The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

+28
chickp
Heuer27
WELL-PAST-IT
Shifty
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mikey_dragon
funnyExiledScot
NeilyBroon
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
hugehandoff
reallybored
propdavid_london
EST
LordDowlais
bsando
Anglobraveheart
tigertattie
Tramptastic
profitius
demosthenes
maestegmafia
George Carlin
LondonTiger
EWT Spoons
jimbopip
RDW
32 posters

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 Empty Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by BigGee Tue 27 Aug 2019 - 21:39

First topic message reminder :

So after a mixed bag in the first two games, we now face a difficult away trip to Tiblisi followed 6 days later by hosting the same team at home at Murrayfield.

With the travelling involved, a 6 hour flight apparently, as well as a Georgian team with a lot to prove playing in front of a crowd of 50,000, this ill no doubt be a serious test and an indication of what playing in a hostile environment in unpleasant conditions will be like. A dress rehersal for the Japan game in many ways.

So who does he play first up?

The squad is being finalised after the away game, but you would imagine that he is not going to want to waste any spaces on players that he has already made his mind up about.

He certainly is not going to risk any injured players, so that rules out Thompson, Skinner, Seymour for sure, along with the possibity of Taylor, Bradbury, Gray and we are not sure if Brown and Johnson will be fit either.

I am going to assume that none of them are ready to travel and have a stab at a team along these lines:

1. Reid
2. McInally
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gilchrist
5. Cummings
6. Wilson
7. Ritchie
8. Fagerson M
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Graham
12. Hutchinson
13. Jones
14. Maitland
15. Kinghorn

Subs
Berghan
Turner
Nel
Toolis
Barclay
Price
Horne P
Harris

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by 123456789. Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 7:49

Two fly halves for every game isn’t that much of an ask. I suspect the plan will be for Russell to start Ireland, Samoa and Japan. With a view to Hastings to cover the last 30-40 mins against Samoa and play the full 80 against Russia.
In a squad of 31, most positions will be covered only by two players. Finn Russell is so crucial to us that he’ll play three from four games.

Back to top Go down

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 Empty Re: Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September

Post by Heuer27 Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 8:06

In important games, Townsend has asked Russell to play the full 80. As such, I think he will take Horne to give Russell a break before we hopefully reach the knockout stages.
Both our tens will be marked men and I think it is a big ask to have them play every game at this level. Especially as Russell will play a minimum of 60 mins per game. Every other position has a spare man who will be fully rested, barring flyhalf, if we only take two players who can play there. Laidlaw is not the answer imo.

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 8:21

Heuer27 wrote:In important games, Townsend has asked Russell to play the full 80. As such, I think he will take Horne to give Russell a break before we hopefully reach the knockout stages.
Both our tens will be marked men and I think it is a big ask to have them play every game at this level. Especially as Russell will play a minimum of 60 mins per game. Every other position has a spare man who will be fully rested, barring flyhalf, if we only take two players who can play there. Laidlaw is not the answer imo.

Neither is Horne!

Hastings is the only other player we have got who plays FH regularly and with any kind of authority. Yes FR will play the bulk of the important games but what happens if he gets a knock and has to go off or worst we lose him to an injury.

I get that Hastings is still green and far from the finished article but he is surely our only alternate to FR. I will be watching from behind the sofa if Pete Horne is starting at FH in any of our major games.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 8:29

Agreed that Hastings will be our back up 10 and should play the whole Russia game. Picking Horne over Hastings in the squad would be spectacular even by toonie tombola standards!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:03

Mark Palmer reporting that some players who don't make the squad will be picked to play on Friday.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:18

Alistair Reid in the Times suggesting that Toonie will stick with the Hybrid lock strategy that he had Skinner earmarked for. He thinks he will take Thompson in that role now.

That would mean a straight shoot out between Cummings and Toolis for the 3rd pure second row option.

He also thinks Stewart has a shout over Turner and their is a genuine FH conundrum between Hastings and Horne.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:19

RDW wrote:Mark Palmer reporting that some players who don't make the squad will be picked to play on Friday.

That probably does make some sense as there are bound to be some injuries along the way.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:25

BigGee wrote:Alistair Reid in the Times suggesting that Toonie will stick with the Hybrid lock strategy that he had Skinner earmarked for. He thinks he will take Thompson in that role now.

That would mean a straight shoot out between Cummings and Toolis for the 3rd pure second row option.

He also thinks Stewart has a shout over Turner and their is a genuine FH conundrum between Hastings and Horne.

Shocked

And not just for the incorrect use of their!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:39

Ah, the grammar police are up early this morning!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:47

BigGee wrote:Ah, the grammar police are up early this morning!

They never sleep.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 18:56

Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 Theivrre-take-that-grammar-police-32537673

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 19:15

This would be my squad, who knows what Toonie will pick - i'm getting very nervous about all this chat of Pete Horne and only three locks.

1. Dell, Reid
2. McInally, Brown, Stewart
3. Nel, Fagerson, Berghan
4/5. Gray, Gilchrist, Toolis, Cummings
6. Barclay, Wilson
7. Watson, Ritchie
8. Thomson, Fagerson

9. Laidlaw, Horne, Price
10. Russell, Hastings
12. Johnson, Taylor
13. Hutchinson, Jones
11/14. Maitland, Seymour, Graham
15. Hogg

Main selection dilemma around Bradbury, Fagerson and Thomson - to be honest, I'd be happy with any of them going and they each bring something different to the table, selection based on the fact that we have seen Blade and Fagerson Jnr play. Jones just about makes it into my squad, although he has a lot to prove. I feel slightly sorry for him, as on the weekend the game had pretty much lost any structure, although that being said he didn't look to enthusiastic.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 19:43

If Horne lines up at 10 even against Russia then I’m off. I get too emotionally invested in rugby and I’m not letting Horne (or Toonie) give me a man early cardiac arrest!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 19:51

RDW wrote:Mark Palmer reporting that some players who don't make the squad will be picked to play on Friday.
All of them I would think.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 19:56

It will be interesting to see how Townsend approaches Friday. On one hand it's not ideal that we've not put out our strongest team yet in prepartion for Ireland, but then again there is a risk of doing that and picking up injuries. It's also not ideal yet that we don't know our best back row or centre combo!

There are some players that need gametime though and if Brown, Gray and Bradbury are fit they should play. Thomson too given he only got a half and Taylor definitely needs gametime.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:10

RDW wrote:It will be interesting to see how Townsend approaches Friday. On one hand it's not ideal that we've not put out our strongest team yet in prepartion for Ireland, but then again there is a risk of doing that and picking up injuries. It's also not ideal yet that we don't know our best back row or centre combo!

There are some players that need gametime though and if Brown, Gray and Bradbury are fit they should play. Thomson too given he only got a half and Taylor definitely needs gametime.

I agree, we really should know our first team by now and have given them a hit out together - don't know about anybody else, but the whole prep seems a bit all over the place...although i'm sure Toonie has some sort of master plan.

I know we are in a different place to Wales, but I like how Gatland has gone about these warm-ups - first team getting two run outs and then one match to pick the remained of the squad.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:12

Yeah I have wondered if Townsend has been too 'fair' in giving numerous players a chance. Saying that, our first XV has been by no means nailed down so he probably needed to see them all in action!

I can imagine the coaches have had lots of long meetings debating all this.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:13

For Friday I fancy we might see something along these lines

1. Reid
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray J
5. Cummings
6. Bradbury
7. Ritchie
8. Thompson
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Seymour
12. Taylor
13. Jones
14. McGugain
15. Kinghorn

Subs

Dell
Turner
Berghan
Toolis
Wilson
Price
Horne P
Harris

That would give those that need a run out the game time and protect those that need a rest, while keeping some of squad keen should any opportunities arise.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:17

I like your team Biggee. I did try selecting my own team but my head nearly imploded trying to work out what to do with the backs!

I would start Ali P though - he's going to play a key role in the WC whether starting or off the bench and I don't think he's really found his rhythm yet. Horne should get at least 20 minutes and not just the last 5.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:25

It certainly makes it easier to pick knowing we can still use the whole squad!

I still think Georgie boy may be the better bench option if Laidlaw, as looks likely, is going to be the starter

He really has not had much of a crack yet

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:29

BigGee wrote:For Friday I fancy we might see something along these lines

1. Reid
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray J
5. Cummings
6. Bradbury
7. Ritchie
8. Thompson
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Seymour
12. Taylor
13. Jones
14. McGugain
15. Kinghorn

Subs

Dell
Turner
Berghan
Toolis
Wilson
Price
Horne P
Harris

That would give those that need a run out the game time and protect those that need a rest, while keeping some of squad keen should any opportunities arise.

I like the look of the BigGee

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:37

I would love to see this back-row get a run around at some point.

6 - Ritchie
7 - Watson
8 - Bradbury

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:37

EST wrote:
BigGee wrote:For Friday I fancy we might see something along these lines

1. Reid
2. Brown
3. Fagerson Z
4. Gray J
5. Cummings
6. Bradbury
7. Ritchie
8. Thompson
9. Horne G
10. Hastings
11. Seymour
12. Taylor
13. Jones
14. McGugain
15. Kinghorn

Subs

Dell
Turner
Berghan
Toolis
Wilson
Price
Horne P
Harris

I like the look of the BigGee
Me too. Handsome feller.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:50

Why don't I just pick the squad and the team!

Everyone seems happy!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 20:56

I think we might see the following WC squad:

LH: Dell, Reid (I think Bhatti should go instead of Reid)
hooker: McInally, Brown, Turner/Stewart (genuinely can't decide)
TH: Nel, Berghan, Fagerson

Locks: Gray, Cummings, Toolis, Gilco

BR: Watson, Wilson*, Thomson, Barclay, Fagerson

SH: Laidlaw, Price, Horne
FH: Hasting Russell, Horne**

Centres: Taylor, Johnson, Jones, Harris***
Back 3: Hogg, Graham, Maitland, Seymour, Kinghorn

* i wouldn't pick Wilson, but toonie loves him.   I think Bradbury should get his place, but he's not played at all and that could work against him, also in theory Wilson can play anywhere in the BR and that versatility might earn him his seat.

**As much as I don't think we should rely on P.Horne at 10, I can't see anyone other than Finn playing against Ire, Japan & Samoa, and as pointed out, we could play anyone against Russia and should still win.  Horne (P) has played more mins for Toonie than any other player (as national coach), there is no way he's not coming to Japan.

With regards to Turner & Stewart, Turner would be the obvious choice, but there was some kind of wrestling comp at Oriam and Stewart smashed it.  As well as being massively quick.  It'll likely be turner, but I wouldn't be shocked if Stewart got the nod as 3rd choice.

*** should probably be Hutchinson, but Harris is possibly better defensively.

Last edited by EWT Spoons on Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 21:06; edited 1 time in total

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 21:03

You have left out Russell!
Can't see that being controversial

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 21:06

Good spot, trying to look interested in a meeting whilst posting a WC squad has it's pitfalls.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 22:32

EWT Spoons wrote:I think we might see the following WC squad:

LH: Dell, Reid (I think Bhatti should go instead of Reid)
hooker: McInally, Brown, Turner/Stewart (genuinely can't decide)
TH: Nel, Berghan, Fagerson

Locks: Gray, Cummings, Toolis, Gilco

BR: Watson, Wilson*, Thomson, Barclay, Fagerson

SH: Laidlaw, Price, Horne
FH: Hasting Russell, Horne**

Centres: Taylor, Johnson, Jones, Harris***
Back 3: Hogg, Graham, Maitland, Seymour, Kinghorn

* i wouldn't pick Wilson, but toonie loves him.   I think Bradbury should get his place, but he's not played at all and that could work against him, also in theory Wilson can play anywhere in the BR and that versatility might earn him his seat.

**As much as I don't think we should rely on P.Horne at 10, I can't see anyone other than Finn playing against Ire, Japan & Samoa, and as pointed out, we could play anyone against Russia and should still win.  Horne (P) has played more mins for Toonie than any other player (as national coach), there is no way he's not coming to Japan.

With regards to Turner & Stewart, Turner would be the obvious choice, but there was some kind of wrestling comp at Oriam and Stewart smashed it.  As well as being massively quick.  It'll likely be turner, but I wouldn't be shocked if Stewart got the nod as 3rd choice.

*** should probably be Hutchinson, but Harris is possibly better defensively.

Spoons, I like your squad. Possibly, Hutchison instead of Harris in the centres. See how putting Furra in as a 10 frees up a space in the centres? Toonie might go full Tombola and put Harris in as a back three instead of King Blarehorn. Graham or NoMaits can cover full back and Toonie likes the idea of Harris as an Alan Tait versus Springboks type of winger.

I can't see Bradbury travelling if he's not fit.  The big choice will be four locks or six back rows, which may come down to Cummings or Thompson. I don't think Cummings could have done any more and Thompson's concussion in the French match must set off a few warning bells.

Fraser Brown Headscratch Is he fit? I think Grant Stewart will go as third hooker so it's Brown or Turner.

I re-watched the Georgia game and two things leapt out at me.

Firstly, Not A Pony never had a chance to do anything. As far as I could see, one pass with the defender standing on his toes as he received it. Anyone who has ever played outside of 12 will know how that feels. If Toonie goes with Furra at back-up 10 then Jones probably travels. Which in turn puts more pressure on Blarehorn.

Secondly, for Toolis' try; Frodo actually whipped the ball away from the ruck as fast as I've ever seen him do it, this gives dancer the gap to attack. Frodo then ran what DR calls an optimistic line and was in place to take the off-load. I know I joked about passing to a second row rather than trying to sprint to the line BUT he has obviously been learning from Alldi Price and Wee George. Top marks to Frodo. OK

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 22:41

I think what the last several weeks and everyone's take on the squad has shown is that there have been plenty places up for grabs and no one really knows what the squad will be!

I'm I right in saying the following are the only cast-iron completely assured picks?

1 - Dell
2 - McInally, Brown
3 - Nel, Fagerson, Berghan
4/5 - Gray, Gilchrist
6/8 - Wilson, Barclay (rightly or wrongly on Wilson, and I just can't see Barclay being left behind)
7 - Watson

9 - Laidlaw, Price (probably Horne too as can't see us taking 2 9s)
10 - Russell
12/13 - Johnson
Back 3 - Hogg, Maitland, Seymour, Graham

That's 20 out of 31, and 2 months ago we probably would have picked the same 20!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 22:57

Rugby Pass claiming to have the inside scoop that Bradbury, Fagerson, Strauss, Hutchinson and Jones are all set to miss out.

If that is the case I really dont' think it is a good idea leaving our 3 best ball carrying 8s at home!

Jones would be less of a surprise.

Last edited by RDW on Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:01; edited 1 time in total

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 22:59

I'm never convinced about taking players who are "making good progress" with injuries. So I'm not too sure that Brown is a cast-iron pick.

On Saturday John Barclay seemed to spend a lot of time on the left wing. Obviously this is one of Toonie's startegies; have the winger come into midfield and then have the flanker attack the space vacated if the defender goes with the winger, but while Hamish or Batman might attack the space at pace (ish) I'm not too convinced by Barcs out wide. So, is he cast iron?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:06

RDW wrote:Rugby Pass claiming to have the inside scoop that Bradbury, Fagerson, Strauss and Jones are all set to miss out.

If that is the case I really dont' think it is a good idea leaving our 3 best ball carrying 8s at home!

I think I'm more disappointed for Matt Fagerson than the other three.

However,

Bradbury has been injured and probably won't be fit. That's tough for him but he'll come to terms with it.

Bluto ends his Scotland career with a disappointment, which will be a bad way to leave.

Not A Pony... picard The whisper coming out of Glasgow was that he felt DR wasn't giving him a fair chance and he was for going to France but Toonie put the metaphorical arm around him and pointed out that his contract at Glasgow was longer than DR's and that Scotland needed him so he (Jones) should stay at Glasgow and things would work out in the long run. If he's left out then how does he come to terms with turning down big bucks in France (or even Leicester) to stick with Scotland?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:06

RDW wrote:Rugby Pass claiming to have the inside scoop that Bradbury, Fagerson, Strauss, Hutchinson and Jones are all set to miss out.

What exactly has Thomson done to justify selection ahead of Bradbury or Fagerson?

Expect to see Barclay, Watson & Wilson get over-powered by the Irish back-five, again.

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by chickp Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:09

jimbopip wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:I was impressed with Fagerson and Hutchinson last really. Both looked sharp and really motivated. Jones now has fierce competition at 13. His has been the poorest performance so far. All eyes on Duncan Taylor in the next game.

Lads, you'll need to forgive me for being dense, or more so than usual, but I was under the impression that the squad is announced before next week's game.

I think that in the centres we're either blessed or on a very sticky wicket...depending on whether your glass is half-full or half-empty.

Half-Empty
12 jersey
Taylor hasn't played in a year, except for a fairly blah performance in a thrashing against France.
Furra throws stupid interceptions and never really makes the step up to international level.
Sam Johnson, still relatively inexperienced at international level and has only played fifty minutes of the warm ups. hasn't really formed a partnership with any of the likely 13's.

13 jersey
Not A Pony  picard What a slow motion car-crash his season has been. Can't get a start for Glasgow. Couldn't buy a try at the moment. Seems anonymous when he does get on the pitch.
Hutchison     Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 4278589029 looks to have bags of potential but totally lacks experience of real test rugby. Looked very good against a Tier 2 side, but not quite so good against France at Murrayfield, yes France who have lost 384 games away from home in the last six months. Slight exaggeration but you know what I mean.
Harris has less experience than Johnson, and while Pony can't get into the Glasgow side...at least they are one of the best in the Pro 14 Harris can't get into the Newcastle side. Nuff said.

Half-full
12 jersey
Taylor, was in line to cover for Brad Barrett in the European Cup Final; that's how highly Sarries rate him and they don't make decisions based on anything but cold, objective facts. A phenomenally talented player.
Furra, DR rates him very highly and believes he could be Scotland's Ryan Crotty. Hard- working model professional. Marmite for Scotland fans.
Sam Johnson seemed to carry on in Tblisi from where he left off at Twickers: this is the man who made Alex Dunbar surplus to requirements at Scotstoun…. an immense talent.

13 jersey
Not A Pony has a poor scoring record against Tier 2 opposition and an unbelievable on against Tier 1 sides. Fact! (as Rafa Benitez would say). I think you have to go back to the days of Townsend or McGeachan, as players not coaches, before you find a Scottish centre with his try scoring ability. Seems to play his best rugby in the biggest Tests. On form he could light up a World Cup.
Hutchinson reminded me of  angel last night. So much ability and confidence in one so young. Surely he will have a stellar future in dark blue.
Harris, played well against a very good France side. Toonie knows a good centre when he sees one and he really rates him. Nuff said.

OK, so here goes...
Johnson and Taylor go at 12.
Not A Pony and Hutch go at 13.

But, Hogg, Maitland and Graham are nailed on as our starting back three. Seymour will go unless his concussion is worse than reported. Toonie may take Harris as back three cover rather than Blarehorn who really seems unable to take his decision making up another level when he plays for Scotland.

See Dunbar got a try for Brive at the weekend.  Didn't see any other aspects of the game but anticipated the pass, spotted the gap and finished with ease.  Hopefully he'll get his form back and enjoy his rugby again.

chickp

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:10

Seems bizarre to be picking players for Friday that won't be going to Japan. Firstly your head's all over the place. Having worked from June til August for a dream that's been snatched away from you, to then be asked to act as cannon fodder. It'd be a hard task to motivate yourself for that. Suppose the one factor is to show you should be first on the plane. That's without factoring in the coaches, can you imagine being a club coach who's seen his players get injured in a warm-up for a tournament they weren't even going to?

Strauss missing out is fair, I'd have thought Bradbury or Fagerson would have gone. But he's invested a lot of patience in Thomson, and Wilson is one of those bizarre players that coaches see something in that fans never do. Jones I'm disappointed about but not surprised. Fact is, if he'd kept his form he'd have been first pick for the plane if not the Lions. Not taking Rory Hutchinson or Huw Jones is simply insane. Harris is bang average at best, in terms of ability he's a distant third. In terms of form he's probably second. But if Townsend is picking on ability then Jones and Hutchinson go. If he's picking on form then Hutchinson has to travel. It is certainly baffling, it is hard to see what more Hutchinson could have done on Saturday. I think if this leak is true we're leaving behind potentially our two best number 8s and potentially our two best 13s.

It's worth saying that these leaks haven't been reported elsewhere and RugbyPass didn't know the Richie Gray story until late. If they have got a mole in the camp he has only recently surfaced.

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:24

RugbyPass also seem to be pretty poorly thought of by a number of rugby journalists/reporters. I wouldn't necessarily trust them

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:28

Yeah they don't normally get inside scoops, and they're bound to get lots of hits from a story like that so I'm sure there's an ulterior motive. Plus no one will remember/care in a few days time if they are wrong.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:28

reallybored wrote:
RDW wrote:Rugby Pass claiming to have the inside scoop that Bradbury, Fagerson, Strauss, Hutchinson and Jones are all set to miss out.

What exactly has Thomson done to justify selection ahead of Bradbury or Fagerson?

Expect to see Barclay, Watson & Wilson get over-powered by the Irish back-five, again.

Not saying I agree with this, but at a guess;

Bradbury - Thomson is fit and has played a part in the warmup games. No idea if Bradbury is even ready to return to play yet.
Fagerson - Thomson can apparently also play lock, which Fagerson can't.

It wouldn't be my choice to exclude those two, but I would guess that would be the rationale if they are left at home.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:34

I bloody hope they're wrong! We may as well write off making the quarters if that's the case!

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:48

Wouldn't write off the quarters. I'd like to think we could put our second side out against Japan and they'd sneak through. England played essentially a second string, experimental side against them in 2018 and managed to win fairly comfortably. We'll know more after they play South Africa this week. Apparently the scheduling has been favourable toward them and the world of rugby will be willing them on to success. But the only way I can see us losing is if we have an injury crisis in key positions (fly-half) or one of Scotland's special performances rears it's head. If Scotland contrive to lose to Japan we can put it in the special place along with USA 2018 (albeit largely a 2/3/4th choice side), Italy at home in 2015 and Tonga 2013. Most specifically the last one. Most of their players play for the Sunwolves who are pretty gash. If Glasgow or Edinburgh were to play them I would expect them to win comfortably. Ultimately the occasion and emotion will rise them probably to a level above what they have achieved before but our players should be professional enough to rise above that.

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:54

I have to say, it would be utterly bonkers to leave both Hutchie and Jones at home.

Hard to know what more Hutch could have done and Horne has hardly played well.

That would be a bizarre selection.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Mon 2 Sep 2019 - 23:59

The Thistle Rugby Podcast posted: "Hearing from some credible sources that Toony is going with Johnson, Taylor, Horne and Harris as his World Cup centres...Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 3754190863". Andy Nicol has Tommy Seymour missing out which would be extraordinary.

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:07

I really, really hope that most of that isn't true.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:07

123456789. wrote:The Thistle Rugby Podcast posted: "Hearing from some credible sources that Toony is going with Johnson, Taylor, Horne and Harris as his World Cup centres...Georgia Double Header - Scotlands last warm up games 31st August and 6th September - Page 6 3754190863". Andy Nicol has Tommy Seymour missing out which would be extraordinary.

That would be hugely disappointing if so.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:08

If true, that is ridiculous even for Toonie.
Why would you leave hutch for horne after how poorly the latter has been playing. Jones I get, Harris while he's average at least seems to be finding consistency and is playing better than Jones at the moment, much as it pains me to admit it.

Tommy Seymour missing out is ridiculous though. He's played well enough and is a better all rounder than Kinghorn. UNLESS he's an injury doubt.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:09

https://www.theoffsideline.com/rwc2019-winners-and-losers-from-the-toony-tombola/

I am sure a lot of this is speculation

Here is TOL selection, which is probably closer to what most of us would have picked.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:13

Heading into the WC with our deepest ever pool of midfield talent, and somehow we seem to be ending up with Horne and Harris on the plane.

Surely that can't be right?

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789. Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 0:35

I must stress that it was Andy Nicol who said that that. A man who’s made a career on banalities and blandness. I suspect he was employed in the mid 2000s because his punditry reflected Scotland’s playing style.
I’m going to keep quiet on the centres, I think it’s a terrible decision but it’s starting to upset me and I’m far too old for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 1:12

Aye andy nicol is a terrible pundit and generally seems clueless. In fact that triad of bbc pundits of jiffy, guscott and nicol are generally pretty awful. Although at least jiffy and guscott know their stuff a bit better.

I will remain neutral until tomorrow, then the outrage can begin.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue 3 Sep 2019 - 1:27

BigGee wrote:https://www.theoffsideline.com/rwc2019-winners-and-losers-from-the-toony-tombola/

I am sure a lot of this is speculation

Here is TOL selection, which is probably closer to what most of us would have picked.

I'd be happy with that selection.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 11, 12, 13  Next