The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union

+9
lostinwales
Ricardo74
Geordie
BamBam
SecretFly
rodders
LondonTiger
munkian
maestegmafia
13 posters

Go down

Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union Empty Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union

Post by maestegmafia Wed 20 Feb 2019, 10:48 am

This week Eddie shines brought in John Terry former England and Chelsea FC captain to inspire the England squad.

Which non rugby union Sporting Personality from your nation do you think would be most likely to inspire your team to victory...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union Empty Re: Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union

Post by munkian Wed 20 Feb 2019, 10:56 am

maestegmafia wrote:This week Eddie shines brought in John Terry former England and Chelsea FC captain to inspire the England squad.

Which non rugby union Sporting Personality from your nation do you think would be most likely to inspire your team to victory...?

Geraint Thomas

Richard Parkes (He's now non rugby)

Gareth Bale

Calzaghe

Helen Jenkins
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union Empty Re: Who’s your countries Potentially best motivational speaker from outside Rugby Union

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:02 am

Worst I have ever seen was Ellen MacArthur - brought in to give a talk about teamwork she was all me, me, me. I know she sailed round the world single handed, but surely there was a support team who deserved a mention?

Matthew Pinsent is a guy who speaks well and has a good story to tell.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:04 am

munkian wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:This week Eddie shines brought in John Terry former England and Chelsea FC captain to inspire the England squad.

Geraint Thomas

Richard Parkes (He's now non rugby)

Gareth Bale

Calzaghe

Helen Jenkins

Agree with top two, would be excellent.

Bale and Calzaghe have achieved a lot but have never struck me as guys who would be particularly good speakers. Never heard Helen Jenkins speak, but her achievements are outstanding.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:10 am

Has to be Bono or Liam Neeson.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:13 am

rodders wrote:Has to be Bono or Liam Neeson.

Which non rugby union Sporting Personality from your nation Doh

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:14 am

While Liam Neeson may be from the spin-off off MMA that uses a cosh and targets specific groups, Bono has never looked especially sporty.

maestegmafia wrote:Which non rugby union Sporting Personality from your nation do you think would be most likely to inspire your team to victory...?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:22 am

It's gotta be Bono or willie O'Dea.....

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:25 am

Reading the opening post is apparently optional for our Irish posters...
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:31 am

Theresa May is inspiring, shows leadership and is an excellent speaker. Think she'd be grand

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:32 am

Okay, okay.... don't get cocky. Michael D Higgins or Daniel O'Donnell then. And if they're still not good enough for this joint then I'll throw in a Sporting candidate too.... Conor McGregor...... but sure he can't even sing.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:37 am

Good call on Michael D Higgins. Presumably, a rousing leitmotif written by Howard Shore would strike up behind him. Perfect man to give a speech before marching in to Mordor ermmmm, I mean, playing a test match...

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:38 am

If I were English, I choose Michael Caine. I kinda usually laugh and snigger at motivational speeches and books.... so if you're going to be asked to sit listening to someone spoof for an hour or so at least get an enjoyable person. Michael Caine, old school movie star, naturally funny, great at telling a yarn, self effacing. To hell with the motivational stuff... just entertain the players.
NO!!!!!! I do not mean getting the gingerbread crooner in!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:42 am

Perfect for post-match celebrations as well. Loves a beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pwJqPPL9qE

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:43 am

That's why the kids absolutely love him, miaow. And the funny thing is that he once met Gandalf at some public event in England, or was it even in Wales? Anyway, l'll bet McKellen was having a sense of deja vu and a little private laugh - life imitating art.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:44 am

SecretFly wrote:If I were English, I choose Michael Caine.  I kinda usually laugh and snigger at motivational speeches and books.... so if you're going to be asked to sit listening to someone spoof for an hour or so at least get an enjoyable person.  Michael Caine, old school movie star, naturally funny, great at telling a yarn, self effacing.  To hell with the motivational stuff... just entertain the players.  
NO!!!!!!  I do not mean getting the gingerbread crooner in!

And one of the great centerbacks of the war era alongside Pele, Russell Osman, Ossie Ardilles, John Wark and that world class goalkeeper from the US. Wink

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo74 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

For the English:

* Michael Bisping - First English UFC Champion
* Hollie Webb - Ladies hockey captain, and Olympic gold medallist
* Chris Eubank - all round legend Smile

Ricardo74

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:00 pm

If Greg Davies' anecdote about Eubank's motivational speaking is anything to go by...not sure he's the best option...

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:03 pm

What was the anecdote? Did Eubanks do readings from Shakespeare?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:03 pm

Brilliant, Liam Neesan is a great call, he’d put the fear of god into the team

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:05 pm

Ireland - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHc2YwdgIog

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo74 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:What was the anecdote?   Did Eubanks do readings from Shakespeare?  

Seconded - I haven't heard this one

Ricardo74

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:08 pm

Neeson also does conform to the rules, in that he played hurling for his town.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:11 pm

Ricardo74 wrote:
SecretFly wrote:What was the anecdote?   Did Eubanks do readings from Shakespeare?  

Seconded - I haven't heard this one

Greg Davies - Magnifecent Beast (2018) wrote:When I was still teaching, we had a guest speaker come to the school. It was the ex-World Champion boxer Chris Eubank. You may recognize him. Okay. Okay, I’m just gonna explain something to people who don’t realize. There are some people in this room who think I can’t do a good Chris Eubank impression. Those people are about to be proved extremely wrong. Chris came in, and he spoke to the children for– ready? Three and a half hours. Three and a half hours of… “Yes, the thing is… The thing is… when I was a pugilist… I would apply myself with the vigor of a lion.” He was amazing, you know. He walked up and down the front like this. The kids were sat out as you are. He walked up and down for three and a half hours going, “It doesn’t matter what you decide you want to be… You want to be an architect or whatever it is that you desire…” But he had a little trick up his sleeve. He’d written some poems. Original poems, which is interesting. And this is how he delivered them. “You must… Sometimes I would train for 12 to 14 hours. And when you decide what it is you want to do, I would urge you to remember this… always look at the man in the mirror and ask what you want him to be. ‘Cause the man in the mirror is not just you. The man in the mirror is me.” And as this lady will testify to, it scared the Poopie out of the children. Admittedly, Chris’ tits weren’t as sweaty as mine. And unlike me… Chris didn’t inhale your hair.

Of course may not be that one

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:13 pm

It deserves the video to give the full 'flavour': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJVpZdf464

Worth a watch when not in work. Also, could probably do a job in the Welsh lineout.

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:16 pm

I don't know who to be more concerned about there .... intense Chris Eubank or Greg Davies with the tits and hair inhaling!

This might call for Liam Neesan night crawling activity.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:20 pm

I think the England team should hire Conor Mcgregor as a consultant on how to align your levels of success to directly correlate with how odious a person you are or become.

I feel they are lagging behind a bit behind standards set by previous great England's sides such as Woodward's or the significantly high bar that former greats such as Jeremy Guscott set and have managed to maintain. Mike Tindall is trying hard to carry the torch but he was never really that good a player so the foundations below his smugness are quite weak.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo74 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:27 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:I think the England team should hire Conor Mcgregor as a consultant on how to align your levels of success to directly correlate with how odious a person you are or become.

I feel they are lagging behind a bit behind standards set by previous great England's sides such as Woodward's or the significantly high bar that former greats such as Jeremy Guscott set and have managed to maintain. Mike Tindall is trying hard to carry the torch but he was never really that good a player so the foundations below his smugness are quite weak.

To be fair, there was a period where McGregor's mouth and his ability to back it up were pretty much aligned.

It was only after that he went a bit Guscott!

Back on topic, Ian Botham and / or Freddie Flintoff are probably decent shouts.

Ricardo74

Back to top Go down

Post by Ricardo74 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:29 pm

miaow wrote:It deserves the video to give the full 'flavour': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJVpZdf464

Worth a watch when not in work. Also, could probably do a job in the Welsh lineout.

Brill, ta. Will check it out later!

Ricardo74

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:32 pm

Was the Woodward England side really that unlikable at the time? I mean Woodward himself isn't the most charming person, but that team doesn't really seem to have the type of characters who would really get under anyone's skin

I suppose Neil Back is strongly disliked by some of the Irish, but other than that they were a decent bunch. Other than Danny Grewcock I suppose, but its not his fault he's better than all 2nd rows the Welsh have been able to field in the professional era

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:34 pm

miaow wrote:It deserves the video to give the full 'flavour': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YJVpZdf464

I was about to be critical of your assumption that just because he was a Davies he must be Welsh, as he always comes across as rater English to me. But then I looked up the story of his birth.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:35 pm

Jake Ballsack would batter Danny Grewcock

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 20 Feb 2019, 12:42 pm

miaow wrote:Jake Ballsack would batter Danny Grewcock

Surely the Ballsack provides the batter for the Grewcock to distribute?

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

Greg Davies does the worst Eubank impression. Sounds like Nelson Mandela.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:10 pm

BamBam wrote:Was the Woodward England side really that unlikable at the time? I mean Woodward himself isn't the most charming person, but that team doesn't really seem to have the type of characters who would really get under anyone's skin

I suppose Neil Back is strongly disliked by some of the Irish, but other than that they were a decent bunch. Other than Danny Grewcock I suppose, but its not his fault he's better than all 2nd rows the Welsh have been able to field in the professional era

No they weren't really. It was meant as a back handed compliment. The England side aren't that dislikable even though they are pretty good now.

I like Woodward myself despite his flaws. Guscott is a fair bit harder to warm to. I have no issue at all with Back. Grewcock was just a bit of a head case, every team has them.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:12 pm

Ricardo74 wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:I think the England team should hire Conor Mcgregor as a consultant on how to align your levels of success to directly correlate with how odious a person you are or become.

To be fair, there was a period where McGregor's mouth and his ability to back it up were pretty much aligned.

I think it may at some point be reveled the complete extent of how nasty a person he is. I hope so.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:16 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:
Ricardo74 wrote:

I think it may at some point be reveled the complete extent of how nasty a person he is. I hope so.

Botham or Flintoff?
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:18 pm

Ha, they're lovely fellows.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:31 pm

SecretFly wrote:Neeson also does conform to the rules, in that he played hurling for his town.

Decent amateur boxer too.

If he wasn't available, Shamus from WWE would do.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:34 pm

rodders wrote:
Collapse2005 wrote:
Ricardo74 wrote:

Botham or Flintoff?  

Maybe add Gazza to the list and make a night of it?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 20 Feb 2019, 1:44 pm

Folks - we've removed a few Liam Neeson comments from this friend. I'm sure nothing malicious was meant by them but in a public forum we cannot allow these comments to be made - we will always err on the side of caution for these kind of things so hopefully you understand our reasons.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 20 Feb 2019, 2:04 pm

BamBam wrote:Was the Woodward England side really that unlikable at the time? I mean Woodward himself isn't the most charming person, but that team doesn't really seem to have the type of characters who would really get under anyone's skin

Yes they were! For childish reasons mainly I expect. And only certain players, but by extension that led to a dislike of the team. I think it was the plummy accents and public school boy air that a number of the players gave off, even if they weren’t actually from that. Similar to the furore currently around the leaders/politicians of this country such as Boris and Rees-Mogg. Posh boys living privileged lives, or the air of it. I think this was at the height of the ‘arrogant’ era, where the Engllish in general were just referred to as arrogant for no good reason (well, maybe sometimes it was deserved!). Johnson, Dawson, Dallaglio, Moody, Wilko (to a lesser extent), Lewsey, Greenwood (although he’d go on to be some sort of stand up comedian/presenter so views on him probbaly softerned) - all from the same team and often perceived in that same mould.

This all seems to have died down a bit in recent times though. Maybe as they’re not winning as much? People tend to end up hating the teams that win a lot. Happened to the Welsh when they had a decent period recently too. I can see it in patches with Ireland now too. Maybe it’s because the English squad seems much more diverse now? Although reading a recent interview with, I think, Genge - there are still lots of barriers (not sure if real or perceived) to participation at the highest level for players from outside the ‘elite’. But I’m going off on a tangent now.....

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 20 Feb 2019, 3:11 pm

You can't have Bono as a motivational speaker as he can't handle hecklers.

Bono - "Every time I click my fingers" ..... (clicks fingers once every two seconds) ..... "a child in Africa dies"

Random in the crowd - "Well stop clicking your fingers then"
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed 20 Feb 2019, 9:35 pm

I think it might be that Bono is just too miserable to pay hecklers. We all know they get paid by the best comedians .... oops! - maybe some of you didn't know that. Well you do now. I pay Marty to heckle Lord D.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 21 Feb 2019, 12:39 pm

I read that Wales squad were lucky enough to be given a rousing performance of the new play about Wales, Lions and Llanelli legend Ray Gravell. Hope that was inspirational enough to equip them for this daunting prospect on Saturday

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu 21 Feb 2019, 1:13 pm

maestegmafia wrote:I read that Wales squad were lucky enough to be given a rousing performance of the new play about Wales, Lions and Llanelli legend Ray Gravell. Hope that was inspirational enough to equip them for this daunting prospect on Saturday

I'm not Welsh but I can't say "Gravell" without doing so in a Welsh accent.

It's like Eddie Butler saying any of the French Players names
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down