The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Scotland 2020 Internationals

+29
GLove39
formerly known as Sam
sensisball
Gooseberry
Mcsweens
George Carlin
Old Man
LondonTiger
Margin_Walker
Highland Shaun
No 7&1/2
EST
Hoonercat
TJ
lostinwales
funnyExiledScot
jimbopip
Tramptastic
Anglobraveheart
NeilyBroon
demosthenes
RiscaGame
RDW
Hazel Sapling
mikey_dragon
BigGee
tigertattie
bsando
33 posters

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

Scotland 2020 Internationals  - Page 6 Empty Scotland 2020 Internationals

Post by bsando Sun 23 Aug 2020, 4:02 pm

First topic message reminder :

With club rugby in Europe back up and running I thought it might be time to begin a new International thread.

Scotland's Upcoming 2020 International Fixtures

Warm Up

Scotland vs Georgia 23rd October BT Murrayfield (KO TBC)

6 Nations

Wales vs Scotland 31st October 2.15pm KO (venue TBC)

Eight Nations Tournament pool games

Italy vs Scotland November 14th November 12.45pm KO (Venue TBC)

Scotland vs France 22nd November 3pm KO BT Murrayfield

Scotland vs Fiji 28th November 1.45pm KO BT Murrayfield

December 5th Eight Nations play-off matches (1st vs 1st, 2nd vs 2nd, 3rd vs 3rd, 4th vs 4th)

Last edited by bsando on Wed 16 Sep 2020, 7:19 am; edited 4 times in total

bsando

Back to top Go down

Scotland 2020 Internationals  - Page 6 Empty Re: Scotland 2020 Internationals

Post by BigGee Fri 09 Oct 2020, 6:43 pm

Scotland squad announced on monday

Last in the queue this time around!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sun 11 Oct 2020, 12:06 am

Another all round class performance from Hogg - he'll be coming into Scotland camp bang on form and full of confidence. He's got a big few weeks coming up first though.

Pleasing to.see Jonny Gray doing a lot more carrying - it's still not as effective as others but he's in a good environment to improve that.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sun 11 Oct 2020, 11:53 am

So Gray and Hogg are bang on form. Great Very Happy

I wonder how easy Toonie's head rested on his pillow after watching the Luvvies display last night?

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Sun 11 Oct 2020, 7:33 pm

I think Scotland are in better shape than they were pre 6N. However, other sides are also getting various players back from injury and will feel they're shaping up well too.

Scotland just need to focus on their own game and try to keep the penalty count down. Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are shipping far too many daft penalties at the moment.

Updated game plan = Chuck it to Duheey or Hogg!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 8:45 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54495608

Before the squad is released today, it was nice to see a little article with Joe Ansbro who I and many others on here were big fans of during his time with Scotland. It was a gut punch for fans to see him have to quit after his injury (I recall centre options were pretty bare back then). Yet he recovered well and it's great to see how positive he's been about it all and that he's enjoying teaching/coaching at Harrow. Not a bad gig at all!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:10 am

Ansbro was a very decent player and clearly an excellent human being.

Such a shame his career ended like that but fortunately he seems to have got on with his life and sounds in a good place.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:27 am

I think Tagive may have played himself into the squad after his performance last night, which was unfortunately cut short by a head shot from the Scarlets second row.

Matt Fagerson had a decent game as well and Haining was proving to be a bit of a penalty magnet for Edinburgh, so he may well leapfrog him into the squad. Thompson looked like he got injured again as well, he just can't catch a break atm

Keeble put in a decent turn as well, but i don't think there was any doubt that he was going to get called.

Stafford McDowell might be another bolter, he has been pretty solid in his games so far this season and Wilson clearly seems him as a better option at 12 than Horne senior, who I imagine will be seen as Glasgow's back up FH from here on in.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:33 am

BigGee wrote:I think Tagive may have played himself into the squad after his performance last night, which was unfortunately cut short by a head shot from the Scarlets second row.

Matt Fagerson had a decent game as well and Haining was proving to be a bit of a penalty magnet for Edinburgh, so he may well leapfrog him into the squad. Thompson looked like he got injured again as well, he just can't catch a break atm

Keeble put in a decent turn as well, but i don't think there was any doubt that he was going to get called.

Stafford McDowell might be another bolter, he has been pretty solid in his games so far this season and Wilson clearly seems him as a better option at 12 than Horne senior, who I imagine will be seen as Glasgow's back up FH from here on in.

Finally saw what that the coaches have been seeing in Tagive last night, he was excellent in his time on the pitch.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 10:10 am

Yeah he did well in the air and he is pretty fast when he gets going. Shame he over balanced slightly forwards during one break but he recycled the ball well afterwards.

McDowall, M Fagerson, Hoyland, Grigg, Gordon, Dean, Taylor etc.. all these guys sort of make up a fairly long list of good to average players Scotland have in and around the fringes of the squad at the moment. When you compare them with other home nations fringe payers you just wonder how Scotland will fair if injuries creep in and hit the depth of the squad?

I'd love to be shouting about McDowall as much as I did for Dunbar when he first emerged at Glasgow, same goes with Dean at Edinburgh. Both have not really made that step up yet. Perhaps Toonie will take this chance to try a few of them out at the highest level?

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 10:19 am

To be honest, i think Taylor has leap ftogged Dean at Edinburgh now, he had s decent game kn Saturday

Not sure either are international ready yet though

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:03 am

It actually took Dunbar a couple of seasons of minimal game time before he really broke through - his first few games at glasgow was when Lineen was coach and he played on the wing! McDowall is a genuine baby face, he's getting way more pro game time than Dunbar did at a similar age so the best is yet to come, just needs a bit more time!

Dean has shown some nice handling recently so i wouldnt write him off yet but, yeh, Taylor is bit more direct in the contact and makes a bit more of an impact

Tramptastic

Location : Edinburgh via Rockcliffe/Dalbeattie/Dumfries/The Wickerman Festival

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:17 am

I think because we've talked about McDowall on here for so long I was shocked to see just now that he is only twenty two! Seems to be the way pro sport is going, get them through younger and get more out of them. In which case yes, I agree he could definitely do with a bit more time to develop. I guess he will realistically be hoping he's in the frame for the 2023 RWC.

Taylor played much better away to Munster and is more in a similar vein to Dunbar or Scott, looks a promising player with potential to get even better. I like Dean when he's on song but I'm sure others would agree he's probably got to get back to the level he was at before he got injured.

Squad to be announced at 1.30pm apparently!

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:30 am

Yeh there is a bit of "if they are good enough, they are old enough" culture in the scottish teams atm (there really does need to be though!)

Scotts break through year was in the Edinburgh heinekin cup semi final run in andy robinsons last year (2011/12?) and he was shockin at international level in his first few caps but he developed pretty fast after that! He was only 21 at the time and wasnt ready for international rugby, only really coming good a couple years later...

Does anyone remember Harry Leonard, the number 10 for Edinburgh in the same euro season as Scott - was he one that got away? i remember thinking at the time he was fairly good but he just kind of vanished...

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:34 am

Fingers Crossed that Toonie has got in the ear of Cam Redpath and convinced him the Thistle is the way to go.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:34 am

Tramptastic wrote:Yeh there is a bit of "if they are good enough, they are old enough" culture in the scottish teams atm (there really does need to be though!)

Scotts break through year was in the Edinburgh heinekin cup semi final run in andy robinsons last year (2011/12?) and he was shockin at international level in his first few caps but he developed pretty fast after that! He was only 21 at the time and wasnt ready for international rugby, only really coming good a couple years later...

Does anyone remember Harry Leonard, the number 10 for Edinburgh in the same euro season as Scott - was he one that got away? i remember thinking at the time he was fairly good but he just kind of vanished...

Michael Bradley was the coach believe it or not!

Leonard moved down to the championship and is now playing semi pro rugby for Rosslyn Park in London. Showed potential but championship was probably his natural level in the end. I guess he had to go semi pro as he needed to get a real job!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Tramptastic Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:46 am

Ach it's a shame that, i mind he stood out in that game against London Irish away from home where he just kept putting Edinburgh in the right place and nailing all his kicks, nerves of steel kind of thing.

Tramptastic

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:47 am

Squad announced at 13.30 apparently

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:59 am

Just had a thought - could it be that Price is the only Glasgow player in the Scotland backline, and that there will be more Glasgow forwards than Edinburgh?

What a strange world we live in indeed!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:36 pm

Scotland Head Coach Gregor Townsend has named a 40-man squad for the forthcoming autumn international matches, which include the conclusion of the 2020 Guinness Six Nations and newly launched Autumn Nations Cup.

The squad features three uncapped players in Glasgow Warriors prop Oli Kebble, Edinburgh winger Duhan van der Merwe and Harlequins scrum-half, Scott Steele.

In the 23 forwards there are five players who did not feature in the 2020 Guinness Six Nations earlier in the year, with Glasgow Warriors trio Richie Gray (lock), Rob Harley (back-row/lock) and Kebble selected alongside London Irish flanker Blair Cowan, who won his last Scotland cap in 2016 and earns his first call up under Townsend.

Scarlets’ Blade Thompson (back-row) also re-joins the squad having last featured at Rugby World Cup 2019.

In the 17 backs selected there are returns for Harlequins centre James Lang, who last featured in the national side during the summer of 2018, as well as Glasgow Warriors centre Nick Grigg and Edinburgh winger Damien Hoyland, alongside squad debutants van der Merwe and scrum-half Steele.

Racing 92 fly-half Finn Russell also joins the squad, with an opportunity to earn his 50th Scotland cap during the campaign.

Gregor Townsend said: “We are very much looking forward to coming back together as a coaching and playing group after such an unprecedented and challenging period in our sport and across society in general.

“There was a strong feeling that we were growing as a team during the Six Nations earlier this year, making progress from game-to-game as well as building closer bonds within the squad. Our aim is to keep this momentum going as we take on Georgia and Wales before competing in the Autumn Nations Cup in November.

“The squad we have selected is formed by the majority of the players we worked with in the Six Nations alongside players who have grabbed their opportunity in the past few weeks and have been in form for their respective teams.

“Given the lack of games since March, there will be opportunities for players out-with the squad to break into our group over the next few weeks, but for now the focus is on this group that will be in camp from tomorrow. It will be great to see some familiar faces, welcome a few back into our squad and also introduce some new players to Test match rugby."

Scotland begin their autumn test matches at BT Murrayfield against Georgia on Friday 23 October before facing Wales in Llanelli on 31 October in the rescheduled 2020 Guinness Six Nations fixture.

The newly formed Autumn Nations Cup begins in November with Scotland in Pool B alongside France and Fiji who they will play at BT Murrayfield as well as an away test match against Italy.

FORWARDS (23)

Simon Berghan (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
Jamie Bhatti (Edinburgh) – 15 caps
Fraser Brown (Glasgow Warriors) – 50 caps
Blair Cowan (London Irish) – 17 caps
Scott Cummings (Glasgow Warriors) – 12 caps
Cornell du Preez (Worcester Warriors) – 7 caps
Matt Fagerson – (Glasgow Warriors) – 6 caps
Zander Fagerson (Glasgow Warriors) – 29 caps
Grant Gilchrist (Edinburgh) – 42 caps
Jonny Gray (Exeter Chiefs) – 57 caps
Richie Gray (Glasgow Warriors) – 65 caps
Rob Harley (Glasgow Warriors) – 21 caps
Nick Haining (Edinburgh) – 3 caps
Oli Kebble (Glasgow Warriors) - uncapped
Stuart McInally (Edinburgh) – 37 caps
Willem Nel (Edinburgh) – 38 caps
Jamie Ritchie (Edinburgh) – 18 caps
Sam Skinner (Exeter Chiefs) – 7 caps
Rory Sutherland (Edinburgh) – 7 caps
Blade Thomson (Scarlets) – 5 caps
Ben Toolis (Edinburgh) – 25 caps
George Turner (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Hamish Watson (Edinburgh) – 32 caps

BACKS (17)

Darcy Graham (Edinburgh) – 11 caps
Nick Grigg (Glasgow Warriors) – 9 caps
Chris Harris (Gloucester) – 18 caps
Adam Hastings (Glasgow Warriors) – 20 caps
Stuart Hogg (Exeter Chiefs) CAPTAIN – 76 caps
George Horne (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
Damien Hoyland (Edinburgh) – 4 caps
Sam Johnson (Glasgow Warriors) – 13 caps
Huw Jones (Glasgow Warriors) – 25 caps
Blair Kinghorn (Edinburgh) – 21 caps
James Lang (Harlequins) – 2 caps
Sean Maitland (Saracens) – 48 caps
Ali Price (Glasgow Warriors) – 32 caps
Finn Russell (Racing 92) – 49 caps
Scott Steele (Harlequins) - uncapped
Duhan van der Merwe (Edinburgh) – uncapped
Duncan Weir (Worcester Warriors) – 28 caps

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:44 pm

Well as ever, a few surprises from Toonie

Scott Steele over SHC, not sure I really saw that one coming. SS has been playing well for Quins, but so has SHC.

James Lang has also been in decent form and can also provide some FH cover. He was really tearing it up last season before got injured. No Hutchy nor Matt Scott. Not quite sure why no Hutchinson, but I would say that it looks like Matt Scott's Scotland days are over and Toonie is looking forward towards the next WC. Though the selection of Blair Cowan, who has been playing well, would negate that logic.

Then again when did logic and a Toonie squad ever go hand in hand.

Damian Hoyland as well over Tagive, not sure that is a from pick, maybe playing well last night was to late and he pays for not getting a chance last week.

Rob Harley and CDP come back into the squad. Not sure how CDP has been playing, but Harley does seem to be in the form of his life atm, I would say Glasgow's best player on the pitch for the last two games. You would imagine he is in the squad as a hybrid lock/No.6

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Margin_Walker Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:52 pm

Chuffed for Cowan.

I thought he was fading a bit last season in the Championship. He's been unreal this season just finished though. Second only to Willis in turnovers won in the regular season, despite missing a chunk to injury.

Something has definitely lit a fire under him and it'll be a nice story if he picks up another cap or two.

Nice to see Steele in as well. Basics can be a bit rough around the edges, but he's great on the snipe and jackal when you want plan b from a 9.

Last edited by Margin_Walker on Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Margin_Walker

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:53 pm

Apparently Craig, Hutchy, Steyn, mcGuigan, Taylor and Crosbie all left our due to injury

That makes a bit more sense

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:53 pm

How many 12's in that forty? The answer is not 3 and 1/3.
Actually;
Sam Johnson
James Lang

That's it if we're talking about regular gametime at 12 for their club (or Scotland).

Players who might be able to play 12 internationally. picard
Nick Grigg
Chris Harris
Huw Jones

Fecc me but it doesn't inspire.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:54 pm

Yeah fair comments. Cowan has been captaining Irish a bit I believe, it's actually quite nice to see him back. He was a good player and part of the success Scotland had at the 2015 RWC. In fact, looking at that squad I think Toonie has picked mostly on form. Bradbury has been a bit iffy and has been dropped, so too Hutchinson and Scott. VDW was not playing his best rugby lately either, but he did have a pretty good one against Munster so a bit or a surprise. I'm sure we'll see him there in the near future. Lang has been doing well for Quins. During lockdown he talked about how he wanted to be back in the Scotland camp so good on him for getting recalled.

Who has biggest reason to feel aggrieved then? SHC? He was doing pretty well for Exeter recently and would have brought that confidence with him to Scotland.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:55 pm

Really surprised to not see Hutch there, I know Saints haven't been playing well but you would think that he would have credit in the bank for his form over the last couple of years - Toonie doesn't really seem to trust him.

Hoyland is a strange decision, not sure how he is better than the likes of McGuigan or Tagive.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:56 pm

BigGee wrote:Apparently Craig, Hutchy, Steyn, mcGuigan, Taylor and Crosbie all left our due to injury

That makes a bit more sense

Ahh ok, that does explain things

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:58 pm

jimbopip wrote:How many 12's in that forty? The answer is not 3 and 1/3.
Actually;
Sam Johnson
James Lang

That's it if we're talking about regular gametime at 12 for their club (or Scotland).

Players who might be able to play 12 internationally. picard
Nick Grigg
Chris Harris
Huw Jones

Fecc me but it doesn't inspire.

Maybe Toonie wants to try play Russell at 12? Let Hastings control the game. Could be a good combination and Russell is a good defender. I'm guessing Johnson must be near t fitness though if he's included. I'd have him starting if he were fit.

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 12 Oct 2020, 1:59 pm

Toonie, gotta love him eh!

Hoyland and Cowan are throw backs to yesteryear!

Cowan has been playing well for LI but is he a long term shout? I dont think so.

I think SHC has burned his SRU bridges going on this selection. And Matt Scott must feel agrrevied to say the least. Goodness knows where Hutchinson has gone!!!

Still. It's not the most bonkers selection he's ever made is it!

CDP has been solid for Worcs even though they've been struggling of late. I suspect he's there in the even that Haining continues his woeful form for Edinburgh.

Also, no Bradbury at all??? Maybe his maw really was pulling strings and now that gravy train has ended!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 12 Oct 2020, 2:05 pm

That's possible, but doesn't Dancer miss the first match due to the Euro Cup Final?
Will Johnson's first match in seven months be against the Georgians?
Hogg will be playing in the Premiership final AND the Euro final so Jones (or Maitland or Blarehorn) will be covering full back so unavailable for 12.
Ah!!! I've got it.... Meatball and Squiggsy in the centres against Georgia. Very Happy

Never mind numbers: they'll play left and right.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Mon 12 Oct 2020, 2:11 pm

As long as we get to see DVDM let rip I'll be happy this autumn Very Happy

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 12 Oct 2020, 2:15 pm

bsando wrote:As long as we get to see DVDM let rip I'll be happy this autumn Very Happy

Yeah, agree 100% :-). I have a feeling we may see him against Georgia, maybe not from the start but on as a sub.

Anyway, now that the squad has been announced, what would your starting 15 be for Georgia then Wales Wink?

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 12 Oct 2020, 3:07 pm

I see Duhan starting vs gerogia

No Hogg so the back three will be DVDM, Maitland and Darcy.

Of course Toonie may be looking to the future and old Sean (arguably our most consistant performer for the last 3 years) may be put on the bench with Blairhorn starting.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 12 Oct 2020, 3:16 pm

I make Blarehorn fourth choice 15 on current form.

Hogg

No Maits

That new 15 at Scotstoun

Blarehorn.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 3:55 pm

I think Shuggy will start at 15 v Georgia

Hoggy can't play and Blairhorn has not played for weeks and could probably do with a run out for Edinburgh first.

Maits can do a job for us at FB, but we won't really learn very much.

Might as well roll the dice, It's Georgia and Jones has been playing well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon 12 Oct 2020, 4:08 pm

Playing well???
He's easily the best full back in Scotland right now.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 12 Oct 2020, 4:33 pm

With Jones likely to slot in at 15 whilst Hogg is out, I'm slightly surprised Mark Bennett isn't in the squad, particularly if they can find room for Nick Grigg's ever expanding waist line.

I guess we can look forward to watching Harris lolloping around for a bit longer, being the hardest working player of all time.

Still, no big issues with the squad. Hard to go far wrong in a 40-man training squad, and I agree that Blair Cowan deserves to be there. Certainly had a great season snaffling the ball.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Mon 12 Oct 2020, 8:28 pm

I like Blair Cowan enough, but I'm very surprised at his inclusion. Are we really scraping the barrel that much? Or is this a move to keep more Edinburgh players free?

Another baffling one for me is Steele over SHC. Regardless of bridges burned, he's a bloody good player, too good to be wasted by a country with finite resources over petty squabbles. I'm guessing the young Edinburgh/Glasgow options are being kept back to maintain some squad strength but I don't see any reasonable reason to exclude SHC.

I actually think RG should be staying with Glasgow. Not been overly impressed with his return so far, I think he needs more time to regain form. We'd benefit more from a young gun like CHH who will be pretty free at the moment.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Oct 2020, 8:52 pm

How is Nick Grigg in the Scotland squad? He looks like he's put on about 3 stone during lockdown. Unless he's playing prop?

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:05 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:With Jones likely to slot in at 15 whilst Hogg is out, I'm slightly surprised Mark Bennett isn't in the squad, particularly if they can find room for Nick Grigg's ever expanding waist line.

I guess we can look forward to watching Harris lolloping around for a bit longer, being the hardest working player of all time.

Still, no big issues with the squad. Hard to go far wrong in a 40-man training squad, and I agree that Blair Cowan deserves to be there. Certainly had a great season snaffling the ball.

I think it’s a moot point with Cowan anyway. No one SQ is going to take the 7 shirt away from Watson or Ritchie so I think he’s very much there to make up numbers. Is though also cover for 8 but Haining, fagerson the unfulfilled, blade and CDP are all there which is a fair number of 8s.

Mind you, Cowan is more versatile and could be the back row cover from the bench.
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:49 pm

WTF - are we that short in depth that we need Cowan, Harley, Scott Steele and CDP?

I get they've been playing well for their clubs but they're not the kind of players you're going to win a 6N with. I get that they won't be frontline players but still doesn't bode well.

12 is looking a bit short in depth.

A bit of a meh selection for me.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 9:52 pm

I guess he has 2 weeks to have a good look at everyone and see how they have come out of lockdown.

The squad will get trimmed considerably in the run up to the games and a decent amount of the players will be back with their clubs.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Mon 12 Oct 2020, 10:10 pm

Just watched Toonie's interview

Interestingly he did name check SHC saying he was just outside the squad.

It may be that the fact that he will be involved with the Euro and Premiership finals during this period has counted against him this time around and Toonie wanted 3 SHs available for the first game. He may still get his chance down the line.

Also suggested a larger squad was due to possible Covid withdrawals and the fact that the racing/Exeter players will be initially absent.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:00 pm

Also, Duhan needs to start against Georgia. It's not like he's a young pup that needs eased into the fold - he's an experienced pro who oozes self confidence. We're not going to learn anything picking Maitland or Hoyland over him!

My team for Georgia based on the squad selected and Exeter/Racing unavailability

1 Sutherland
2 Brown
3 Fagerson
4 Gilchrist
5 Cummings
6 Ritchie
7 Watson
8 Fagerson (time to front up)

9 Price
10 Hastings
11 VDM
12 Johnson
13 Harris
14 Graham
15 Jones

Subs - Kebble, McInally, Nel, R Gray, CDP, Horn, Lang, Kinghorn

I've just noticed Dell isn't in the squad! He's certainly fallen way down the pecking order. We're a bit light with only 3LH though.

I agree that R Gray hasn't exactly set the heather alight so far, but I'm hoping with more gametime he'll come good.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Highland Shaun Mon 12 Oct 2020, 11:40 pm

What position is Callum Hunter-Hill and who would have he taken the place of if he had been included?

I am slightly disappointed he's not in but I will await the answer to my above questions before complaining :-P.

Highland Shaun

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Oct 2020, 12:09 am

He's a lock - if we're looking to the future he really should be there over Harley.

He played at 6 recently for Sarries but that was very much a stop gap I reckon - he's definitely a lock!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by NeilyBroon Tue 13 Oct 2020, 6:07 am

RDW wrote:Also, Duhan needs to start against Georgia. It's not like he's a young pup that needs eased into the fold - he's an experienced pro who oozes self confidence. We're not going to learn anything picking Maitland or Hoyland over him!

My team for Georgia based on the squad selected and Exeter/Racing unavailability

1 Sutherland
2 Brown
3 Fagerson
4 Gilchrist
5 Cummings
6 Ritchie
7 Watson
8 Fagerson (time to front up)

9 Price
10 Hastings
11 VDM
12 Johnson
13 Harris
14 Graham
15 Jones

Subs - Kebble, McInally, Nel, R Gray, CDP, Horn, Lang, Kinghorn

I've just noticed Dell isn't in the squad! He's certainly fallen way down the pecking order. We're a bit light with only 3LH though.

I agree that R Gray hasn't exactly set the heather alight so far, but I'm hoping with more gametime he'll come good.

Pretty good looking squad there. I'd swap Lang for Johnson either starting or for him to come on early given Johnson hasn't had any gametime in over 6 months!

I just hope there is good reason for all the weird selections and they are there if sh*t hits the fan, especially with these new levels of lockdown. I think maybe it could just be a bit of risk diversification based on Covid. As I said I actually quite like Cowan as a player and think with our current crop he could be quite a decent option (obviously only for this period as he's 34!). Steele is another who is okay, but I still think Toonie just doesn't like SHC much. It's hard to shake off the reputation of having a poor attitude once it's there.

Big bad Bob has been playing well for Glasgow and whilst not much of a carrier is good at all the dark arts of the game, something Scotland lack. He could be a good person to have in the training camp, although agree he shouldn't be starting for Scotland.

NeilyBroon

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Oct 2020, 6:57 am

SJ has been Toonie's go-to man so if he's fit I think he'll get picked. I heard rumours he was almost fit last weekend so hopefully he can get a run out this weekend.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue 13 Oct 2020, 7:01 am

No games this weekend unfortunately. Its the European cup final.

I think he might come back to Glasgow the week after and play with them.

Georgia may well be the gsme to try Lang out

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue 13 Oct 2020, 7:28 am

Ah yes - as ever Biggee is the fountain of all knowledge.

Makes it even more strange that they're the only two 12s in the squad, and is a big worry. Is Lang really our #1 if Johnson doesn't recover?Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bsando Tue 13 Oct 2020, 7:45 am

https://twitter.com/Harlequins/status/1315659065683595264?s=20

Steele was hoping for a call-up for a long time and by his own admission he thinks it'll be tough to get game time with the competition but I'm sure he'll get at least a first cap in one of these games. Probably just feels great to be involved after working hard.

Cowan is actually a pretty decent barber. Perhaps his call-up was to make sure everyone got a good trim and fade before the games commence? Laugh

bsando

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 15  Next