an inherently Scottish problem as opposed to any one player, still suffering the white line fever hangover from the 2005-2013 era.

I don't think we'd do any harm in trying Dean. I also forgot about Lang - who seems to have vanished but he seemed okay when he played for us and was doing alright for quins (albeit in a rubbish side). McDowalls time will come soon I'm sure. If he gets a shot in the xmas derby I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a callup for the 6N squad.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:03 am

I dunno like, I just feel Horne forces the pass far too often and I would dispute him being a calming voice.

Dunbar doesn't make mistakes, he'll never throw an amazing miss-pass but equally he'll never boot the ball straight in to touch/get bumped by trinh-duc/run like a headless chicken - aggressive straight lines, the ability to know when its on to pass and a defensive talent akin to BOD

But agreed, if he didn't get injured I'd off chucked Scott in as first choice currently

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:08 am

In other news, SJ may be moving back to Australia to become DoR there, or so the rumours say.
Since he took a step back from coaching, I don't think I've minded him so much, although I still don't know what he actually does. I think having him around has got the SRU some good contacts and certainly he seemed key in getting Vern in.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:23 am

The SRU really do some strange things. Scotland under 19s played Australia under 19s yesterday and apparently all spectators and journalists were banned from publicly saying anything about it. Mark Palmer tweeted a link to a contraband match report but the tweet was quickly deleted.

Dougie Vipond's son was playing as was a lad who plays for my club in Edinburgh.

Can't think of any rational reason why there was a wall of silence over the game!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:27 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:The SRU really do some strange things. Scotland under 19s played Australia under 19s yesterday and apparently all spectators and journalists were banned from publicly saying anything about it. Mark Palmer tweeted a link to a contraband match report but the tweet was quickly deleted.

Dougie Vipond's son was playing as was a lad who plays for my club in Edinburgh.

Can't think of any rational reason why there was a wall of silence over the game!

Did you see the score? I wouldn't want that getting out either.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:28 am

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:The SRU really do some strange things. Scotland under 19s played Australia under 19s yesterday and apparently all spectators and journalists were banned from publicly saying anything about it. Mark Palmer tweeted a link to a contraband match report but the tweet was quickly deleted.

Did you see the score?  I wouldn't want that getting out either.

What was it?

If you say am I going to get a message from the SRU saying to take it down??

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:54 am

Let's just say we scored a round number and they scored something between 69 and 71!

Sounds like some of their players should be playing for the Wallabies!

There is a proper game against the U19s this weekend. Hopefully they put up a bit more resistance!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 13 Dec 2018, 11:56 am

That's not too bad - I was expecting 3 figures from what Spoons said!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 21 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 21  Next