The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Majestic Jenson Button

+13
fantantonio
Cheesehead United
Belgarion of Riva
Adam D
MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch
sportform
BATH_BTGOG
CaledonianCraig
Alessandro Ciambella
Bull
Fernando
Ayrshirebhoy
dyrewolfe
17 posters

Go down

Majestic Jenson Button Empty Majestic Jenson Button

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:19 pm

What a race...what a drive!

Easily up there with anything I've seen in the last 10 years or so. In the chaos that was the Canadian Grand PRix, it would've been so easy for him to come to grief, as several other drivers did. Indeed, Alonso nearly put paid to Jenson's race, but only succeeded in ending his own.

In the pits a total of 6 times, including a drive-through penalty and a puncture, he fought his way from 21st all the way to the front, hammering in fastest lap after fastest lap, hunting down Schumacher and Webber, closing in on Vettel at over a second a lap, with both time and laps running out.

In the end, the pressure told, leading to Vettel's error on the final lap, which handed the lead to Button. I suppose if nothing else, it proves Sebastian Vettel is human after all.

If anyone doubted Jenson Button's desire and racing ability before, today he has answered those critics in the most emphatic fashion possible.

clap Fantastic drive Jenson - without doubt the driver of the day.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Majestic Jenson Button Empty Re: Majestic Jenson Button

Post by Ayrshirebhoy Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

Best race Iv seen in years! Well done button!

Ayrshirebhoy

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:22 pm

unfortunately the Ferrari International Assistance will probably give him a penalty for the alonso incident Sad

absolutely superb driver by jenson 5 stops and a drive through and he still won Smile

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:27 pm

Great Drive By Jenson hope he does not get the pen for the alonso RACING incident . im a ferrari fan and that was just a incident

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:30 pm

That was for all the doubters who say Jenson Button can't overtake, that he is not ruthless enough and he does not have the conviction to be a reall winner.

Well he showed everybody what a sensational driver he is. Last to first in under 20 laps. Stunning.

Arise Sir Jenson Button MBE!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sun 12 Jun 2011, 10:40 pm

Mind you I suppose a special mention should be given to Bernd Maylander too...must've driven half a grand prix distance today! Wink

@fernando: If the stewards do penalise Button for that, it would be an absolute disgrace. As far as I can tell there was little difference between that and the incident where Hamilton ran into Webber (which they eventually decided not to take any further action on).

There were so many incidents today it looks like the stewards will be working long into the night.

Still a good result for Red Bull. Seb stretches his championship lead a little more, as do the team in the constructors title.

Great result for Schumi today...the best he's driven since his comeback. Seemed happy despite missing out on a podium.

Good drives from Petrov and Massa too - decent finishes considering the chaotic nature of the race. Some more brilliant driving from Kobayashi - deserved better than 7th but a good finish nonetheless. A good race for Toro Rosso too with both Algie and Buemi finishing in the top 10. Good to see Barrichello finishing in the points too.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:10 pm

Immense race - absolutely immense. I really cannot see the stewards daring to take this win away from Jenson Button as it was such an unbelievable drive and would gain them incredible criticism.

Such was Button's pace I'd hazard a guess that their gamble of a wet race set-up paid off so credit to them there. Vettel showed that he is human with his last lap error and Mark Webber I think will be reasonably happy (considering what went before) to finish third. Michael Schumacher drove the best race of his comeback to finish fourth and special mention to Jaime Alguesari for his finish well in the points as he started from the pit lane.

A memorable race and well worth the wait.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:19 pm

Fantastic drive from Jenson, Lets hope this has put all the doubters to bed (but I fear at best it will keep them quite for a week or so)

Jenson is a great driver
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by sportform Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:32 pm

A great win for Jenson Button and he deserved that after lucking out in Monaco. The McLaren seems to have been the quickest race car for the past few Grand Prix and that could bode well for the remainder of the season.

The Canadian Grand Prix was a great advert for Formula 1 today and I'm sure the FIA won't be foolish enough to 'shoot themselves in the foot'.

Ps - How genuine was Lewis Hamilton's grin?
sportform
sportform

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Sun 12 Jun 2011, 11:37 pm

sportsville I wouldn't be so excited about McLaren's apparent great pace today. I'd say that was more down to them gambling on going for a wet set-up (unlike Red Bull and Ferrari amongst others) and bot did that pay off.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:01 am

Stunning, epic race. Well done Jenson - that was an unbelievable performance.

Also well done to Brundle and Coulthard who filled about an hour of TV with some really funny banter and discussion. Didn't make the wait drag at all. And the wait was totally worth it

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:14 am

I will freely admit that I dont like F1 but that race last night had me hooked.

Was flicking channels and caught the last 45 minutes of it - absolutely gripped by it.

Might even watch the next race now!

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by MtotheC's Wrasslin Biatch Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:18 am

Hobo wrote:I will freely admit that I dont like F1 but that race last night had me hooked.

Was flicking channels and caught the last 45 minutes of it - absolutely gripped by it.

Might even watch the next race now!

Usually that would be a mistake that would burn you Hobo, but this season is delivering excitement every single race weekend. I thoroughly reccomend you keep watching.

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgarion of Riva Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:36 am

Great win by Jenson and fantastic aggression as well. I hope he keeps this up as a lot of people write him off for his lack of aggression. Makes him a truly exciting driver. The way he blocked of Hamilton and put him in the wall was similar to what Schumacher did to Barichello. I didn't know Jenson had it in him. Great stuff, the way he dealt with Alonso as well was great. This is what we want to see, please Jenson, keep it up.

It's up to all the drivers to take the fight to Vettel or we are going to have a boring season. I hope everyone sees that Vettel is not unbeatable and can break when put under pressure.

Bring on the next race. Hopefully Vettel can have a couple of DNFs and everyone comes close together so we have 5-6 guys fighting it out.

A great performance from Schumi as well. Great race

Finally a comment for Hamilton, you handled yourself in the press well today, he needs to realise that Jenson is not the nice guy that will let himself get trampled over and also know when to push and when to play the percentages game. If Hamilton had been patient today, it could easily have been a Mclaren 1-2 as they had the pace.

Last edited by Belgarion of Riva on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Belgarion of Riva

Back to top Go down

Post by BATH_BTGOG Mon 13 Jun 2011, 11:01 am

?
BATH_BTGOG
BATH_BTGOG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheesehead United Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:44 pm

Fantastic race, it had everything. Don't always get to watch F1, but so glad I did yesterday. What a drive from Button. Delighted when Alonso went spinning aswell. Very Happy

Cheesehead United

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:16 pm

It seems like Alonso and Hamilton are in a very similar boat this season. Both as we all know are world class drivers but are being held back by their teams in comparison to Vettel who not only has the best car on the grid but has also been on the receiving end of alot of luck this season, whether it be he is driving on the other side of the track when the safety car comes out so he can pit and still come out leading or not as yet having any punctures or mechanical failures which hinder his race performance.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:58 pm

yes was an excellent drive, just wish Schumacher was 3rd instead of webber.

welshy824

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:57 pm

As much as I agree Jenson is one of the best drivers on the grid, I believe that come the end of the season Hamilton will have more points. I insist that someone holds me to account with this comment come the chequered flag in Brazil.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:34 pm

No doubt it will be Allessandro. you can almost guarantee it

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:56 pm

I enjoy Alessandro massively bias opinion, at least you know where you stand with him.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:18 pm

@Belgarion:

I'm pretty certain Button's putting Hamilton into the wall wasn't intentional.

Although from the numerous video replays Brundle asked for, Jenson can be seen looking in his left mirror, with the amount of spray, its quite possible he either didn't see Lewis, or only had a vague idea of where he was.

From Lewis' on-board camera, it showed he was only about level with Jenson's rear wheel when Button moved across.

When Schumacher nearly put Barrichello into the pit wall, it was dry and Rubens was alongside him. It was clearly intentional (and quite malicious in my opinion).

Button moved across the track because he was following the racing line (Schumacher, who was ahead of him at the time, took a similar line).

I'd chalk it up as an unfortunate racing incident...a mixture of bad luck and bad judgement. I'd like to think if Jenson HAD seen him, or had a clearer idea of where Hamilton was, he'd have left just enough room so that Hamilton didn't hit the wall.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 13 Jun 2011, 6:56 pm

fantantonio wrote:I enjoy Alessandro massively bias opinion, at least you know where you stand with him.

Well that is true, at least you do know where you stand with him. Though im not too sure about enjoying.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by F1ango Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:36 pm

I have always thought that Jenson went to Mclaren to study Lewis' driving skills and yesterday was the result.
I have never thought that JB was a nice (pushover type) guy, he is in it for himself. nicey nicey hmm, that's the way to do it?
When JB forced Lewis into the pit wall, LH was told by the Mclaren team to retire from the race because of damage to his car, he said later it was only a puncture. He had ben making his way back to the pits, when he was told to park his car, he could have got back out in the race.
I don't think we will hear anything from Ferrari...they won't want Vettel to have another win, so the only acceptable penalty, would be a grid drop at the next race. It's only LH who gets ridiculous decisions, like Spa 2008 when he won without KERS or DRS, & Ferrari were gifted his win.
Knock the two best drivers off the track & get away with it, Lewis would have been slaughtered by MB & DC. But not their mate Jenson, there was no advising the stewards via the TV that HE should be given a penalty as they do with Lewis.

F1ango

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:39 pm

Im glad someone else sees what i see and its not just me.

Its all one sided when it comes to Lewis and Jenson. Even MB stated that Jenson was looking in his mirrors. He was right behind him so should have seen him. I said at the end of the race on another thread that Jenson wont get punished by the stewards.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

here's what the fia said about button incidents

The Stewards have reviewed video evidence and heard from the drivers and team representatives
regarding the incident on Lap 38 at Turn 3 between Car 5 (F. Alonso) and Car 4 (J. Button.)
Car 5 was on an out lap having pitted. Car 4 appeared to be firmly established on the inside line prior to
the entry of the corner and drove onto the kerb to avoid Car 5 on the outside.
In view of the conditions and the statements by both drivers and their team representatives, the
Stewards decide that this was a “racing incident” and have taken no further action.

The Stewards have reviewed the Incident involving Car 3 (L. Hamilton) and Car 4 (J. Button) on their 7th
lap of the race. The Stewards reviewed the lines of several cars, including the two cars involved, using
multiple angles of video evidence over several laps, the speed traces of both drivers, the GPS tracking
data from the cars and have heard the drivers and team representatives.
The Stewards concluded that:
1) Exiting Turn 13 there was a legitimate overtaking opportunity for Lewis Hamilton as his speed was
greater than Jensen Button's.
2) Both drivers took lines substantially similar to many of the other drivers, and did not move as far to
the left as the preceding driver, Michael Schumacher. At the moment after Hamilton moved to the left to
pass, Button looked into his mirror. It appears from the position of Hamilton at that moment [and is
confirmed by the drivers] that Button was unlikely to have seen Hamilton.
3) At the point of contact Button had not yet moved as far to the left of the track as he had on the
previous lap, or that Schumacher had on that lap.
The Stewards have concluded that it was reasonable for Hamilton to believe that Button would have
seen him and that he could have made the passing manoeuvre. Further, the Stewards have concluded
that it is reasonable to believe that Button was not aware of Hamilton’s position to his left.
Therefore, the Stewards decide that this was a “racing incident” and have taken no further action.

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon 13 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

Bonjourno!

Let's clear one thing up right now. If the driver following another car in front of him can't see the car in front of him because of te spray being kicked up, then how can a driver see another car behind him in a mirror full of his own spray?

Answers on a post card please to:-

Alessandro Ciambella
Monza Racing Council
Monza
Italy
EU

We have accepted that Fernando was equally at fault with Jenson with their racing incident. Fair play to Fernando for not totally closing the door on Jenson and trying to leave enough room for both cars. It was clear that one of these two drivers was going to win the race at that point as changeable conditions are both these drivers strengths.

Why can't Hamilton fans stop the finger pointing and blaming of Jenson? There was no way he could see through the spray in his mirrors to accurately squeeze Hamilton into the wall.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:47 pm

I don't think there was any squeezing anyway. If you look at the incident closely Hamilton's wheels came into contact briefly with Button's reas causing the car to swerve and force Hamilton into the wall - without doubt a racing incident. Case closed and that is how the drivers see it as well.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 13 Jun 2011, 8:56 pm

No one is BLAMING Jenson, get off your high horse. Even in extreme spray, when a car is directly behind and to one side you should be able to see him. I accept the visibility argument, but a car that close should ahve been visible.

Anyone lets lay this one to rest.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by F1ango Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:02 pm

Mclaren want the points/win, so the driver complies

F1ango

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:12 pm

Perhaps Jenson Button MBE was looking in the wrong mirror then if Lewis was that visible through the spray, on a grey day in his grey car.

I think to stop this from happening ever again, we should cover his car in those flashing yellow lights they put on top of road cones. That way everybody can see the on road Hazard that is Hamilton coming towards them and take evasive action!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by sonic_boom10 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:18 pm

Button lucked out that Montreal was Red Bull's worst circuit and McLaren's best.

Button should've been DQ'd for smashing Hamilton into the wall.

sonic_boom10

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:22 pm

sonic_boom10 wrote:Button lucked out that Montreal was Red Bull's worst circuit and McLaren's best.

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

he couldn't see him genius , the fia cleared him and that's the end of it. stop trying to start an argument sonic

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by Bull Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:23 pm

lol well said nando

Bull

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:31 pm

fernando wrote:
sonic_boom10 wrote:Button lucked out that Montreal was Red Bull's worst circuit and McLaren's best.

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

he couldn't see him genius , the fia cleared him and that's the end of it. stop trying to start an argument sonic

He started it Wink

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by Fernando Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

fantantonio wrote:
fernando wrote:

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

He started it Wink

and im ending it Wink

Fernando
Fernando
Fernando

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:34 pm

fernando wrote:
fantantonio wrote:
fernando wrote:

🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦 🤦

He started it Wink

and im ending it Wink

Yes Mr Nando Sir, your holy administrator Wink

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Mon 13 Jun 2011, 9:43 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Perhaps Jenson Button MBE was looking in the wrong mirror then if Lewis was that visible through the spray, on a grey day in his grey car.

I think to stop this from happening ever again, we should cover his car in those flashing yellow lights they put on top of road cones. That way everybody can see the on road Hazard that is Hamilton coming towards them and take evasive action!

Button was clearly seen on the replay looking in his LEFT mirror. Whether he saw Lewis Hamilton MBE or not is open for debate i guess.

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Thu 16 Jun 2011, 5:37 pm

Bonjourno

Hamilton should do the decent thing for his team now and accept his championship season is over. He should now play the number 2 role to Jenson Button MBE and his championship assault! His skills at being the team leader are very questionable.

Forza Alonso!
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Critical_mass Fri 17 Jun 2011, 10:04 am

WHAT? he's only slightly behind button. If Hamilton should admit defeat the same applies to button and everyone else other then Vettel. What a ridiculous thing to say!

Critical_mass

Back to top Go down

Post by fantantonio Fri 17 Jun 2011, 4:52 pm

Alessandro Ciambella wrote:Bonjourno

Hamilton should do the decent thing for his team now and accept his championship season is over. He should now play the number 2 role to Jenson Button MBE and his championship assault! His skills at being the team leader are very questionable.

Forza Alonso!

Unlike Alonso, Button is not the sort of driver who will demand the team concentrate on him until it is mathematically impossible for Hamilton to win the title.

fantantonio

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm

Bonjourno!

I believe at the moment it is technically impossible. The man can't complete a race without an incident.
Alessandro Ciambella
Alessandro Ciambella

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:25 pm

Alessandro, i have sent you a private message OK

Back to top Go down

Post by Alessandro Ciambella Fri 17 Jun 2011, 5:53 pm

Message recieved and understood!

Forza Administrators! Forza Alonso!!
Alessandro Ciambella