The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidana vs Guerrero - Aug 27th

+16
oxring
WelshDevilRob
Imperial Ghosty
peakbay
Young_Towzer
coxy0001
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Michaels, Sean
88Chris05
Billy Shears
whotobeA
Daz
TRUSSMAN66
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
wow_junky
Sugar Boy Sweetie
20 posters

Go down

Maidana vs Guerrero - Aug 27th Empty Maidana vs Guerrero - Aug 27th

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:09 pm

Looks like this fight is almost certain to go ahead in august. I see this as a great fight. Maidana is a strong light welter and big puncher, needs a good win to re-establish himself after his loss to khan and lacklustre showing against morales. Guerrero will be coming up from 135lb but looked fantastic in his last fight there against katsidas who has similar traits and attributes to maidana. Southpaw guerrero was able to work behind a quality jab and fire off solid combinations, showed good lateral movement and ring generalship. He also looked massive at the weight so should have no problems fighting at 140. I'm gonna back Guerrero to repeat his performance against katsidas by outclassing maidana with his jab, movement and counterpunching.

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=28308&more=1

How'd you see this fight going?
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Maidana vs Guerrero - Aug 27th Empty Re: Maidana vs Guerrero - Aug 27th

Post by wow_junky Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:10 pm

Great fight, depends which Maidana shows up though.

Guerrero can outbox him handily if Maidana isn't 100% focussed.

wow_junky

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:24 pm

Maidana coudlnt catch khan for 9 rounds and morales cleanly. Guerrero will box his head of imo, he did a number on katsidis and I can't see maidana taking that sort of punishment, TKO round 9-11

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:26 pm

Why is Maidana a big name.....Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales....

Undeserving of his status..

Hope Guerry does him.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:43 pm

Guerrero all the way - will box his way to a wide UD. Will be a good measuring stick to how good he is compared to Khans performance.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by whotobeA Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

I probably think Maidana will be outboxed (again!) but at the same time i think when a fighter has a dig as dangerous as Maidana's is then these fights are made very interesting.

whotobeA

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:56 pm

whotobeA wrote:I probably think Maidana will be outboxed (again!) but at the same time i think when a fighter has a dig as dangerous as Maidana's is then these fights are made very interesting.

Very bloody true. Round 10 Khan springs to mind!

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Billy Shears Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:01 pm

I think Maidana is a slightly bigger stronger version of Kats.

Essentially Guerrero will have to be a bit more aware of taking shots than against Kats, but we all know he's got plenty going on up stairs. If he gets his tactics right, I predict a wide UD.

Billy Shears

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:02 pm

Can't see anything other than a points win for Guerrero here, providing he sticks to a game plan for twelve full rounds. Maidana is a slightly more 'glammed up' version of Prescott. He's a puncher, but that's it. His struggles against Morales said it all, for me. His power will keep Guerrero on his toes, he'll get the crowd on the edge of their seat two or three times as he looks like he might break through, but I think Guerrero will adapt each time to make sure he doesn't and take it by something like 116-112.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Daz Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:04 pm

88Chris05 wrote:Can't see anything other than a points win for Guerrero here, providing he sticks to a game plan for twelve full rounds. Maidana is a slightly more 'glammed up' version of Prescott. He's a puncher, but that's it. His struggles against Morales said it all, for me. His power will keep Guerrero on his toes, he'll get the crowd on the edge of their seat two or three times as he looks like he might break through, but I think Guerrero will adapt each time to make sure he doesn't and take it by something like 116-112.

Nice summary Chris. I have it a tad wider but cant argue with that.

Daz

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Why is Maidana a big name.....Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales....

Undeserving of his status..

Hope Guerry does him.

Because he smashed up the guy deemed good enough to fight Mayweather.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:11 pm

Mad the way everyone has jumped on the Guerrero bandwagon after his performance against Kats. He needs to put in a couple more performances like that to win me over.

As Chris said if Maidana is being taught a boxing lesson from Morales, this should be an easy night for Guerrero. What worries me is that Guerrero only got hit clean couple times against Kats and touched down once.

I can for see a score like Chris's 116-112 Guerrero and thats with a couple of scares a long the way.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by coxy0001 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:17 pm

Providing Guerrero doesn't go to war i fancy him to simply outbox Maidana. His chin at the weight against a murderous puncher is a worry though... Be very, very interesting to see the odds though

coxy0001

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:21 pm

Guerrero to comfortably outbox Maidana a lot wider points win that Khan did. Guerrero is very fast, if he moves up with his speed i see this being a very, very easy win for him.

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by peakbay Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:24 pm

i just don't see what the big fuss is with maidana, like what trussman66 said he Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales.... plus hes slow really slow and cant box for **** yes hes got a big punch but i wouldn't say it was anything special . i predict this will be a huge beat down and Guerrero to stop him quite easily he looked huge against kats and faster which doesn't look good for maidana considering how SLOW he is he really is SLOW did i mention he was painfully slow

peakbay

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:49 pm

peakbay wrote:i just don't see what the big fuss is with maidana, like what trussman66 said he Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales.... plus hes slow really slow and cant box for **** yes hes got a big punch but i wouldn't say it was anything special . i predict this will be a huge beat down and Guerrero to stop him quite easily he looked huge against kats and faster which doesn't look good for maidana considering how SLOW he is he really is SLOW did i mention he was painfully slow

He's slow enough to nearly have Amir out of there.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:53 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:
peakbay wrote:i just don't see what the big fuss is with maidana, like what trussman66 said he Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales.... plus hes slow really slow and cant box for **** yes hes got a big punch but i wouldn't say it was anything special . i predict this will be a huge beat down and Guerrero to stop him quite easily he looked huge against kats and faster which doesn't look good for maidana considering how SLOW he is he really is SLOW did i mention he was painfully slow

He's slow enough to nearly have Amir out of there.

He also smashed up Ortiz who is suddenly the Yank's Golden Boy again. Most people, including me, have barely seen Guerrero fight. It's just conjecture off the back of the Katsidis win.
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by peakbay Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:13 pm

yes he did smash ortiz up, but ortiz had him down a few times then decided when things got tough to quit. he did redeem himself with the burto win but that is ortiz who gets the credit for that not maidana

peakbay

Back to top Go down

Post by Young_Towzer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:27 pm

He also smashed up Ortiz who is suddenly the Yank's Golden Boy again. Most people, including me, have barely seen Guerrero fight. It's just conjecture off the back of the Katsidis win.
Hardly, Ortiz floored him as well a few times, and was doing the better of the two until he lost his head, Ortiz hasn't done badly since though has he? what is he? mmmm WBC champ, thought so Very Happy

Young_Towzer

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:29 pm

Maidana still managed to make the guy quit with clean effective power punching

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Michaels, Sean Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:32 pm

Young_Towzer wrote:He also smashed up Ortiz who is suddenly the Yank's Golden Boy again. Most people, including me, have barely seen Guerrero fight. It's just conjecture off the back of the Katsidis win.
Hardly, Ortiz floored him as well a few times, and was doing the better of the two until he lost his head, Ortiz hasn't done badly since though has he? what is he? mmmm WBC champ, thought so Very Happy

are you slow in real life or does it just come across that way on line?
Michaels, Sean
Michaels, Sean

Back to top Go down

Post by WelshDevilRob Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:39 pm

Early thoughts on this are that Guerrero wins on points. Maidan has power but seems a one trick pony.

WelshDevilRob

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

Gut feeling on Guerrero - but a lot depends upon how Maidana has taken the close Morales decision. If he's picked learnt the right lessons and gone away and worked - he has the tools to beat anyone. Huge power, good feints, reasonable footwork (but limited defence).
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

if khan gets passed judah (which i think he will), and the bradley fight can't be made, then i can see khan having a defense with the winner of this fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:51 pm

"Why is Maidana a big name.....Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales....Undeserving of his status.."

or

"Mad the way everyone has jumped on the Guerrero bandwagon after his performance against Kats."
Oh dear, It's all very confusing isn't it? So, is this going to be a great fight or another dud match up featuring two massive hype jobs?

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:53 pm

DAVE667 wrote:"Why is Maidana a big name.....Lost to Kotelnik, Khan and got lucky against the pensioner Morales....Undeserving of his status.."

or

"Mad the way everyone has jumped on the Guerrero bandwagon after his performance against Kats."
Oh dear, It's all very confusing isn't it? So, is this going to be a great fight or another dud match up featuring two massive hype jobs?

Am not sold on Gurrero yet Dave. Its easy to look good against someone who plods forward. Doesnt look like this fight will be much different either.

The guy got took to school by Salido

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:00 pm

You decide....however guerry does have some class..

maidana is a lower weight gerry cooney.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

Don't think Katsidis could be considered a plodder, but he was comprehensively out boxed by Guerrero and Marquez...two excellent counter punchers and arguably Guerrero made a better job of dealing with Kats than JMM. Yes, Marquez stopped him but he shipped a lot of punishment in the process. Guerrero hardly had a glove laid on him.

Perhaps Guerrero's wife's illness had a part to play in his previous performances but on the back of their last outings, Guerrero certainly looks the better of the two.

However, I agree, Guerrero is yet another in a long line of fighters being hyped up on these boards after one high profile showing on TV. Wasn't so long ago that certain posters were claiming Katsidis was their favourite fighter (after his demolition of Kevin Mitchell). If people aren't dribbling on about Guerrero, they're creaming themselves over Victor Ortiz or Saul Alverez (or at least they were until the Hatton fight).

It's tiresome!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

It's not the fact he beat Katsidis...it's how I did it the crisp combinations, footwork and the fundamentals.....

You can see he has the tools to do well at the highest level..unlike the other never-do-well...who's destined to earn lot's of dough by being an opponent.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:11 pm

they're creaming themselves over Victor Ortiz or Saul Alverez

Fear not Dave the Alvarez bandwagon will come to a halt when Sheffield's finest gives him a hiding this weekend. Come on Ryan

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:17 pm

it's how I did it the crisp combinations, footwork and the fundamentals.....
Well, when Guerrero is accosted at a wine tasting party hosted by his father-in-law (who paid for all the drinks) and someone off his head on Lambrini or something equally distasteful insults his dress sense, I'm sure he'll follow your example and attempt to defeat the severely impaired individual using supposedly superior linguistics before being ejected from the prmises and told in no uncertain terms not to return until he can behave in a manner befitting the standards of the Didsbury Wine and Cheese Appreciation Society.

Combinations and footwork...yeah, the one two shuffle out the door! I knew it was garbage when you tried to convince everyone that you'd been to a place where there was a band playing...I'd have had an easier time believing Windy had gotten into a scrap at a Motorhead gig!

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

Sensible debate is obviously not your forte..

Should have known better...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The genius of PBF Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:31 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Sensible debate is obviously not your forte..

Should have known better...

Unrelated boxing stuff again Truss but we shouldn't be suprised...Maidana has already been exposed by Kotelnik, Khan and Morales.

The genius of PBF

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

I'm off for half an hour. Can I trust you pair to play nicely ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:36 pm

I don't know what his problem is pbf...

Just fires off insults that are uncalled for!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:59 pm

Please debate nicely folks. I'd hate to have to start locking and deleting. It pains me.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down