The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

+9
raycastleunited
Roller_Coaster
NedB-H
pedro
I'm never wrong
super_realist
McLaren
GPB
kwinigolfer
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 31 Oct 2018, 6:31 pm

First topic message reminder :

1).Back to the USA as the Tour bids farewell to Asia and howdy to the friendly confines of the (snappily named) "Shriners Hospitals for Children Open" in Las Vegas.
Didn't see anything of the Asian events but enjoyed the final round of the Sanderson Farms action from Mississippi and the statement made by winner Cameron Champ, coincidentally or not, in the same week as he's the cover boy on Golf Digest. A Star is Born perhaps?  

2).Regardless, the Tour season is already 10% done and the Pros have slowly figured out that good results (viz FedEx Points) and tournaments played can help take pressures off later - obviously more the Rafa policy than the Shane Lowry approach of previous years.

3).A few US Ryder Cuppers are coming out to play this week, BDeC (imagine he'll be happy not to be partnering anyone, he never did look comfortable en France), Finau, Fowler, Simpson (previous winner here) and Spieth. And Fowler and Spieth will tee it up at Mayakoba next week also.
GB&I interest is limited to Laird (previous winner, plus a hard luck play-off runner up when Byrd aced the play-off hole), McDowell (on a sponsor invitation) and Seamus Power. Laird has become especially adept at clocking up decent finishes before the heart of the Tour season is upon us.

4).As GPB has been reminding us, Stadler and Freddie Jac are playing again, on Major Medical Extension, and so is John Senden (more compassionate in his case). Sometimes surprising to look at the long list of one-time Tour regulars who get injured and creep back via the "Medical". Bill Haas started his season with two Top 15's but that falls narrowly adrift of fulfilling the demands of his extension so, for most stronger-field tournaments he'll be missing out. Whereas Lucas Glover qualified and will once again be a Tour regular this season (so long as the missus doesn't deck him, or otherwise put him out of commission). Others in that twilight zone include:
DeLaet
Donald
Hoffmann (wonder what his medical condition is like? We could have seen the last of him, which is pretty sad.)
Tim Clark
Camilo
Smylie Kaufman
Greg Owen (defining "Beyond the Fringe" as he continues to define "rank and file").

5).And Stage 2 of web.com Q-School is underway with one-time Tour winners such as Merrick, Hensby and Brendon Todd, plus old lags Brian Davis, Luke Guthrie, Martin Flores, Spencer Levin and Kyle Reifers - none of them household names, but none of them strangers either.

6).Next week the Tour goes to Mayakoba and the Champions action climaxes in Phoenix. Then RSM/McGladrey and, finally, a few weeks off until Kapalua where they are the champions. Some surprising names will already have secured their season by then. They are the Cameron champs of this world plus a few high finishers, while others will already be under pressure, increasingly difficult to get their season back on track.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri 09 Nov 2018, 9:33 pm

Wasted (probably) trip to Mexico for Laird, McDowell & Power.

And no sign of any Europeans qualifying for the web.com Q-School Finals; Brian Davis almost last in his qualie and can't see much future for him except as a "veteran player".

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Viva Las Vegas: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by NedB-H Sat 10 Nov 2018, 1:15 am

I had a list of 16 Euros I was tracking over 2nd stage Kwini; the only one to get through was Kristoffer Ventura, the Norwegian college hotshot. They must be doing something right in Norway as they also have the current US Amateur champ in Hovland, plus Reitan who qualified for the US Open as an amateur in June and is playing Euro q-school finals this week.

Not sure what the exemptions are to get you straight to final stage (they definitely haven’t filled up a field with stage 2 qualifiers). So I guess it’s possible some more Euros might get there via other routes.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Sat 10 Nov 2018, 1:49 am

NedB-H wrote:I had a list of 16 Euros I was tracking over 2nd stage Kwini; the only one to get through was Kristoffer Ventura, the Norwegian college hotshot. They must be doing something right in Norway as they also have the current US Amateur champ in Hovland, plus Reitan who qualified for the US Open as an amateur in June and is playing Euro q-school finals this week.

Not sure what the exemptions are to get you straight to final stage (they definitely haven’t filled up a field with stage 2 qualifiers). So I guess it’s possible some more Euros might get there via other routes.
Here is the list of exemption categories for final stage... https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq18/event/pgatq1826/agendas.htm?type=1&stype=12&hagenda=e4589b91-9a4d-4340-8860-737f792503f5

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sat 10 Nov 2018, 9:47 am

This guy does a pretty good Keegan
https://mobile.twitter.com/JackBartlett1/status/1060531747820093441

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sun 11 Nov 2018, 1:14 am

pedro wrote:This guy does a pretty good Keegan
https://mobile.twitter.com/JackBartlett1/status/1060531747820093441

That's "slightly" over the top exaggerated but I think his DJ is spot on.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GolfDigest/status/1060612285029380096

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 11 Nov 2018, 8:53 pm

Good day for Greybeards. But not for their usual caddies.
Where were Billy Foster & John Wood?

Good tournament for GTech - and GPB presumably?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Sun 11 Nov 2018, 9:52 pm

Kuch an Westwood first wins on the tours since 20th april 2014.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Mon 12 Nov 2018, 4:36 pm

robopz wrote:
NedB-H wrote:I had a list of 16 Euros I was tracking over 2nd stage Kwini; the only one to get through was Kristoffer Ventura, the Norwegian college hotshot. They must be doing something right in Norway as they also have the current US Amateur champ in Hovland, plus Reitan who qualified for the US Open as an amateur in June and is playing Euro q-school finals this week.

Here is the list of exemption categories for final stage... https://pgatq.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/pgatq18/event/pgatq1826/agendas.htm?type=1&stype=12&hagenda=e4589b91-9a4d-4340-8860-737f792503f5
Cheers for this robo. Seems it’s possible that final stage might have a former Challenge Tour winner then, William Harold who finished 10th on the PGA Tour China standings. Another Englishman won their moneylist, Callum Tarren, so is already exempt on the 2019 Web.com. Weirdly he didn’t win an event all season, although he did cash a winners check from losing a playoff to a local amateur.

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 Nov 2018, 5:40 pm

Ned,
I see Phillip Price is back for Regional Champions Tour qualifying. Hope he makes it and keeps his card - then he'll be able to give Phil Mickelson a welcome when he turns 50 . . . . . .

It still looks like just Casey, Rosey and Suri mia from Dubai.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 12 Nov 2018, 6:32 pm

Could Sam Horsfield have played? He is 61 on the list. He mentioned on Twitter that he is working on his “pause” shall we say.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 Nov 2018, 6:55 pm

Horsfield? I think he's in at #51, thought Kuchar was #61 and he must be chasing appearance fees, or something of the like. Kooch is not even playing the RSM/McGladrey which I think is a home tournament for him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 12 Nov 2018, 10:01 pm

My mistake. Looked at the blank spot and misread it as 51. Thanks Kwini.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 12 Nov 2018, 10:39 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Horsfield? I think he's in at #51, thought Kuchar was #61 and he must be chasing appearance fees, or something of the like. Kooch is not even playing the RSM/McGladrey which I think is a home tournament for him.

I hadn't realised the World Cup is on the horizon; Kuchar playing (with Kyle Stanley) in that.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Nov 2018, 3:46 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Horsfield? I think he's in at #51, thought Kuchar was #61 and he must be chasing appearance fees, or something of the like. Kooch is not even playing the RSM/McGladrey which I think is a home tournament for him.

Kuchar is playing Aussie Open this week, with Keegan

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 13 Nov 2018, 5:30 pm

GPB wrote:

Kuchar is playing Aussie Open this week, with Keegan

Thanks, Good. Quite the nice expenses paid holiday for the Kuchars.

As for Rory,
The other wrinkle could be that he and E are starting a family - doesn't make sense to me otherwise as he could fulfil his ET Membership requirements after the PGA Tour season is finished. Almost seems as if he's not seen the ET Schedule for next year.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue 13 Nov 2018, 5:36 pm

Leishman, J-Day, A-Scott are not playing the Aussie Open. Rarity for Scott.

Commonplace for J-Day who always seems to have personal reasons for not playing the Aussie Open.

Kuchar is playing the World Cup next week, so is Leishman

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by NedB-H Wed 14 Nov 2018, 12:24 am

Kwini will be pleased to see Phillip Price leading his Champions Tour q-school site. I can’t remember exactly how their system works but I seem to recall it being pretty strict so best for him to stay at the top of the leaderboard. A Frenchman and a Swede in a share of third, Remesy and Atlevi; Atlevi was at ET Q-school second stage last week and only missed out by a shot; wonder where he would have played this week had he made it. Can only assume he’s bored in retirement.

No Euros that I can see at the other venue, and the two most entertaining in the Florida field, Levet and Sandelin, are well down. Gary Nicklaus also struggling... how is he 50?!?

NedB-H

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Nov 2018, 2:10 pm

NedB-H wrote:Kwini will be pleased to see Phillip Price leading his Champions Tour q-school site. I can’t remember exactly how their system works but I seem to recall it being pretty strict so best for him to stay at the top of the leaderboard. A Frenchman and a Swede in a share of third, Remesy and Atlevi; Atlevi was at ET Q-school second stage last week and only missed out by a shot; wonder where he would have played this week had he made it. Can only assume he’s bored in retirement.

No Euros that I can see at the other venue, and the two most entertaining in the Florida field, Levet and Sandelin, are well down. Gary Nicklaus also struggling... how is he 50?!?

Much stronger field in Florida than California - I would have expected James Kingston to clean up on the Champions Tour, but he's off the pace (relatively speaking) after Round 1. Could also never understand why Barry Lane never did well on the Champo.
These guys will have Cabrera, Els & Goose to contend with if they get through. Then Karlsson towards the end of the year if he gets some invites.
Furyk, Phil for 2020, and Padraig and a bunch of Aussies for 2021.
Should have added Paul Lawrie (dob 1/1/1969) of course, though no idea if he'll take his talents to the USA. Wonder if he has any exemption, at least to Final Stage?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:34 pm

I am amazed that Lawrie is only 49 Kwini. I used to see him regularly at his range a few years back. Would have thought he was mid 50's back then.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:44 pm

super_realist wrote:I am amazed that Lawrie is only 49 Kwini. I used to see him regularly at his range a few years back. Would have thought he was mid 50's back then.

Facially, you'd think he'd be good for one of Shotrock's curling stones. Could make plenty of loot as a Senior though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Nov 2018, 7:57 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Should have added Paul Lawrie (dob 1/1/1969) of course, though no idea if he'll take his talents to the USA. Wonder if he has any exemption, at least to Final Stage?
Lawrie wouldn't have any exemptions, but usually 1st or 2nd year past major winners do really well in getting lots of sponsor exemptions.  But after a few years if they haven't shown much success, they start getting shut out of the SE's

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 14 Nov 2018, 8:15 pm

Apart from his major win Lawrie’s not much of a draw. Must be a PR agents nightmare.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Nov 2018, 8:44 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Should have added Paul Lawrie (dob 1/1/1969) of course, though no idea if he'll take his talents to the USA. Wonder if he has any exemption, at least to Final Stage?
Lawrie wouldn't have any exemptions, but usually 1st or 2nd year past major winners do really well in getting lots of sponsor exemptions.  But after a few years if they haven't shown much success, they start getting shut out of the SE's

Always amazed at how little love Steve Jones got from Champo sponsors, Andy North too, to a lesser extent.

And agree with pedro that Lawrie wouldn't be much of a draw for Champions Tour sponsors, don't know that he's ever tried to take up Tour membership in any way. Still a decent player though.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Wed 14 Nov 2018, 8:56 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Always amazed at how little love Steve Jones got from Champo sponsors, Andy North too, to a lesser extent.
Not sure I understand what you mean... North was exempt for 4 years and Jones got at least 10 exemptions for 5 straight years, as many as 15. Just neither one of the guys played all that well.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed 14 Nov 2018, 10:38 pm

robopz wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Always amazed at how little love Steve Jones got from Champo sponsors, Andy North too, to a lesser extent.
Not sure I understand what you mean... North was exempt for 4 years and Jones got at least 10 exemptions for 5 straight years, as many as 15.  Just neither one of the guys played all that well.

Not really quite fair in the Steve Jones case.
He was unfit to compete in the first year or two of his two-year exemption, then had to go straight to Q-School in 2011 after only playing a few events that year. No Medical Exemption for him.

Andy North played 2 or 3 years and then seemed to lose his exemption, only played sporadically - but given his health issues & TV commitments, perhaps I overstated his situation. But, compared to the free passes guys like Jacobsen still get (perhaps because he "owns" the tournament), it seems Andy didn't get a fair crack - but that's circumstantial.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Thu 15 Nov 2018, 12:44 am

Kwini:  Maybe the third time is the charm for Gibby III.  He is leading through 36 holes at PGATour Champions Tour School. Stage I

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 15 Nov 2018, 4:13 am

GPB wrote:Kwini:  Maybe the third time is the charm for Gibby III.  He is leading through 36 holes at PGATour Champions Tour School.  Stage I

I see that. The bloke in 3rd place won the only Hogan Tour event I ever attended, Roger Rowland.
Much stronger field, superficially, than the California qualie. Phillip Price slipping, James Kingston improving, and shockingly poor start for Thomas Levet.
Jim Carter up to 2nd in Cal, Zac Blair's Dad up to 5th.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2