The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Hundred

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Hundred - Page 2 Empty The Hundred

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Tue 01 Oct 2019, 6:53 pm

First topic message reminder :

England's World Cup-winning captain Eoin Morgan, West Indies batsman Chris Gayle and Australia's Steve Smith have made themselves available for The Hundred player draft on 20 October.

The inaugural 100-ball competition, which is comprised of eight city-based teams, takes place next summer from 17 July-16 August.

Other big names to have stated their interest include Afghanistan spinner Rashid Khan, Australia opener David Warner and former Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi.

England's contracted Test players such as Joe Root, Ben Stokes and Jofra Archer are not on the list because they will be part of an initial draft for England's red-ball cricketers on Thursday.

In that mini draft, teams will select up to three players, with the Leeds-based side, for instance, having to choose between Root, Stokes and Jonny Bairstow as their first pick.

They will also have the opportunity to select local icons. The eight teams will be based in London (two teams), Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, Nottingham, Cardiff and Southampton.

The main draft will be held later this month and among the other international cricketers to have made themselves available for the competition are Shakib Al Hasan, Moeen Ali, Babar Azam, Tom Curran, Quinton de Kock, Faf du Plessis, Aaron Finch, Lasith Malinga, Kieron Pollard, Kagiso Rabada, Jason Roy, Mitchell Starc and Kane Williamson.

Players are able to set a reserve price for their services, with each team having two spaces in their squad in each of the following pay brackets: £125,000, £100,000, £75,000, £60,000, £50,000, £40,000 and £30,000.

Taken from the BBC Sport draft. I know that there isn't a lot of fans of it on here...but the actual cricket itself and standard of it will be quite high I think. Certainly is attracting some big names
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

The Hundred - Page 2 Empty Re: The Hundred

Post by Marky on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 9:50 am

I've fully taken on my role as a Southern Brave supporter (as a Sussex fan, I had a choice of Hampshire or Surrey, but followed Jofra), the draft went pretty well for them. I didn't expect everybody to pass on Chris Gayle, purely for the star power.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 9:53 am

My "local" franchise, Welsh Fire(feels like it needs an !) have quite an old squad.
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:54 am

Marky wrote:I've fully taken on my role as a Southern Brave supporter (as a Sussex fan, I had a choice of Hampshire or Surrey, but followed Jofra), the draft went pretty well for them. I didn't expect everybody to pass on Chris Gayle, purely for the star power.

With small squads, £125k on a player purely for star power could have been deemed a bit rich.

In the first section (only one Gayle was eligible for) Birmingham, London & Oval had just one pick and went for Livingstone (interesting), Maxwell & Narine.

Other picks at £125k were: Rashid Khan, D'Arcy Short, Andre Russell, David Warner, Aaron Finch, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Mitchell Star, Steve Smith, Imran Tahir & Dane Vilas (another interesting one).

Malinga and Rabada also missed out at the £125k stage, in part due to teams generally looking for a mystery spinner or explosive batting (Noting that with short straight boundaries Welsh Fire opted for Starc's pace).

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:
Marky wrote:I've fully taken on my role as a Southern Brave supporter (as a Sussex fan, I had a choice of Hampshire or Surrey, but followed Jofra), the draft went pretty well for them. I didn't expect everybody to pass on Chris Gayle, purely for the star power.

With small squads, £125k on a player purely for star power could have been deemed a bit rich.

Agreed, although he's still good enough at the short form of the game as an opener, with the occasional bit of spin. I think when there will be so much emphasis on being able to field as well, it probably explains his absence. Warner was a great pick up.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 11:11 am

The one thing I'm pleased with Welsh Fire is that we seem to have good options for captain. I'm guessing it would be ten Doeschate.

In a format of only 100 balls, making good decisions is going to be important.
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 12:00 pm

I look forward to the "last two left derby" Afro Laugh

Two London sides, two Northern sides, two Midlands sides...

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 12:03 pm

Afro wrote:The one thing I'm pleased with Welsh Fire is that we seem to have good options for captain. I'm guessing it would be ten Doeschate.

In  a format of only 100 balls, making good decisions is going to be important.

Welsh Fire have a good looking XI to me Afro - as do the Northern Superchargers and Birmingham Phoenix.

Manchester I am not enthused by...Dane Vilas for 125k was the worst pick of the draft by some margin
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

Marky wrote:I look forward to the "last two left derby" Afro Laugh

Two London sides, two Northern sides, two Midlands sides...

The backwaters derby. I've started eating more Hula Hoops to show my support already
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 12:12 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:
Afro wrote:The one thing I'm pleased with Welsh Fire is that we seem to have good options for captain. I'm guessing it would be ten Doeschate.

In  a format of only 100 balls, making good decisions is going to be important.

Welsh Fire have a good looking XI to me Afro - as do the Northern Superchargers and Birmingham Phoenix.

Manchester I am not enthused by...Dane Vilas for 125k was the worst pick of the draft by some margin

I quite like our picks as well tbh.

For me, even as a Somerset fan, I was massively surprised by their picking of Tom Abell and Ed Byrom. Made me wonder is Jos was just trying to get him mates selected, and whether to expect them to pick up Leach as their "mystery" spinner
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:02 pm

Trent picking Luke Fletcher tells you how seriously they took it Laugh
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:18 pm

Theres a few names I barely recognise let alone known much about but most of Trents squad looked pretty good. They do seem to have shown some faith in local old boys who have experience on the global T20 circuit ( Gurney, Wright)
Hales is a great pick up for them if he is off the drugs and back on track as a human.

Overall looking at all the squads there is a disappointing number of journeyman and kolpaks ( something something brexit) but at least most of the overseas spots have gone to top class talent.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:49 pm

Luke Wright was a great pickup, really surprised he was still available at the end.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Afro on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 3:54 pm

And Dawid Malan was a bargain too
Afro
Afro
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

GSC wrote:Trent picking Luke Fletcher tells you how seriously they took it Laugh

Hi GSC - probably best to say that online than to Fletch's face! Wink

More seriously, some teams do seem to have picked from their locality whilst others have spread the net more widely.

I note a few references to journeymen type selections. Whilst there appears more than a grain of truth in that, we should probably also accept that some of the coaches might know a bit more than us. Two of the early picks last night were Ravi Rampaul and Roelof van der Merwe - surprising in some ways as both are some way off being household names. However, having checked further, their recent county t20 stats stand up well to scrutiny.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

My issue with those two GB is that being Kolpak they count as Domestic Players.

There were 3 main objectives of the Hundred afaik:

1) Generate Income
2) Bring in new fans
3) Create an elite environment for English players to learn and develop.

The liberal use of Kolpak players seems not to hit 1 & 2 and deprives genuine domestic players of a chance to shine. It will though make the 50 over competition interesting.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 5:47 pm

I'm not sure how feasible it wouldve been but wouldve liked to see a quota on young english players per squad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 5:48 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
GSC wrote:Trent picking Luke Fletcher tells you how seriously they took it Laugh

Hi GSC - probably best to say that online than to Fletch's face! Wink

More seriously, some teams do seem to have picked from their locality whilst others have spread the net more widely.

I note a few references to journeymen type selections. Whilst there appears more than a grain of truth in that, we should probably also accept that some of the coaches might know a bit more than us. Two of the early picks last night were Ravi Rampaul and Roelof van der Merwe - surprising in some ways as both are some way off being household names. However, having checked further, their recent county t20 stats stand up well to scrutiny.
Haha, true, more he was the last of what seemed like 6 straight Notts players
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 5:52 pm

LondonTiger wrote:My issue with those two GB is that being Kolpak they count as Domestic Players.

There were 3 main objectives of the Hundred afaik:

1) Generate Income
2) Bring in new fans
3) Create an elite environment for English players to learn and develop.

The liberal use of Kolpak players seems not to hit 1 & 2 and deprives genuine domestic players of a chance to shine. It will though make the 50 over competition interesting.

Hi Tiger - I get why you have an issue although I was only looking at things from the coaches' perspective last night of picking a good and decent squad from those available.

Btw, you put forward the objectives of the Hundred in a far clearer way than the ECB have ever done!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:05 pm

Welsh Fire sign Steve Smith and Mitchell Starc

I might have to attend some games at this rate

With all of south Wales cricket fans supporting us along with some people from western England making the journey I am sure the crowds will be big

Wales

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan on Mon 21 Oct 2019, 10:22 pm

Afro wrote:My "local" franchise, Welsh Fire
I am sure you can get behind us Welsh Fire

If you're in Cardiff at all for a match and fancy a beer then then let me know

Don't worry I'll have a word with the boys and make sure they don't all start speaking Welsh as soon as you walk in the pub just to annoy you and be ignorant

We do that all the time apparently (in a paranoid fantasy world) laughing

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD on Thu 28 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

Steffan wrote:Welsh Fire sign Steve Smith and Mitchell Starc

I might have to attend some games at this rate

With all of south Wales cricket fans supporting us along with some people from western England making the journey I am sure the crowds will be big

Wales

The crowds are never big there lol.

Fingers crossed the 100 flops and costs the ECB lots of ££££££££££s, heads should roll.

Disgruntled Somerset Fan. thumbsup
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 12:13 pm

I know it's cheap and easy to know the 100 but given this format was pushed at providing a short event for the time/concentration poor family and casual fan ...why on earth are they doing double header fixtures which run slightly longer than a T20

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat on Wed 12 Feb 2020, 1:46 pm

Gooseberry wrote:I know it's cheap and easy to know the 100 but given this format was pushed at providing a short event for the time/concentration poor family and casual fan ...why on earth are they doing double header fixtures which run slightly longer than a T20

Aren't though the 100 double headers a men's game and a women's game so as to try and generate more interest in the latter?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum