The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC

+15
formerly known as Sam
mikey_dragon
Pot Hale
jimbopip
Eejit
Hazel Sapling
demosthenes
IanBru
TheMildlyFranticLlama
BigGee
EWT Spoons
RDW
funnyExiledScot
LondonTiger
tigertattie
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC Empty Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC

Post by tigertattie Tue 15 Jan 2019, 3:07 pm

Edinburgh vs Montpellier

19:45 (GMT) Fri 18 Jan 2019 European Champions Cup

Venue: Murrayfield Stadium

From the beeb:
Edinburgh coach Richard Cockerill hopes to beat Montpellier to seal a Champions Cup home quarter-final - and also help out "little brother" Glasgow Warriors.

A victory for Cockerill's Pool 2 leaders on Friday would secure Warriors' progress into the last eight as one of the three best runners-up.

It would be the first time both sides have been in the quarter-finals.

"It's about time we started doing them some favours. We will try and get them qualified," Cockerill said.

"We are playing for big stakes here, we are playing for a home quarter-final, we are playing to qualify.

"We are only interested in Edinburgh, but the by-product is getting Glasgow through.

"If we win, we get us through and Glasgow through, so come and support Scottish rugby.

"But come and support Edinburgh. We have got something worth supporting."

Glasgow fans have every reason to back Edinburgh against Montpellier, who are second top in their group, as the capital side aim for a seventh win in succession.

A home win would guarantee Warriors a place in the last eight before they travel to face their own pool leaders, Saracens, on Saturday.

"We are a small nation, we've got a small playing pool, so for us to even be contemplating getting a quarter of the European knockouts to be Scottish is pretty impressive," Cockerill added.

Even Rennie says the Weegies should support us Hug
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC

Post by LondonTiger Tue 15 Jan 2019, 3:26 pm

Good luck.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC Empty Re: Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 15 Jan 2019, 3:42 pm

Play smart, keep the ball in play and leverage what should be a decent atmosphere by Edinburgh standards. The defence has been good and the scrum solid. This is a massive test against a very good side, but there are signs of real confidence emerging in this Edinburgh team and whisper it quietly, one or two World Class Players....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 15 Jan 2019, 4:26 pm

Game of the season this - game of the last few seasons being honest. Win it and we'll probably get a home QF and real chance to get into the semis (depending who we get!), not to mention helping little brother out (Edinburgh fans are going to make the most of this for a while! Very Happy ). Lose it and we could be out - all that effort and great wins for nothing.

I don't think it's worth bothering putting an expected team up as we all know what it's going to be! Only variable could be whether we have any big names back on the bench - there's been rumours of Matt Scott returning but nothing concrete. He'd certainly make welcome impact off the bench in a game like this. I'd put money on our 23 being exactly the same though.

Montpellier will be favourites on paper I'm sure but I think we can do it. Believe!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 15 Jan 2019, 4:34 pm

Not wanting to get ahead of myself here, but I think from what I have seen, so far, the expectation is (should we win on fri) we'd get Munster at home in the quarters.

Team will pick itself.

Looking at the team we put out in Oct, I think the team that'll play on fri is far better. Granted Montpelier will also be stronger as well, but we will have home advantage too.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 15 Jan 2019, 4:47 pm

Montpellier have not won away yet in the tournament, lost narrowly to Newcastle and then thumped by Toulon at home.

I don't think their away form in the Top 14 has been anything to write home about either. Still, this is a money game and one of them that the big, very well paid guys are expected to turn up for.

Hopefully it is a freezing cold night in Edinburgh next Friday, 20 degrees colder than Montpellier in January, then we might see just how much they want it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Tue 15 Jan 2019, 5:13 pm

Believe. We've got this.

Normally when I post things like that about Edinburgh in matches like this I'm being massively sarcastic, how nice that this time I can say it with some kind of conviction. Can't wait to watch this one!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 16 Jan 2019, 11:30 am

Wont be easy as we're both playing for a home semi here!

Now, can anyone with a knowledge of the rules help out here.

Team Played Won Drawn Lost For Against Diff Bonus Points
1 Edinburgh 5 4 0 1 135 73 62 3 19
2 Monty 5 3 0 2 148 97 51 4 16

What happens if Monty win without a try BP and we get a losing BP, we both finish on 20
Or
What happens if Monty win with a 4 try BP to take them to 21 points but we get a 4 try BP and a losing BP to take us to 21???

Does it come to a head to head? Points difference?

If it's points diff then by my count all we need is to stop them scoring 4 tries and finish within 7 points of em???

Although I know the best gameplan is to go out there and win!

tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 16 Jan 2019, 12:26 pm

If they win they'll top the pool based on the below as they've beaten us twice

(b) If two clubs in the same pool are equal on match points at the end of the pool stage, their ranking will be determined by the results of the two matches played between the relevant clubs as follows:
(i) the club with the greater number of match points from the two matches; or
(ii) if equal, the club with the best aggregate points difference from the two matches; or
(iii) if equal, the club that scored the most tries in the two matches.

(c) If ranking remains unresolved and/or if clubs have not played each other previously in the pool stage, qualification/ranking will be determined as follows:
(i) the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or
(ii) if equal, the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or
(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended under Disciplinary Rules in the pool stage; or
(iv) if unresolved, by drawing lots.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 16 Jan 2019, 12:57 pm

tigertattie wrote:Wont be easy as we're both playing for a home semi here!

Now, can anyone with a knowledge of the rules help out here.

Team          Played Won Drawn Lost For  Against Diff Bonus Points
1 Edinburgh 5         4     0       1     135  73       62  3       19
2 Monty      5         3     0       2     148 97       51   4      16

What happens if Monty win without a try BP and we get a losing BP, we both finish on 20
Or
What happens if Monty win with a 4 try BP to take them to 21 points but we get a 4 try BP and a losing BP to take us to 21???

Does it come to a head to head? Points difference?

If it's points diff then by my count all we need is to stop them scoring 4 tries and finish within 7 points of em???

Although I know the best gameplan is to go out there and win!
Tattie, my understanding is that where teams who have played each other are tied, it is decided as follows:

1. Championship points from the head-to-head matches - Montpellier are ahead 4-1
  2. Tries scored in the head-to-head matches - Montpellier are ahead 3-2
  3. Points difference in the head-to-head matches - Montpellier are ahead 21-15
  4. Overall points difference
  5. Overall tries scored
  6. Least players suspended
  7. Drawing of lots
  8. Who can sit through the most of on of Jimbo's literary anecdotes

So the following outcomes are possible in terms of championship points:

EdinburghMontpellierResult
52Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
51Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
50Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
42Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
41Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
40Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow away QF
33Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow out
32Edinburgh possible home QF, Glasgow away QF
25Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
24Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
23Edinburgh home QF, Glasgow out
22Edinburgh possible home QF, Glasgow away QF
15Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
14Edinburgh away QF, Glasgow out
05Either Edinburgh OR Glasgow to have away QF
04Either Edinburgh OR Glasgow to have away QF

All of the above are on the assumption that Toulouse and Ulster both win and Glasgow lose without a bonus point, meaning that the Montpellier result actually matters for Glasgow.

I'm going to have a lie down.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:04 pm

Edinburgh vs Montpellier - European Champions Cup - The return of BVC DxDASvrX4AA8ds1

If it's not broke don't fix it!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:11 pm

Cockers problems will occur if it does get broken!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:13 pm

My concerns after last week is that we suddenly think we're the Harlem Globetrotters of rugby and start throwing the ball around and trying offloads that just aren't on etc (i.e. do a Glasgow). We saw a bit of that when chasing the 4th try last week.

Hopefully it's been drummed into them that Montpellier are going to be tougher to breakdown and we still need to lay our platform and attack intelligently instead of thinking things will just happen for us.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:13 pm

Happy with that team, given it's the clear first choice.

Interestingly the bookies have us down as being pretty clear favourites for this game.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:17 pm

Head coach Richard Cockerill has named an unchanged side for tomorrow night’s winner-takes-all encounter with French galacticos Montpellier in the Heineken Champions Cup at BT Murrayfield (Friday 18 January, kick-off 7.45pm).

Victory would secure what would be the capital side’s first appearance in the knock-out stages of Europe’s premier club rugby competition since 2012. A win would also maintain the team’s unbeaten home record so far this season and extend the club’s winning run to seven games in all competitions.

Should the city’s rugby community turn out in force, then the match could be played out in front of the biggest attendance ever recorded for a European pool match in Scotland.

Adult ticket prices increase by £5 from midnight on Thursday, so supporters are encouraged to secure their tickets today in order to beat the queues and save on matchday prices.

Ahead of the momentous fixture, Head Coach Richard Cockerill, said: “We’ve given ourselves the opportunity to finish top of the group and to be at home in the quarter-finals, so I want us to take that opportunity.

“We’re going to go out there, gumshields in, sleeves rolled up and we’re going to get in the middle of it and see where we get to.

“All the pressure will be on them - they’re the A-listers. They’ve won one of their last 13 away European games and that was at Glasgow, but they’ll have expectations to get out of this group.

“I’m going to back ourselves however. They’ve got some great coaches and world class players, but we’re going to do everything we can to win on Friday night, and I believe we can do it if we get it right.”

Cockerill has stuck with the same side that recorded an historic win over Toulon at the Stade Mayol last weekend.

The matchday 23 contains all 12 Edinburgh players named this week in Gregor Townsend’s Scotland squad for the forthcoming Guinness Six Nations.

Try scorers in the South of France last weekend - wing Darcy Graham, fullback Blair Kinghorn and centre James Johnstone - form the spine of a back division that also includes Scotland call-up Chris Dean and South African duo Duhan van der Merwe and Jaco van der Walt. Henry Pyrgos once again partners van der Walt at scrum-half.

Captain Stuart McInally packs down in a formidable front row alongside props Pierre Schoeman and WP Nel, whilst Ben Toolis and Grant Gilchrist continue their partnership in the second row.

Offload kings Bill Mata and Jamie Ritchie are named in the back-row along with the relentless Hamish Watson.

Edinburgh team to play Montpellier in the Heineken Champions Cup at BT Murrayfield on Friday 18 January (kick-off 7.45pm) – live on BT Sport

15 Blair Kinghorn (76)

14 Darcy Graham (17)
13 James Johnstone (33)
12 Chris Dean (79)
11 Duhan van der Merwe (33)

10 Jaco van der Walt (30)
9 Henry Pyrgos (15)

1 Pierre Schoeman (13)
2 Stuart McInally (132) CAPTAIN
3 WP Nel (127)
4 Ben Toolis (102)
5 Grant Gilchrist (132)
6 Jamie Ritchie (60)
7 Hamish Watson (93)
8 Bill Mata (51)

Substitutes: 16 David Cherry (11), 17 Allan Dell (56), 18 Simon Berghan (61), 19 Fraser McKenzie (107), 20 Luke Crosbie (21), 21 Nathan Fowles (67), 22 Simon Hickey (14), 23 Juan Pablo Socino (13)

Unavailable due to injury: Pietro Ceccarelli, Rory Sutherland, Lewis Carmichael, John Barclay, Magnus Bradbury, Senitiki Nayalo, Luke Hamilton, Matt Scott, Mark Bennett, Damien Hoyland

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:18 pm

MONTPELLIER

• 15. Frans Steyn, 
  • 14. Timoci Nagusa, 
  • 13. Arthur Vincent, 
  • 12. Jan Serfontein, 
  • 11. Henry Immelman, 
  • 10. Johan Goosen, 
  • 9. Ruan Pienaar, 
  • 1. Grégory Fichten, 
  • 2. Bismarck Du Plessis, 
  • 3. Jannie Du Plessis, 
  • 4. Nico Janse van Rensburg, 
  • 5. Jacques Du Plessis, 
  • 6. Fulgence Ouedraogo, 
  • 7. Yacouba Camara, 
  • 8. Louis Picamoles (c).

Replacements:

• 16. Vincent Giudicelli, 
  • 17. Usha Tcheisvhili, 
  • 18. Levan Chilachava, 
  • 19. Kelian Galletier, 
  • 20. Yvan Reilhac, 
  • 21. Benoit Paillaugue, 
  • 22. Vincent Martin, 
  • 23. Paul Willemse

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm

Ticket sales are looking decent - bottom tier of the east stand is sold out as are 3 sections of the top tier, with another 2 sections getting there. I reckon we could get 10k plus.

The press release above is hinting at a record breaking pool stage attendance which from memory was the last pool game LI at home in 2012 when we got almost 11k.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Thu 17 Jan 2019, 12:46 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Ticket sales are looking decent - bottom tier of the east stand is sold out as are 3 sections of the top tier, with another 2 sections getting there. I reckon we could get 10k plus.

The press release above is hinting at a record breaking pool stage attendance which from memory was the last pool game LI at home in 2012 when we got almost 11k.

I'd have to say that if you cant get at least 11k for this game there is something wrong with rugby supporters in Edinburgh. OK, no / few opposition supporters, but you will get some Glasgow fans coming through to swell the crowd.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hazel Sapling Thu 17 Jan 2019, 2:37 pm

demosthenes wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Ticket sales are looking decent - bottom tier of the east stand is sold out as are 3 sections of the top tier, with another 2 sections getting there. I reckon we could get 10k plus.

I'd have to say that if you cant get at least 11k for this game there is something wrong with rugby supporters in Edinburgh.  OK, no / few opposition supporters, but you will get some Glasgow fans coming through to swell the crowd.

This is a great chance to get people back to Mini-Murrayfield next year. This is where every school needs to be given £1 tickets for every kid and £5 for the adult with them.

Hazel Sapling

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu 17 Jan 2019, 2:46 pm

A different preview of the game

On top of the moon

Nothing to do with me.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 17 Jan 2019, 3:38 pm

Yup, bookies have us a favourites because mathematically we are. We’re at home, we’re on a winning run, Monty don’t have a great away record.

But, any team with Bismarck and Yannie Du Plessis along with Picamoles and Pienaar can’t be taken lightly.

In fact I think Monty have even more Saffas than we do!!!

Gonna be a belter and had the game been on a sat night instead of Friday, I think we’d have been looking at 15K plus for the crowd!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:06 pm

The nerves/excitement are starting to build. I normally only feel like this on 6N days!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:09 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:The nerves/excitement are starting to build. I normally only feel like this on 6N days!

Same.  I just hope this doesn't end up the same way most 6n days do.

The stats from the link I posted above really aren't helping:

The home side have a pretty sensational record against French clubs at Murrayfield. Over the last decade Edinburgh have taken on French opposition 14 times in European pool stages and won 13 of those matches.

Montpellier have tended not to travel well in the Champions Cup. Their only win in their last 13 away matches in the tournament came last season when Glasgow’s indiscipline let the French side of the hook at Scotstoun.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Fri 18 Jan 2019, 12:57 pm

EWT Spoons wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:The nerves/excitement are starting to build. I normally only feel like this on 6N days!

Same.  I just hope this doesn't end up the same way most 6n days do.

The stats from the link I posted above really aren't helping:

The home side have a pretty sensational record against French clubs at Murrayfield. Over the last decade Edinburgh have taken on French opposition 14 times in European pool stages and won 13 of those matches.

Montpellier have tended not to travel well in the Champions Cup. Their only win in their last 13 away matches in the tournament came last season when Glasgow’s indiscipline let the French side of the hook at Scotstoun.

Thats why the bookies have us as favourites.

But we've all seen what happens when you make a scottish anything a favourite!

We're just not happy eh! If folk were talking us down saying we didnt stand a chance, we'd all be going "away ye go and boil yer heid, we may be wee but we are mighty, we'll show you who is boss here" but we're being talked up and we're all going "ahhh now just calm down there, don't go saying we're the best thing since sliced bread, it's sport, anything can happen, lets just hold yer horses"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:27 pm

Updates on tonight's game appreciated guys.

I am sitting in Milan Airport atm waiting for flight back to Stansted at 21.30 (here), so hope to follow the first half before we take off.

Will have to wait till we land to get the result!

Would be nice to know that Glasgow are qualified before I get home tonight!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eejit Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:32 pm

Right luvvies, in the name of all that is good in this world could you please fight against your natural predisposition to c0ck everything up and just win tonight to put us through. I know it's asking a lot with you being Scotland's second team but you can do it, maybe, sort of.

Please.

Into the pillow fort I go.

Eejit

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:42 pm

Jeez it feels strange having weegies supporting Edinburgh...

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:45 pm

Don't get used to it!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:46 pm

Decent crowd

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:47 pm

C'Mon the limp-wristed sherry snafflers. Hug

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:48 pm

Some huge collisions already!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 7:55 pm

Edinburgh scrum dominating. Montpelllier really targeting Pyrgos.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:00 pm

Solid Edinburgh start - get a lineout near their line but struggle to get anywhere. 

3-0 Edinburgh from a ruck offside.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:01 pm

Sounds like an arm wrestle atm

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:03 pm

Dean makes a great break from a Mata offload but we don't commit enough to the ruck - criminal.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:03 pm

BigGee wrote:Sounds like an arm wrestle atm
Very much so but we have all possession

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:04 pm

Easy 3 points with Montpellier backs offside 6-0

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

Is good, keep building the lead. They may lose interest on a cold night if it goes out a lot

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:10 pm

VDM looking dangerous but Montpellier scrambling well.

Montpellier have a bit of possession but Edinburgh defence holding up.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:13 pm

High shot from Mata leads to a scrap and Montpellier kick into our 22

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:14 pm

Knock on on our 5m relieves pressure

Edinburgh scrum penalty really relieves pressure!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:16 pm

Those Do Plesis brothers clearly overrated!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:17 pm

Nel is eating them alive

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:18 pm

Hopefully we are going to see Nel in his pomp this 6N

Its been to long

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

Watson off - huge blow
 Maybe HIA?

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:20 pm

Bad bad bad Watson off injured!

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:21 pm

Looks like an arm

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:21 pm

What happend?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:22 pm

Innocuous tackle - hard to tell

Another scrum pen! Nel and Schoeman causing carnage

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Fri 18 Jan 2019, 8:23 pm

VDW misses - could have done with that

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next