The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

+17
ralphjohn69
Davie
BlueCoverman
superflyweight
George1507
dynamark
I'm never wrong
Be_the_ball
pedro
Roller_Coaster
westisbest
super_realist
navyblueshorts
kwinigolfer
McLaren
JAS
beninho
21 posters

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by beninho Wed 06 Nov 2019, 9:08 am

First topic message reminder :

Davie wrote:
super_realist wrote:
beninho wrote:https://officiating.worldrugby.org/?module=3&section=36&subsection=129&language=en

"It is not mandatory for the team receiving the challenge to face it."

How many effing times. If they don't face it up silently and respectfully they get massive media criticism.

No they don't!

This is getting crazy!

beninho

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:39 pm

super_realist wrote:No, it was a show about scepticism. One hour show on scepticism demonstrated with magic tricks and then one hour q and a on anything.

Far too many smelly, deadbeat intolerable millennials polluting the room and rather unfairly  turned on a man who dared to bring up lack of scepticism in the preposterous claims of climate change alarmists.
He made his point very poorly to be fair, but didn't need to be shouted down by people unwilling to hear him out. Anyone with a brain could see what he was trying to say. Typical millennials. Couldn't see the analogy and irony between a lack of justification for religious beliefs and lack of justification for the claims of climate alarmists.
Dare to question the element of climate change that isn't supported by science and all of a sudden they shouted the old man down. Shows how intolerant the young have become.

*wasn't me who asked by the way.

Did he ask you for your autograph at the end Supes? Christ if he read these boards he’d love you :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread - Page 11 Empty Re: Another Drive4show 'Anything goes' thread

Post by JAS Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:46 pm

Meanwhile, how’s the Boris boom going? I took very small consolation last Friday morning that at least I’d get more Canadian dollars for my holiday now that the country had backed the “safe option” to “Unleash the tremendous potential of this great great country” I held off thing things can only get better!! Only to find that the currency traders have clearly started to read the Tory Manifesto and the exchange rate is now worse than it was last Weds. what a boom!! A whole 2 day economic miracle!!! Ever had the feeling you’ve been cheated??

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:53 pm

JAS wrote:Meanwhile, how’s the Boris boom going? I took very small consolation last Friday morning that at least I’d get more Canadian dollars for my holiday now that the country had backed the “safe option” to “Unleash the tremendous potential of this great great country” I held off thing things can only get better!! Only to find that the currency traders have clearly started to read the Tory Manifesto and the exchange rate is now worse than it was last Weds. what a boom!!  A whole 2 day economic miracle!!! Ever had the feeling you’ve been cheated??

Bit unrealistic to expect much change at this stage JAS.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Wed 18 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm

JAS wrote:Meanwhile, how’s the Boris boom going? I took very small consolation last Friday morning that at least I’d get more Canadian dollars for my holiday now that the country had backed the “safe option” to “Unleash the tremendous potential of this great great country” I held off thing things can only get better!! Only to find that the currency traders have clearly started to read the Tory Manifesto and the exchange rate is now worse than it was last Weds. what a boom!!  A whole 2 day economic miracle!!! Ever had the feeling you’ve been cheated??

You expect things to get better within days?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:04 pm

Super

What was the question that the guy asked?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:22 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

What was the question that the guy asked?

To summarise he asked why anyone thought it was acceptable for the brainwashing of people with claims of climate alarm (eg Emma Thomson claiming we'd end up eating our pets, ER claiming we are facing human extinction etc) when we are supposed to be more sceptical and demanding of evidence.

He didn't do a good job of putting that across though and people lept on him because they thought he was denying climate change rather than attacking false claims about climate change.

That's the problem with a lot of the green Gestapo, they simply can't separate an argument and can't accept the short comings in their message. Most climate change talk is fine and relatively measured, just the alarmist brainwashing which is problematic and causes concerns in regards to the spreading baseless hysteria and poisoning the entire issue by blighting it with lies.

Saldy now it seems you can't call them out on their nonsense without being labelled a climate change denier.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:31 pm

What was Dillihunty's response?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:42 pm

He didn't really want to get into it because the guy was shouted down and through other words exposed himself as a climate denier so when you do that you haven't earned an answer.

His main point was valid in regards to the lying, hysteria and gullibility of Extinction Rebellion, he just made a terrible job of putting it across without revealing what his other views were.

Part of the problem is that most people don't know the difference between greenhouse effect, climate change, human induced climate change and absurd claims in regards to climate change. They see it as all the same thing, and to think we laugh at the American education system.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed 18 Dec 2019, 1:53 pm

Fair enough if the guy was being an arse.

A main difference between "climate alarmists" and religious claims is the basis from which claims are made. Religious claims are based on the supernatural, mythology and irrationality while "climate alarmists" exaggerate a very sound body of scientific evidence.

If you feel like being charitable the "climate alarmists" are only people who are very worried about what climate change means for society. And at worst they are only predicting the effects happen 10 years before the science suggests they will.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed 18 Dec 2019, 2:03 pm

Climate alarmists are very much like the religious though. A doomsday cult with no evidence behind the claims they are making.

Take the established fact of the climate changing, and that human influence has been responsible for some and then consider none of what they claim on top in regards to specific events is supported by evidence. They are making prophecies which simply aren't true or credible. Religious nutters are definitely analogous with climate change hysterics and I'd put them both in the same bracket of credulity and looniness.

Science isn't backing up their claims. They are simply tacking scare stories  on which in some ways is more despicable because its harder for idiots to see through.
Science isn't claiming that we will be cannibals, that we will be eating our pets, that we will be under water, that climate change is killing 200 species a day, that we will be the last generation etc. Its simply not true and it should be questioned, but they won't allow it, very much like a religious person when called out on their beliefs. Fingers go in ears.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Wed 18 Dec 2019, 3:28 pm

super_realist wrote:

Bit unrealistic to expect much change at this stage JAS.

Just remove the words “at this stage”

Besides I’m off to Canada on Sunday I can’t wait 10-15 years for a better exchange rate :-p

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Wed 18 Dec 2019, 8:09 pm

McLaren wrote:Fair enough if the guy was being an arse.

A main difference between "climate alarmists" and religious claims is the basis from which claims are made. Religious claims are based on the supernatural, mythology and irrationality while "climate alarmists" exaggerate a very sound body of scientific evidence.

If you feel like being charitable the "climate alarmists" are only people who are very worried about what climate change means for society. And at worst they are only predicting the effects happen 10 years before the science suggests they will.
Well then there’s the people who use climate the change discussion to shoehorn in their ideologic beleifs on how the world ideally should look like. That’s probably even more worrying than religious nutters.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Dec 2019, 7:54 am

pedro wrote:
McLaren wrote:Fair enough if the guy was being an arse.

Well then there’s the people who use climate the change discussion to shoehorn in their ideologic beleifs on how the world ideally should look like. That’s probably even more worrying than religious nutters.

They're on a par with Anti-Vaccination protestors in their level of credibility. Who are they to decide what the optimum climate should look like anyway? Asking a glacier not to melt, is like asking someone not to die. You can't stop it.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:35 am

Watched glimpses of the US House impeachment hearings yesterday.
USA at its absolute worst. A pox on them all.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:38 am

Nothings going to happen because the Republicans control the senate. Another four years of Trump is virtually guaranteed.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:47 am

kwinigolfer wrote:Watched glimpses of the US House impeachment hearings yesterday.
USA at its absolute worst. A pox on them all.
System is completely broken. Worse than here, but we're working on it.

super_realist wrote:Nothings going to happen because the Republicans control the senate. Another four years of Trump is virtually guaranteed.
He has to win in 2020 yet, which will be interesting. Bit like Labour maybe - he already has his zealots on board, has probably/hopefully lost some floaters from last time and some of those he made big promises to last time don't seem to have benefitted and/or were more damaged by his idiotic, macho trade argument w/ China. We'll see...
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Thu 19 Dec 2019, 12:14 pm

Hoping there's not another four years of this - fortunately GB&NI wouldn't stand for it. So long as you learn whilst watching BJ try to emulate him.
Reagan (erroneously of course) thought he practiced trickle down economics - Drumpf shamelessly practices gushing up economics.
Guess who'll eventually have to pay the price.

(super, Absolutely, impeachment destined to sink without trace in the Senate, which makes all the rhetorical posturing academic - more than one way to skin a cat, especially this one, which the Dems don't seem to have figured out.)

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Thu 19 Dec 2019, 4:36 pm

I'm thinking if becoming a Jedi there is a Church of Jedi and it looks a lot better than the others(mind that's not difficult)
Not that I'm fit to play but courses have been and will be shut for ages with this rain.Lads girlfriend is in Australia which sound very different

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 19 Dec 2019, 4:50 pm

A mate of mine came 25th in Final Qualifying last month and got his European Tour Card. This week he's on the Gold Coast playing in the Australian PGA after playing in the Alfred Dunhill at Leopard Creek earlier this month. One shot more in qualifying he would have probably been slopping it round in the Essex clay like the rest of us! Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 19 Dec 2019, 5:27 pm

How is he doing?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:03 pm

You a bit jelly Sups, some "hacker" teeing it up on the ET and you are stuck toiling in the scottish winter.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:04 pm

Missed the cut at Leopard Creek. Decent round today despite a disastrous 7 on the 9th. Finished -1 and is in 31st position. Had 5 birdies today, hoping for similar tomorrow to see him through the cut.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:09 pm

McLaren wrote:You a bit jelly Sups, some "hacker" teeing it up on the ET and you are stuck toiling in the scottish winter.

Ha Ha Mac, I only wish I could hack it round the way he does! Great player, he broke our local club's course record when he was a 13 year old schoolboy!...even you must be slightly impressed with talent like that!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:40 pm

Dale Whitnell Blue? Fair play to him, that's excellent.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:59 pm

Yes Dale Whitnell BTB

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 20 Dec 2019, 6:42 am

Another tidy round for Dale today sees him finish at level par, good enough to see him safely through to the weekend.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 7:33 am

McLaren wrote:You a bit jelly Sups, some "hacker" teeing it up on the ET and you are stuck toiling in the scottish winter.

Certainly wish I had the talent Mac, but not sure I would like the stress of no guaranteed income.
Even the stress and dedication required to be a plus handicapper would probably take away my enjoyment of the game. There's a lot of guys at St. Andrews around +3 or +4 and their lives are consumed with the game to the point of delusion. They behave like tour pros and have cringe worthy twitter accounts as if someone actually gives a toss about their game. Nobody does. .

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Fri 20 Dec 2019, 8:26 am

Spot on that Super. Just to win enough to cover your costs on tour is a major achievement in itself.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Dec 2019, 10:24 am

Yeh but +4 round TOC is probably only scratch at most courses. Scratch round TOC is probably like 4 to 5 anywhere else.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 10:43 am

McLaren wrote:Yeh but +4 round TOC is probably only scratch at most courses. Scratch round TOC is probably like 4 to 5 anywhere else.

There is more than one course at St Andrews Mac, and there are very few club comps over the Old, I agree though. CSS should definitely be in the 60's. It is a very easy course indeed because it is so outdated. It really makes you look better than you are.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:29 am

Super

So you are probably more like a 5 than scratch?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:32 am

No Mac, I just told you that there isn't many competitions on the Old, in fact I only play around three a year. The rest are on other courses.
Nice try at a wind up though.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Dec 2019, 1:36 pm

Super

To be fair you know I don't think that about TOC.

How come there are so few comps on TOC?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 1:54 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

To be fair you know I don't think that about TOC.

How come there are so few comps on TOC?

Each club only gets a certain amount of times on TOC. R&A get the most which says a lot about what they actually think of equality. Basically each club has a Spring and Autumn meeting, and the R&A have a Gold Medal for low players from all clubs on a Sunday in May. There are occasional midweek sweeps you can play in should you get a time in the ballot.

Presumably it is set up that they can coin it in off the tourists, which is fair enough because they subsidise my golf by making the links ticket incredibly cheap. Its probably the best value golf in the country.

Why have you never joined?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Fri 20 Dec 2019, 2:31 pm

super_realist wrote:

Why have you never joined?

If you propose my membership I will sign up right now. Although I thought you had to live in the area?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 2:40 pm

There's nothing to propose. You just join the waiting list. That said I don't know whether it is currently open or not.
You don't have to live in the area, there's just different levels of fee.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Fri 20 Dec 2019, 3:04 pm

£720 for 5 day member on all courses. That is a bargain Super. ......after the waiting list, of course.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Fri 20 Dec 2019, 3:18 pm

I think I pay £660 plus £150 for a local club membership for 7 days of golf.

If you live in St Andrews it's 220, if you live in NE Fife it's 440.

I was lucky to get in years back, only waited a few months, currently there's guys who have been on it a good few years.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sat 21 Dec 2019, 2:16 pm

Eddie Pepperall is a great laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 22 Dec 2019, 4:25 pm

Be_the_ball wrote:Dale Whitnell Blue? Fair play to him, that's excellent.

Not quite the weekend Dale was hoping for I'm sure. Rounds of 77 and 74 see him finish on +7 and 64th place. Still 4.9 Race to Dubai points and a cheque for 2,089 Euros, it's a start!

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 22 Dec 2019, 7:40 pm

BlueCoverman wrote:
Be_the_ball wrote:Dale Whitnell Blue? Fair play to him, that's excellent.

Not quite the weekend Dale was hoping for I'm sure. Rounds of 77 and 74 see him finish on +7 and 64th place. Still 4.9 Race to Dubai points and a cheque for 2,089 Euros, it's a start!

Yes indeed, good on him. OK

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun 22 Dec 2019, 8:36 pm

Blue,
Young Dale must have experienced a few ups and downs over the past 10+ years?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:36 pm

More downs than ups in that period, I think would be fair to say kwini. I played with him for our club in the same Essex Thornton Cup team in 2009 when we reached the final, this was shortly before he played alongside Tommy Fleetwood in the Walker Cup. The USA team lined up in opposition that year included the likes of Rickie Fowler, Bud Cauley, Brian Harman, Morgan Hoffman, Cameron Tringale and Peter Uihlein amongst others.

Dale had a fantastic year, finishing Number One amateur in England and winning convincingly the English Golf Union Order of Merit. He turned pro shortly afterwards when he was plus 5. He came 36th on his professional debut on the European Tour at the Alfred Dunhill Links Championship and then an incredible 4th at his second event at Leopard Creek in 2010. He won over 60,000 Euros in his first two events. Shortly after that he was in 15th place at the Open after 3 rounds. Unfortunately he spent the Saturday night enjoying the 'hospitality' of two newly found girl 'golf fans'. Who wouldn't given the opportunity, maybe not in the middle of the Open though perhaps. So on the Sunday, after no sleep and too much alcohol it all added up to a 78 and a tumble down the leaderboard in to practically last place.

After that it all started to get a bit difficult. Dale had always enjoyed a gamble, but now it became a bit of a problem. What money he did win on the golf course, there always seemed to be a bookie waiting on the 18th green to pick up some outstanding debts. The last couple of years he has been much more settled though. A steady relationship and a house move away from the bad influence of some of his old acquaintances was a sensible move. (I'd like to think I wasn't one of those bad influences!)

I met him in Portugal earlier in the year and he is in a very good place now. I could see and recognize the steely determination and calmness when he spoke about his plans and ambitions for this season, those that used to stand him out from the rest of us. He is a fantastic player and genuinely really nice fella. I so hope he does well in 2020, I shall be following his progress with equal anticipation and excitement.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Sun 22 Dec 2019, 9:49 pm

Sometimes when talent is so natural it can be taken for granted and golf is such a fickle game with so many variables. Glad to hear he's back on track. Gambling is probably the worst of all afflictions, as it can be hidden quite easily until the catastrophic consequences are exposed. There's way too much unregulated gambling allowed today imo. Ruining peoples lives, especially the younger generation of 18-35's, gambling via apps with direct access to bank accounts and credit cards. Way too much advertising in sport also, it's taken over from alcohol sponsorship.

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Dec 2019, 5:54 pm

Double standards from Downing Street on the subject of racism.
Considering they cow-tow to the racist Drumpf at every opportunity, and without any pushback, they are nothing but hypocrites. He legitimised racism in the public arena from the moment he opened his presidential campaign and has never stopped.
Don't blame football, Boris, blame your friends.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 23 Dec 2019, 6:55 pm

Seems a bit absurd for the football community to put this at the foot of any political party. Racism in football really has nothing to do with who is governing the country.

Gambling isn't something new BtB. There's a massive trail of Scottish golfers over the years on +5,+6 etc who have had their potential ruined by gambling, drinking, drugs, women etc. We need to stop this nonsense that it's harder for the young today. It's not. If you're head's not screwed on right, you'll find a way to self destruct, doesn't matter if that's the old fashioned drinker or the modern day gambling loser. Most people simply don't have the discipline to be a top sportsman, and that's the bottom line. They haven't been cheated out of if by distractions. Top sportspeople have better focus and priorities.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 23 Dec 2019, 8:19 pm

kwinigolfer wrote:Double standards from Downing Street on the subject of racism.
Considering they cow-tow to the racist Drumpf at every opportunity, and without any pushback, they are nothing but hypocrites. He legitimised racism in the public arena from the moment he opened his presidential campaign and has never stopped.

That will be the Boris that talks about Muslim women in letterbox outfits and watermelon smiles then. I don't think he needs Trump to teach him

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 23 Dec 2019, 8:42 pm

Davie wrote:
kwinigolfer wrote:Double standards from Downing Street on the subject of racism.

That will be the Boris that talks about Muslim women in letterbox outfits and watermelon smiles then. I don't think he needs Trump to teach him

Exactly . . . . . . . .

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Be_the_ball Mon 23 Dec 2019, 9:24 pm

It feels like April and The Masters is a long way away, so here's a little clip from one of the UK's funniest people - classic https://youtu.be/Sv5iEK-IEzw

Be_the_ball

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Mon 23 Dec 2019, 9:25 pm

In defence of Boris he doesn't do monkey chants which is a step way to far.
I'm come across a few 'golf pros'who have struggled with issues.One local guy committed suicide and another decent pro few years on ET messed up with the drink.Flawed genius just watching a prog about Tommy Cooper and he did like a drink .

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 20 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 20  Next