The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What?

5 posters

Go down

Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What? Empty Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What?

Post by doctor_grey Tue 12 Jan 2021, 2:14 am

By now we all know the Euro Rugby tournament is on hiatus.  I think it's the right decision but what do you think happens next?  Frankly, I am not sure how we can keep playing Pro14 or the Premiership either.  On the other hand I hope they can stay at it (and remain healthy) because otherwise we will have to start talking to our spouses all the time, and that will raise holy hell.    

Seriously, I don't think Covid is going to get under reasonable control until we get through this ugly winter and a sufficient number of people are vaccinated.   We have to be smart about it but also need the relief sport gives us.  What do you think?  

https://www.epcrugby.com/2021/01/11/epcr-tournaments-temporarily-suspended/

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What? Empty Re: Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What?

Post by Gooseberry Tue 12 Jan 2021, 8:36 am

The issue with France is twofold firstly they haven't yet got significant signs of the new variant thats spreading like wildfire in the UK and Ireland. Secondly their clubs are using different testing protocols to ours, and they have pointed to the number of outbreaks in British clubs as a serious concern.

As it is games within the UK are less of a problem than ones across borders. I would like to see if possible fixtures hastily rearranged to get "local rugby" played during the Euro weeks to at least cut down fixture congestion later in the year, but I doubt that will be possible given the issues with logistics and TV.

It certainly seems bonkers to be flying Italian teams around just to lose anyway.

Other unions certainly should be looking at matching the French testing protocols. Any decision on suspending sport altogether should be coming from the government, so I guess we can said the right time to have done it will be exactly 3 weeks after it happens Rolling Eyes

Gooseberry

Back to top Go down

Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What? Empty Re: Euro Rugby Suspended or Canceled or What?

Post by RiscaGame Tue 12 Jan 2021, 8:57 am

I thought it was actually cancelled, but then I was reading some Dragons stuff last night and found that it's suspended. I can't see the French teams being keen to start it again.

To be honest, I feel like it should never have started. I think it's bad enough that there's so much travelling in the Pro Currently 12, yet alone with this planned Rainbow Cup on the horizon. To throw in further travel with European games is madness. Throw in the added International games and the desperation to get some sort of Lions series going and it's an added strain on a lot of players.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Oakdene Tue 12 Jan 2021, 9:07 am

I have heard that they may just not play the last 2 rounds of group matches & have a round of 16 as opposed to 2 legged QF's.

Also given that all of this centres around the French clubs & government not wanting to play, I find it amazing that the French named their 6 nations squad yesterday afternoon!

Oakdene

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Thu 25 Feb 2021, 4:47 pm

So a round of 16 and single'legged QFs.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/56184748

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down