The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thinking about quitting the game altogether!

+4
super_realist
LondonJonnyO
barragan
little_bit_of_draw
8 posters

Go down

Thinking about quitting the game altogether! Empty Thinking about quitting the game altogether!

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:50 pm

afternoon all,

ive been having a VERY tough time of late and just feel like packing the game in altogether. I just cant seem to do anything right at the min! im blocking my drives (i feel like im coming over the top of my swing and too steep!), hooking my irons and i cant chip to save my life! on the plus side my putting is great at the min! i was shooting high 70s and low 80s about 2 month ago and things have been going downhill rapidly until i played at woodham last week and shot a 95 (havent shot in the 90s for about 2 years now)! Crying or Very sad

just wondering if any fellow golfers have any SENSIBLE tips on how to get my mojo back? any help will be gratefully appreciated. thumbsup

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Thinking about quitting the game altogether! Empty Re: Thinking about quitting the game altogether!

Post by barragan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:56 pm

12 months ago i shot 102 in a medal, hcap went all the way up to 9.4 last july.

a few lessons, lots of practice and its now coming good.

patience, practice ...[...][...][...] belief

barragan

Back to top Go down

Thinking about quitting the game altogether! Empty Re: Thinking about quitting the game altogether!

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

mojo no.

But do you have any plans on selling your equipment? Got anything decent for a low low price?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 13 Jun 2011, 12:57 pm

Sounds like you may need to take a step back and remember why you play golf. I presume it's for fun? Is there a chance you've been taking it too seriously lately?

Remember that there are a lot of people who'd love to be able to swing a club but can't let alone shoot 90. Yes it's frustrating when you play badly, but that's what makes the game so much fun. If it was easy and we played to our potential all the time it would soon get tiresome and we'd give up anyway.

There's a guy at my club who plays in everything, and wins everything because he's basically a full time golfer, yes he's playing well, but it must be boring and is rather pathetic that he takes pleasure from winning all the time against a field way below his ability.
Whereas there is also a disabled guy who will never win anything and probably not even score well, but he takes pleasure from just being out there.

A little bit of suffering is good for the soul, and if all you have to complain about is a few bad scores then life must be pretty good.

It's all about perspective.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:05 pm

I think S_R has hit the nail on the head, just remember that we play this game for FUN. Might be a good idea to just play bounce games with your mates and give comps a miss. Most of the time, when a technically competent player 'loses the plot' it comes down to confidence. Play games where it doesn't matter if you hit a bad shot or play a bad hole. Texas scrambles and skins are ideal for this. You only need one good hole in a skins game to cover your losses or even make a profit.

That should help to take off any pressure, get you relaxed and hopefully start enjoying your golf again. Once you get to that stage, the good scores will come back.

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by Yadsendew Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:14 pm

Good advice from Super and D4S.... just enjoy the game, accept that you're going to play badly and relax. Everyone goes through poor spells and you're probably like me, more bad than good? But when ever I'm in the doldrums it's generally because I'm more worried about the score than actually playing the game. Choose partners that you can have a laugh with and remember the only person that is really bothered about your score is you. Crying or Very sad

Yadsendew

Back to top Go down

Post by Maverick Mon 13 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm

If things are going off the boil to the point where your contemplating quiting, take a couple weeks off from the game jsut to rest the head a bit then follow SR/D4S advice upon your return don't think technique or score but just go out and enjoy the walk and literally just play one shot at a time without stress or pressure and it'll all come flooding back, there is such a thing as being over golfed and if all you do is competitions when do you actually take time to enjoy the game rather than focusing on score

Maverick

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

I've got a vision running through my head, me and S_R sat in a beach hut with a can of Fosters and a phone.

Ring Ring.......

"Hello, it's Little bit of a draw here"

"DRAWSA!"

"I'm really not enjoying my golf at the moment, what shall I do?"

"You gotta relax , man up and enjoy the game but all the time keep an eye open for good looking birds walking round the course"

"OK, thanks guys"

In unison.......

"NO WORRIES!"

Yahoo

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

its either that, or you're Frasier and Niles...

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonJonnyO Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:10 pm

You know those beach huts are usually the site of some very distasteful activities right?
LondonJonnyO
LondonJonnyO

Back to top Go down

Post by drive4show Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:14 pm

LondonJonnyO wrote:You know those beach huts are usually the site of some very distasteful activities right?

Nothing to do with me, talk to S_R about that Whistle

drive4show

Back to top Go down

Post by little_bit_of_draw Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:18 pm

drive4show wrote:I've got a vision running through my head, me and S_R sat in a beach hut with a can of Fosters and a phone.

Ring Ring.......

"Hello, it's Little bit of a draw here"

"DRAWSA!"

"I'm really not enjoying my golf at the moment, what shall I do?"

"You gotta relax , man up and enjoy the game but all the time keep an eye open for good looking birds walking round the course"

"OK, thanks guys"

In unison.......

"NO WORRIES!"

Yahoo

ha ha - brilliant! thanks for that D4S. laughing i think im gonna take on some of the advice given, have a couple of weeks off then just go out and play one shot at time and just enjoy going out in the sun (if it ever returns)!

hopefully it wont be long before im back to my self and playing some good golf and having fun doing it! Very Happy

little_bit_of_draw

Back to top Go down

Post by ronin47 Mon 13 Jun 2011, 2:31 pm

Play for fun & play slow
with a bottle of single malt
and a good quality glass.

Have a shot on every tee

By the 9th you won't give a damm either way

ronin47
ronin47
ronin47

http://www.waterproofgolfjackets.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down