The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

One Day Cup

+9
king_carlos
Gooseberry
Corporalhumblebucket
Nathaniel Jacobs
JDizzle
wisden
Afro
LondonTiger
jimbohammers
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

One Day Cup Empty One Day Cup

Post by jimbohammers Tue 16 Apr 2019, 5:21 am

2 county championship games in (1 for some!) and we're into the One Day Cup...

Winners?
Team to watch?
Player to watch?

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

One Day Cup Empty Re: One Day Cup

Post by jimbohammers Tue 16 Apr 2019, 5:24 am

Winners? Hampshire to defend (no bias intended Wink)
Team to watch? Worcestershire
Player to watch? Pat Brown

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 16 Apr 2019, 5:26 am

Starts tomorrow at 11am...

Durham vs Northants
Lancashire vs Worcestershire
Yorkshire vs Leicestershire
Glamorgan vs Essex
Gloucestershire vs Surrey
Kent vs Hampshire (1pm start)

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Apr 2019, 12:26 pm

A few one sided games in this round of matches. At Headingley the hosts put on a big total against a pretty average looking Leicestershire attack. Cosgrove needed a big score if the visitors were even to get close. Once he went they crumbled to a pretty innocuous looking Pillans.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Wed 17 Apr 2019, 1:06 pm

Big score by Yorkshire, Leicestershire never getting anywhere that.
A shock as Gloucestershire beat Surrey and bowl them out for just 88. A very strong looking Surrey team as well.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Wed 17 Apr 2019, 3:53 pm

It was a good start for Leicestershire too, knocking over the top 3 for bugger all.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Thu 18 Apr 2019, 4:02 am

Fair point. I meant after the Yorkshire batting innings they never stood a chance.

Meanwhile great to see Mason Crane back in action, from the little bits i saw on sky it was a mixed bag (to be expected 1st game in 10 months), with the odd beauty in there.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:04 pm

Nice straight forward win for Somerset today. Hopefully the start to the season is an indication for the rest of the summer
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by wisden Fri 19 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

We are chasing a huge 367 to beat middlesex, however Chopra giving us a hell of a chance!

wisden

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri 19 Apr 2019, 2:04 pm

Another hundred for Joe Clarke today, 139 (99). Started with a bang.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathaniel Jacobs Sat 20 Apr 2019, 5:38 am

James Pattinson showed his class yesterday taking 5-61 in a 400 vs 400 batsmen’s playground at Trent Bridge. Think he’s a certainty for the Ashes

Nathaniel Jacobs

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 23 Apr 2019, 12:09 pm

Liam Dawson is a proper underrated player. Should be in the England squad over Denly IMO

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 23 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

Warwickshire's poor start to the season looks set to continue with Notts well on top in that one.

Surrey/Essex looks a close one. Essex need 138 off the last 20 overs but are a couple of wickets away from the tail/bowlers

Gloucestershire easing to a win against Kent.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Corporalhumblebucket Tue 23 Apr 2019, 2:36 pm

Very comfortable wins for Notts, Hants and Gloucs today. And in the end Essex came up fairly well short against Surrey.

Corporalhumblebucket

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Tue 23 Apr 2019, 3:25 pm

Good to see Plunketts responded to all my criticism ( cough ) and took 4 for 50 to really win that for Surrey. Bad news for elsewhere for England with Pope and Roy going off injured

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Wed 24 Apr 2019, 4:58 pm

One who maybe shouldve been on the one to watch list, Saqib Mahmood. He took quite few wickets in the Lions limited overs game this winter and has followed that up big time in the RLC.
6/37 today to take him to 13 wickets in 4 games.
Runs for Hameed and Jennings too which is encouraging if not entirely meaningful.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 26 Apr 2019, 10:13 am

James Vince with a 190 off 154 balls. Proper class. Came in at 1-1 and one stage were 65-4. Some knock

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 27 Apr 2019, 5:23 am

Yet another tie for Yorkshire, to add to a 1 run defeat that makes 3 tight games in a row.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 28 Apr 2019, 6:59 am

Saqib Mahmood with 4-8 off 6 for Lancs - he is a talent.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sun 28 Apr 2019, 9:56 am

And is quite mad that Sam Hain averages 55+ in List A cricket and hasn’t been mentioned as a potential England player!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 28 Apr 2019, 4:37 pm

Honestly didn't think he was English!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 30 Apr 2019, 6:48 pm

Great win for Sussex against Essex today. 94-6 chasing 284 to win and they managed it with 1 ball left!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed 01 May 2019, 12:46 pm

Sam Robson must have enjoyed his century for Middlesex today. He's played 145 first class games and only 16 list A prior to this game with Somerset - that Middlesex are about to win by a mile.

Recent Lions mainstay Nick Gubbins pounded 90 from only 59 balls as well.

It sounds like Toby Roland-Jones is slowly but surely rediscovering his rhythm as well.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 May 2019, 5:36 am

JDizzle wrote:And is quite mad that Sam Hain averages 55+ in List A cricket and hasn’t been mentioned as a potential England player!

He was with the Lions over the winter, so the selectors are aware.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu 02 May 2019, 6:09 am

LondonTiger wrote:
JDizzle wrote:And is quite mad that Sam Hain averages 55+ in List A cricket and hasn’t been mentioned as a potential England player!

He was with the Lions over the winter, so the selectors are aware.

Yeah, it was more a comment based on the Hales thing - when Vince is touted as the obvious replacement, and you have Denly already in the squad, the fact Hain’s name isn’t being shouted from every rooftop is odd to me.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 02 May 2019, 8:55 am

jimbohammers wrote:Honestly didn't think he was English!

Im not sure how English being born in Hong Kong and learning your cricket in Aus makes you...but hes more qualified than Archer.

Mamhood was on that Lions tour too, and took a good number of wickets. Hes the leading wicket taker so far in this years RLC. He and Hain surely have to be in the frame post world cup, regardless of how things go its likely a number of younger players will get capped in the next series and the multi format stars who havent retired given a rest.

Goodlemans the leading run scorer this year and another with a very healthy career average in List A whilst remaining extremly low key as a jobbing county player. Being 30 though he isn't likely to ever get capped now regardless.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Sun 05 May 2019, 2:55 pm

Hampshire win 6 of our 7 games giving us a home semi final.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 05 May 2019, 3:24 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Hampshire win 6 of our 7 games giving us a home semi final.

Jimbo - I was impressed by Hants when they trounced a poor Surrey outfit at the Oval last week. Dawson's ton and wickets stood out most of all but Markram also caught my eye. His knock of 80 odd up top held your innings together and, along with Dawson, he significantly contributed to you posting a winning total. I see he's been in the runs since then as well. I also liked Alsop's captaincy, particularly his control of the bowling changes.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 06 May 2019, 4:30 am

Morning Guildford, yeah our team just seems to suit this form of the game, we seem to have all bases covered. A top 6 of Alsop, Markram, Vince, Northeast, Roussow and Dawson is bloody strong. Dawson is a very underrated cricketer in my opinion, have a look at his bowling stats in this years comp, his economy is comfortably less than 5. Markram has been a great overseas signing for us , unfortunately yesterday was his last game as he's off to join up with South Africa. Vince was actually our captain vs you guys and the last 3 games it's been Northeast. Alsop has had another good time in this comp though, with 2 centuries opening the batting.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 06 May 2019, 5:02 am

Hi Jimbo - yes, that was my mistake on the captaincy. It was a good job done in that role by Vince against Surrey. As you say, your team seems well suited to the RL 50 game. Dawson, in particular. I actually said to a friend during the game at the Oval that he might not be good enough at international level but he's too good at county level!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 10 May 2019, 1:03 pm

Watching Lancashire demolish the Middlesex batting order makes me think Anderson could still do a job for England at this upcoming World Cup, if only he were open to doing so. Equally, I think this young Mahmood fellow could do a job for England in the future.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 May 2019, 2:40 pm

James Harris and John Simpson are making quite a game of this!

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 May 2019, 3:02 pm

That's a great innings by Harris ended by sharp work from Vilas behind the stumps.

It was looking like a drubbing for Middlesex before Harris pulled that century out the bag.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Fri 10 May 2019, 3:21 pm

Commentators curse from me as Simpson went straight after Harris to a good bit of fielding by Jimmy Anderson. Middlesex innings is stuttering from there, sadly not looking like an exciting finish now.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 13 May 2019, 11:49 am

Hampshire vs Somerset final it is then..

Should be a good game!

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 13 May 2019, 6:48 pm

jimbohammers wrote:Hampshire vs Somerset final it is then..

Should be a good game!

Jimbo - deserved finalists as well from what I've seen and read.

As we've both said before, Hants are a fine team in the 50 over format. However, I suspect you need to be ready for a real scrap coming up. What especially caught my eye in Somerset's semi against Notts was the Overton brothers putting on 47 for the 9th wicket in exactly 5 overs and ensuring they used their full allocation of 50. Given how much they ended up winning by, you could say that was irrelevant. However, it must have been like a kick in the guts to Notts at the time.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 14 May 2019, 10:06 am

Yeah Guildford i agree, Somerset a very good side in the shorter form of the game, led well by Gregory who i rate highly.
Doesn't look like we'll have Vince available and Markram has gone to join up With South Africa so that's 2 big losses to our side.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Mon 20 May 2019, 12:16 pm

Big loss for Hampshire as it looks like Vince won't be able to play the final on Saturday. Seems a bit ridiculous to me.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Tue 21 May 2019, 4:59 am

Confirmed that Vince and Dawson won't be allowed to play on Saturday as they'll be carrying drinks in a world cup warm up game against Australia. Ridiculous.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 May 2019, 5:38 am

jimbohammers wrote:Confirmed that Vince and Dawson won't be allowed to play on Saturday as they'll be carrying drinks in a world cup warm up game against Australia. Ridiculous.

That is appalling. I hope Hants members and supporters forcibly tell the club what they they think of that decision and get the club to convey those thoughts to the ECB.

As I've flagged before - particularly to Duty - it does show the ECB's attitude and approach being geared totally towards winning this year's World Cup without caring a jot as to 50 over cricket in the domestic game now or even internationally in the future (with 50 over county games planned to be a ''developmental'' competition from next season).

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 21 May 2019, 5:43 am

Whilst its obviously a boost to our chances of winning, it is ridiculous and casts a shadow over the final tbh.

If you are going to win, you want to have beaten the best teams. You don't want any excuses that you have only beaten a weakened side
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 21 May 2019, 5:56 am

jimbohammers wrote:Confirmed that Vince and Dawson won't be allowed to play on Saturday as they'll be carrying drinks in a world cup warm up game against Australia. Ridiculous.

To be fair, they might actually play...

If not it is ridiculous - but we'll see come Saturday of course
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Tue 21 May 2019, 6:01 am

You'd expect Dawson to play at least one of the games, if not both, due to his lack of games up til now.

But other than that, you would expect them to be playing as close to the first XI as possible in order to make sure they stay match sharp
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 21 May 2019, 7:44 am

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:

To be fair, they might actually play...

If not it is ridiculous - but we'll see come Saturday of course

They might well play as I've read on another thread that it's not a proper recognised ODI and we can play all 15 of the squad if we want. I'll leave others to decide if that makes it more ridiculous or not!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbohammers Fri 24 May 2019, 3:58 am

All a bit of a farce in my opinion, a high pressured final or a world cup warm up game. Sigh.

Oh well it will be interesting to see who replaces them. My best guess is that Weatherley will replace Vince and all rounder spinner Brad Taylor will come in for Dawson.

Alsop
Donald
Weatherley
Northeast
Rossouw
Taylor
Berg
Fuller
Abbott
Crane
Edwards

And hope for the best.

Afro, how will Somerset line up? Gregory and C.Overton worry me.

jimbohammers

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Fri 24 May 2019, 5:04 am

I reckon we will be unchanged from the Notts game. We have hardly changed throughout the comp tbh. So

Banton
Azhar
Trego
Hildreth
Abell
Bartlett
Gregory
van der Merwe
Overton C
Overton J
Davey

I think you hit the nail with Craig Overton been on good form with bat and ball. Gregory been more important with the bat than ball in the ODC, but taking plenty in the CC.

A decent handful of the batsmen have scored runs, with no one real stand out and no one scoring at a frightening rate.
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 24 May 2019, 5:23 am

ECB were willing for them to play, but the ICC said no. The rules around the WC state that after the deadline date for squad submission, earlier this week, players selected are not allowed to play in any other competition. Allegedly to prevent host countries getting an unfair advantage.

So for Vince and Dawson it was a choice RL final or World Cup squad. ECB could have held the final last weekend I guess.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Sat 25 May 2019, 10:23 am

Right. Happy so far....
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sat 25 May 2019, 11:06 am

Afro wrote:Right. Happy so far....

Really don't want to hex you , Afro (Somerset being my second team) but it looks from the BBC scorecard as if you're going to cruise this...

Been a while since you've won this one , I think ?

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro Sat 25 May 2019, 11:12 am

Tom Banton is going to be some player. Prediction...in the next or two he will take Banger’s place in the 4 day side and then in the next 2 years he’ll open in a test for England
Afro
Afro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum