The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80

4 posters

Go down

RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80 Empty RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80

Post by No9 Fri 16 Apr 2021 - 17:11

Another Welsh legend called up to play in God's personal team...

Deepest sympathy to John's family and friends...

BBC wrote:

Legendary former Wales and British and Irish Lions captain and coach John Dawes has died at the age of 80.

Dawes won the first of his 22 Wales caps in 1964 and was captain six times, leading them to the Grand Slam in 1971.

He also captained the Lions on the 1971 tour of New Zealand, still the Lions' only series win over the All Blacks.

As coach of Wales, Dawes won four Five Nations titles including two Grand Slams and four triple crowns and was coach of the 1977 Lions in New Zealand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/56776411

RIP .... rose rose rose

No9

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80 Empty Re: RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80

Post by BigGee Fri 16 Apr 2021 - 18:23

I am just a bit to young to remember JD in his pomp but how many times have I seen the try of the century in the BaaBaas game.

The dummy he gave in that play was so slight that you have to watch it several times to realise just exactly what he did and yet it had the desired effect in sending the NZ tackler off into outer space. He was a sumblime talent and may be the only captain of the BI Lions to ever win a series down in NZ. No-one else has managed it yet!

RIP John Dawes - one of the all time greats

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80 Empty Re: RIP: John Dawes: Former Wales and Lions captain and coach dies, aged 80

Post by RiscaGame Fri 16 Apr 2021 - 19:25

I am a bit young too, but was obviously familiar with Dawes from that famous Barbarians try commentary. Obviously growing up I became more familiar with a bit of his playing and coaching career with Wales.

Read up on his career more today. Man of Gwent too, which I didn’t know. RIP

RiscaGame

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 26 Apr 2021 - 10:25

John Dawes was an absolutely phenomenal player. I am from the same town as Gordon Brown and at a panel one night at our local club, someone asked Broonie to talk about his favourite Lions players ever. John Dawes was the second name that he gave.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down