The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

606v2 Team Of The Decade

+9
Cyril
maestegmafia
Geordie
Pot Hale
Taylorman
Gooseberry
Pete330v2
LondonTiger
bsando
13 posters

Go down

606v2 Team Of The Decade Empty 606v2 Team Of The Decade

Post by bsando Fri 20 Dec 2019, 10:16 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50840365

Having noticed Ugo Monye and Danny Care's team of the decade and their short list, I thought we could come up with a far better one. They have a lot of players missing from their shortlist who should absolutely be there.

So what can you come up with? You have until NYE to list your team of the decade.

The Only Rule: Let's do this on talent and experience alone, ie disregard off field controversies and misdemeanours, we ain't the Beeb! For example, if you think Folau is a homophobe and/or a disgrace to the game but was probably the most talented fullback of the decade, don't feel you can't list him in your side.

Send me your team via private message

and I'll list the side we've chosen based on which players you selected most for each position.

In the event of a player being selected the same amount of times as another player (regardless of which position), I'll put it to you via a poll before I post the final team on NYE below here>>>

Ladies and Gents, your 606v2 Team of the Decade!

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. David Pocock
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma’a Nonu
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Folau

Last edited by bsando on Tue 31 Dec 2019, 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

606v2 Team Of The Decade Empty Re: 606v2 Team Of The Decade

Post by LondonTiger Fri 20 Dec 2019, 11:06 am

Team sent.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Fri 20 Dec 2019, 12:05 pm

OK

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Mon 23 Dec 2019, 2:33 pm

Also sent

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:41 pm

Do we have to include a scot?

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:51 pm

Gooseberry wrote:Do we have to include a scot?

Ah bugger forgot the token Scot.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 23 Dec 2019, 9:29 pm

Hope this little fulla is in the team:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/118429311/dan-carter-named-world-rugbys-player-of-the-decade?cid=facebook.post&fbclid=IwAR1PxlplG6h44P5U7zXk-dri5XBgVL6hbD58g82bS_DbKczxvwZzXb1Krlc

Very Happy drumroll

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 30 Dec 2019, 12:58 am

Wales Online's World Rugby Team of the Decade

Fullback: Israel Folau (Australia)
Right wing: Ben Smith (New Zealand)
Centre: Jonathan Davies (Wales)
Second five-eighth: Ma'a Nonu (NZ)
Left wing: Julian Savea (NZ)
First five-eighth: Dan Carter (NZ)
Halfback: Fourie du Preez (South Africa)
No 8: Kieran Read (NZ)
Openside Flanker: Richie McCaw (NZ)
Blindside Flanker: Julien Bonnaire (France)
Lock: Brodie Retallick (NZ)
Lock: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales)
Tighthead Prop: Owen Franks (NZ)
Hooker: Dane Coles (NZ)
Loosehead Prop: Gethin Jenkins (Wales).

Boy, England and Ireland will love that side.

For NZ we still have Conrad Smith, Sam Whitelock, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino, all two time WC winners, and Aaron Smith and Beauden Barrett not making the side. But 9 of 15 for 2 WCups and a semi in the decade? probably fair...

Not sure about Bonnaire ahead of Kaino though.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 30 Dec 2019, 6:04 pm

Taylorman wrote:Wales Online's World Rugby Team of the Decade

For NZ we still have Conrad Smith, Sam Whitelock, Brad Thorn, Jerome Kaino, all two time WC winners, and Aaron Smith and Beauden Barrett not making the side. But 9 of 15 for 2 WCups and a semi in the decade? probably fair...

To quote the author of the article, unfortunately English and Irish players were not good enough to get in the side. Neither were the Scottish, Italian, Fijian or other players. I’d have Thierry Dusatoir in there just for his performance in the 2011 RWC alone. Magnificent player.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Wed 01 Jan 2020, 5:28 am

As was Kaino, who won two WCups and it seems Kaino's isnt rated outside NZ in terms of NZ's success, not making any of these sides, where for us he was critical. Having Barrett there in the 2019 final was a huge contrast.

The trip to Japan between was watched with a fair amount of apprehension. His pull back tackle on a determined Ioane was immense in 2011. Teams probably two or three Boks light as well.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Thu 02 Jan 2020, 1:50 pm

Pot Hale wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Wales Online's World Rugby Team of the Decade

To quote the author of the article, unfortunately English and Irish players were not good enough to get in the side.    Neither were the Scottish, Italian, Fijian or other players.   I’d have Thierry Dusatoir in there just for his performance in the 2011 RWC alone.  Magnificent player.  

I guess with this side its looked at performances through the decade. JD2 on the surface is a bit of a home pick, but has played through the decade and at all the world cups and 6 Lions tests. Hes maybe never been the greatest center, but on performances and presence through the decade the case can be made for him.

England really haven't had players like that, except I guess Dan Cole but his star has faded a bit. Brown losing his spot for the last world cup puts him out of the picture. As with France maybe theres a bit of a case of players being more easily discarded due to the larger player pools, and greater pressure for change when games are lost due to expectation levels. I dont think Wales have had specifically better players than England, but its easier for their top players to retain places during dips and become ever present figures.

Flipping that though you could have had Sexton ahead of Carter who only played half the decade and missed a chunk of that.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 02 Jan 2020, 2:56 pm

Alan Wyn Jones over Whitelock...wow the welsh do really have it big for him dont they!

Last edited by GeordieFalcon on Thu 02 Jan 2020, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Jan 2020, 3:46 pm

bsando wrote:Ladies and Gents, your 606v2 Team of the Decade!

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Sam Whitelock
6. David Pocock
7. Richie McCaw
8. Kieran Read
9. Aaron Smith
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Ma’a Nonu
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Ben Smith
15. Israel Folau

Similar to the side I submitted.

However, I felt that Pocock was 7 or nothing so had Kaino at 6. I had Conrad Smith at 13 and felt compelled to select Bryan Habana so moved Ben Smith to FB.

So went with 13 kiwis and 2 saffers

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 02 Jan 2020, 7:56 pm

I’d have probably found more room for a couple of boks if only to reflect the decades results, particularly by World Cup effort though until probably the semis in late October 2019 that wouldn’t have been as significant as it is now. Both hookers Du Plessis and Marx were significant. Etzebeth was the best of some good locks.
Might have found room for Farrell as he had a fair amount of impact on the decade overall. Sexton was similarly injured and didn’t figure in Ireland’s key World Cup matches. Where Carter ran the 2015 knockouts better than any 10 has before him.
For me the most outstanding player of the decade was Barrett, regardless of what anyone selected. Provided- by a mile- the most and most brilliant plays in test rugby over the decade in both attack and defence. 36 tries and 44 try assists- 80 in tests for the decade and some- at least a dozen, probably more, were in the outrageous category. There was simply no more talented player in rugby boots that reached the levels Barrett did, and certainly no one as deceptively quick over the ground.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 02 Jan 2020, 9:43 pm

Barrett would be my 22.

He was neither the best 10 nor the best 15 of the decade in my view.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Thu 02 Jan 2020, 11:55 pm

Nor mine, for me he was the best rugby player.

He wasnt defensively great either, but made great defensive plays. He's one of those where once you stick him into a cubby hole, like 10, or 15, or defence, or goalkicking, etc etc, you find reason not to select him.

But for sheer rugby talent and skills, and certainly pace off the mark consistently, there was no better player in the decade, McCaw, Carter included.

No one player was singly responsible for dominating, or influencing the end result, in as many tests as Barrett. Was by a mile the best impact as sub in the Pro era, when sub to Carter and Cruden at the start of his career.

Came on, and won tests, many times, and I very much doubt any single player will have a better test highlights reel for either quality or quantity of plays.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:56 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:Alan Wyn Jones over Whitelock...wow the welsh do really have it big for him dont they!

How can you not justify that...? AWJ is the best lock in the game at the moment and has been for half a decade.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 03 Jan 2020, 1:05 am

Yeah I would have gone with that as well. He peaked towards the end of the decade where Whitelock though a very good pairing with Retallick, who is the best lock of the decade, was more the consistent supporter- high quality but didnt reach the heights, probably pipped by AWJ and perhaps Itoje.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 03 Jan 2020, 1:09 am

Oh, and Happy new year Maes!

Coming down for the Welsh AB's?

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:15 am

Taylorman wrote:Oh, and Happy new year Maes!

Coming down for the Welsh AB's?

HNY Tman
Not sure about the tour... will see how the new regime works in the up coming six nations before thinking of a trip back to NZ...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 03 Jan 2020, 10:58 am

Obviously a lot of bias (as you would expect for these lists).

AWJ often gets included more for his captaincy. In terms of ability as a lock he probably isn’t in the top half dozen in the NH, never mind the World.

Jonathan Davies is another that seems to stick out as anomaly. Not top class by quite a margin.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:12 am

Longevity doesn't automatically mean great although it will mean good (and lack of competition). Over time some players develop more of an aura, for want of a better word, that probably helps the players around them play better and AWJ is one of those.

I don't think I have ever felt worried about him playing for the opposition though.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:38 am

Well it turns out that Rugby Dump and BBC also have hard-ons for AWJ. It's strange how English people always get really upset when they see Wales players' in these lineups.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:54 am

You need to remember that the Welsh love voting on these type of things. Recent studies show that more people watch Love Island than the news in Llantrisant and Big Gav’s series of The Bachelor was the most recorded show ever in Wales.

Apparently there was a petition created by Cardiff County Council to persuade the makers of Gavin and Stacey to enable viewers to choose their own ending by text.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Jan 2020, 11:57 am

That's reality TV though, and Love Island has 5 times the amount of viewers in England than in Wales, but don't let facts get in the way eh?

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:03 pm

I think with AWJ you can see what hes done with the Lions too. For a Welsh dominated side to reach parity with the Alll Blacks, thats something quite special. 

Hes one of those players who by sheer consistency over the decade was gradually won the respect of pretty much everyone, and clearly can cut it at the highest levels.

I get the point about Whitelock, its hard to know just how good individual components of the All Blacks machine are when so many can make a case for being the best. 

A few NH players I also feel can make a case to be in there:
Sexton ....Dan Carter is a legend but missed a lot of the decade and had a poor (by his standards) spell during it
Paul OConnell ...very much an AWJ figure, arguably better at his peak. Had he been born 4 years later it could easily have been him over AWJ but only played half the decade. 
Manu Tuillagi .... No player has made such an impact from day one as an 18 year old and so consistently in almost every test hes played. More than anything he deserves it for those punches on Ashton. Had it not been for the injuries, suspensions and conviction Im sure he'd be ahead of JD2. He is a player teams fear.
Phil Vickery ...To still be playing at his age is incredible
Gavin Henson and Cipriani ....if only  Rolling Eyes
Stuart Hogg ...to not have just given up flogging the dead dark horse by now is testament to the guys character. 
And lets not forget that Chris Ashton redefined wing play  chin

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:06 pm

mikey_dragon wrote:That's reality TV though, and Love Island has 5 times the amount of viewers in England than in Wales, but don't let facts get in the way eh?

Wales has a population of 3 million ....England 55 million....so if theres only 5 times the amount of viewers in England that kind of suggests something about the Welsh viewing habits. Unless you're making up facts to avoid impinging on opinions?

But please lets not squabble, its been very peaceful in here since Miaow left and stopped complaining about the WUMS  Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:11 pm

No, I'm just seriously struggling how an incorrect and irrelevant point is worth mentioning when discussing the rugby team of the decade (depending on which you're referring to as there's been a few).

3 millions vs 55 million? Shouldn't you have more players than us in the team of the decade then? Smile

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:14 pm

Gooseberry wrote:I think with AWJ you can see what hes done with the Lions too. For a Welsh dominated side to reach parity with the Alll Blacks, thats something quite special. 

Hes one of those players who by sheer consistency over the decade was gradually won the respect of pretty much everyone, and clearly can cut it at the highest levels.

I get the point about Whitelock, its hard to know just how good individual components of the All Blacks machine are when so many can make a case for being the best. 

A few NH players I also feel can make a case to be in there:
Sexton ....Dan Carter is a legend but missed a lot of the decade and had a poor (by his standards) spell during it
Paul OConnell ...very much an AWJ figure, arguably better at his peak. Had he been born 4 years later it could easily have been him over AWJ but only played half the decade. 
Manu Tuillagi .... No player has made such an impact from day one as an 18 year old and so consistently in almost every test hes played. More than anything he deserves it for those punches on Ashton. Had it not been for the injuries, suspensions and conviction Im sure he'd be ahead of JD2. He is a player teams fear.
Phil Vickery ...To still be playing at his age is incredible
Gavin Henson and Cipriani ....if only  Rolling Eyes
Stuart Hogg ...to not have just given up flogging the dead dark horse by now is testament to the guys character. 
And lets not forget that Chris Ashton redefined wing play  chin

Have to agree with that seeing as most of the English stopped bitching about him. He seems to be highly respected in NZ too. I probably would have selected Etzebeth to partner Retallick, or maybe bumped du Toit into the front 5. Whitelock is a great player but a bit down the pecking order for me. Smith at 9, a position where NZ don't tend to produce special players just shows there hasn't been much competition in that position.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:20 pm

Don't take it too personally Mikey. Mike Brown is an example of a player that England really rated for years but who only really registered outside of the country for a season or 2.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Gooseberry Fri 03 Jan 2020, 12:31 pm

Then again the England fans spent two years moaning about Brown till Daley got the job and suddenly he was world class again. Sometimes you don't know what you've got till its gone! His own worst enemy too...started and ended his test career with discipline problems. Theres lots of players who will end their careers with some regrets and what ifs, he really should be one of them. I doubt his presence would have made sufficient impact to change the course of that final .... but he should've been on the pitch for it.

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Fri 03 Jan 2020, 4:41 pm

1. Beast
2. Dan Coles
3. Adam Jones
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Brodie Retallick
6. Sam Warburton
7. Richie McCaw
8. David Pocock

9. Will Genia
10. Dan Carter
11. Julian Savea
12. Manu Tuilagi
13. Conrad Smith
14. Israel Folau
15. Leigh Halfpenny

16. Bismarck du Plessis
17. Joe Marler
18. Owen Franks
19. Sam Whitelock
20. Kieran Read
21. Aaron Smith
22. Owen Farrell
23. Ben Smith

in my humble opinion!!

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 03 Jan 2020, 5:00 pm

Taylorman wrote:Where Carter ran the 2015 knockouts better than any 10 has before him.

606v2 Team Of The Decade Source

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Fri 03 Jan 2020, 6:29 pm

guestalt_physicality wrote:
Taylorman wrote:Where Carter ran the 2015 knockouts better than any 10 has before him.

Ha ha, a winning drop goal in extra time is ‘running the knockouts’ ? If he had done so he wouldn’t need the extra time. Wind back to 95 and Stranskys already done that bizo. And carter dropped two crucial goals in the semi and final. Nothing new here.🤣

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 03 Jan 2020, 7:15 pm

My team of the decade:

Beast, Coles, Franks, whitelock, Rettalick, Kaino, McCaw, Read
Smith, Carter, Habana, Nonu, Smith, Savea, Smith

Reps: du Plessis, Jenkins, Cole, Jones, Pococo, Genia, Barrett, Folau

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 06 Jan 2020, 12:55 am

Sky Sports UK rugby team of the decade:

15 Israel Dagg (NZ), 14 Ben Smith (NZ), 13 Brian O'Driscoll (Ire), 12 Ma'a Nonu (NZ), 11 Bryan Habana (SA), 10 Dan Carter (NZ), 9 Aaron Smith (NZ), 8 Kieran Read (NZ), 7 Richie McCaw (NZ), 6 David Pocock (Aus), 5 Alun Wyn Jones (Wales), 4 Brodie Retallick (NZ), 3 Tadhg Furlong (Ire), 2 Dane Coles (NZ), 1 Tendai Mtawarira (SA).

Daggs interesting, was very good in 2010/2011 but struggled after that with injury. Bar four or five players...TH prop, 5 at lock, Blindside, fullback, and possibly both midfields, pretty much the same players...

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jan 2020, 12:55 pm

Has Beast really been the best loosehead? I don't think he'd make many peoples' teams if he hadn't just won the world cup. Seems to have taken the pick for longevity more than anything else. I remember seeing him take some absolute beastings (lol) in the scrum against all sorts of opposition, throughout the decade.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jan 2020, 12:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:

Ha ha, a winning drop goal in extra time is ‘running the knockouts’ ? If he had done so he wouldn’t need the extra time. Wind back to 95 and Stranskys already done that bizo. And carter dropped two crucial goals in the semi and final. Nothing new here.🤣

Yeah, you're talking about drop goals for Carter 'running the knockouts'. Wilko's already done that, as has Stransky, like you say. Bit of a weird one, Pollard was just as influential as Carter last year against tougher opposition. Japan were better than France from 2015, Wales were about the same standard as South Africa, and England definitely better than Australia. It's all hype and name over actual contribution. Great for adidas, mind...

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 06 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

England's Most Capped Team of the Decade

Marler
Hartley
Cole
Launchbury
Lawes
Haskell
Robshaw
Billy
Youngs
Ford (most caps at 10, Farrell has more overall but includes centre)
May
Farrell (Manu has the same number but less at 12)
Joseph
Ashton
Brown
Farrell

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 06 Jan 2020, 3:28 pm

Andy Farrell the 16th man?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddogflanker Mon 06 Jan 2020, 8:40 pm

1. Beast
2. Creevy
3. Franks
4. Etzebeth
5. Itoje
6. Kaino
7. Pocock
8. Read
9. Murray
10. Carter
11. Savea
12. Nonu
13. Tuilagi
14. Habana
15. B smith

16. George 17. Mako vunipola 18. Koch
19. Retalick 20. McCaw 21. B Youngs 22. Farrell 23. Daly.

Is my pick

Maddogflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 06 Jan 2020, 11:58 pm

Taylorman wrote:

Yeah, you're talking about drop goals for Carter 'running the knockouts'. Wilko's already done that, as has Stransky, like you say. Bit of a weird one, Pollard was just as influential as Carter last year against tougher opposition. Japan were better than France from 2015, Wales were about the same standard as South Africa, and England definitely better than Australia. It's all hype and name over actual contribution. Great for adidas, mind...

'Actual contribution' was not hype for Carters three knockouts in 2015. Or, if that was over hyped, Then few, if any have contributed 'actually. They were three sublime performances.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:16 am

guestalt_physicality wrote:Andy Farrell the 16th man?

Just a brainfart on my part.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Tue 07 Jan 2020, 9:17 am

I continue to be amazed at just how under-rated Conrad Smith is.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Tue 07 Jan 2020, 6:11 pm

Same goes for Kaino for us. I know the players themselves rate Smith highly. He controlled that outer midfield space better than most on attack and defence. Probably the smartest player of his time. Always Knew what to do.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down