The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Team of the Week

+15
Mr Bounce
LordDowlais
Rugby Fan
IanBru
Geordie
lostinwales
tigertattie
TightHEAD
maestegmafia
EST
LondonTiger
Poorfour
BigTrevsbigmac
TJ
No 7&1/2
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Team of the Week - Page 2 Empty Team of the Week

Post by No 7&1/2 Tue 05 Feb 2019, 6:56 am

First topic message reminder :

I always enjoy Guscotts ramblings for the BBC in a painful, out of touch, did he even play rugby way.
As there's been so little arguments and the forum is in such good spirits I thought this may bring back the true spirit of rugby I.e. arguing over selections. Jeremy's to kick it off:

1. Vunipola
2. George
3. Furlong
4.Ryan
5.Gilchrist
6. Wilson
7. Tipuric
8. Picamoles
9. Young
10.Farrell
11. Adams
12. Tuilagi
13. Slade
14. May
15. Hogg.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Team of the Week - Page 2 Empty Re: Team of the Week

Post by BamBam Mon 18 Mar 2019, 9:48 am

If only Kruis really did have more physicality in the carry than Ryan, he'd basically be the complete lock

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 Mar 2019, 10:09 am

A few players Guscott has picked that I wouldn't have:-

Kruis, Sinckler and George, not for me thanks, I would have picked Thomos Francis, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Cory Hill or Adam Beard. I would swap Johnny May for Huget, and Picamoles for Ross Moriarty.

I would have swapped Cain Healy for Vanipola, the rest are pretty safe calls.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 18 Mar 2019, 10:20 am

Well Guscott picked a token Scot, Finn Russell, who I guess it was hard to argue with. A few others could have been in the mix as well.

Darcy Graham showed what potential he has and took both his tries very well.

Sam Johnson was good all game, making some great tackles and scored what I think was the try of the championship.

Magnus Bradbury outplayed Billy Vanipola and piy in a massive shift.

Ali Price had probably his best game for Scotland as well.

I am not saying they should all be in the team, but they were worthy of being in the discussion. Anyway we know what JG feelings are about Scottish players!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 18 Mar 2019, 10:21 am

Well that would have been more guscott like than the actual guy.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:11 am

BigGee wrote:Well Guscott picked a token Scot, Finn Russell, who I guess it was hard to argue with. A few others could have been in the mix as well.

Darcy Graham showed what potential he has and took both his tries very well.

Sam Johnson was good all game, making some great tackles and scored what I think was the try of the championship.

Magnus Bradbury outplayed Billy Vanipola and piy in a massive shift.

Ali Price had probably his best game for Scotland as well.

I am not saying they should all be in the team, but they were worthy of being in the discussion. Anyway we know what JG feelings are about Scottish players!

Note it was team of the tournament that Guscott picked - not team of the week.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:18 am

LordDowlais wrote:A few players Guscott has picked that I wouldn't have:-

Kruis, Sinckler and George, not for me thanks, I would have picked Thomos Francis, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Cory Hill or Adam Beard. I would swap Johnny May for Huget, and Picamoles for Ross Moriarty.

Kruis was England's best player in the championship and played every game, unlike Hill or Beard. Francis was solid but Sinckler was phenomenal. George was below his best but Ghiraldini was not good. Picamoles being included is a tad perverse and Moriarty certainly did what he does to a good enough standard to be considered.

Omitting the leading try scorer for the flaky Huget seems perverse, but including Mako despite missing most of the tournament seems weird.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:20 am

Mind you, team of the Tournament was Wales Very Happy

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:36 am

LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, team of the Tournament was Wales Very Happy

They were.
They were efficient, driven and whilst not wholly flamboyant, were incredibly effective. Very strong mentally.

That's what win tournaments and world cups.

Ironically, that would have described Ireland before this 6n.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:46 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:Mind you, team of the Tournament was Wales Very Happy

They were.
They were efficient, driven and whilst not wholly flamboyant, were incredibly effective. Very strong mentally.

That's what win tournaments and world cups.

Ironically, that would have described Ireland before this 6n.

Very true, yet Wales are still 10/1 to win the RWC, the WRU should ship the Cardiff crowd out their for free.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 18 Mar 2019, 11:58 am

Not a bad bet at 10/1 Tighthead!

If they can keep that organisation level etc no team would want to meet them.

I can see Ireland sorting their game out aswell...and hopefully England can sort their mental issues out...

The NH could make a real challenge for the WC this year.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:22 pm

LondonTiger wrote:

Kruis was England's best player in the championship and played every game, unlike Hill or Beard. Francis was solid but Sinckler was phenomenal. George was below his best but Ghiraldini was not good. Picamoles being included is a tad perverse and Moriarty certainly did what he does to a good enough standard to be considered.

Omitting the leading try scorer for the flaky Huget seems perverse, but including Mako despite missing most of the tournament seems weird.

Kruis might have been England's best player, but he was not the best lock of the 6N. All the Welsh one's were better, so were the Scottish boys. Sinckler was not phenomenal, he got found out against Wales and was given the shepherds crook. Huget was one of the best players for a very bad French team. Ghiraldini was very easily Italy's best player, and Vanipola was awesome against Ireland.

Strange that yet again you come on here to pick my opinions apart. chin

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:27 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Kruis might have been England's best player, but he was not the best lock of the 6N. All the Welsh one's were better, so were the Scottish boys. Sinckler was not phenomenal, he got found out against Wales and was given the shepherds crook. Huget was one of the best players for a very bad French team. Ghiraldini was very easily Italy's best player, and Vanipola was awesome against Ireland.

Huget scored good tries but went missing in defense and also seemed to think that passing was optional. He caused as many problems for France as he did the opposition. As for Sinckler you are completely focused on the last 5 minutes of his match against Wales. He has been terrific for most of this tournament and will be a mainstay for England for years if he can dodge injuries.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:28 pm

LordDowlais wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:

Why don't you agree to disagree. Lord is never going to accept an English player in great form in the team.

Stop wasting good AWJ appreciation time!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:30 pm

May has been excellent in Englands campaign but one thing I can't fathom out.

Both he and Farrell failed to catch McInally when he scored from the charge down. Surely if May has devistating straight line speed, he should have been able to catch the Scotland hooker!!!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:32 pm

McInally deserves a lot of credit for that - he picked that exact second that May was diving to make the tackle to suddenly change his running line, which made May look very silly indeed, and he almost got in Farrell's way too with his dive

If it wasn't done at that exact time, May would have carried on running and caught him, or have have been able to change his own running line

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

Sinckler was class. Personally my top 3 English players were curry may then sinckler. Curry would be my choice of player of the tournament but it'll be Jones given Wales won.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:36 pm

No 7&1/2 wrote:Sinckler was class. Personally my top 3 English players were curry may then sinckler. Curry would be my choice of player of the tournament but it'll be Jones given Wales won.

Agreed. Curry really is some player

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:37 pm

LD,

I merely disagree with your point and opinion expressed in that post. TBH I had not even looked at who the poster was, just that I disagreed, and this is most certainly not a "yet again" scenario. There are more important things in my life. 

I do not accept either Huget or Ghiraldini were the best players in their team and even if they were, by your own argument against Kruis there were better players in other teams.

Vunipola should not be in the team of the whole tournament as he did not play in most of it. After all we are not talking about selecting a Lions Team, or even the team of the best players but those who performed the best across the entire tournament.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:38 pm

lostinwales wrote:
No 7&1/2 wrote:Sinckler was class. Personally my top 3 English players were curry may then sinckler. Curry would be my choice of player of the tournament but it'll be Jones given Wales won.

Agreed. Curry really is some player

That he is, thankfully the media are leaving him alone seeing as he is a forward, they are still transfixed about Big Joe.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 18 Mar 2019, 3:40 pm

Curry was exceptionally good, England have unearthed a gem in that player.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2