The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Top 3 on the way uppers v seasoned legends

2 posters

Go down

Top 3 on the way uppers v seasoned legends Empty Top 3 on the way uppers v seasoned legends

Post by ONETWO2020 Wed 17 Mar 2021, 10:34 am

For me there is nothing more exciting then watching a hyped up on the way up fighter take on a legend of the ring. Naturally the younger fighter will hold the advantage in terms of speed and stamina but legands have valuable experience. Here is my top 3 fights when these 2 dynamics collided in the boxing ring.

1) McCallum v Toney 1
2) ODLH v Chavez
3) Norris v Leonard

Thank you

ONETWO2020

Back to top Go down

Top 3 on the way uppers v seasoned legends Empty Re: Top 3 on the way uppers v seasoned legends

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 18 Mar 2021, 8:58 am

I love that first McCallum-Toney fight. I think what separates it from the other two you've listed is that it wasn't a procession for the younger man, nor a brutal shove towards the exit for the older. It's arguable whether Oscar or Norris (especially) learned much from bludgeoning Chavez and Leonard at those stages, and there wasn't all that much glory in defeat for Chavez or Leonard either - at least not in terms of performance, anyway. Obviously both guys showed hugely admirable courage, particularly Leonard who got beaten horrendously for three rounds or so before Norris took a bit of mercy on him.

Not the case for McCallum against Toney, though. In that instance the up and comer really did prove himself and come out as a better fighter as a result. Easy to forget that Toney was a 3-1 outsider going into that fight - until then there was still a perception among some that he was just a gobshyte who'd got lucky against Nunn. His other most notable win beforehand was the split decision over Reggie Johnson, but of course that's another win which came to look better as time passed.

But for most people, me included, he certainly won that first McCallum fight despite the judges returning a draw verdict, and it was instrumental in him going on to be named the Ring's Fighter of the Year for 1991. Despite not getting the win, McCallum's performance was still hugely creditable and unlike Chavez (to a lesser extent) and Leonard he seemed to still have a lot more left at the time, best demonstrated by him jumping up to 175 lb three years later and outclassing Harding for another world title. What a performance that was by Mike.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down