The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

+16
dynamark
Seve76
Be_the_ball
LadyPutt
hogie
JAS
Roller_Coaster
raycastleunited
super_realist
pedro
Shotrock
Diggers
beninho
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
McLaren
20 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" - Page 2 Empty "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by McLaren Wed 02 Jan 2019, 5:39 pm

First topic message reminder :

"The ultimate goal is here [the US]. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the way it is," 
(Rory Mcilroy)

Rory McIlroy has described the European Tour as "a stepping stone" and has reiterated his intention to concentrate on the PGA Tour in 2019.
The four-time major winner is competing at the Sentry Tournament of Champions in Hawaii this week as part of his increased focus on US tournaments.

The 29-year-old wants to reduce his European Tour commitments in an effort to add to his major titles.

"My life's here. I have an American wife. I live in America," said McIlroy.
"Honestly, I enjoy it here more. The way of life is easier. The weather. The convenience," he added.

The Northern Irishman has so far only committed to playing two events on his home tour this season, and needs to play a minimum of four tournaments outside of the majors and the World Golf Championships to retain his European Tour membership.

"The ultimate goal is here [the US]. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth. The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the way it is," he said.

"It's tough. I still want to support the European Tour, and I talk about this loyalty thing with Europe. [But] it's not as though I'm just starting out and jumping ship.

"I've done my time. I've done everything I feel like I need to do to say OK, I'm going to make my own decisions and do what I want."

A long-time supporter of the European Tour, McIlroy could still add a further two European tournaments to his 2019 schedule but admits the PGA Tour offers much greater incentives for the world's top players: "It's so one-sided. You can talk all you want about these bigger events in Europe, but you can go to America and play for more money and more ranking points.

"I think as well with the world ranking points, everyone out here, all of their contracts with sponsors, it's all about world ranking points. If players are getting paid more and earning more world ranking points, why would you play over there?"

McIlroy is paired with Xander Schauffele for the opening round of the Tournament of Champions event at the Kapalua Resort.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/northern-ireland/46736873

Rory announces the end of the European Tour as a credible entity.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" - Page 2 Empty Re: "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by pedro Sun 06 Jan 2019, 9:56 pm

Well Pelley sounded open to the switch. So are we then to assume Aberdeen turned down the request?

pedro

Back to top Go down

"The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth" - Page 2 Empty Re: "The European Tour is a stepping stone. That's the truth"

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 06 Jan 2019, 10:07 pm

Yeah agreed Kwini, I really don't blame him for getting the hump. Probably could have communicated it in a more "managed" way, but that's Rory he's probably too honest for his own good at times. But I'd rather he be like that than contrived yes and no answers. He's playing great this week and it's great to see again, hopefully he goes on to win it. Happy new year btw thumbsup

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 07 Jan 2019, 4:40 am

Great tee to green now if somebody could show him how the flat stick is meant to work

He does see to have a bad case of the sunday jitters, he needs to get a win under his belt!

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by Seve76 Mon 07 Jan 2019, 1:14 pm

If he played more in Europe he might actually learn how to win tournaments again.

Seve76

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon 07 Jan 2019, 1:49 pm

Seve76 wrote:If he played more in Europe he might actually learn how to win tournaments again.
Maybe he should try the Indonesian Masters.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Mon 07 Jan 2019, 1:57 pm

Seve76 wrote:If he played more in Europe he might actually learn how to win tournaments again.

Seve, I hope you are not implying that it is easier to win on the European tour.... boxing

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Mon 07 Jan 2019, 4:18 pm

pedro wrote:

He could try the January Stableford at my place this Saturday. Decent practise for Augusta.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 07 Jan 2019, 4:45 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
pedro wrote:

He could try the January Stableford at my place this Saturday. Decent practise for Augusta.

I was going to say the same for my place but he wouldn't get a sniff with less than 44 points!

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Wed 09 Jan 2019, 2:06 pm

Not sure what his handicap was when he turned pro but I assume he was in the region of plus 5…. So to score 44 points he would need to get to 13 under par. Having said that he would be off a hell of a lot shorter tees than he is used to. I think for him to do that he would need to sub somebody in to do the putting!!

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Wed 09 Jan 2019, 5:54 pm

Does anyone here remember the crazy poster many years back who told us about the young kid at Hollywood? golf club who was shooting ridiculous scores at age 15 ,get your money on him for a major etc etc. Complete madness- didn't take any notice.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:49 pm

It was either on the old 606 board or the GolfObserver forum that someone told us about Rory. (Was it Bluecoverman?).

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:52 pm

hogie wrote:Not sure what his handicap was when he turned pro but I assume he was in the region of plus 5…. So to score 44 points he would need to get to 13 under par.   Having said that he would be off a hell of a lot shorter tees than he is used to.    I think for him to do that he would need to sub somebody in to do the putting!!

He was at least plus 6, perhaps even plus 7.
Strangely enough +5 is not that rare.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

hogie wrote:Not sure what his handicap was when he turned pro but I assume he was in the region of plus 5…. So to score 44 points he would need to get to 13 under par.   Having said that he would be off a hell of a lot shorter tees than he is used to.    I think for him to do that he would need to sub somebody in to do the putting!!

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Jan 2019, 6:54 pm

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:01 pm

Ok super, we get the point.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:15 pm

a

Last edited by super_realist on Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:28 pm

I think he was referring to you posting it three times. Something that happens to me too

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 09 Jan 2019, 8:34 pm

Davie wrote:I think he was referring to you posting it three times. Something that happens to me too

Wow, how did that happen?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Thu 10 Jan 2019, 8:59 am

super_realist wrote:
Davie wrote:I think he was referring to you posting it three times. Something that happens to me too

Wow, how did that happen?
CTE?

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Thu 10 Jan 2019, 10:19 am

Chronic traumatic encephalopathy

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Jan 2019, 11:08 am

I'm never wrong wrote:It was either on the old 606 board or the GolfObserver forum that someone told us about Rory. (Was it Bluecoverman?).

Not bluecoverman.

It was the old 606 board.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 10 Jan 2019, 12:11 pm

Rory has been on TV and in magazines since he was very young so you wouldn't even have to know him to make the prediction. Even Sergio was on transworld sport when he was a kid.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by hogie Thu 10 Jan 2019, 1:37 pm

Rory was on Irish telly, I think it was "The Late Late Show" when he was 9 chipping balls into a washing machine. But the secret was really out when he shot a 61 in Portrush when he was 16. I think he was playing off Plus 4 then.

hogie

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 10 Jan 2019, 8:14 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
I'm never wrong wrote:It was either on the old 606 board or the GolfObserver forum that someone told us about Rory. (Was it Bluecoverman?).

Not bluecoverman.

It was the old 606 board.

Nope it wasn't me! I played in the same club team as Dale Whitnell (Who? Laugh ) Dale played in the 2009 Walker Cup against Rickie Fowler in a GB&I side that included Tommy Fleetwood. Two years previously he was only one shot behind Danny Willett in the Open Amateur Championship. He turned pro shortly after the Walker Cup and in his second event came 4th in the Alfred Dunhill Championship at Leopard Creek and picked up nearly 40k. Sadly that was as good as it got for Dale, he's never been able to repeat that early promise. It's a tough old way to make a decent living that's for sure, even for those that have great talent...

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 11 Jan 2019, 6:06 pm

pedro wrote:What the ET / Pelley needs to do is ensuring that up an coming players remain on the ET (by continuing to offer big purses, developing the Rolxes series etc) and then just forget about the current crop of US based players.
I agree with you completely, and I think that's exactly what Pelly/ET is/was trying to do.

Problem is with the formation of the Rolex series along with the current membership policies, they are accomplishing exactly the opposite. The way it's working out there's every incentive for the quality Euro to play the PGA Tour more and the ET less... Not just the current dual tour guys, but all the new ones as well.

Just a few years ago there were always a few ET guys who would qualify for PGA Tour membership and wouldn't take it. But now EVERY ONE who qualifies joins the PGA tour... And with more than ever chomping at the bit to get there.

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by robopz Fri 11 Jan 2019, 6:34 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Apparently Rory's nose is out of joint with Pelley because his one and only request was turned down. Let's face it Rory has gone out of his way to support the ET, funding events and even committing to other tournaments in order to have players play ET events. He asked for 1 thing in return and was blanked. Player power rules, he is and always has been very generous with requests made of him. I can't blame him for getting the hump here.
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/irishopen/rory-mcilroy-bidding-to-switch-irish-open-date-to-become-2019-open-championship-warmup-36651564.html
Maybe you folks could help me out on something. The word over here is Rory didn't ask out of hosting the Irish Open, instead he was asked to step aside to let others have a shot. And supposedly he was a bit peeved at that.

Is there any truth to that? Does anybody know?

robopz

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Fri 11 Jan 2019, 6:56 pm

robopz wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Apparently Rory's nose is out of joint with Pelley because his one and only request was turned down. Let's face it Rory has gone out of his way to support the ET, funding events and even committing to other tournaments in order to have players play ET events. He asked for 1 thing in return and was blanked. Player power rules, he is and always has been very generous with requests made of him. I can't blame him for getting the hump here.
https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/irishopen/rory-mcilroy-bidding-to-switch-irish-open-date-to-become-2019-open-championship-warmup-36651564.html
 Maybe you folks could help me out on something. The word over here is Rory didn't ask out of hosting the Irish Open, instead he was asked to step aside to let others have a shot.  And supposedly he was a bit peeved at that.  

Is there any truth to that? Does anybody know?

No Robo, Rory has brought the Irish Open back from the dead. It was only fair that the other successful Irish players got involved much like the English lads have done with the British Masters with a rotating host. Rory was more than happy to pass the baton. He will still be involved but on a rotating basis. He wants to focus on winning more majors.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/golf/paul-mcginley-stepping-back-from-irish-open-hosting-duties-will-help-rory-mcilroy-36571738.html

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2