The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Women’s 6 Nations

+13
TJ
lostinwales
Mr Bounce
mikey_dragon
majesticimperialman
Dolphin Ziggler
TheMildlyFranticLlama
No 7&1/2
BamBam
whatahitson
mountain man
R!skysports
TightHEAD
17 posters

Go down

Women’s 6 Nations Empty Women’s 6 Nations

Post by TightHEAD Thu 01 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm

Anyone interested?

The BBC have gone all in looking at the rugby page today.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Women’s 6 Nations Empty Re: Women’s 6 Nations

Post by TightHEAD Thu 01 Apr 2021, 12:49 pm

England team to face Scotland
England: McKenna; Thompson, Scarratt (capt), Tuima, Breach; Rowland, Riley; Cornborough, Davies, B Cleall, Ward, O'Donnell, Aldcroft, Packer, P Cleall.

Replacements: Cokayne, Harper, Brown, Millar-Mills, Fleetwood, MacDonald, Jones, Kildunne.

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 01 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm

The coverage is great and long may it continue. I coach girls rugby and it is refreshing to see so much coverage, as it helps 'normalise' that rugby is really for everyone.

The skills of the players are really high, and as they don't rely so much on brute strength you get to see more integrate play than the mens game at times - can be a joy to watch

The only shame about the Women's 6 nations is it really isn't a competitive competition yet. With only 2 teams (well really 1) any chance of winning it, it can make it very one-sided, which loses some of the excitement.

Not the fault of the English team, the other teams just need to accelerate their development, but with the lack of money I am not sure it is going to have any quick fixes

Hopeful of Scotland giving an upset this year.

Last edited by R!skysports on Thu 01 Apr 2021, 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated to be a bit more sensible :-))

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 01 Apr 2021, 3:34 pm

Yep very much interested, I think the Roses are an excellent team and I always watch their matches when able.
It's tragic and pathetic the sexist and misogynist comments that get posted on HYSs about womens sport particularly rugby and football.

mountain man

TheMildlyFranticLlama likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Thu 01 Apr 2021, 4:06 pm

Personally not interested, as per the question.

Worrying to see the attitude some moderators have taken to editing other peoples' comments. What polices the police?

Last edited by whatahitson on Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total

whatahitson

Dolphin Ziggler likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 01 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

mountain man wrote:Yep very much interested, I think the Roses are an excellent team and I always watch their matches when able.
It's tragic and pathetic the sexist and misogynist comments that get posted on HYSs about womens sport particularly rugby and football.

And just to show it's alive and well on this forum my post got a dislike. Sad

(For sake of clarification, I'm a married man with two daughters and my missus and kids all experience forms of sexism in one way or another)

Last edited by mountain man on Thu 01 Apr 2021, 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 01 Apr 2021, 5:11 pm

I wouldn’t worry, it’s the usual suspect who’ll flounce off pretty soon

BamBam

No 7&1/2, TheMildlyFranticLlama and mountain man like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 01 Apr 2021, 5:13 pm

If its another set of games available to watch im all for it. Normally just gets lost in the mens tournament.

No 7&1/2

BigTrevsbigmac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Thu 01 Apr 2021, 7:16 pm

I’m looking forward to catching some of the games this year. It would be nice if we could get through it without the disparaging comments from the usual suspect this time around

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 01 Apr 2021, 7:45 pm

Just to check in, please do report any clear (and more subtle, if you're sure) sexism, rather than arguing with and feeding the culprit(s). It's not something I think we should abide, so I'm keeping my eye on the thread. Cheers - I presume the collective term for a group of rugby fans is a scrum?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

TJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by whatahitson Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:35 pm

Red Card 1

Last edited by Dolphin Ziggler on Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:47 pm; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : The reason was mainly joy, to be honest. For me, though. Not it.)

whatahitson

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Thu 01 Apr 2021, 8:38 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:I’m looking forward to catching some of the games this year. It would be nice if we could get through it without the disparaging comments from the usual suspect this time around

Who is the usual suspect on woman's rugby????

I hope the BBC have a male commentator and pundit in the studio to give their view, in the interest of fairness and balance. Apart from that it's just rugby on the TV, what's not to like. Hug

TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Thu 01 Apr 2021, 9:08 pm

Been looking on all the tv channels can only find it on ( bbc i player)

Is their not other channel it being shown on?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 02 Apr 2021, 8:48 am

Think it's just BBC iplayer, certainly the game on Saturday is on there.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mikey_dragon Fri 02 Apr 2021, 10:31 am

Me personally, I'm not interested in watching it. I have watched a lot of women's rugby though. I once lived in Canada and they have a lot of women's rugby, each club has 2-3 teams at senior level. I don't know of any women's rugby club in Wales, so it was great to see how the game has expanded in other parts of the world. I made some good friends through rugby, which is what it's largely all about really! England women are a very good team and sometimes it seems like they don't get much commendation from the men. As long as they don't put out a Rapinoe, they're fine by me Wink.

mikey_dragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri 02 Apr 2021, 10:56 pm

I am a big fan of Women's rugby and I thoroughly enjoy following the Red Roses. I've been to Bedford, Twickenham and the Stoop to watch them. I've had the privilege of meeting Poppy Cleall, Zoe Aldcroft and the awesome Lark Davies.

The thing I impressed with is that there's significant strength in depth and new combinations are regularly being tried out. Both Emily Scarratt and Sarah Hunter are worthy Captains with huge experience as well as being past World Cup winners. Add in the brilliance of players such as Abbie Ward, Ellie Kildunne, Marlie Packer, Shaunagh Brown, Jess Breach and Abbie Dow and there is a great squad looking to win every game at the next World Cup. Poppy Cleall is probably our best player, given that she can play in a number of positions at the drop of a hat - I think she's played lock, flanker, 8 and also popped in at prop too. The loss of Katy Daly-McLean has been difficult but both Zoe Harrison and especially Helena Rowland will be looking to nail that shirt as their own. At least they have a little longer to do that.

Looking forward to the game tomorrow.

Mr Bounce

BigTrevsbigmac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 03 Apr 2021, 4:02 pm

Its kind of fun but feels a bit, erm 'women against girls'.

Breach's footwork is quite something.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 03 Apr 2021, 7:54 pm

Breach fantastic footwork and so quick, Scarrett excellent as always but have to say Poppy Cleall what a player. Best player on park by far.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Sat 03 Apr 2021, 10:02 pm

I remember going to the womens rugby world cup maybe 20 years ago in Edinburgh - it was great fun and entertaining to watch

Now we are in a bit of a hiatus with some teams fully pro and some still very much amateur and 50 pt wins are just not entertaining to me.

perhaps we can get to a fully pro womens six nations in the future but right now its really not great to watch unless its France V England or the minnows playing each other. I saw a Scotland / Italy game a year or two ago that was entertaining but watching a team of students getting hammered by a team of pros really is not a good days entertainment

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 04 Apr 2021, 8:58 am

England were always going to win but Scotland were competitive but just too many errors and inaccuracies.
Wales on other hand thrashed by France.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Apr 2021, 7:04 pm

BBC2 not showing games this weekend disappointingly.

With England and France so far ahead, the lower ranked games are more enjoyable where a contest can emerge. Wales v Ireland should be a good match-up with the Irish bringing in some more speedy players to go with their back three. Some of them Sevens converts inevitably given the pathway now established by Anthony Eddy, but interested if they've accomplished the switch to XVs.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Thu 08 Apr 2021, 8:21 pm

BamBam wrote:I wouldn’t worry, it’s the usual suspect who’ll flounce off pretty soon

I am glad I have an admin on speed dial Run

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:33 pm

Ireland team announced

Eimear Considine (UL Bohemian/Munster, 15 caps);
Lauren Delany (Sale Sharks, 12),
Eve Higgins (Railway Union/Leinster)*,
Sene Naoupu (Old Belvedere/ Leinster, 38),
Beibhinn Parsons (Ballinasloe/Blackrock College/Connacht, 8);
Hannah Tyrrell (Old Belvedere/Leinster, 17),
Kathryn Dane (Old Belvedere/Ulster, 10);

Lindsay Peat (Railway Union/Leinster, 31),
Cliodhna Moloney (Wasps, 23),
Linda Djougang (Old Belvedere/Leinster, 9);
Aoife McDermott (Railway Union/Leinster, 13),
Nichola Fryday (Blackrock College/Connacht, 15);
Dorothy Wall (Blackrock College/ Munster, 4),
Claire Molloy (Wasps, 70),
Ciara Griffin (capt, UL Bohemian/Munster, 33).

Replacements: Neve Jones (Malone/Ulster, 1), Katie O’Dwyer (Railway Union/Leinster, 1), Laura Feely (Blackrock College/Connacht, 16), Brittany Hogan (DCU/Old Belvedere/Ulster, 1), Hannah O’Connor (Blackrock College/Leinster, 2), Emily Lane (Blackrock College/Munster)*, Stacey Flood (Railway Union/Leinster)*, Enya Breen (UL Bohemian/Munster, 4).
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Apr 2021, 5:53 pm

Pot Hale wrote:BBC2 not showing games this weekend disappointingly.

With England and France so far ahead, the lower ranked games are more enjoyable where a contest can emerge.  Wales v Ireland should be a good match-up with the Irish bringing in some more speedy players to go with their back three.  Some of them Sevens converts inevitably given the pathway now established by Anthony Eddy, but interested if they've accomplished the switch to XVs.

They are here in sunny Wales Wink Although a bit of a horror show so might be a good thing if they didn’t Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:10 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Pot Hale wrote:BBC2 not showing games this weekend disappointingly.

With England and France so far ahead, the lower ranked games are more enjoyable where a contest can emerge.  Wales v Ireland should be a good match-up with the Irish bringing in some more speedy players to go with their back three.  Some of them Sevens converts inevitably given the pathway now established by Anthony Eddy, but interested if they've accomplished the switch to XVs.

They are here in sunny Wales Wink Although a bit of a horror show so might be a good thing if they didn’t Smile

They are all on iplayer. England Italy was fun for a while. Italy very competitive and all over England for the first half, just couldn't actually dent the England defence where it mattered. England had 2 interceptions leading to good tries to leave them in front at half time. Second half they really turned it on and scored another 7.

Ireland Wales is just brutal.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 10 Apr 2021, 6:13 pm

Yeah, it’s not going with Pot’s prediction of a good match up. It’s a bloodbath!

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 11 Apr 2021, 7:49 am

Although England have won both games convincingly in the end, they had to pull out all the stops and play some fine rugby to win.

What i do not understand is why the games are not on bbc1 or 2 and only being shown on (i player.) It make's you think their is some kind of sexisum going on against womens sport.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sun 11 Apr 2021, 11:02 am

Subs made big difference for England, Hunter off pace a bit after so long out and Poppy Ceall was again immense as was Harriet Miller-Mills.
Same as previously though, seems still a huge gap between England France and rest unfortunately.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Sun 11 Apr 2021, 11:50 am

To be fair to Italy, they came with a game plan in the first half and it really threw England off their stride. I too though Hunter looked some way off her best and feel she may need a few games to get herself back to full strength.

Meg Jones played well apart from a couple of needless penalties, but the outstanding player for me was Vicky Fleetwood who just never stopped tackling and running support lines. Poppy Cleall really is a hell of a player though and the play in the build up to Abby Dow's try was something else. Can't see Billy Vunipola doing that at the moment! The back row, much like England's mens team has an embarrassment of riches - Cleall, Hunter, Packer, Millar-Mills, Matthews, Fleetwood, Beckett and Aldcroft covering 6 too - these are all great players and the top of their game.

It's also interesting that Wales were also beaten to nil by Ireland. Was this a reflection of the improvements the Irish have made or have the Welsh team regressed? France-Ireland could be interesting!

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 17 Apr 2021, 3:07 pm

I think it is pretty clear who will be playing England in the final of the Womens 6N

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 17 Apr 2021, 3:29 pm

Missed first half of Ireland France. Probably not a bad thing.
Second half isn’t great.
Disappointing after last weeks win over wales.

In fairness, don’t know to much about the woman’s teams, although Parsons and Considine are good players.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 17 Apr 2021, 7:34 pm

lostinwales wrote:I think it is pretty clear who will be playing England in the final of the Womens 6N

Yep, unfortunately there is a huge disparity in the womens game. England and France are head and shoulders above the rest in NH. Which isn't good for them or other teams. More investment needed so other teams can go pro.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by RiscaGame Sat 17 Apr 2021, 8:14 pm

The WRU were called out by somebody for underfunding the women’s game, that was kind of shown on Wales Online. Sadly it was hidden away on headlines of the day. Still, at least lists like 50th hardest men to have played for Wales get a good highlighting on social media.

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu 22 Apr 2021, 9:51 pm

England team has been announced today. Sarah Hunter has been dropped to the bench. Poppy Cleall starts at No.8 and Zoe Aldcroft is at 6 again. Meg Jones and Alex Matthews have returned to the 7s program so Zoe Harrison starts at 12.

There really is some scary strength in depth. I think this game against France will be a cracker and either have a good chance of winning.

England XV to face France:
Sarah McKenna, Jess Breach, Emily Scarratt, Zoe Harrison, Abby Dow, Helena Rowland, Leanne Riley, Vickii Cornborough, Lark Davies, Shaunagh Brown, Abbie Ward, Cath O'Donnell, Zoe Aldcroft, Marlie Packer, Poppy Cleall.

Replacements: Amy Cokayne, Detysha Harper, Bryony Cleall, Harriet Millar-Mills, Sarah Hunter, Claudia MacDonald, Lagi Tuima, Ellie Kildunne.

Last edited by Mr Bounce on Fri 23 Apr 2021, 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 23 Apr 2021, 8:53 am

Shame about Meg Jones. She's not perfect by any means but a very dangerous runner.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 24 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm

They can't catch!
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Sat 24 Apr 2021, 3:53 pm

Funny game. England annihilated in the scrum and lineout for large parts of the game. French with some trickery in the backs also, but in general made no ground against a very strong England defence.

Very tight game. One fantastic break by the England no.8 just before half time made the difference.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 24 Apr 2021, 7:58 pm

Yep Roses were lucky there I think, they were well off pace. Too many errors and poor game management, it was blindingly obvious they should have kicked for territory in 1st half. Hell, even Monye recognised that and he's clueless. Still, they ground out a win. France must be gutted, yet another close loss.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by TightHEAD Sat 24 Apr 2021, 9:18 pm

It was poor. Anyone new to watching this standard would have to ask why they are being paid.
TightHEAD
TightHEAD

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri 30 Apr 2021, 9:35 pm

Friendly between England and France tonight. Currently they have a floodlight failure, but earlier one of the England wingers (Dow) scored a fantastic try.

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Sat 01 May 2021, 8:43 am

lostinwales wrote:Friendly between England and France tonight. Currently they have a floodlight failure, but earlier one of the England wingers (Dow) scored a fantastic try.

Yes she saved them for sure as again England got hammered in scrum which is a bit worrying.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sgt_Pooly Fri 10 Dec 2021, 4:56 pm

I'll be honest, women's sport (bar maybe tennis) doesn't really interest me, but I've just found out that we're actually pretty good at rugby!

Anyway....watched some highlights (NZ games) and it's an ok standard. England's pack is quite a machine....I think 80% tries come from rolling mauls. Some really quick backs and the 10 looked good too.

1 issue with NZ....or perhaps the sport, I'm not sure. NZ were getting absolutely smashed.....I think 54-10 or something and they score a try. They then continue to celebrate said try like they'd won the world Cup.....all smiles and celebrations. You're getting absolutely pumped....how can you celebrate?

Sgt_Pooly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down