The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced

4 posters

Go down

Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced Empty Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2020, 5:13 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/54393006

Interesting article.

Wales and England are in band one, Ireland in band two, Scotland in band three.

That seems fair to me given. Wales were fantastic in 2018 and 2019 and weren't overly punished by successive losses (double points) against the Boks and NZ out in Japan. England are clearly one of the best teams in the world.

Ireland hit a poor run of form at the wrong time and might like to think they're better than Wales but didn't show it in 2019. Scotland's ranking seems fair as well given how they're flirting with tier two however Japan are probably a little bit on the luck side to have taken their place - although they did earn it with two big wins against much higher ranked 6Ns teams.

What the draw all but guarantees is at least one absolutely horrific group of death with Argentina and the possibility of a rejuvinated Scotland or Fiji being drawn with two of the more equally matched teams from the top two bands.

Band One: NZ, SA, England, Wales.
Band Two: Australia, France, Ireland, Japan.
Band Three: Argentina, Fiji, Italy, Scotland

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced Empty Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced

Post by Guest Fri 02 Oct 2020, 5:15 pm

I'll also add: I can see why some teams could feel miffed about this however it much have been much less fair to have made the draw next year given the disruption that's occurred.

RWC is the time where everyone peaks, or at least have fewest reasons to complain about poor form etc. No one is 'building'. Everything is centred on the 4 year cycle. If you fail at the RWC it seems fairer to punish those teams in the unique circumstances we are in that punish a team like Wales or Japan who did so well in 2018/19 but who may now drop off while they rebuild.

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced Empty Re: Rugby World Cup 2023 Rankings Announced

Post by Cyril Fri 02 Oct 2020, 7:07 pm

The BBC Sport report on this shows Farrell tackling Kolbe at elbow height. Which I think we all agree is ‘ a good thing’.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Oct 2020, 7:55 pm

FGS I hope we aren’t grouped with Fiji and Australia again.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Fri 02 Oct 2020, 8:02 pm

I wouldn’t mind getting Argentina as a third seed. They’re pedalling backwards at a striking rate.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 03 Oct 2020, 5:14 pm

NZ, Australia, Argentina would be tasty. Or possibly Fiji if they continue their trajectory. It puts it in perspective for Scotland: getting a group of death for them would be terminal and likely a second consecutive group stage exit.

Alternatively, you have Wales, Japan, and Italy as the top 3 seeds. It would give the Italians (or the Japanese) a fantastic chance of reaching the knockout stage.

Not many of the tier 1 sides will want to have France in their group, either. They will be a different prospect on home soil and are bubbling along nicely.

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon 05 Oct 2020, 9:00 am

England, Ireland, Scotland
NZ, Australia, Fiji
Wales, France, Argentina
South Africa, Japan, Italy

Fingers crossed Fingers Crossed Fingers Crossed

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Oct 2020, 4:01 pm

Are you South African, Michael?

Those would be some tasty groups. I'd maybe just swap South Africa and Wales around. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 05 Oct 2020, 8:24 pm

Argentina haven't been good since 2015 and have gone backwards since the creation of the Jaguars.
While they improved as a team in SR they took regularly took beatings from all the old 5 Nations.  At the last WC they were only close to the French because the French stopped playing.  I would take them over Fiji and Scotland if I had to pick a T3 team. Going back to Europe will probably be a blessing to them.

Fiji, while we speak well about them, did very poorly in the WC.  Like in 2015 they tried hard, did some nice stuff but ultimately were comfortably beaten by the bigger teams.

Scotland are the only team to worry about in T3.  Russell will be an old head who will be a much better game management.  They are most likely to be better and their younger players will be much more experienced.  Not to many older players who'll be missed.

Japan won't be a club team with all the time they got together, so not sure if they will be any good.  They won't have the longest rest periods between teams nor will they have a nice draw of easy, hard, easy hard.  They won't be pushover but I think they will be the weakest (Italy with their young players and good coach should be stronger). 12 of their WC squad was 30 or older. Another 7 were 28-29. Average age was 29 so their squad was on the older side.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by MichaelT Mon 05 Oct 2020, 8:49 pm

rugby racing and beer wrote:Are you South African, Michael?

Those would be some tasty groups. I'd maybe just swap South Africa and Wales around. Smile

No, English. Just thought those would be good groups and then got to South Africa who got who was left Smile

England v Ireland, and NZ v Australia would be good pool games with a good bit of spice I reckon too.

MichaelT

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down