The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jack Clifford retires

+2
Geordie
No 7&1/2
6 posters

Go down

Jack Clifford retires Empty Jack Clifford retires

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 19 Aug 2020 - 21:36

Jack Clifford has been forced to retire through injury. When he broke through he was as impressive as Itoje for me but every time he looked to be getting anywhere injury hit.

Pace, great technique and work rate, thought it would still be him and Burgess battling for blindside still.

Another what could have been guy with Simpson-Daniel and Rees.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Jack Clifford retires Empty Re: Jack Clifford retires

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Aug 2020 - 22:25

Yeah saw that...such a shame..but theres been a few through the years.

James Forrester the Gloucester 8 comes to mind aswell...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 19 Aug 2020 - 22:43

Clifford uninjured and on form was an exceptional back rower. Could fill any of the 3 positions and was extremely talented with a real set of wheels. Outsprinting Scott Williams for his only international score is not something you'd imagine Billy V or Ben Morgan doing!

Sadly he's been injured far more than any pro player ought to be. It's a shame - he had more to offer for club and country without the injury issues. We certainly wouldn't have been scrambling for an 8 to replace Billy this year if he'd been available. I wish him well in his retirement.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 19 Aug 2020 - 23:36

Mr Bounce wrote:Clifford uninjured and on form was an exceptional back rower. Could fill any of the 3 positions and was extremely talented with a real set of wheels. Outsprinting Scott Williams for his only international score is not something you'd imagine Billy V or Ben Morgan doing!

Sadly he's been injured far more than any pro player ought to be. It's a shame  - he had more to offer for club and country without the injury issues. We certainly wouldn't have been scrambling for an 8 to replace Billy this year if he'd been available. I wish him well in his retirement.

To be fair, he has had some amazing ball carrying runs through the years...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Wed 19 Aug 2020 - 23:45

Real shame but imagine it had been on the cards for a while, must admit he'd fallen completely off my radar

Extremely talented and dominant at u20s level like few have been before or since, so it's another "what if" for England, despite the success we have had with young back rows coming through.

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 20 Aug 2020 - 3:03

GeordieFalcon wrote:
Mr Bounce wrote:Clifford uninjured and on form was an exceptional back rower. Could fill any of the 3 positions and was extremely talented with a real set of wheels. Outsprinting Scott Williams for his only international score is not something you'd imagine Billy V or Ben Morgan doing!

Sadly he's been injured far more than any pro player ought to be. It's a shame  - he had more to offer for club and country without the injury issues. We certainly wouldn't have been scrambling for an 8 to replace Billy this year if he'd been available. I wish him well in his retirement.

To be fair, he has had some amazing ball carrying runs through the years...

That he has - and I love a Morgan ball carry. thumbsup However it was Clifford's out and out pace I was getting at - a forward out-speeding a centre does not happen that often. Interestingly he has retired with a 100% international win record. Ale

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Thu 20 Aug 2020 - 4:42

Clifford was an ideal player for the Jones blueprint, and looking forward to how Eddie wants England to play over the next couple of years. Could easily have been England captain by now but his body just could not cope sadly.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Thu 20 Aug 2020 - 5:11

Should have been JWC player of the year in 2013, but Wales' Sam Davies got the consolation prize.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 5 Sep 2020 - 5:59

Haskell and Hartley spoke at length on the injury problems on their recent podcast and Clifford's name came up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down