The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SARACENS ARE BACK !

+2
Brendan
Irish Londoner
6 posters

Go down

Welcome Back or Bugger Off

SARACENS ARE BACK ! Vote_lcap88%SARACENS ARE BACK ! Vote_rcap 88% 
[ 7 ]
SARACENS ARE BACK ! Vote_lcap12%SARACENS ARE BACK ! Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 8

Poll closed

SARACENS ARE BACK ! Empty SARACENS ARE BACK !

Post by Irish Londoner Mon 14 Jun 2021, 11:35 am

Given they have a 60-0 lead after the first leg, it's pretty safe to assume that Saracens are going to be back in the Premiership next season.

So is it a big welcome back to the north London powerhouses or oh god hear come the smug cheating gits again.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

SARACENS ARE BACK ! Empty Re: SARACENS ARE BACK !

Post by Brendan Mon 14 Jun 2021, 12:03 pm

I think Exeter have struggled a little this year without them as they were always going to finish top two (though Sale did try).  It seemed like they need that push Sarries would give them to keep standards high.

For all the talk of Ealing being good or Sarries being poor this result kind of puts that all to bed.  8 tries away from home in what would have been deemed the most important game. Keeping them to zero says it all.

Served their time and should be welcomed back with open arms.  Makes the Premership and England stronger and make the playoffs more interesting next year. It will be interesting with the smaller cap how they will go at the top end of Europe the year after with the much smaller cap.

They might even win the Challange Cup if they try.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Mon 14 Jun 2021, 12:13 pm

Somewhere in the middle for me. Clearly too good for the championship but I'm a bit cynical that they've changed their ways. Seems to be too much denial from their fans that voiced their opinions on social media etc. Hopefully they keep their heads down play to the letter of the law and don't try bending it to detriment of other teams and the league.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Mon 14 Jun 2021, 12:27 pm

The key question is are they still over cap? Also what is the story with relegation? I heard they are running 13 teams next season? That's an extra 2 games for each premiership side. Not sure if that will do any of the English sides any good given that the french sides have silly resources in terms of squads and the Pro 14 teams are cutting matches next season by a further 3 games. Seems to be it might be entertaining in the Premiership but given the above could seriously hamper their European progress.

Be interesting to see how next season turns out.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 14 Jun 2021, 1:03 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:The key question is are they still over cap? Also what is the story with relegation?  I heard they are running 13 teams next season?  That's an extra 2 games for each premiership side.  Not sure if that will do any of the English sides any good given that the french sides have silly resources in terms of squads and the Pro 14 teams are cutting matches next season by a further 3 games.   Seems to be it might be entertaining in the Premiership but given the above could seriously hamper their European progress.

Going to a 13 team league would give two rest weeks so would give some player rest.  If things don't go great in Europe there is another 3 rest weeks for most teams. (Most get 2 weeks anyway as they don't make the semis or finals)

Fairly sure that Sarries will be checked alot about their wages.  But when you look at Exeter and Bristol you can get a great team and then just fill the rest of your squad with academies and cheap players.  With their academy Sarries will be able to bulk up their squad comfortably.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by LordDowlais Mon 14 Jun 2021, 1:43 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:The key question is are they still over cap?

They still have all their England players so I do not think so.

LordDowlais

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Wed 16 Jun 2021, 7:52 am

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jun/12/rugby-union-ealing-trailfinders-championship-stadium-rfu-promotion

Didn't realise this has come out before the game. They don't stand a cat in hells chance now but not sure their prep would have been improved by seeing this come out.

The dropped in sentence saying that Saracen's stadium doesn't meet the minimum standard also makes me chuckle. The RFU trying to give them a helping hand perhaps.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Wed 16 Jun 2021, 7:58 am

LordDowlais wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:The key question is are they still over cap?

They still have all their England players so I do not think so.

Yeah i dont think they will be.

They did move on quite a number of players as well as keeping their core "England" group. And of course they have brought through more of their academy.

Be interesting to see how some of them progress...the likes of Kpoku at lock who many England fans have big hope...

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Welshmushroom Thu 17 Jun 2021, 9:19 am

Brendan wrote:
Welshmushroom wrote:The key question is are they still over cap? Also what is the story with relegation?  I heard they are running 13 teams next season?  That's an extra 2 games for each premiership side.  Not sure if that will do any of the English sides any good given that the french sides have silly resources in terms of squads and the Pro 14 teams are cutting matches next season by a further 3 games.   Seems to be it might be entertaining in the Premiership but given the above could seriously hamper their European progress.

Going to a 13 team league would give two rest weeks so would give some player rest.  If things don't go great in Europe there is another 3 rest weeks for most teams. (Most get 2 weeks anyway as they don't make the semis or finals)

Fairly sure that Sarries will be checked alot about their wages.  But when you look at Exeter and Bristol you can get a great team and then just fill the rest of your squad with academies and cheap players.  With their academy Sarries will be able to bulk up their squad comfortably.

Think your missing my point. With 13 teams they would indeed have rest weekends but in terms of matches played they would be playing 24 matches per season rather than the current 22 matches. Given they already have a cramped schedule I don't see how playing 2 more league matches a season will benefit the players.

Given the Premierships sides salary cap was dropped for next season your basically adding more strain on playing squads within the Premiership. This won't be conducive to good rugby.

Welshmushroom

Back to top Go down

Post by No 7&1/2 Thu 17 Jun 2021, 9:39 am

The great thing from this season was the limit on playing time when the teams were playing midweek. Meant alot more action for the youngsters. A reduction in ability to spend is probably going to mean less established players who are generally on more money.

No 7&1/2

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Thu 17 Jun 2021, 11:48 am

Welshmushroom wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Think your missing my point.  With 13 teams they would indeed have rest weekends but in terms of matches played they would be playing 24 matches per season rather than the current 22 matches.  Given they already have a cramped schedule I don't see how playing 2 more league matches a season will benefit the players.

Given the Premierships sides salary cap was dropped for next season your basically adding more strain on playing squads within the Premiership.  This won't be conducive to good rugby.

i think you need to take in to consideration the ring fencing factor. Teams can mix up their teams a little. They can afford to play their academy lads, and rest players.

People said the standard of rugby would drop...but ive witnessed the opposite this season. Indeed my team the Falcons are normally the most boring defensive risk free team going, and in the last quarter even we just opened it up...often too much for our own good actually.

So im confident that the English prem should be in good nick, and it will give youngsters more opportunity with less foreign journeymen coming through.

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Thu 17 Jun 2021, 1:54 pm

Welshmushroom wrote:
Brendan wrote:

Think your missing my point.  With 13 teams they would indeed have rest weekends but in terms of matches played they would be playing 24 matches per season rather than the current 22 matches.  Given they already have a cramped schedule I don't see how playing 2 more league matches a season will benefit the players.

Given the Premierships sides salary cap was dropped for next season your basically adding more strain on playing squads within the Premiership.  This won't be conducive to good rugby.

Are they still playing the cup that was extra weeks.

Teams like Sarries and Exeter when winning leagues and Euro Cups would play 31 compeditive games between Euro and league. Yes they had stronger squads but that is the whole point. It's not send the B out to rest the A team. It's give player X 3 weeks off while player Y gets his chance to play in the team.

The Premership could look to reduce games like the URC but they are much more dependant on gate receipts (because they get in loads of fans) and getting an extra home game is massive funding (10kx£15) is a squad player's wages

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down