The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Approach Shots

+4
LondonJonnyO
theeldestboy
GWR-Golfer
Doc
8 posters

Go down

Approach Shots Empty Approach Shots

Post by Doc Mon 13 Jun 2011, 08:37

Until recently it seemed that many of my approach shots were coming up short of the flag, which seemed to be the norm for many of the people I play with. I now use a rangefinder on new courses and even sometimes on my home course. This has allowed me to get pin high or a little past the pin, as I now accept that an extra club or even 2 is the way to play it because I don't hit the ball as far I thought I did.

It does however seem to me that the majority of players will hit the green, but be short of the pin. I appreciate that for some mid to high handicappers, the priority will be to get on the green, whereas lower handicap players will try and get it close to the pin. I play quite regular and in my experience it does seem to me that most approach shots are short of the hole.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Approach Shots Empty Re: Approach Shots

Post by GWR-Golfer Mon 13 Jun 2011, 09:03

I remember reading, about 30 years ago, a comment by Gary Player - that it's rare for an amateur to be long when hitting into a green.... so if in doubt about wether to hit a 6 or a 7 iron - then hit the 6.

I have always remembered it - and it's right 99% of the time.
GWR-Golfer
GWR-Golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by theeldestboy Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:31

I agree with you Doc, and personally i tend to come up short more than i do long. But don't forget, though it might not be deliberate for most higher handicappers, coming up short is generally a better "miss" than being long. By that, i mean if you don't hit a good shot and are going to be too long or too short, generally too short will (in my experience at least) leave you in less trouble.
theeldestboy
theeldestboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:37

I tend to be around pin high with my irons more often than not when playing well... but I still advocate the following for players who have an inconsistent strike.

If the pin is at the back of the green as you approach it take the shorter of the two clubs you have in mind. If you hit it sweet you'll be on the stick. If not you'll be putting.

If the pin is at the front of the green as you approach it take the longer of the two clubs. If you hit it flush you'll be putting. If you slightly mishit it then you'll be on the money.

It might seem a bit counterproductive but the whole idea with that is to take the long and short hazards out of play to a certain extent. And most people can at least putt reasonably... but a lot of people have a diabolically poor short game.
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by Eyetoldyouso Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:50

LJ
That is good advice.
On my course being over the back of a green is usually very bad news so the most important information for me is the distance to the back edge.

Eyetoldyouso

Back to top Go down

Post by sharrison01 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:55

My distance control with irons is pretty much spot on but accuracy is another matter!

In my experience, it is all to do with the hole layout - a lot of courses are designed with the trouble at the front of the green purely because most players tend to come up short. I would have thought that there is also an aesthetic reason for this as an approach shot looks nicer from the front with bunkers/water/false fronts shaping the hole. For me, most poorer iron players will just look at the yardage and pick a club whereas paying more attention to the shot required would be a better way to start.

sharrison01

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 13 Jun 2011, 10:59

Obviously conditions need to be taken into account, and in firm dry conditions for long iron approaches I tend to use the club that pitches short and trundles up the green, because a long iron hitting the green can run through.

Is it just my imagination though, or do most players leave themselves short rather than long. I tend to find that people who have gone past the pin have either over clubbed, or done it my mistake. Knowing the distance betwen the stick and the back fringe is a good idea, but looking at the green from 150 can make the central pin position look like its near the back, and guess this is why most people tend to be short.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:05

The biggest reason for people coming up short is because they think they know how far they SHOULD hit it with each club, but don't know how far they ACTUALLY hit each club.

How many people with rangefinders or GPS do you know?, and how many of them have actually used them to measure how far they hit each club. My guess would be close to zero.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Mon 13 Jun 2011, 13:28

"I now use a rangefinder on new courses and even sometimes on my home course. This has allowed me to get pin high or a little past the pin, as I now accept that an extra club or even 2 is the way to play it because I don't hit the ball as far I thought I did".

SR Thats why I mentioned the rangefinder, and fully agree with you there. I did in fact go out and check each club, and was gutted with the results. I've accepted the results and to be fair I'm more consistent now. Yes there will be the odd shot I absolutley stripe but you can't play thinking that your're going to hit every ball 100%, and there will be times that even taking the extra club brings me up short of the flag, because I didn't get it away clean.

Doc

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 13 Jun 2011, 14:48

im always amazed how many people seem to think they hit a certain distance and persist on using that club at that distance e.g guy I played with in my last event (father & child event) insisted he hits a 7 iron 160yds each time he had a 7 iron was 15yards short on average!

Distances is one of the simplest things we can all learn yet so many use guess work based on how far they see others hit it.

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down