The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

+7
I'm never wrong
super_realist
Plunky
McLaren
robopz
GPB
kwinigolfer
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just to get a thread going this week: And now this week too:

1).Round 1 of the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro-Am already complete and Round 2 just about to start.
You all know that the first three rounds of the tournament are played over three courses, Monterey Peninsula, Spyglass Hill and Pebble Beach, with the Top 60 and ties playing Sunday at Pebble. Scoring for Round 1 across each course was fairly even with Monterey Peninsula playing about 3/4 of a shot easier than the other two which were fairly even.

2).Canada's Nick Taylor played Monterey Peninsula and takes a two-stroke (to par) lead into Round 2.
Taylor is an interesting example of the golfer who has trouble turning a terrific amateur career into becoming a solid pro, albeit one who is under almost everyone's radar. From Number 1 Amateur in the World over a decade ago he stumbled along on the Candian Tour for three years before earning his PGA Tour card via Q-School - and then won an "opposite field" event in Mississippi almost immediately. He's kept his card ever since - but without another top 3 finish in 150+ events since, but banking $5M despite it all.

3).Pros are slowly qualifying for the WGC-Mexico (or, in the case of some big names like Mickelson & Spieth, not made it so far).
With the leading European Tour players slowly migrating to the US for this week and next, the R2D qualifiers for Mexico are already established - those not already sure to be otherwise exempt include:
Lucas Herbert
McDowell (probably in via owgr To 50)
Grace
Bezuidenhout
Larrazabal

4).The courses this week play short by Tour standards, as does next week's venue, Riviera, classic courses that no doubt figure in any thinking about "Distance".
There's loads of opinion and comment about what to do, and the "problem" if indeed there is one, is that the golf ball travels about a yard further off the tee each year.
A devil's advocate might say that there never ever was a certain preferred distance for the ball to travel, so why not make equipment adjustments to somehow regulate distance to fit most courses?
Regardless, so long as long and straight always brings players an advantage over the rest, I can't see why "regulation" is an issue - a load of nonsense guys like Mickelson saying greater athleticism should be rewarded. Of course it should but not by playing on 9,000 yard courses with no rough - there's got to be a better way, so all credit to Phil and DJ tailoring their games to enjoy such success at Pebble, and to Bubba for shot-making his way to three Rivera wins (not to mention three "Travelers" wins.

5).Anyway, there's a nice mix of long and not quite so long on this week's leaderboard, though not yet any Europeans in the Top 20. The weather is fine but chilly, with calmish conditions today, breezy for Round 3.
Let's hope the golf matches the gorgeous scenery around the Monterey Peninsula.

Riviera:

6).Great field for the Genesis Open, can't remember a stronger field except for WGC's / Players /Majors.
But a shame that Tommy Fleetwood won't be there, would think Riviera is right up his street.

Last edited by kwinigolfer on Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by kwinigolfer Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:45 pm

I LOVE the look of Riviera, especially love that 8th hole. But what a shame it's not 60 yards longer!

Woods looking very very good. To state the bleedin' obvious as our friend gaelgowler would have said.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher - Page 2 Empty Re: PGA Tour: Return to Pebble Beach, And Now Riviera: Notes from the Ballwasher

Post by I'm never wrong Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:44 pm

I like the commentators on PGA Tour Live. Following Finau/Spieth/Homa and Woods/Thomas/Thomas groups are Mark Wilson, Daniel Chopra, Phil Taraurangi and John Swantek. Very easy on the ear, and self deprecating.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 pm

Interesting Inw, Never heard any of them!

Nice to see some return to form for the Bahamian Rose & Scott, but Tiger Woods must feel he's between two stools - a bit far off the lead but obligated to play four rounds. Does that mean he's likely to miss Mexico? 'S'pose we'll find out soon.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:44 pm

Kwini, as much as you follow golf, you should subscribe to PGATour Live. They generally do a good job of covering the featured groups. Just $60 a year which is the equivalent of a starbucks coffee once every three weeks.

I don't know what CBS was thinking when they hired DL3 as an announcer. He is terrible.

Riviera is looking better than this year than I remember it. Maybe it is the vivid Sunshine in Los Angeles this week.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:25 pm

GPB,
Re PGATour Live - trouble is, there's so much other sport to watch; as much as I can do to deny myself ESPN+ for footie. But we DO get MLB & YES. Plus the Tennis Channel of course.

I reckon DL3 has been better than I expected, but think they've lost a lot by not renewing Kostis.

Waiting for the results of the 5.00 p.m. commitments!

Ah ha! No Woods, as robo suspected.

Edit: No Rose either. No Koepka. No Day (of course). No Stenson. Perhaps one or two others, not sure. No Fowler.
They're going to go pretty deep in to the alternates at this rate.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:38 pm

67 commitments to Mexico, Assuming no 11th hour commitments that means they are going 5 deep on alternates

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/wgc-mexico-championship/en/field.html

DNPs
Patrick Cantlay
Jason Day
Rickie Fowler
Brooks Koepka
Justin Rose
Henrik Stenson
Tiger Woods

Assuming no 11th hour commitments that means they are going 5 deep on alternates, which as of this week's OWGR would be IJP, Lewis, Morikawa, Scheffler, Mickelson, Putnam.

Morikawa and Scheffler are in position to crack the Top 50 this week, to earn a spot on merit. Barring a win from a longshot, they are about the only two in position to crack the Top 50

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:40 pm

The PGATour live is generally in the morning, I starting watching a 9 am Central. Will get to watch at 6:30 Central when the tour goes to Florida in a couple weeks. Not much other sports at that time.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:54 pm

Puerto Rico field includes Tom Lewis

https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/puerto-rico-open/field.html

Some other notables.

Garrigus and Every! Tee time of 4:20 might be a little too late!

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:30 pm

By skipping Mexico Tiger shows that he taking his goal of playing the Olympics seriously.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Doh

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:24 pm

GPB wrote:By skipping Mexico Tiger shows that he taking his goal of playing the Olympics seriously.

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes  Doh

Four putts from 20 feet won't help him either.

Matty Fitz with the best round on the course in the early going.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Ryan Palmer having bunker problems - nine on a par 3 and looks like six were taken in the sand. How d'he do that?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:20 pm

I wish the TV broadcaster would concentrate on the top groups of players instead of Tiger. Tiger has no chance of winning but we are seeing practically all his shots but none of the groups behind the leaders. I understand why they are doing it, but they should be working now to create interest in other players.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:52 pm

Every US TV Golf coverage is Tiger TV.
Hopefully he won't receive much coverage next week - but you never know . . . . . . .

Love to watch Scott, just about as much as Rory.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:57 pm

It's got a bit better. Now just the front two groups it seems.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:09 pm

17 shots for the top three at the par 4 fifth. All change

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:10 pm

A horlicks of a hole for Scott & Rory . . . . . . .

This mess brings Dustin Johnson into the mix, among others.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:46 pm

Just finished a day of skiing (McCauley Kwin) and hoping to watch Rory bring it home in style. Quite a hole he's put himself in. Still, if anyone could do it ...

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:51 pm

I’ve never seen Rory climbing out of a hole he’s dug himself. He might make a late run, but only when it’s too late.

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:58 am

pedro wrote:I’ve never seen Rory climbing out of a hole he’s dug himself. He might make a late run, but only when it’s too late.

He'll definitely look upon that as one that got away.

Rory made an 18-footer on the 18th but still "lost" over two "strokes putting". But extends his lead a Numero Uno going in to next week's WGC where he finished runner up last year.
And Tony Finau has dropped out of "Mexico" so hopefully that gets Poults in.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:16 am

Poulter falls to 5th alternate. He will probably be the last guy in WGC Mexico.

Full Disclosure, Yes I realize that I am no Poulter fan,

But not playing the last two weeks when he was sitting right on the Top 50 bubble should DQ him from playing the WGC Mexico.

Of course that is not enforceable.  He must have read Shane Lowry's chapter on tournament scheduling. In a Ryder Cup year, with nearly guaranteed OWGR points and RtD points, he should be doing everything he can to be playing the co-sanctioned events

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:57 am

Larrazabal has some issues with Mexico Customs

https://twitter.com/plarrazabal/status/1229227522749063168

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:55 am

kwinigolfer wrote:
pedro wrote:I’ve never seen Rory climbing out of a hole he’s dug himself. He might make a late run, but only when it’s too late.

He'll definitely look upon that as one that got away.

Rory made an 18-footer on the 18th but still "lost" over two "strokes putting". But extends his lead a Numero Uno going in to next week's WGC where he finished runner up last year.
And Tony Finau has dropped out of "Mexico" so hopefully that gets Poults in.

Maybe having a domestic with one of his 10 wives.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:57 am

I'm never wrong wrote:I wish the TV broadcaster would concentrate on the top groups of players instead of Tiger. Tiger has no chance of winning but we are seeing practically all his shots but none of the groups behind the leaders. I understand why they are doing it,  but they should be working now to create interest in other players.

That's one of the many reasons that US Golf coverage is absolutely unwatchable.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:58 am

I'm never wrong wrote:I wish the TV broadcaster would concentrate on the top groups of players instead of Tiger. Tiger has no chance of winning but we are seeing practically all his shots but none of the groups behind the leaders. I understand why they are doing it,  but they should be working now to create interest in other players.

Saw a couple of things about the coverage. Have to take with a pinch of salt as I think I gleamed them from social media.

Someone topped a drive on the 10th apparently - not shown, I think they said DL3 mentioned it.

Max Homa had one highlight shown. Rickeeeee had 2.

Fowler wasn't playing, and still managed more coverage laughing

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by pedro Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:59 am

Tiger yesterday, after his 2nd tournament in 2 months. "I’m a little run-down".

pedro

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:06 am

Roller_Coaster wrote:

Saw a couple of things about the coverage. Have to take with a pinch of salt as I think I gleamed them from social media.

Someone topped a drive on the 10th apparently - not shown, I think they said DL3 mentioned it.

Max Homa had one highlight shown. Rickeeeee had 2.

Fowler wasn't playing, and still managed more coverage  laughing

I wonder if the "highlights" are produced in GB or US? Max Homa got plenty of coverage on CBS, but disappointed not to see HV's topped drive on #10 - 129 yards reportedly. That's what I do, but far more frequently.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:23 pm

We all pretty much know who's going to be in Mexico City this week, but several Europeans will be in Puerto Rico.
Among them:
Noren,
Norlander,
Andrea Pavan
Bjerregard
Cappelen
Cejka
Freddie Jac
Ace Ventura
Laird
Hovland (Vikkie needs to start taking some of his opportunities as he slides down the reshuffle ranking)
Tom Lewis
Power
Taylor
Lingmerth
Brian Davis is first alternate and will most likely squeeze in.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:02 pm

INW ... with Tiger playing less and less these days, expect to see more and more of him during those events he does play (particularly in days 1 and 2 when the cut looms). They will ride that horse into the sunset.

Of course, if it really bothers someone there are the two options: (1) stop watching or (2) get off your wallet and buy a TV Network, negotiate the TV rights and then edit the viewing as you see fit! Wink

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:58 pm

Death announced of Mickey Wright - a legend in the golf community of a generation or two gone by.
13 Majors, 82 tournament wins, a swing to die for (best I've seen, said Hogan). Survived breast cancer but apparently not a heart attack.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Plunky Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:01 pm

Didn't realize until I read an obituary that at one point she won 44 lpga events in a period of just 4 years !

Plunky

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm

Plunky wrote:Didn't realize until I read an obituary that at one point she won 44 lpga events in a period of just 4 years !

Nice tribute on golfchannel.com from Rich Lerner.
Wish she had still been active for the TV era. As it is, don't believe I've ever seen her in competition other than archive stuff.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by GPB Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:39 pm

RIP Mickey The Greta Garbo of Golf.

She never exploited her place in golf. I have not seen a recent a picture of her

After she "retired" she played occasionally on the LPGA Tour. I saw her on TV in this tournament in 1979, where she lost to Nancy Lopez in a 5 way playoff. Other losers in the playoff were Bonnie Bryant, JoAnn Washam, & Hollis Stacy. I don't think she played many more after that tournament.

In the mid-80s she played in a Senior exhibition and I remember seeing an article of the current stars of the LPGA congregating around her as she was hitting range balls.

Would have loved to see her playing in her prime.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler-Plymouth_Classic

Does anyone know what distinction Bonnie Bryant has on the LPGA tour?

Spoiler:

Good friend of mine went to High School with Hollis Stacy.

GPB

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:46 pm

Bonnie Bryant - I think so!

Interesting comments from Koepka about Patrick Reed about "building sandcastles" at the "Hero". Assume the Tour will fine him, as they did Cameron Smith . . . . . . Nah? Didn't think so.
But don't imagine they'll be paired at Whistling Straits either.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:36 am

I likes Brooke's, he just says what he wants. Has anyone seen the tiger after round interviews on twitter with Henni Zuel (?) He actually comes across ok, but looks pretty thin in the most recent he doesn't look well at all.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:40 am

beninho wrote:I likes Brooke's, he just says what he wants. Has anyone seen the tiger after round interviews on twitter with Henni Zuel (?) He actually comes across ok, but looks pretty thin in the most recent  he doesn't look well at all.

I think he's had Botox, there's definitely something up with his face.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:01 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/51564697

Hopefully others will soon follow Rory's example and refuse to partake in the ridiculous world golf league. I think Rory is trying to set the tone and make it easier for others to make the same decision. Good riddance to them.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 pm

It would have been like those stupid limited field events every week.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:10 pm

It would have been creditworthy to the max. Entrance music, terrible US style team names, contrived rivalries, endless play offs so no one ever has to be out of the running, dodgy strips, RC style clueless fans. It would have been terrible.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:15 pm

I'd rather there was a World Tour with a Championship under tour with relegation/promotion.
The problem with golf is too many dreary courses. Having a mix of PGA and European Tour stops would be good. Might anger the passport dodging Yanks, but think it would be better than current set up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:28 pm

We all love golf, either wise we wouldn't be on here. But, it really could do with something to pump it up a bit. It's just to long at 4 days, and a whole days tv. A shorter form made for tv series would work. But, it will take a brave person to get involved.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:57 pm

beninho wrote:We all love golf, either wise we wouldn't be on here. But, it really could do with something to pump it up a bit. It's just to long at 4 days, and a whole days tv. A shorter form made for tv series would work. But, it will take a brave person to get involved.

Here's something to pump it up:

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/peter-kostis-ive-seen-patrick-reed-improve-lies-close-and-personal

Cam Smith ought to be asking for his money back.
Wonder what will happen with Reed, clearly he's got "previous", not just building "sand castles" in The Bahamas but thru'out his career. Fortunately, he knows that, should he be sanctioned for being, like Fletch, "a habitual offender" Drumpf will pardon him.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by I'm never wrong Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:10 pm

GPB wrote:Poulter falls to 5th alternate.  He will probably be the last guy in WGC Mexico.

Full Disclosure, Yes I realize that I am no Poulter fan,

But not playing the last two weeks when he was sitting right on the Top 50 bubble should DQ him from playing the WGC Mexico.

Of course that is not enforceable.  He must have read Shane Lowry's chapter on tournament scheduling. In a Ryder Cup year, with nearly guaranteed OWGR points and RtD points, he should be doing everything he can to be playing the co-sanctioned events

I have to agree with you here GPB, and I like Poulter. Either he gambled and a perfect storm blew him out of contention - Sun Kang finishing second perhaps. Or he never intended to play, which I think is a bit odd. He's not playing Puerto Rico either. I read somewhere that IJP keeps a beady eye on his position as regards FedEx/OWGR/R2D but he's made a couple of mistakes recently, so I wonder if he has taken his eye off the ball.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:13 pm

https://youtu.be/_AeijbXrjjU

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Ben

I agree that golf coverage is dire but I think the underlying format is fine.

There are also enough big tournaments every year where the fans get the chance to see most of the top players compete, if we consider the majors, WGC's, play offs, premium PGAT events (memorial, players, APinv) as the bigger events.

I certainly wouldn't want to see gimmicks introduced to either the tournament formats or the TV coverage. Although something needs done about the TV coverage.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:35 pm

beninho wrote:https://youtu.be/_AeijbXrjjU

That is blatant, you would get picked for that at your clubs weekend comp. How did he get away with that at the time?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:51 pm

Gotta love how Kostis calls this out. Priceless.

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:59 pm

I wouldn't usually listen to NLU but I might check out the episode Kostis is on. Would be good to hear some of his stories.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2