The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Mon 28 Jun 2021, 1:29 pm

The pools for the mens competition were announced today. Twelve teams get whittled down to eight, so the top two teams from each pool will progress, along with the best two third placed teams. The last Olympics didn't go at all to form but I'd expect NZ, Australia and Argentina to progress, since they should all handily beat Korea. After that, Fiji is almost a certainly to qualify but no-one else can be sure.

In Pool B, on form, GB should beat Canada and Japan, to qualify at least in second. A victory over Fiji isn't out of the question but they are favourites to top the group. However, Japan beat NZ in Rio, and Canada can beat top sides too, so both could cause an upset, and put us in third place, or even out. If third, then it would be a lottery if we happened to be better than the third placed finisher in Pool C. USA were in the same boat in Rio, and it cost them a place in the quarter finals.

In Pool C, while Ireland are the fourth seed, they are probably better than Kenya, and have a realistic chance to get to the quarter finals.

Pool A
New Zealand
Australia
Argentina
Korea

Pool B
Fiji
Great Britain
Canada
Japan

Pool C
South Africa
USA
Kenya
Ireland

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Collapse2005 Mon 28 Jun 2021, 4:49 pm

The US havent looked great lately, Ireland dispached them fairly easily at the 7s tournament in England, though the Olympics is obviously a different beast. Think Ireland got a draw with SA in their last game too but they will probably still have to be at their best to get out of the group.

Collapse2005

Posts : 5386
Join date : 2017-08-24

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Fri 09 Jul 2021, 4:12 am

The tournament schedule is out:

GB vs Canada is the second match on Day 1, after Japan vs Fiji. GB then faces Japan at 4:30 the same day

Ireland is scheduled to play South Africa in the fifth match on Day 1, with a follow-up early evening against USA.

Day 2 sees the pool matches finish in the morning: GB faces Fiji, and Ireland have Kenya.

The rest of Day 2 is play-off qualifiers, and quarter finals. Day 3 is made up of table play-offs and the final medal rounds.

https://resources.world.rugby/worldrugby/document/2021/07/07/b08b327b-15e8-4f20-896d-d5ba57ed9de9/2020_Tokyo_Schedule_210707.pdf

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 13 Jul 2021, 1:59 pm

You might remember Quade Cooper looked to get into the Australia sevens side for Rio but wasn't eligible, as he wasn't an Australian citizen, despite living in Australia since he was 13. At the time, it was seen as just a piece of personal administration he just hadn't got around to in time.

As it turns out, his recent application for citzenship has been turned down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57804651

He has tweeted the letter

Awkward moment @ausgov refuse your citizenship applications (again) Wearing the green and gold 70 times apparently is not enough these days.
.

https://twitter.com/QuadeCooper/status/1414779860300357632

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Yesterday at 2:46 pm

Rugby Heaven has a short profile of all the teams.

https://www.rugbyworld.com/news/olympics-rugby-mens-team-guide-129085

All eyes will be on COVID-19 tests. Already, Neil Powell, the South African coach, has tested positive. He is in isolation, so the only coaching he'll be doing is over Zoom.

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by mikey_dragon Yesterday at 3:40 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:You might remember Quade Cooper looked to get into the Australia sevens side for Rio but wasn't eligible, as he wasn't an Australian citizen, despite living in Australia since he was 13. At the time, it was seen as just a piece of personal administration he just hadn't got around to in time.

As it turns out, his recent application for citzenship has been turned down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57804651

He has tweeted the letter

Awkward moment @ausgov refuse your citizenship applications (again) Wearing the green and gold 70 times apparently is not enough these days.
.

https://twitter.com/QuadeCooper/status/1414779860300357632

I haven't read into it on what the actual error was, or why it was denied this time around, but you would think it would be a little easier for someone when they've represented the country at the highest level. Cooper marvelled the world for a time, whilst wearing the green and gold. Aus should probably be begging him to accept citizenship, not the other way around.

mikey_dragon

Posts : 12502
Join date : 2015-07-25

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Yesterday at 4:20 pm

If you have time for a podcast, the 7th Heaven team have a preview of the Olympic Sevens.

https://www.7thheavenpod.com/podcast/episode/6df140b5/konichiwa-from-tokyo

It's on Youtube, Spotify, and the usual podcast providers.

They mention one point I didn't know: originally each squad was 12 men, with a travelling reserve, who could be used to replace an injured player. Now however, all 13 players can be used, so the squad size has effectively been increased.

Rob Vickerman highlights the biggest concern for Team GB: the squad is essentially all backs. We can run other teams off their feet, which is a valuable gameplan to have. We don't, however, have many answers for a team which decides to muscle up, and a number of the top teams can do just that.

In Rio, James Rodwell (195cm/106kg) was a rock at kick-offs. The nearest Team GB has to him is Harry Glover (192cm/97kg), so there's a lot of pressure on him to get possession, as Roques decided not to select Richard de Carpentier (194cm/105kg), who has been Rodwell's natural replacement in the England team.

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by westisbest Yesterday at 8:14 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:The US havent looked great lately, Ireland dispached them fairly easily at the 7s tournament in England, though the Olympics is obviously a different beast. Think Ireland got a draw with SA in their last game too but they will probably still have to be at their best to get out of the group.

Certainly have our work cut out.
May need to pull a rabbit out the hat to advance.

westisbest

Posts : 7654
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Bournemouth

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by alfie Today at 12:16 am

mikey_dragon wrote:
Rugby Fan wrote:You might remember Quade Cooper looked to get into the Australia sevens side for Rio but wasn't eligible, as he wasn't an Australian citizen, despite living in Australia since he was 13. At the time, it was seen as just a piece of personal administration he just hadn't got around to in time.

As it turns out, his recent application for citzenship has been turned down.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57804651

He has tweeted the letter

Awkward moment @ausgov refuse your citizenship applications (again) Wearing the green and gold 70 times apparently is not enough these days.
.

https://twitter.com/QuadeCooper/status/1414779860300357632




I haven't read into it on what the actual error was, or why it was denied this time around, but you would think it would be a little easier for someone when they've represented the country at the highest level. Cooper marvelled the world for a time, whilst wearing the green and gold. Aus should probably be begging him to accept citizenship, not the other way around.

Apparently the problem is that he hasn't actually been resident in the country for enough months of the year lately (due -
reasonably enough I'd have thought - to his overseas rugby commitments) so falls foul of the technical requirements.  Seems to me something in which a bit of ministerial discretion could fairly be exercised. Thought there were enough Rugby fans in the current Conservative Government to assure this would happen !

alfie

Posts : 14461
Join date : 2011-05-31
Location : Melbourne.

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Rugby Fan Today at 12:23 am

Incidentally, there's a tropical storn heading towards Tokyo. Too early to tell what intensity it will build up. It is expected to arrive early next week, which is when the Sevens competition is scheduled. The venue for the event has no roof, so there'll be delay in the event of any extreme weather.

https://www.jma.go.jp/bosai/map.html#4/31.317/128.453/&elem=root&typhoon=all&contents=typhoon&lang=en

Rugby Fan
Moderator
Moderator

Posts : 6436
Join date : 2012-09-14

Back to top Go down

Tokyo Olympic Sevens Empty Re: Tokyo Olympic Sevens

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum