The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

+19
RDW
wayne
LordDowlais
Welshmushroom
TightHEAD
VinceWLB
demosthenes
BigGee
Cardiff Dave
carpet baboon
Eejit
PhilBB
munkian
maestegmafia
Valleyboy
Luckless Pedestrian
Brendan
Pot Hale
mikey_dragon
23 posters

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 9 Empty Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by Stone Motif Sun 30 Dec 2018, 11:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

RiscaGame wrote:A good win for Dragons. Wonder if George North might get banned this week for more shethousery. Guy is turning into a dirty get down there.

Wasn’t too convinced by the subs we made, but they turned out to be wise choices. That includes Tovey steadying the ship and kicking the winner and surprisingly Suter being solid in the scrum.
It's an amazing win given the Ospreys dominance. If they'd have made the right calls our luck would have run out I think.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by mikey_dragon Tue 11 Jun 2019, 7:35 pm

Rate Robson, glad he’s staying with us and not going away to Glaws. In the next year or two we should also perhaps look at giving Scragg game time in the senior team to see if he’s hard enough.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 9 Empty Re: Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan

Post by RiscaGame Tue 11 Jun 2019, 8:51 pm

I’m not fussed about Robson really, but then he’s only really third choice.
Edwards I like and he should’ve played more last season, especially given what we ended up doing with Sage.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 12 Jun 2019, 10:12 am

Best side:
Williams, Rosser, Warren, Dixon, Hewitt, Davies, Williams, Brown, Dee, Bevington, Hill, Screech, Wainwright, Moriarty , Griffiths

Hibbard, Jarvis, Harris, Nansen, Benjamin, Knoyle, Lewis, Morgan

Probably our best ever side pound for pound. Shame they'll never play much.

In window:

Williams, Rosser, Warren, Dixon, Hewitt, Davies, Williams, Jarvis, Hibbard, Bevington, Davies, Screech, Evans, Basham, Griffiths

Lawrence, Fairbrother, Harris, Williams, Benjamin, Knoyle, Lewis, Morgan

Long story short our tight five gets marmalised in window when we should be mugging teams. Bench impact minimal other than Benjamin/Morgan.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 12 Jun 2019, 10:29 am

Look about right to me.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 12 Jun 2019, 10:33 am

Yeah Connor Edwards was solid.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 12 Jun 2019, 3:33 pm

Basham or Shanks over Benjamin, or if we had another decent lock add him to the bench with Hill or Nansen moving to 6. We need another lock. It still looks like a decent team on paper but that doesn’t count for much. Need to play to our strengths which is the breakdown and getting it wide fast. Hopefully Brown doesn’t get injured and can kick on.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 13 Jun 2019, 3:16 pm

Dragons have apparently signed Griffiths (a youngish centre) from Saracens and a back up 9 of some description.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 13 Jun 2019, 3:41 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Dragons have apparently signed Griffiths (a youngish centre) from Saracens and a back up 9 of some description.

‘of some description’! Laugh Welcome to the world of bargain basement pro rugby shopping, a la The Dragons! Wales

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Thu 13 Jun 2019, 4:48 pm

Don't know Griffiths, quick Google says he's been p7ssing about at London Scottish/playing 7s but then we are talking about a club with ridiculous depth. Guessing outside centre?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 13 Jun 2019, 6:38 pm

The Oracle wrote:
RiscaGame wrote:Dragons have apparently signed Griffiths (a youngish centre) from Saracens and a back up 9 of some description.

‘of some description’! Laugh  Welcome to the world of bargain basement pro rugby shopping, a la The Dragons! Wales

Depressing. Straight outta the Jackman shopping list.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 14 Jun 2019, 12:53 am

The Oracle wrote:

‘of some description’! Laugh  Welcome to the world of bargain basement pro rugby shopping, a la The Dragons! Wales

Wait and see. Maybe he’s worthy of a back up 9, when other Rhodri wasn’t too bad?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 14 Jun 2019, 8:33 am

RiscaGame wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

Wait and see. Maybe he’s worthy of a back up 9, when other Rhodri wasn’t too bad?
It's Rhys Webb innit. Part of a WRU conspiracy to end Aled Davies reign of terror before the World Cup.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2019, 1:20 pm

RiscaGame wrote:
The Oracle wrote:

I was just having a bit of fun Smile

Other teams buy scrum halves with a good pedigree, maybe won some silverware, someone who will add something. I just liked your wording 'of some description', like he could be a 2nd row who can pass OK so we've signed him as a back up scrum half!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 14 Jun 2019, 1:23 pm

I also maybe musunderstood your post - were you saying we've signed Griffiths the centre AND we've signed a back up 9 of some description (that's what I assumed), or that we've signed Griffiths who is a centre but also a back up 9???

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 15 Jun 2019, 1:05 am

The former. Signed two players apparently. The 9 is a 9, but haven’t got a name sorry.

Worst rumours ever ha.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sat 15 Jun 2019, 8:33 am

RiscaGame wrote:The former. Signed two players apparently. The 9 is a 9, but haven’t got a name sorry.

Worst rumours ever ha.

Where's Habberfield going?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sun 16 Jun 2019, 12:41 am

I am not sure it’s him, but that would be great.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2019, 7:57 pm

Brok has re-signed (important use of the hyphen there Smile ). Good news.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

The Oracle wrote:Brok has re-signed (important use of the hyphen there Smile ). Good news.

See I'm not so sure, I know we're not even in the marketplace as far as buying in front five quality goes but he's got his limitations. Hope we're not spending too much.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Dragons Season Thread - 2019/20 aka Year 1 of the new 5 Year Plan - Page 9 Empty Ra

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2019, 10:18 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:Brok has re-signed (important use of the hyphen there Smile ). Good news.

See I'm not so sure, I know we're not even in the marketplace as far as buying in front five quality goes but he's got his limitations. Hope we're not spending too much.

I know he’s not ‘world class’ but I think he’s been one of our best scrummaging options for the past few years so, for the money (and without knowing what money that is. I’m guessing not a huge amount. And I’m basing this on the money being the same rather than an improved contract - surely not at his age?), I see this re-signing as less risky than signing someone from outside on around the same money who could a) not settle and b) not be very good (or both). So Brok is perhaps a safer option as someone who is already integrated in the club, knows the systems, we know his strengths and limitations.... he can just get on with the job albeit in a non-stellar, non-amazing way. Just solid I guess. Or to put it another way, if he didn’t sign we’d be taking a punt on an new prop not already snapped up by a club for the same salary as Brok (so a bit average probably), and our history shows that probably 1 in 5 average/bargain basement players actually turns out any good!

Off on a tangent a bit, but what I’d really like to see is Leon Brown kick on and fulfil the early promise shown. Had a few injuries but if fit and firing, and well coached, I think he could be great for us.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Sun 16 Jun 2019, 10:45 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I know he’s not ‘world class’ but I think he’s been one of our best scrummaging options for the past few years so, for the money (and without knowing what money that is. I’m guessing not a huge amount. And I’m basing this on the money being the same rather than an improved contract - surely not at his age?), I see this re-signing as less risky than signing someone from outside on around the same money who could a) not settle and b) not be very good (or both). So Brok is perhaps a safer option as someone who is already integrated in the club, knows the systems, we know his strengths and limitations.... he can just get on with the job albeit in a non-stellar, non-amazing way. Just solid I guess. Or to put it another way, if he didn’t sign we’d be taking a punt on an new prop not already snapped up by a club for the same salary as Brok (so a bit average probably), and our history shows that probably 1 in 5 average/bargain basement players actually turns out any good!

Off on a tangent a bit, but what I’d really like to see is Leon Brown kick on and fulfil the early promise shown. Had a few injuries but if fit and firing, and well coached, I think he could be great for us.

I take the point he may be the best we can afford. Do wonder what they're paying Domachawski at the Blues as I write that mind.

Did you pick up the bit about an initial short term deal? Could either mean we are hoping to pick up a replacement after the world cup or there are some injury concerns. Probably the latter.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 17 Jun 2019, 8:58 am

Stone Motif wrote:
The Oracle wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

I take the point he may be the best we can afford. Do wonder what they're paying Domachawski at the Blues as I write that mind.

Did you pick up the bit about an initial short term deal? Could either mean we are hoping to pick up a replacement after the world cup or there are some injury concerns. Probably the latter.

No I didn't see that bit. Only saw the Twitter post so didn't see any details. Yes a bit worrying if only a short term deal unless there's someone else on the horizon.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 20 Jun 2019, 9:04 pm

Tom Griffiths signing now official. The centre form Sarries. Even made the beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/48711189

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 20 Jun 2019, 10:47 pm

Big fast lad, got a good step. Hopefully will do well

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Jun 2019, 3:01 am

Did well to complete that one, given that Ospreys were apparently interested too (according to the Rugby Paper).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2019, 11:33 am

Not seen much of him, there didn’t seem to be many videos online of him playing either.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 12:22 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Did well to complete that one, given that Ospreys were apparently interested too (according to the Rugby Paper).

See, I'm hoping that this is the Dean Ryan factor. I know he's not a stellar signing as DoR but he's been in and around the top end of the English game for a long time, has lots of fingers in lots of pies and he's a bit of a name (although not the biggest). So I like to think that this signing came off because of Ryan and his links to England the club game there. Not sure Griffiths would have signed for Jackman or Kingsley, and might have chosen Ospreys just for the relative status of the two clubs. So hopefully he can convince others to choose us over Welsh rivals.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Jun 2019, 1:47 pm

Fingers crossed. I did see that Ceri had done a lot of the work, but I think Ryan is quite a decisive factor definitely.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2019, 4:36 pm

Looking like the two of them might forge a decent coaching team?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 6:25 pm

I wouldn’t be against Ceri staying on as head coach with Ryan as DoR. Has Jones’ role been announced yet?!

The Dragons’ form and wins certainly improved under Jones with very little turnaround time and we got a few welsh derby wins under him. A few hammerings too though! He’s worked with Ryan at Worcester too and Ryan gave Jones his break in coaching I think, so I think its fairly likely Jones will be kept in his current role, unless I’ve missed something in the press.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 21 Jun 2019, 6:37 pm

Yeah Jones has done really well all things considered, and he wasn’t afraid of trying new things. I would prefer if he stayed on in some major capacity.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 6:45 pm

I think Ryan was the big name head honcho role they were talking about. Can’t see another big name coming in under him now. Doubt we could afford a top head coach as well as Ryan.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Jun 2019, 7:39 pm

I think I remember Chris Kirwan saying Jones would revert back to his forwards’ coach role. To be honest, because Ryan is involved with the board and that, it makes sense to have him as DOR and Jones remain Head Coach.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:08 pm

Yep I agree. Unless they’re thinking that Ryan can be DoR and head coach at the same time to save on two salaries, and Jones will be on a smaller supporting coach salary. That’d be sad if so. Would much prefer Ryan DoR, Jones head coach but perhaps with a remit for forwards too (if that can be combined) and then the other specialist coaches like backs and skills, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:11 pm

Ceri Jones is still a young guy, maybe if Steve Tandy had of had a mentor as commendable as Dean Ryan we might have had better luck with him.

I really hope that Ryan, Jones and their team of coaches can get the potential out of the Dragons next season

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 21 Jun 2019, 8:27 pm

Genuine WTF moment reading the article on Tom Griffiths in the Argus, some guy commented that 13 is our problem position. Love to know the thought process behind that one. Probably thinks we need to get it wide fast and target the breakdown too.

Anyway big lump, apparently fast, can play 12, it's another hybrid back/forward inside centre, good acquisition.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 21 Jun 2019, 9:01 pm

Forgot to read the comments Very Happy

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Fri 21 Jun 2019, 10:30 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Forgot to read the comments Very Happy
You should - there was I thinking our most consistent player and our highest ceiling athlete in the backs both play outside centre, thank god this genius was there to disabuse me
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 22 Jun 2019, 11:51 am

Lucky you ha.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:14 pm

Looks like Nansen is only going to the world cup if someone else gets injured.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 24 Jun 2019, 12:48 pm

Good news really. Hope he manages to stay fit. I am sure he is disappointed, so hopefully he will feel like he has a point to prove, even if the Samoa coach probably doesn't watch Dragons too often.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 30 Jun 2019, 5:47 pm

Apparently the Dragons are going to get more cash from the WRU...!

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/welsh-region-extra-funding-rugby-16509076

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Sun 30 Jun 2019, 5:54 pm

Good. Isn’t Nehaz Chaparro available after the World Cup? Wink

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 01 Jul 2019, 10:02 am

Did anybody read The Rugby Paper, about it? That Wail article didn't say much and then just said read the full article in TRP. It's not very clear what money we are getting.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 01 Jul 2019, 11:02 am

RiscaGame wrote:Did anybody read The Rugby Paper, about it? That Wail article didn't say much and then just said read the full article in TRP. It's not very clear what money we are getting.

Can’t find it to read it. I had a look but no luck

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 01 Jul 2019, 11:10 am

So all in all, a sh!t bit of 'journalism' from the Fail. At least with their usual clickbait stuff there's something at the end of it!

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Mon 01 Jul 2019, 12:19 pm

RiscaGame wrote:Did anybody read The Rugby Paper, about it? That Wail article didn't say much and then just said read the full article in TRP. It's not very clear what money we are getting.

My guess is this relates to the redevelopment - what other 'unexpected hits' would they have had? It's a sod of a site, which is why all this land grab/sell it for housing stuff was ever nonsense.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 03 Jul 2019, 8:30 pm

Got an email from Dean Ryan the other day. I must be on the Dragons distribution list. Here’s what he had to say, for those who didn’t get one:

“I’d like to thank everyone for the warm welcome I’ve received since it was announced I was joining Dragons.  It is a hugely exciting opportunity to create a new story with the players and staff here at the Dragons and personally for me to be back competing again with this team is a challenge I will relish.

Today is officially my first day with the Dragons, although over the last month I’ve been meeting and listening to coaches, players and management to build up my understanding.

There’s a proud rugby history in Gwent and a passionate support base, but we must face up to some of the complex challenges we have here. We need to be brave enough to make the right decisions to build something different that ensures we make it a truly special place to be a part of the Dragons in the future.
We all want success as soon as possible for the Dragons, but we must move our decision-making to what’s right for the region over the longer term and it’s going to be my responsibility to ensure we get the balance right between the here and now and where we want to get to in the future.

We started back in pre-season training in early June as preparations begin towards achieving our ambitions, with new players integrating into our squad. Equally pleasing is seeing the dozen players that have committed their future by signing contract renewals.

The players and I need your continued unwavering support over the coming season as I’ve seen what impact on previous visits the passionate backing can have here at Rodney Parade and it’s important that we all get behind the team as we look to move forward.

Enjoy your summer and I hope to see you at Rodney Parade this coming season.

Best wishes

Dean Ryan, Director, Dragons Rugby”

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Wed 03 Jul 2019, 11:49 pm

Yeah I had one too. Good to see him at YM now anyway.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Thu 04 Jul 2019, 7:48 am

Email off the Dragons saying that league fixtures are out this month. That seems pretty early, considering that the season is starting a bit later. Pleasantly surprised.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 20  Next