The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Players of the Rugby World Cup

+19
Gooseberry
Cyril
sensisball
maestegmafia
George Carlin
Engine#4
Collapse2005
Luckless Pedestrian
robbo277
Taylorman
BigGee
lostinwales
Old Man
LondonTiger
mikey_dragon
BamBam
No 7&1/2
R!skysports
Afro
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Best Players of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Best Players of the Rugby World Cup

Post by Guest Mon 14 Oct 2019, 2:42 pm

First topic message reminder :

Saw a pretty ropey team of the tournament so far posted in another thread - predictably just the All Blacks and a few others.

With the group stages now over, who makes up everyone's 'best' XV from all 20 teams? Obviously not helped by 2 cancelled games.

For me, the two stand out half backs have been the Tongan scrum half - Sonatane Takulua - and the Japanese outside half, Yu Tamura. I'd say they have also been probably the two best players overall, despite Tamura missing a few kicks at goal. Wonderful pivot play and key to Japan's success.

Plenty more honourable mentions as well. For Wales, both our scrum halves - Tomos Williams and Gareth Davies - have been really good, Josh Adams on the wing has stood out as current leading try scorer. The back rows have played well, but probably not enough to stand out ahead of other options.

Elsewhere in Group D, Radrada, Yato, Tuisova, and Nayacalevu have all shone. Latu, Hooper, and Koroibete have been great for Australia, with Kerevi and Toomua proving key as well. Some admirable efforts from the Georgians and Uruguayans but, for me, no name or player has done enough to be considered up there with the players mentioned.

Keen to hear thoughts on who others would pick? Full XVs welcome but that feels a bit beyond me to manage.

Back to top Go down

Best Players of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Players of the Rugby World Cup

Post by Guest Mon 28 Oct 2019, 10:54 pm

T'eo looked like he had 50-60 minutes in him but not much more. Big old boy.

Back to top Go down

Best Players of the Rugby World Cup - Page 2 Empty Re: Best Players of the Rugby World Cup

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 30 Oct 2019, 11:50 am

miaow wrote:T'eo looked like he had 50-60 minutes in him but not much more. Big old boy.

He was definitely stocky. Great step on him though and low centre of gravity made him tough to put down. If the pro League wasn't taking off in the US I think someone in the UK would have taken a punt on him as a handy utility back.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 30 Oct 2019, 2:35 pm

Not sure. He looked pretty average against Tonga. Doubt he'd cut it in England.

Wasn't the USA hooker on the books at an English club but barely got out of the reserves? Worcester maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Thu 31 Oct 2019, 11:50 am

He's third choice at Worcester. Mobile and powerful in the loose but needs work on his set piece.

As a utility squad player I think someone would have taken a punt, in prior world cups anyway, he'd have been cheap. Might have had some Championship game time. Pro League in the US will stop that. More money to stay at home.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Thu 31 Oct 2019, 12:29 pm

There probably ought to be a "Best of Tier 2" team and a "Best of the knockout rounds" team. If there were time in the schedule it would make a great Barbarians match...
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Nov 2019, 8:04 am

1. Beast/Marler
2. Horie/Coles
3. Malherbe/Sinckler
4. Itoje/Ball/Mostert
5. AWJ/Lood de Jager/Lawes/Barrett
6. PSDT/Savea
7. Curry/Underhill/Yato
8. Vermeulen
9. Takalua/Faf de Klerk/Nagare (strong position this - Gareth Davies, DuPont, and Aaron Smith all worthy of mentions as well)
10. Yu Tamura/George Ford/Dan Biggar/Pollard
11. Matsushima/Josh Adams
12. De Allende/Tuilagi
13. ALB/Vakatawa
14. Radrada/Watson
15. Barrett/Artimyev

Too many tough picks for me. No doubt several I'm forgetting from the earlier rounds as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Old Man Tue 05 Nov 2019, 8:25 am

Mapimpi

Old Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 05 Nov 2019, 4:47 pm

yeah decent shout

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 06 Nov 2019, 11:03 am

miaow wrote:1. Beast/Marler
2. Horie/Coles
3. Malherbe/Sinckler
4. Itoje/Ball/Mostert
5. AWJ/Lood de Jager/Lawes/Barrett
6. PSDT/Savea
7. Curry/Underhill/Yato
8. Vermeulen
9. Takalua/Faf de Klerk/Nagare (strong position this - Gareth Davies, DuPont, and Aaron Smith all worthy of mentions as well)
10. Yu Tamura/George Ford/Dan Biggar/Pollard
11. Matsushima/Josh Adams
12. De Allende/Tuilagi
13. ALB/Vakatawa
14. Radrada/Watson
15. Barrett/Artimyev

Too many tough picks for me. No doubt several I'm forgetting from the earlier rounds as well.

Think this is a decent effort Meow. I thought Hooper had a good world cup, as well as Koroibete and Kuridrani. No.8 is a little sparse but Vermeulen was the standout in the position. His performance in the final was one of the best i've seen in the 8 shirt. I'd be tempted to include Leitch if I am right in thinking he wore the 8 jersey for Japan this WC? Whenever I saw France play, I was also impressed by Ollivon's performance on the flank.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 06 Nov 2019, 4:59 pm

All fair inclusions. I thought of Ollivon but not helped by missing out on an England game. Forgot the Australians, Hooper definitely deserves a mention, as do the other two.

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Wed 06 Nov 2019, 5:25 pm

miaow wrote:All fair inclusions. I thought of Ollivon but not helped by missing out on an England game. Forgot the Australians, Hooper definitely deserves a mention, as do the other two.

Easily done...

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2