The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International

+53
TrailApe
The Great Aukster
poissonrouge
Pie
whocares
majesticimperialman
Exiledinborders
ebop
Poorfour
Cumbrian
mid_gen
Hoonercat
demosthenes
quinsforever
theslosty
englishborn
Maine man
lostinwales
skiddy
Heaf
jaydubs1977
cb
Sgt_Pooly
kingelderfield
Yoda
Duty281
Galted
Artful_Dodger
Sharkey06
Luckless Pedestrian
TightHEAD
protea438
stub
Cyril
Mr Bounce
Taylorman
Armchairexpert
compelling and rich
propdavid_london
Barney McGrew did it
hugehandoff
screamingaddabs
Biltong
Geordie
formerly known as Sam
Collapse2005
BamBam
eirebilly
robbo277
munkian
No 7&1/2
Rugby Fan
LondonTiger
57 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International - Page 6 Empty England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International

Post by LondonTiger Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Date: Saturday 3rd November 2018
Time: 15:00

Referee:       Angus Gardiner (Aus)
Assistant 1: Jerome Garces (France)
Assistant 2: Ben Whitehouse (Wales)
TMO:            Olly Hodges (Ireland)

Teams

England

15 Elliot Daly (Wasps, 21 caps), 14 Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 26 caps), 13 Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 13 caps), 12 Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors, 13 caps), 11 Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 37 caps), 10 Owen Farrell (Saracens, 61 caps) co-captain, 9 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 77 caps), 1 Alec Hepburn (Exeter Chiefs, 2 caps), 2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints, 93 caps) co-captain, 3 Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 13 caps), 4 Maro Itoje (Saracens, 22 caps), 5 George Kruis (Saracens, 25 caps), 6 Brad Shields (Wasps, 2 caps), 7 Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 4 caps), 8 Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons, 4 caps).

16 Jamie George (Saracens, 28 caps), 17 Ben Moon (Exeter Chiefs, uncapped), 18 Harry Williams (Exeter Chiefs, 11 caps), 19 Charlie Ewels (Bath Rugby, 6 caps) , 20 Zach Mercer (Bath Rugby, uncapped), 21 Danny Care (Harlequins, 81 caps), 22 George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 47 caps), 23 Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 26 caps).

South Africa

15 Damian Willemse, 14 S’bu Nkosi, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Aphiwe Dyantyi, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Ivan van Zyl, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Duane Vermeulen, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Frans Malherbe, 2 Malcolm Marx, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Thomas du Toit, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 RG Snyman, 20 Lood de Jager, 21 Embrose Papier, 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 André Esterhuizen.

Last edited by LondonTiger on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:40 am; edited 2 times in total

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Daly really needs to work on his high ball if he is to be the Full Back, far too vulnerable at the moment. He also needs to learn to trust the wingers and pass the ball wide, 1 try went begging and another was possibly on the cards before he stepped into the SA defence.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International - Page 6 Empty Re: England vs South Africa - 1st Quilter International

Post by BamBam Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:23 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:This view doesn't look like a tackle

https://twitter.com/SUNSHINENICK/status/1058765350031015937

Think we are lucky that view didn't come up on the screen.

Watching that, Farrell is a very lucky man

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:24 pm

Cyril wrote:Decent win for England considering the first half. We can build on that

SANZAR SLAM. Believe

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:25 pm

Im sorry to be so negative guys I really am....but England are going to get torn a new one by the AB's.

That was utterly awful!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm

Looks that way but you never know.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm

protea438 wrote:
Biltong wrote:Yes South Africa Frak that up, same as their match at Loftus vs the AB's

They are still a long way off putting teams away

Come on mate relax, I hope you not one of those South Africans who enjoys bitching about South African teams every chance they get

Protea, this Bok team has been incredibly inconsistent in performances.

Execution cost them a number of matches this year, as well as mentality.

I call it as I see.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:26 pm

I hope Jones, Mitchell and co-captain Hartley make it clear to Farrell that another referee might easily have penalised him, so he has to get that tackling technique out of his game.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Certainly improving though Billtong, you'll be a force by the WC.

Im not convinced. Losses to Wales, England, Argentina and Australia etc. Away from home SA dont really scare anyone (except the ABs Shocked )

Put Ireland in that category, bar the All blacks bit.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm

I get that it's always easy to focus on the decision made at the end of the game, and that England could well still have won...

but honestly, I have seen red cards given in European games lately that were not as dangerous as that Farrell hit. Baffling call
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:29 pm

England are underweight vs SA pack.

Still, they hung in there and defended with real heart.

And every time we got into their 22 we came away with points. The only other team that does that is NZ.

So there is some hope at least.

But ABs next week is hard to imagine us winning.

On a side note, with a very exacting referee (blew every marginal offside and contact in lineout and maul-swim), that was probably the fewest penalties i have ever seen in an international match. good on both teams for that

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by theslosty Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:30 pm

I get that it's always easy to focus on the decision made at the end of the game, and that England could well still have won...

but honestly, I have seen red cards given in European games lately that were not as dangerous as that Farrell hit. Baffling call
theslosty
theslosty

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im sorry to be so negative guys I really am....but England are going to get torn a new one by the AB's.

That was utterly awful!

Fair to say ABs will very likely win, but SA are a different beast to the ABs. Lots less power but massive hike in ball skills, really doubt we will be giving away so many penalties as we did today. I suspect we will have a lot more ball and more chances, but so will the ABs, I really dont see it being as 1 sided for an entire half.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:I hope Jones, Mitchell and co-captain Hartley make it clear to Farrell that another referee might easily have penalised him, so he has to get that tackling technique out of his game.

I think he knew that looking at his celebration of relief at the decision. Hes lucky his lower arm was floating around the body somewhere otherwise it was a no arms tackle. It was anyway, but he got away with it.

Pollards miss decided the result ultimately.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:31 pm

red card for that? bahahaha. was clearly below the shoulder. whether it was no arms or not is irrelevant in any red card discussion.

sour grapes?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Well, as I understand it, an England side able to pick from all available players was only just able to beat a South Africa side unable to select European based players. So not sure why the optimism from England fans?

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:32 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Sgt_Pooly wrote:Certainly improving though Billtong, you'll be a force by the WC.

Im not convinced. Losses to Wales, England, Argentina and Australia etc. Away from home SA dont really scare anyone (except the ABs Shocked )

Yeah, you know that is just a BS clickbait comment.

The Springboks are coming, they have improved immensely since Allister Coetzee, still inconsistent, but soon they will scare the shyte out of many teams.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:34 pm

stub wrote:Sinckler was very impressive...
Really?

Thought he was awful in the first half, but good in second as we picked up the pace. Still feels to me that he is better used from the bench.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:35 pm

theslosty wrote:I get that it's always easy to focus on the decision made at the end of the game, and that England could well still have won...

The reds would probably have contained contact to the head - Farrell's didn't so whilst I'm not saying it was legal it was never a red either.

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:35 pm

Taylorman wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:I hope Jones, Mitchell and co-captain Hartley make it clear to Farrell that another referee might easily have penalised him, so he has to get that tackling technique out of his game.

I think he knew that looking at his celebration of relief at the decision. Hes lucky his lower arm was floating around the body somewhere otherwise it was a no arms tackle. It was anyway, but he got away with it.

Pollards miss decided the result ultimately.

Well Farrell missed one too, I would say SA's lineouts and knockons decided it really, when they had momentum they wasted it and England came into the game and got on top.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:39 pm

Even if everyone is fit, I can't imagine Jones will feel comfortable selecting the same starting XV against NZ.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Pollard missed two but he had the chance at 76 or so to take the match. An easy kick for him too. A little surprised his left to right action on the ball didnt add a small curve to the flight, it stayed straight. Thats why I think he was surprised, as he hit the right line on the kick, the right post for a Right foot kicker.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:42 pm

Biltong wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:

Yeah, you know that is just a BS clickbait comment.

The Springboks are coming, they have improved immensely since Allister Coetzee, still inconsistent, but soon they will scare the shyte out of many teams.

How many away games have they won this year? How can that possibly be a clickbait comment when SA have literally lost all away games? except for the great win v NZ

Last edited by Collapse2005 on Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:43 pm

Im sorry to be so negative guys I really am....but England are going to get torn a new one by the AB's.

That was utterly awful!

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:47 pm

Massivly effective defensive shift by the forwards, missing just 3 of 121 attempted tackles.

The overall tackle rate of 91% highest I have seen from us in a long time. Only really spoiled by Slade missing 6 tackles. 

Guess this also shows that SA made it a bit too easy for us constantly trucking the ball into contact.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:51 pm

GeordieFalcon wrote:Im sorry to be so negative guys I really am....but England are going to get torn a new one by the AB's.

That was utterly awful!

So convinced you told us twice? Very Happy

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

I agree England did defend well

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Hoonercat Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

Considering the inexperience in the England pack and the drubbing they took in the first half, they showed real heart to come out in the second half and take the game.

Hoonercat

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:52 pm

That was utterly awful!

Curry went off injured but was out of his depth in this anyway. I wouldnt start him next week. Didnt expect much from Shields and didnt get it. Have never thought he was test quality.

ABs have specifically prepared for this and Ireland and havent played anywhere near as badly as either of those sides tonight for years so its certainly theres to lose. Unfortunately for England they get the returning props, hookers and Retallick for this match, injuries well in hand to this point.

Awful game though. All I can see England doing next week is trying to skirt around the outsides with May and co and hope Farrell gets a few kicks awarded.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Against the AB's I'd be going...

1. Moon
2. Hartley
3. Williams
4. Itoje
5. Kruis
6. Shields
7. Wilson
8. Mercer

9. Youngs
10. Farrell
11. May
12. Te'o
13. Slade
14. Ashton
15. Daly

16. George 17. Sinkler 18. Hepburn 19. Lawes (is he back?) 20. ? 21. Care 22. Loz 23. Nowell

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:02 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:This view doesn't look like a tackle

https://twitter.com/SUNSHINENICK/status/1058765350031015937

Think we are lucky that view didn't come up on the screen.

No way is that a red though- and the arms are moving up so its ambiguous - 'clumsy' rather than deliberate.

I am not saying that is what happened, Farrell is quite capable of making cheap shots, but it is a way that incident could be read.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mid_gen Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Genuinely baffled by anyone that objects to Farrell's tackle on replay.

At full speed I thought it was high, but on replay, no problem. Perfectly legit tackle. Arms wrapped, fine.

You penalise that tackle you might as well just be play touch.

mid_gen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:11 pm

I put it on the main England thread but Daly just didn't look good at full back. I have been shouted down in the past, but Daly got beat to pretty much every high ball in attack, he showed poor positional play, no instinct for attack and just looked uncomfortable throughout.

I don't get what Te'o brings, he seems like a lump that kills our attack dead. Slade didn't look amazing either, but in retrospect he didn't have much to work with.

I nearly swore the house down at the end because I was convinced that Farrell had screwed us at the end. What a stupid thing to do, lucky boy.

I can't help but think we were a bit lucky (despite the admirable grit shown) and I think the All Blacks could tear us a new one.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:20 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I put it on the main England thread but Daly just didn't look good at full back.  I have been shouted down in the past, but Daly got beat to pretty much every high ball in attack, he showed poor positional play, no instinct for attack and just looked uncomfortable throughout.

I don't get what Te'o brings, he seems like a lump that kills our attack dead.  Slade didn't look amazing either, but in retrospect he didn't have much to work with.

I nearly swore the house down at the end because I was convinced that Farrell had screwed us at the end.  What a stupid thing to do, lucky boy.

I can't help but think we were a bit lucky (despite the admirable grit shown) and I think the All Blacks could tear us a new one.

I agree Daly is not shining in FB right now and needs a club run there to make a claim to be first choice, but right now who else would you put there? Ashton has played a lot there but would you trust his kicking? though attacking would likely be more lively.

When it opened up Te'o started to show some signs but not one currently to make an attacking difference when the team is going in reverse up front.

Apart from the almost penalty Farrell had a very good game.

Honestly I dont think the ABs will destroy us, they will win but I will be surprised by anything over 15 points winning margin.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:36 pm

I hope you are right, perhaps we will be okay, SA seem to be our arch nemesis from a forward power point of view. NZ will be more dynamic but not as powerful, so we may absorb their game better.

I don't know about Farrell, he was stood so far behind the gainline that everything was easily telegraphed. I would rather Ford at 10, he challenges the gainline at keeps defences guessing.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by englishborn Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:39 pm

Cumbrian wrote:I hope you are right, perhaps we will be okay, SA seem to be our arch nemesis from a forward power point of view.  NZ will be more dynamic but not as powerful, so we may absorb their game better.

I don't know about Farrell, he was stood so far behind the gainline that everything was easily telegraphed.  I would rather Ford at 10, he challenges the gainline at keeps defences guessing.

For a team as dominate up front as the Boks Farrell was better choice than Ford as he defends his channel much better and his game management is more confident. Against the ABs I think we can afford Ford to start as we will not (hopefully) be on the back foot so much and thus less penalties given away.

englishborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:48 pm

I'm never good at team ratings, but thought May, Kruis and Wilson had good notably games. Given that there were concerns about the form of Ben Youngs, he handled himself well enough. I was a bit concerned when Jones took Nowell off for Ashton, as Nowell had looked busy, and I fancied his workrate. I think Jones felt we were beginning to make more line breaks, and thought Ashton might just have the right instincts to get on the end of one of them.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:00 pm

theslosty wrote:I get that it's always easy to focus on the decision made at the end of the game, and that England could well still have won...

This was a ref who earlier in the game had waved on a clear shoulder to the head as “just a collision”. It would have been inconsistent to penalise a far more marginal tackle.

I like refs to be hard on player safety issues. But if they can’t referee them properly, they can at least be consistent in being lenient.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm

englishborn wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:I put it on the main England thread but Daly just didn't look good at full back.  I have been shouted down in the past, but Daly got beat to pretty much every high ball in attack, he showed poor positional play, no instinct for attack and just looked uncomfortable throughout.

I don't get what Te'o brings, he seems like a lump that kills our attack dead.  Slade didn't look amazing either, but in retrospect he didn't have much to work with.

I nearly swore the house down at the end because I was convinced that Farrell had screwed us at the end.  What a stupid thing to do, lucky boy.

I agree Daly is not shining in FB right now and needs a club run there to make a claim to be first choice, but right now who else would you put there? Ashton has played a lot there but would you trust his kicking? though attacking would likely be more lively.

When it opened up Te'o started to show some signs but not one currently to make an attacking difference when the team is going in reverse up front.

Apart from the almost penalty Farrell had a very good game.

Honestly I dont think the ABs will destroy us, they will win but I will be surprised by anything over 15 points winning margin.

according to the stats Teo had 8 runs for 7 m.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:24 pm

I think that we're forgetting a couple of things here: This is an England team that has been decimated by injuries to key players and they've just come off a dreadful run of results. They've faced up against a South Africa team who have just beaten the All Blacks. In New Zealand. That's no easy task. We have had to rely on young and inexperienced International Players.

Granted, it wasn't pretty, but the team did not crack and toughed it out against a constant barrage of South African muscle. Don't criticise England because of what could have happened if not for the SA mistakes. That's down to SA. I am pleased that they had enough nous to cross the finish line just in front. Well played Mark Wilson, Jonny May, Jack Nowell and a special mention to Ben Moon, who was clearly enjoying himself out there. Enjoy the win.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:26 pm

mid_gen wrote:Genuinely baffled by anyone that objects to Farrell's tackle on replay.

At full speed I thought it was high, but on replay, no problem. Perfectly legit tackle. Arms wrapped, fine.

You penalise that tackle you might as well just be play touch.

Mate, if that was a wrapped arms tackle then your interpretation of wrap is deeply skewed
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by Biltong Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:29 pm

Mr Bounce wrote:I think that we're forgetting a couple of things here: This is an England team that has been decimated by injuries to key players and they've just come off a dreadful run of results. They've faced up against a South Africa team who have just beaten the All Blacks. In New Zealand. That's no easy task. We have had to rely on young and inexperienced International Players.

Granted, it wasn't pretty, but the team did not crack and toughed it out against a constant barrage of South African muscle. Don't criticise England because of what could have happened if not for the SA mistakes. That's down to SA. I am pleased that they had enough nous to cross the finish line just in front. Well played Mark Wilson, Jonny May, Jack Nowell and a special mention to Ben Moon, who was clearly enjoying himself out there. Enjoy the win.

There was no nous, Farrel made his kicks while SA threw away their opportunities.

Thank your lucky stars for the win and move on.

In the greater scheme of things this was a horrible match ,taking anything positive out of that match for either English or SA fans is just fooling yourself.
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Watching England play rugby is truly painful. What else can be said about that game. Well done England kicking 4 penalties.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:49 pm

ebop wrote:Watching England play rugby is truly painful. What else can be said about that game. Well done England kicking 4 penalties.

Any more painful than SA?

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:52 pm

LondonTiger, regarding Sinckler (can’t get the iPad to quote you) - yes agree that he was better in the 2nd half and was referring to his 2 or 3 bursts in attack which I enjoyed.

Perhaps though, on reflection, me saying impressive was over-egging things a bit.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:53 pm

It’s good to see Biltong going back on his earlier optimism. That’s 2 on 2 now. Sit down

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
ebop wrote:Watching England play rugby is truly painful. What else can be said about that game. Well done England kicking 4 penalties.

Any more painful than SA?
Yes, England are a very painful watch, toothpick in the eyeball painful. SA at least scored a try and have players that do things that make you go to the edge of your seat. England, well, it’s kick and clap stuff.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by kingelderfield Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:56 pm

Lots flair from Farrell.........

kingelderfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:57 pm

toothpick in the eye yet you keep doing it - hmmmm ....

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:58 pm

I thought May and Nowell showed some flair...

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by ebop Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:59 pm

Can’t comment if I don’t watch the game Heaf. Well done England though. Good D and showed some grit. Scrum ain’t much chop. The ABs will have some fun there next week.
ebop
ebop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next