The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2019 Predictions

+2
MrInvisible
sirfredperry
6 posters

Go down

2019 Predictions Empty 2019 Predictions

Post by sirfredperry Mon 26 Nov 2018, 11:14 am

Now the 2018 season is over we can look forward to next season. Reading thru the 2018 predictions (see earlier topic), I and others predicted a return to form for Djoko, with one or two posters being spot on with Nole's two GS victories.
I think Djoko could well add to his Slam titles in 2019 and could conceivably win two of AO, Wimbledon and the USO. I always plump for Rafa for the French and I think he and Djoko will take the top two places next year, injuries permitting.
I didn't think Fed would do as well in 2018 as he had in 2017 and so it proved. But he still had a good year. Winning a slam and finishing third in the rankings was no mean feat. I think Fed will be top 10 in 2019 but a Slam may be beyond him. He should, at least, pick up his 100th title and remain competitive.
What about the others ? All British fans will be hoping Murray can make a comeback. His first target is to play regularly and feel reasonably OK. Zverev showed what he can do at the 02 earlier this month. The fact that he's managed to get as high in the rankings he has in the last two seasons despite poor showings at the Slams shows how consistent he's been in other tournaments. Now is the time for him to go deep at GS.
Thiem will be a top 10er again, possibly top five. Anderson has had two fantastic years late in his tennis life and could well be top 10 again. Likewise Cilic and Nishi. Let's hope delpo is not out for too long.
Of the younger players, Tsitsipas had a terrific season and may well push on. Shapovalov did well to defend most of his points from 2017 and is a terrific prospect. De Minaur is one to watch and Khachanov could finish quite high, too.
Kyle Edmund is likely to drop points at the AO but could make up for it afterwards. A top 20 position for him in 2019 would be a fine achievement. Thoughts on all the above, please.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

2019 Predictions Empty Re: 2019 Predictions

Post by MrInvisible Mon 26 Nov 2018, 1:03 pm

I agree that Djokovic looks like winning 1 or 2 (long shot at 3) slams and Federer looks more likely not to win a slam - outside chance of Wimbledon but nowhere else. Here's how I see the slams panning out:

Australian Open: Djokovic has to be red hot favourite, with the other semi-finalists likely to come from Nadal, Federer, Nishikori, Cilic, Zverev, Thiem or Khachanov.

French Open: I see Nadal, Djokovic and Thiem as the contenders, in that order, followed by Zverev. The draw will be of huge significance, as Nadal may be more vulnerable if he has to get past both Djokovic *and* Thiem to win it.

Wimbledon: If Djokovic doesn't make the final at Roland Garros, I actually make him favourite for Wimbledon. If he gets to final and plays a gruelling match I really don't see him winning Wimbledon despite the extra week between the tournaments added a few years ago. We saw after Djokovic won Roland Garros a couple of years ago that it took a lot out of him mentally, and I don't see anyone else matching Nadal and Federer's achievement of winning both titles in same year anytime soon. Other contenders will include Cilic, Nadal or even the likes of Dimitrov or Kyrgios could make a run there. Out of the younger players Tsitsipas looks best equipped for grass and could make quarters or even semis.

US Open: I think Djokovic may struggle to keep up momentum over the whole year and don't see Nadal or Federer winning it again, so will either go for Cilic finally closing his matches out, or a maiden slam win for Zverev. Nishikori, Del Potro and Khachanov may be in the mix.

Agree that top 20 end-of-year would be fantastic achievement for Edmund - I reckon though he'll be bit lower, but within top 30.

Unfortunately I think Murray will call it a day, but have a reasonable run at Wimbledon - maybe 4th round to end his career on reasonably positive note. Would like to be proved wrong.

The womens has been wide open in 2018 with 4 different slam winners. Osaka may struggle, due to the Serena fall-out, whilst I think one of Kerber, Muguruza or Halep is capable of winning 2 slams. I expect Serena to make a final but maybe come short again.

Will have a go at the rankings later. Maybe we can have a fun contest, with points awarded for each correct player in top 10 and bonus points for getting near the right position...

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 26 Nov 2018, 3:48 pm

Points-for-rankings sounds fun. Didn't mention the women in my OP but Halep, injuries apart, tends to be the most consistent of the top players. Mug had a comparatively poor year but could well bounce back. Kerber and Wozniacki will be top 10 again, IMHO. Sabalenka could do well, too.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Mon 26 Nov 2018, 5:18 pm

Edmund is currently 14 in the world. Whilst I appreciate he is likely to lose points at Oz, I think it would be a very disappointing season for him to end outside the top 20 in 2019. Remaining top 20 would be par and I’d only describe making the top 10 as a fantastic achievement.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Mon 26 Nov 2018, 7:35 pm

Jack Draper has yet to turn professional yet is currently ranked 428.  He is 16 years old (turns 17 towards the end of December).   I wonder if he will turn professional in 2019 (which would mean he would have to be privately tutored to get his academic qualifications).  He has the advantage of a 6'2" frame already and weighs 75 kg (according to ATP).

Boris Becker was 17 years and 228 days when he won Wimbledon in 1985.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sat 15 Dec 2018, 11:16 pm

My prediction for top 10 at end of 2019 is:

1. Djokovic
2. Zverev
3. Nadal
4. Thiem
5. Federer
6. Cilic
7. Nishikori
8. Coric
9. Del Potro
10. Tsistsipas

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 17 Dec 2018, 11:42 am

MrInvisible wrote:My prediction for top 10 at end of 2019 is:

1. Djokovic
2. Zverev
3. Nadal
4. Thiem
5. Federer
6. Cilic
7. Nishikori
8. Coric
9. Del Potro
10. Tsistsipas

This looks a sound prediction, although delpo's placing naturally will depend on fitness. I have a feeling that Zverev will do well in the Slams in 2019 and so he could well end up at number two. I reckon, though, that Nadal will finish two. I think most people reckon that Fed will be a top-10er in 2019 without doing as well as he did in 2017 and 2018. Tsitsipas will have done well to finish 10.
Interesting to see if anyone else can come up with a possible top-tenner who is NOT on the above list.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 21 Dec 2018, 11:47 am

As we look ahead to 2019, the AO has just announced that tiebreaks (first to 10 points) will kick in at 6-6 in the final set at the AO in January.
Well remember Roddick and El Aynaoui slugging it out (21-19 I think) for hours on end one year at Melbourne. Reckon the AO perhaps should have had an ordinary 7pt tiebreak at 12-12 as Wimbledon have done. No news on the French yet.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Fri 28 Dec 2018, 9:15 am

Andy Murray has arrived in Australia ahead of the Brisbane tourney which kicks off the new year.
Let's have some more predictions please now that the new season approaches.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Fri 28 Dec 2018, 12:07 pm

sirfredperry wrote:Andy Murray has arrived in Australia ahead of the Brisbane tourney which kicks off the new year.
  Let's have some more predictions please now that the new season approaches.

Says he still has pain in his hip but hopes that will ease up by playing matches. Doesn't really augur well for him. Hope I am wrong but can see him retiring this year.

As for the rest an interesting year coming up. The current top 16 has 7 players aged 25 and under with 5 of these being under 23. If Zverev can start getting to the sharp end of the slams, which having Lendl on board should help, I think he will be either number 1 or 2 at year end. A lot depends of whether Djokovic maintains the momentum and enthusiasm he showed in the second half of 2018. The fact that he lost his last two finals against younger players in Zverev and Khachanov may show that they have started to believe that he can be beaten more often. Can't see Nadal playing a full season due to his knee problems so the clay court portion of the year will again be crucial to his end of year ranking. Federer will pick and choose his tournaments and probably end up between 5 and 10 at year end. So there are plenty of opportunities for the younger players to move up the rankings. They just need to show consistency rather than having a couple of good weeks and then fading away for months.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 28 Dec 2018, 12:08 pm

Andy Murray to have another hip operation or retire. He says his hip continues to give him pain but not as bad as before - and he is hoping he is able to get through AO2019 without things going pear shaped.

After his operation Jan 2018 - he came back for the grass season - played well - but pulled out of Wimbledon - and then had a hit and miss hard court season with a very light schedule. From the matches he played over the hard court season it was clear that he still had a residual limp while walking but it was unclear whether that was affecting him during the match. With Murray's latest comment that his hip is still causing pain - it has become clear it was affecting him during play as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/46699705

I'll have a think about it and then post my top 10 predictions. We are clearly into another transition year with the top four era + Wawrinka - well and truly on their last legs. But have to go with Djokovic and Nadal continuing to maintain a reasonable level while Federer beginning to run out of puff across a tournament.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Fri 28 Dec 2018, 12:15 pm

Nadal had all sorts of issues last year from an upper thigh / hip muscular problem, to ankle problems and maybe knee issues. It sounds like his body is beginning to fail him (not just the knees). Meanwhile Djokovic did seem to reach levels of peak Djokovic last year (in spurts) but one wonders how the elbow and other parts of his body will hold up. Zverev with Lendl as coach could be one to watch out for especially given his poor performances in the slams (3 x 3R + 1 QF). Del Potro had an injury that cut short his 2018 season - and it is not clear how well he is going to recover from that.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sun 30 Dec 2018, 1:31 am

I believe all 4 slams will be won by non-big3

Last edited by invisiblecoolers on Wed 02 Jan 2019, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Sun 30 Dec 2018, 10:48 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:I believe all 4 slams will be won by non-big 3

Well, IC, you could be right. But I would never bet against Rafa at the French and I think Djoko will win in Melbourne. Possibly a case could be made out for a non top-three guy triumphing at Wimbledon or the USO.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 02 Jan 2019, 1:56 am

sirfredperry wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:I believe all 4 slams will be won by non-big 3

Well, IC, you could be right. But I would never bet against Rafa at the French and I think Djoko will win in Melbourne. Possibly a case could be made out for a non top-three guy triumphing at Wimbledon or the USO.

I agree with you, but I just hope Rafa, Fed and Djoko don't win a slam anymore.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Mon 25 Nov 2019, 9:08 pm

Might be worth reading thru what we all predicted for 2019. No one, it seems, forecast how well Medvedev would do, but some of the other predictions were pretty good.

Thought it would be a step too far for anyone to predict that the Big Three would win NO slams in 2019.

I shall shortly start a new topic for predictions for 2020.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down