The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wales RWC 2019 thread Number II

+27
lostinwales
JDizzle
Old Man
No 7&1/2
Collapse2005
Pal Joey
Taylorman
Blueschief
BamBam
Afro
maestegmafia
Luckless Pedestrian
chris_501
No9
Gooseberry
Heaf
Soul Requiem
rodders
Pie
LordDowlais
majesticimperialman
carpet baboon
RiscaGame
LondonTiger
quinsforever
TightHEAD
mikey_dragon
31 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Wales RWC 2019 thread Number II Empty Wales RWC 2019 thread Number II

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Sep 2019, 7:46 am

WALES’ 2019 RWC SQUAD:

Forwards: Jake Ball, Adam Beard, Rhys Carre, James Davies, Elliot Dee, Ryan Elias, Tomas Francis, Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones, Wyn Jones, Dillon Lewis, Ross Moriarty, Josh Navidi, Ken Owens, Aaron Shingler, Nicky Smith, Justin Tipuric, Aaron Wainwright.

Backs: Josh Adams, Hallam Amos, Dan Biggar, Aled Davies, Gareth Davies, Jonathan Davies, Leigh Halfpenny, George North, Hadleigh Parkes, Rhys Patchell, Owen Watkin, Liam Williams, Tomos Williams.

Pool D

AUSTRALIA, WALES, GEORGIA, FIJI, URUGUAY

Match 1

Australia vs Fiji... Sapporo Dome... Saturday, September 21... 5.45am BST... (ITV)

Match 2

Wales vs Georgia... City of Toyota Stadium... Monday, September 23... 11.15am BST... (ITV)

Match 3

Fiji vs Uruguay... Kamaishi Recovery Memorial Stadium... Wednesday, September 25... 6.15am BST... (ITV 4)

Match 4

Georgia vs Uruguay... Kumagaya Rugby Stadium... Sunday, September 29... 6.15am BST... (ITV)

Match 5

Australia vs Wales... Tokyo Stadium... Sunday, September 29... 8.45am BST... (ITV)

Match 6

Georgia vs Fiji... Hanazono Rugby Stadium... Thursday, October 3... 6.15am BST... (ITV 4)

Match 7

Australia vs Uruguay... Oita Stadium... Saturday, October 5... 6.15am BST... (ITV)

Match 8

Wales vs Fiji... Oita Stadium... Wednesday, October 9... 10.45am BST... (ITV)

Match 9

Australia vs Georgia... Shizuoka Stadium Ecopa... Friday, October 11... 11.15am BST... (ITV 4)

Match 10

Wales vs Uruguay... Kumamoto Stadium... Sunday, October 13... 9.15am BST... (ITV)

Last edited by maestegmafia on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Wales RWC 2019 thread Number II Empty Re: Wales RWC 2019 thread Number II

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:32 am

Just realised that we're playing on Monday... I hope we mostly do rest and analysis in the build-up to Australia!

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:49 am

There's a big gap in our schedule: 23rd Sept (Georgia), 29th Sept (Oz)....... 9th October (Fiji), 13th October (Uruguay). No excuses vs Fiji! A week and a half to rest after a likely bruising and full blooded encounter vs Oz.

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:04 am

Perhaps Gatland's way of preparing for the first two weeks was not to taper off the intense training during the warm-ups...

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:11 am

How much impact will Jones have on the backs?

Keep it simple and stick to the script or does Jones try and change things up, too late for that surely?
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:27 am

I'm not sure he's got enough time to make much impact. But if he can improve them slightly then every little helps! What we don't want is confusion and players caught between two systems. But I'm sure Gatland won't allow that to happen.

What is interesting is the rumor I heard that the players themselves asked or suggested that Stephen Jones be given the call, rather than being told that Jones had been called up. So they must hold him in high regard to request him, if that rumour is true. Obviously he was due to start as backs coach in a few weeks anyway so that might have swayed things (e.g. 'he might as well start early then. Give him a call!'). But it bodes well for the future that Jones is a guy the squad wants to work with.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Sep 2019, 12:21 pm

As Biggar said in the press conference he is really looking forward to having two ex world class flyhalves to chat things through with now that Wellies is coming out to Japan. So can only be a positive. As we know the scarlets have been playing some lovely attacking rugby over the last few years with Wellies as backs coach.

Can only help the transition to the future coaching regime as well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Wed 18 Sep 2019, 5:24 pm

am hoping wales do well. put the howley distraction behind them quickly, as its not a rugby issue.

there has never been a more open world cup. world rankings say it, and everyone knows it.

c'mon cymru. at least until you meet England Hug

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Thu 19 Sep 2019, 3:07 am

quinsforever wrote:am hoping wales do well. put the howley distraction behind them quickly, as its not a rugby issue.

there has never been a more open world cup. world rankings say it, and everyone knows it.

c'mon cymru. at least until you meet England Hug

Cheers Quins very good of you...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Sep 2019, 4:20 am

Paraphrasing tom Shanklin from 5Live earlier:

-> We have a great first team, but I am worried about the quality of the backups
-> Liam Williams is the star man for us and he has to play at full back
-> We have to score more tries. We won the Grand Slam without scoring tries but you cannot depend on just defence in a World Cup.

Not sure I can agree with the last point (up to others to discuss the first two) as generally knockout games get very tight. I would say to win the tournament you have to have a strong defence first and foremost.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2019, 5:14 am

LondonTiger wrote:Paraphrasing tom Shanklin from 5Live earlier:

-> We have a great first team, but I am worried about the quality of the backups
-> Liam Williams is the star man for us and he has to play at full back
-> We have to score more tries. We won the Grand Slam without scoring tries but you cannot depend on just defence in a World Cup.

Not sure I can agree with the last point (up to others to discuss the first two) as generally knockout games get very tight. I would say to win the tournament you have to have a strong defence first and foremost.

The players like Adams, North, Williams Davies and Parkes certainly have the ability to score tries, maybe the introduction of Wellies A’s backs coach will give more license to the backs. He worked with most of those lads as either a player or as a coach with Scarlets, they should be familiar with his attitude towards attack.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Fri 20 Sep 2019, 9:26 am

To be fair, our back ups aren’t bad. There is a drop in quality if we lost certain players like AWJ, Jon Davies and Tom Francis, but others aren't so bad.
Liam Williams is likely to start, but I wouldn’t be too worried if Halfpenny did (albeit Halfpenny hasn’t looked too convincing under the high ball at times).
I believe Wales will attack more. I think Gatland is smart enough to know it’s a different ball game to the Six Nations. That said, our defence was good enough to beat Australia last time.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2019, 9:38 am

I guess the team will be announced tomorrow morning. Going to be up early to see how the other match goes.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 20 Sep 2019, 5:07 pm

Weird position this for Wales.

Had Howley left 8-12 weeks ago it would have been really interesting - I'm a big believer in shaking things up, and think Wales' troubles (and recent successes) have been down to complacency and guaranteed positions in the side. Roberts, Lydiate etc.

The same goes for the coaches, but by now, Howley was so much part of the furniture, him leaving can only be seen as a major negative. However people want to spin it, you can't lose that much experience so close to the tournament without it messing up the whole system of the squad, not to mention the personal, mental side of things. The coaching staff all look pretty battered and bruised already.

In reality, we'll be lucky to see even 2 things Stephen Jones 'introduces' to the squad this tournament. It's like bringing in Tom Kerridge to cook Jamie Oliver's dishes - if you'll forgive the comparison of Howley to the most popular TV chef in the UK. All the little touches and knowledge will be missing.

Also, make no mistake that - for all Howley's faults - Wales have scored some fantastic set piece tries in the games that really matter. He's not useless. I'm thinking of North's try at Twickenham in 2016, Liam Williams' try v England in 2017, AWJ's try v NZ in 2016 which was repeated again v NZ in 2017 with the Lions and Faletau scoring. Scott Williams scoring against NZ in 2017. There have been some great backs moves from first phase or phaseplay that come straight from Howley, and the Lions players talked about some of the moves Wales have, and called them highy technical and skillful. Not least one where 'Tipuric kicks', according to Haskell.

The issue is, Wales do play 'Gatlandball', whch is very much not what EJ has England playing, which is all bang crash wallop, short sharp shock, long kicks and explosive runners off a playmaker.

Without Anscombe, we lose a big, big part of our instinctive, non-prescriptive gameplan, and the idea that Gatland 'wants' a conservative 10 is nonsense. He's had to choose Biggar because Priestland failed to make it mentally, and the likes of Sam Davies never stepped up. Hook of course was evidence that Gatland hated flair, but hopefully - finally - people can finally accept Stephen Jones was always the more 'creative attacking' 10 in that he brought people in to the game, and wasn't just a runner. Apart from pace and, so far, mentality, I think Patchell has all the same skills as SJ, but injuries have been cruel to him since 2017.

Anyway, losing Howley is less than ideal, but I'm still confident Wales have been putting everything in to the Australia game, and have the gameplan to do them over. In 2015 we absolutely battered them up front and it was scandalous we didn't finish them off when they were down to 13 men. That inability to finish tries is the negative part of Howley's legacy, and we can only the confidence is there to play, and that might be the biggest asset SJ brings.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 20 Sep 2019, 5:35 pm

An interesting and positive reflection on Wales prospects in Japan 2019 RWC

https://apple.news/ACFkdDdbeSQKijOxFggVQkw

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Sep 2019, 1:36 am

Welsh team for Georgia:

Liam Williams (Saracens); George North (Ospreys), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Hadleigh Parkes (Scarlets), Josh Adams (Cardiff Blues); Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints), Gareth Davies (Scarlets); Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Ken Owens (Scarlets), Tomas Francis (Exeter), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Alun Wyn Jones (capt, Ospreys), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Josh Navidi (Cardiff Blues).

Replacements: Nicky Smith (Ospreys), Elliot Dee (Dragons), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff Blues), Aaron Shingler (Scarlets), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), Tomos Williams (Cardiff Blues), Rhys Patchell (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Scarlets)

That's the strongest 15 we have now. Fair play to Wyn Jones, I did say in my long post this time last year that he wasn't far off the starting shirt, and in my opinion he's now earnt that, with Nicky Smith being a better impact sub than any of the other LH options, including Rob Evans, over the last 2 years.

The only other 'surprise' might be Navidi at 8 but I saw that coming as well. Think Gatland just wanted him on the field, and he'll do the 'Pocock at 8' job. The obvious issue in the side is carrying power, but I think we have that from the bench, not least from Dillon Lewis, Nicky, Moriarty, and Dee. There are some good punching carriers there, so if we lack them in the starting 15, we make up for it from the bench. Considering how Fiji are looking v Australia, we're going to need some carrying power in the team - more than we've shown so far, particularly against the Irish - but also defensive brutishness, and I think that's what we have in spades, and where Navidi, Moriarty etc. flourish.

Ball has to stay fit considering the lock situation, and it'll be interesting to see how Shingler goes - still looked rusty in the warm ups. It seems pretty clear, to me at least, that North will be asked to fill in at centre at some point if necessary. Possibly pushing JD2 to 12. But I suppose we can see Patchell there, although I wouldn't really like that.

Good team. Like to look of it. For this game, all important that we challenge in the scrum, but should be a nice warm up for Australia, who are getting softened up by the Fijians.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Sep 2019, 3:05 am

No great surprises in the wales selection. Wynn Jones is the best scrummaging looseheads and Georgia will definitely be pushing wales hard in the scrums..

I would imagine Gatland will be his tactically astute usual self and have the tactics prepared to negate Georgia, a strong running game might well be the move?

Not sure if I am surprised to see such a strong starting fifteen, I know that we were told that was the pre-world cup plan, but I thought we might have played a few back up players? I also thought we might see patch and Tomos starting at halfback.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 21 Sep 2019, 3:18 am

Good team. Glad we are starting as strong as possible. It’s important to get some momentum back and build up for next week.

It seems like Hill is fit for next week and Beard isn’t, so I assume Hill will go onto the bench for Shingler. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Smith start against Australia for another jackalling option, but Jones start against Fiji, where Gatland will probably tighten up (especially after seeing today’s game).

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Sep 2019, 3:19 am

Had Wales won 3 from 4 in the warm ups, maybe you'd see players rested, but I don't think so. There's enough of a break after the Aus and Fiji games to stagger playing time for key players. They need to be battle hardened for the Aussies, and Georgia shouldn't pose too many problems. A bit too much is made of rotating/resting players these days. We've got a much better draw than 2015, so unless we suffer similar injury problems, we should be ok. Even our back ups are good in most positions, the only real worry is losing AWJ, Ken, JD2, and Biggar. They're irreplacable at this stage.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 21 Sep 2019, 4:23 am

miaow wrote:Had Wales won 3 from 4 in the warm ups, maybe you'd see players rested, but I don't think so. There's enough of a break after the Aus and Fiji games to stagger playing time for key players. They need to be battle hardened for the Aussies, and Georgia shouldn't pose too many problems. A bit too much is made of rotating/resting players these days. We've got a much better draw than 2015, so unless we suffer similar injury problems, we should be ok. Even our back ups are good in most positions, the only real worry is losing AWJ, Ken, JD2, and Biggar. They're irreplacable at this stage.

Aye

Good news reporting that Cory Hill is hopefully fit for Australia but Adam Beard is behind schedule.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 21 Sep 2019, 12:51 pm

Always thought Cory Hill would play. Even if they had to inject him to within an inch of his life and rest him for the other 2 games. Gatland rates him enough to have him in the team, and he's earnt it.

With NZ winning - and England likely to top their group - the Australia game becomes almost must-win in terms of any hopes Wales have of winning the thing outright.

It's already looking like an England v NZ semi-final on one side of the draw, and the last thing Wales want is to be the team missing out because they face England in the QFs. Even if we do beat England, I can't see Wales going back to back against England and then NZ.

We have to throw everything at Australia - they'll score tries, they showed that today. North will hopefully be on song, Liam provides the trickery, and Biggar can do the hero stuff with the boot. It's all mental with Wales - we need to do exactly the opposite of this: https://youtu.be/JJksK4U2nLM?t=109

Really hope the refereeing improves as well. It seems very lax around the breakdown, a lot of leeway given to the attacking team to hold on to the ball. But there's also just a general sloppiness. Shame, as all 4 games have been great so far in different ways.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Sep 2019, 9:03 am

In the WOL prediction article all the usual pundits are calling for a wales win but a relatively narrow one.

A BP win is a must Wally to keep us on level points with the Bazzers.

Lots of chat in the Press Conference at the captains run yesterday about the scrum being a huge factor. Due to the likelihood of rain this could be a massive factor that works against Wales tomorrow.

Slippery pitch, slippery ball knock ons and conceding scrum penalties, possibly cards to a team the prides itself on their scrummaging.

Not an area we have impressed in at all, despite muttering of rule interpretation on all sides, in any of our last four games.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-v-georgia-exact-scoreline-16960413

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:13 am

The WRU Website wrote:Alun Wyn Jones says the best way for him to mark his record-equalling Wales cap would be for Warren Gatland’s side to get off to a winning start at the Rugby World Cup.

Lock and captain Jones will make his 129th appearance for his country when Wales face Georgia in their tournament opener at the City of Toyota Stadium in Japan on Monday.  It will take the 34-year-old – who celebrated his birthday this week – level with legendary prop Gethin Jenkins in terms of Wales caps.

The ultimate team man, Jones knows personal milestones are far less important than a victory and strong overall performance from Gatland’s men.

“To rub shoulders with Gethin on this one is pretty sweet. The biggest thing I could do to mark the occasion is go out and enjoy the game and have a good win on Monday,” said Jones.

“We are chomping at the bit. As players we do feel as though we are being held in the blocks a bit.

“You don’t want to be ready too soon, but we do feel as though we are ready and waiting to get out there.”

Jones will pack down in the second row alongside Jake Ball with Aaron Wainwright, Justin Tipuric and Josh Navidi named in the back-row to face Georgia.

Wyn Jones, Ken Owens and Tomas Francis comprise the front row.

Of Wales’ starting XV, 10 have previous World Cup experience and that includes the half-backs where Gareth Davies will line up alongside Dan Biggar.

In total the Welsh XV has 753 caps worth of international experience and Gatland’s side for Georgia is the oldest Wales team to have played at a World Cup with an average age of 28 years and 331 days. Hadleigh Parkes and Jonathan Davies are named as the centre pairing with Josh Adams, George North and Liam Williams in the back-three for Wales’ opening Test.

On the bench Elliot Dee, Nicky Smith and Dillon Lewis are named as the front row replacements with Aaron Shingler and Ross Moriarty finalising the forward cover.

Tomos Williams, Rhys Patchell and Leigh Halfpenny complete the Wales match day 23 for Georgia.

Wales have been training in hard in Toyota ahead of the game and flanker Tipuric knows he and his team-mates will be in for a tough game against the big Eastern Europeans.

Georgia’s main weapon is their potent scrum and Wales are well aware of that after the two sides last met in November 2017.

“Georgia are big men so they’ll be picking and going in attack,” said Tipuric. “They like to get their big forwards into the game and they’ll be physical in defence as well.

“If we’ve got the ball, they’re going to try to smash us, but we’ve got to be sensible with the way we play Georgia and the way we play the conditions. We’re not sure what the weather is going to be, but you don’t want to be silly and play wild rugby which will mean mistakes. That brings their scrum into the game. We’ll see on the day, but we’ve got a game plan.”

Tipuric will win his 67th Welsh cap against Georgia and is a key figure for head coach Gatland.

Tipuric also knows Wales must stop Georgia giant Giorgi Nemsadze who used to play alongside him at the Ospreys.

“Training’s pretty on edge most of the time, but Saturday was a bit extra. The boys are looking forward to the games starting and there’s only so long we can keep hitting each other,” he said.

“We’re looking forward to that extra contact in matches now.

“Giorgi is obviously a massive part of how well Georgia have gone. He’s probably their athlete in the forwards. He’s powerful, he’ll call their line-outs, and he’ll be their leader. He’s a good man as well.

“He loves Georgia and he plays like there’s no end. We’ll have to stop him to do well.”

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:19 am

On a serious note are you concerned about your scrum? Do you think it will be a mistake having left experienced front rows at home?

The Oz scrum has improved, and Fiji's, although not great seems to do ok for most of the match against Aus.
Will this be an area where teams think they can attack you?

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:28 am

I don’t think any welsh fan would be confident of our current scrum. It has been a very negative aspect of our recent three games.

Regarding selection I think Gatland has made the right call. Evans and Lee have been struggling for fitness with both having lengthy lay offs and apparently neither getting much from the pre season training camps.

Both played vs Dragons last weekend for Scarlets and neither received rave reviews.

If tomorrow’s game is a wet match with lots of knock ons Wales could suffer. Not getting a bonus point could hurt us later on

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Sep 2019, 11:40 am

Wales just need to get through tomorrow like England did today. No/few injuries, do a job, get four tries, and 'man up' basically. Don't shirk the confrontation the Georgians will bring, but don't get dragged down in to an arm wrestle or trying to prove you're better than them. 4 grinding, 'Irish'-style tries will do, particularly if it's raining.

The BP is interesting - it's not out of the question we could draw against Australia. They seem to be fairly common in top level test rugby these days, and if we're good defensively, a draw could happen. Which would leave BPs and then points difference deciding the group.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Sep 2019, 12:01 pm

I agree Miaow.

A lot of rain tonight but looks like it’s clearing before the game on the current weather grib.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 22 Sep 2019, 12:10 pm

Good practice then. Rather have this be the first 'poor conditions' game than Australia, or later in the tournament. Wales looked very poor in Paris when they didn't adapt to the rain, and it nearly cost them the game, so I don't see rain as a negative at all...unless we lose!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 22 Sep 2019, 1:03 pm

I wonder if Wales will start as the normally do. slow. but in all honesty Wales should win the game, it will depend on the first 20 minutes if Georgia get a early lead it will be interesting.

I would expect Wales to come away with a good score, BP would be expected for Wales to call it a good start.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 22 Sep 2019, 4:01 pm

miaow wrote:Good practice then. Rather have this be the first 'poor conditions' game than Australia, or later in the tournament. Wales looked very poor in Paris when they didn't adapt to the rain, and it nearly cost them the game, so I don't see rain as a negative at all...unless we lose!

We would all be shocked to see wales lose, pack your bags and go home time if they do. Luke Pearce is referee, although being and English ref he was born in Pontypool.

Hopefully he has a good game

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:23 am

Decent win, did enough. Jake Ball man of the match, not sure about that.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Mon 23 Sep 2019, 9:39 am

Just read that Gatland said after the game that Parkes has a small fracture in his hand, that they think they can pad up. He was seemingly asked about Cory Hill being out of the World Cup, due to not playing and he answered possibly. Be interesting to see what happens there.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:15 am

RiscaGame wrote:Just read that Gatland said after the game that Parkes has a small fracture in his hand, that they think they can pad up. He was seemingly asked about Cory Hill being out of the World Cup, due to not playing and he answered possibly. Be interesting to see what happens there.

Potential replacements being...not-so-Big-Bad-Brad-anymore, and an apparently crocked Scott Williams? Who else behind that? Probably looking at bringing in Owen Lane as 13 cover, and all hopes resting on Watkin at 12. For the second row, is Hill is out, we're in trouble. There's no way Jake Ball will make it to a semi final without at least a minor injury, he's just not durable enough. Which would leave Shingler, basically...but who is there back home? I'm really struggling if not Bradley. Seb Davies?

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:18 am

I'd rather we called up a lock then. It's a big ask to bring in Davies and have him on the bench for Sunday's game, but I don't really want Shingler covering lock if he's going to continue this erratic play. It might be better for the pack as a whole if he were at 6, whilst two locks were in the boiler room. Aus are big and strong up front so we can't afford any passengers.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 10:24 am

On the centre issue, if Parkes is out could be bring someone like Lane (as suggested) but have him cover wing and perhaps have someone like North at 13 and JD2 at 12? Just thinking that I don't think Lane has played much at centre has he? I might be completely wrong on that though. North hasn't played much there but has had a few stints.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Sep 2019, 2:18 pm

The Oracle wrote:On the centre issue, if Parkes is out could be bring someone like Lane (as suggested) but have him cover wing and perhaps have someone like North at 13 and JD2 at 12?  Just thinking that I don't think Lane has played much at centre has he?   I might be completely wrong on that though.  North hasn't played much there but has had a few stints.

They'll strap Parkes up to play this game, even if it ends his tournament/he doesn't play for the rest of the group games. I mentioned Lane as I was thinking North could easily move to 13, but honestly it becomes all a bit tricky when you start shifting players in. JD2 is a world class defensive 13 who can bish, bash, and break his way through defences with ball in hand. He's not a world class 12, and nor is North a proven 13 - defensively he's just not good enough. I hope Scott Williams would come out were Parkes injured. I think people forget just how good he is at the top level when he doesn't force things. It's injuries and errors from overplaying (thanks to years spent behind Roberts) that have cost him his place. If he's fit, you'd think he'd be the next in line.

Shingler will come good eventually, but it's probably 3 months too soon for him to be consistent. Doesn't mean he can't have a blinder within the next few weeks if he gets his head in the right place. Wales were playing a more offloading game the last time he played a competitive match, and the Scarlets were coming to the end of their running rugby magic. He just needs to adapt and focus on a more limited gameplan, do the basics, and without overplaying, make the big runs in the loose that make him so valuable when the opportunity presents itself. Also, he's probably still Wales' best lineout option. I'd put him on par with AWJ at least. The mistakes he's making are forgivable in a sense - it comes from a positive place. There's just no room in the next game to make them again.

One other positive from the game - Tomos Williams. Great performance from the bench, exactly the kind of team he flourishes against. One of the better half back displays we've seen all weekend, irrespective of the quality of opposition.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 24 Sep 2019, 2:13 am

I totally get the risk of taking Hill and losing Beard for a period is a bit unlucky and something you can’t really plan for. I think Shingler is likely to show more form, than Bradley Davies if needed. I think he’s just trying a little too hard at the moment and it’s an easy fix.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Sep 2019, 4:15 am

Cory Hill is out and Bradley Davies is in:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49797237

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 6:48 am

Nightmare situation. Is any tier 1 nation hit as hard with injuries? Don't think so.

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 24 Sep 2019, 7:39 am

Real shame. I just saw on the South Wales Argus site somebody say they might've been able to carry Hill's injury a bit longer, if they didn't have the issue with Beard. There might be something in that, but it must be gutting for Hill after all the work he has put in.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:12 am

So who else is there after Bradley Davies? Does it fall to Shingler to cover?

We've got AWJ, Ball, Beard, Bradley....... which will be enough with Shingler if there's no injuries. But if there are injuries to Ball or Beard or Shingler then who is the next cab off the rank? Any of our other flankers who could provide lock cover? Can't really see it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:19 am

RiscaGame wrote:Real shame. I just saw on the South Wales Argus site somebody say they might've been able to carry Hill's injury a bit longer, if they didn't have the issue with Beard. There might be something in that, but it must be gutting for Hill after all the work he has put in.

Yeah, this is what it feels like. As soon as the Beard news came through it was clearly worrying times for both. NZ are carrying Retallick until the QFs, and I think Gatland would have done the same with Hill, but Beard's injury shook things up, and with Wainwright making the first team, you can't survive on 2 locks, 1 makeshift, and 1 desperate measure through rotation to get you through the groups. Sad for the player and Wales. Could have done a job in the knockouts, and I really don't think this is the end of the injury worries at lock. Can see Ball going down at some point, and we might need at least 1 more back up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:24 am

The Oracle wrote:So who else is there after Bradley Davies?  Does it fall to Shingler to cover?

We've got AWJ, Ball, Beard, Bradley....... which will be enough with Shingler if there's no injuries.  But if there are injuries to Ball or Beard or Shingler then who is the next cab off the rank?  Any of our other flankers who could provide lock cover?  Can't really see it.  

I think Wainwright would do a job in desperate measures, but I assume, based on who's been picked in the last 2 years, it's Seb Davies. Charteris retired end of the season so assume he's stopped training, therefore not available. Unless I'm mistaken, there's basically no-one else. I'm struggling to think of anyone who's either been around for years, or is a fresh cap, who might be available. Lewis Rawlins at the Scarlets? I really don't know. Rory Thornton, how's he gone last season? Any English based locks with a Welsh granny?

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:24 am

The Oracle wrote:So who else is there after Bradley Davies?  Does it fall to Shingler to cover?

We've got AWJ, Ball, Beard, Bradley....... which will be enough with Shingler if there's no injuries.  But if there are injuries to Ball or Beard or Shingler then who is the next cab off the rank?  Any of our other flankers who could provide lock cover?  Can't really see it.  

Seb Davies ?

He had a decent summer tour. You never know.

Or is he injured as well ?

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:26 am

Lloyd Peers/Ashley?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:29 am

miaow wrote:

I think Wainwright would do a job in desperate measures, but I assume, based on who's been picked in the last 2 years, it's Seb Davies. Charteris retired end of the season so assume he's stopped training, therefore not available. Unless I'm mistaken, there's basically no-one else. I'm struggling to think of anyone who's either been around for years, or is a fresh cap, who might be available. Lewis Rawlins at the Scarlets? I really don't know. Rory Thornton, how's he gone last season? Any English based locks with a Welsh granny?

Yeah, looking through the squads it seems only Seb Davies has has any international experience. Bleak!

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:43 am

The Oracle wrote:
miaow wrote:

Yeah, looking through the squads it seems only Seb Davies has has any international experience.  Bleak!

It's not bleak at all, well, I don't think so anyway, it's not as if we are calling players like Olly Kohn to get us out of a rut, or who was that guy from Gloucester a few years ago ? Will something....... Also, what is Dom Day doing these days ?

I think bringing Seb in should have been done anyway, he has a massive future in front of him. It could be the making of him.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Tue 24 Sep 2019, 8:45 am

Will James...... Laugh

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Tue 24 Sep 2019, 9:00 am

Unfortunately, if he has to use Seb Davies, he has shafted him a little by only playing him backrow recently. Perhaps he sees him as too lightweight?

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 24 Sep 2019, 9:22 am

I don't think the situation is dreadful. It's more likely that training is disrupted more than matchday teams are.

People are piling on Shingler a bit, half hoping half expecting him to just pick up where he left off before injury. He's really not the worst lock replacement in the world. Maybe a bit lightweight against an England or SA or NZ, and might be tested by the beanpoles Australia will play on Sunday, but even if one of Ball/Beard (hopefully never AWJ) is injured he'll do at least a decent job from the bench.

At this stage, barring injury, any replacement is likely to be holding tackle bags for the duration anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next