The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

5 posters

Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Jul 2021, 5:32 pm

SURREY HAVE NAMED A SQUAD OF 13 TO TAKE ON SOMERSET IN OUR FINAL GROUP 2 MATCH IN THIS YEAR’S LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP, STARTING ON SUNDAY 11TH JULY AT THE KIA OVAL.
Indian all-rounder Ravi Ashwin will join the group for this match only. Rolling Eyes
While the draw with Hampshire now makes finishing in the top two very difficult, both the Club and Ashwin have agreed to this one-off arrangement.
Ollie Pope’s thigh injury means he will not be available until England’s series with India. Ben Foakes (hamstring), Reece Topley (side) and Liam Plunkett (calf) are still not available for selection. Sad Sad
There is no place in the squad for Gus Atkinson, Matthew Dunn or Laurie Evans.
FULL SQUAD:
Rory Burns (c)
Hashim Amla
Ravi Ashwin
Jordan Clark
Rikki Clarke
Ben Geddes
Conor McKerr
Daniel Moriarty
Jamie Overton
Ryan Patel
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
Amar Virdi
3 spinners in the team? if so maybe Geddes and Clarke ( shoulder injury cant have eased up that quickly) Headscratch to miss out.
Otherwise you would expect McKerr to miss out unless only 2 spinners which would mean Moriarty to miss out.
What a time to be alive Laugh
Over to you chaps thumbsup

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and thegooch7 like this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by thegooch7 Sat 10 Jul 2021, 6:14 pm

Cheers jimbob! I think Clarke would be preferable to McKerr, and surely Geddes can't play, leaves us with a very weak looking team, especially in the medium pace dept, but I think the 3 spinners are more reliable, I assume our t20 signing David just twiddles his thumbs til next Friday, or did he just play 1 game

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP Empty Re: SURREY VS SOMERSET LV= COUNTY CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by jimbobgooner Sat 10 Jul 2021, 6:23 pm

thegooch7 wrote:Cheers jimbob! I think Clarke would be preferable to McKerr, and surely Geddes can't play, leaves us with a very weak looking team, especially in the medium pace dept, but I think the 3 spinners are more reliable, I assume our t20 signing David just twiddles his thumbs til next Friday, or did he just play 1 game
one more game for David Gloucestershire next Friday, Gooch

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Sat 10 Jul 2021, 10:11 pm

James Hildreth, Kasey Aldridge, George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Eddie Byrom, Devon Conway, Steve Davies, Marchant de Lange, Lewis Goldsworthy, Ben Green, Tom Lammonby, Jack Leach and Roelof van der Merwe.

It’s a weak Somerset squad. Their top three seamers are either with England (Overton, Gregory) or injured (Davey). Also missing captain Abell and Banton. It’ll be a real struggle to get anything from this game.

JDizzle

guildfordbat and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jul 2021, 4:45 am

JDizzle wrote:James Hildreth, Kasey Aldridge, George Bartlett, Jack Brooks, Eddie Byrom, Devon Conway, Steve Davies, Marchant de Lange, Lewis Goldsworthy, Ben Green, Tom Lammonby, Jack Leach and Roelof van der Merwe.

It’s a weak Somerset squad. Their top three seamers are either with England (Overton, Gregory) or injured (Davey). Also missing captain Abell and Banton. It’ll be a real struggle to get anything from this game.
cheers JDizzle OK

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Sun 11 Jul 2021, 9:21 am

Going now

Laters

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jul 2021, 10:40 am

Geddes and McKerr miss out
Somerset win toss and bat

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Sun 11 Jul 2021, 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sun 11 Jul 2021, 11:44 am

Clark gets Conway
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jul 2021, 12:59 pm

wkt for Virdi in his first over

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Sun 11 Jul 2021, 2:58 pm

1st wkt for Ashwin

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

My take and guess on what went on yesterday and why.

Desperate tactics resulting from our desperate situation.

To get into Division One for the next round of matches, we needed a win with maximum points and to limit Somerset to no more than 2 bonus points.

We therefore prepared a track which is intended to spin from late day two and gambled on winning the toss, putting 400 on the board inside 110 overs and our 3 spinners (including ''One Game'' Ashwin) then skittling Somerset for under 200. As I say, desperate. It all started to unravel at 10:30 when Hildreth won the toss and batted. The gamble - already at incredibly long odds - was thus lost before a ball was bowled.

That left us with 3 spinners to bowl on a non spinning track for day one. Matters were not helped by Overton being hit in the nuts whilst fielding early on and disappearing for the rest of the day. Furthermore, Clarke still seemed troubled by his shoulder and only bowled late in the final session.

Surrey's best bowler by some way was Jordan Clark. Fortunately, he stood up and deserved his 3 wickets. Ashwin was pretty tidy and stuck at it but it never really looked like being his day.

The guy who took the honours without doubt was Hildreth. A calm and composed century to put Somerset in a decent position in this match and virtually guarantee them one of the two Div One spots from our group. We won't be the other team and don't deserve to be on our form this year.

guildfordbat

thegooch7 and jimbobgooner like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm

Confirmed calf injury for Overton you couldn't make it up Doh
He will bat

jimbobgooner

thegooch7 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Mon 12 Jul 2021, 3:46 pm

Off topic but Topley expected to play in the Blast at Gloucs on Friday.

Here and now - Somerset in the smart seats having made 429 and batted to the halfway point of day two. Exactly what they wanted. Even if they don’t win, they’re not going to lose from here and that suits their qualification for Div One just fine.

So many of the Somerset batters chipped in. Five with 40+, I think. Normally I would moan about them not going on but Hildreth did that with his ton. The others provided useful and - from a Surrey perspective - annoying support.

Ashwin finished with 1/99. Hmmm. Wonder how much that wicket cost?£! He was out bowled by Virdi today even if van der Merwe’s wicket (caught close in by a diving Patel) seemed off the pad and not bat.

Surrey advanced to 24/0 off 6 overs before rain brought an early tea. Burns leading the way with 18 and taking a liking to Brooks.

Think they’ll be off for some time now. Thinking of heading home ....

guildfordbat

thegooch7, jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Mon 12 Jul 2021, 4:15 pm

Cheers for the update on Topley, Guildford
safe journey home OK

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Mon 12 Jul 2021, 10:10 pm

Turning out to be a bit of a meh season this one - not a lot to write home about
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

Surrey will be looking for much more but 280 to avoid the follow on has to be the first aim today.

If (probably should be a big IF) that's achieved and we're still batting, one option would be to declare with a smallish deficit so as to have a few overs at them tonight.

Realistically though, I can only see two possible results. A Surrey win ain't one of them.

PS : day off from watching today. Suffered enough Sunday and Monday. Wink

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 12:40 pm

Well what a surprise Guildford hasn't gone and we are doing well. Wink

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 12:55 pm

50 for Burns clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 1:39 pm

jimbobgooner wrote:50 for Burns clap
And out Doh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:14 pm

50 for Stoneman clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:22 pm

Guildford - I note Mark Footitt, formerly of this parish, is playing for Lincolnshire against Norfolk today in some minor counties action. Bowling quick according to #reports
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Tue 13 Jul 2021, 2:25 pm

Scorecard here - https://www.play-cricket.com/website/results/4653111
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 3:35 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Guildford - I note Mark Footitt, formerly of this parish, is playing for Lincolnshire against Norfolk today in some minor counties action. Bowling quick according to #reports

Thanks, Olly. In future years, I'm sure Footitt's name will crop up in one of those ''whatever happened to'' cricket chats.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:22 pm

4 down at tea and just over 100 needed to avoid the follow on.

Looks very unlikely we'll get to that 280 target tonight ... if at all.

JimBob - you nervous? You can't put the blame on me being there today! Wink

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:31 pm

Make that 5 down as Ashwin goes first ball! Think his contract was only for him to bowl - he hardly moved while fielding. mad

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:47 pm

Great effort this on a pitch that isn't turning Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:50 pm

Not often you see a side with three slow left armers like Somerset have. The Leach/Bess duo worked so well as it had the different angles and directions of turn.

They’ve made the top Div anyway - so will be hoping Hampshire join them, rather than Gloucs due to the points carry over.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:52 pm

5 wkts for Leach picard

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 4:57 pm

What makes it worse is the Somerset bowling attack is so ordinary mad

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 5:16 pm

JimBob - keep calm but we're about to get a batting point!

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 5:16 pm

guildfordbat wrote:JimBob - keep calm but we're about to get a batting point!
Laugh Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 5:17 pm

and there it is Yahoo

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Tue 13 Jul 2021, 6:34 pm

98 for 0 to 239 for 8 clap clap clap clap

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 13 Jul 2021, 6:41 pm

Simple task for Somerset tomorrow. Take the final two wickets for less than 40 runs and then let their ordinary attack go to work. Wink

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:13 pm

JDizzle wrote:Simple task for Somerset tomorrow. Take the final two wickets for less than 40 runs and then let their ordinary attack go to work. Wink

Hi JD - that would certainly be my view as to what Somerset should do (although I have a higher regard for your attack even with some bowlers missing than one of my colleagues here Wink ) and I hope that's the case.

However, do you think that having already qualified for Div One, there's a danger they might take it easy and not go for the kill? Instead of enforcing the follow on, being content for themselves to bat until 4:50 and then shaking hands on the draw? As I say, I hope not. I want a competitive last day as much as possible. If Surrey are to get a draw, I want them to achieve it through their own efforts and not be given it gift wrapped.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:24 pm

guildfordbat wrote:
JDizzle wrote:Simple task for Somerset tomorrow. Take the final two wickets for less than 40 runs and then let their ordinary attack go to work. Wink

Hi JD - that would certainly be my view as to what Somerset should do (although I have a higher regard for your attack even with some bowlers missing than one of my colleagues here Wink ) and I hope that's the case.

However, do you think that having already qualified for Div One, there's a danger they might take it easy and not go for the kill? Instead of enforcing the follow on, being content for themselves to bat until 4:50 and then shaking hands on the draw? As I say, I hope not. I want a competitive last day as much as possible. If Surrey are to get a draw, I want them to achieve it through their own efforts and not be given it gift wrapped.

I fear so unfortunately. Especially with an already depleted attack, I agree they might just decide not to bother risking any more unnecessary injuries and just take the draw. Hopefully they do go for it though! Be good for Leach to get some overs under his belt.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:36 pm

JDizzle wrote:
guildfordbat wrote:

I fear so unfortunately. Especially with an already depleted attack, I agree they might just decide not to bother risking any more unnecessary injuries and just take the draw. Hopefully they do go for it though! Be good for Leach to get some overs under his belt.

Cheers, JD. We'll see - I'm planning on going tomorrow.

Btw, brain dead batting from Overton getting bowled attempting a sweep against van der Merwe in the final over. Clarke had showed him exactly what to do against Goldsworthy in the previous over.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Tue 13 Jul 2021, 7:55 pm

That doesn’t shock me. Jamie does tend to only have one gear when he bats!

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed 14 Jul 2021, 11:44 am

Nice waggiing tail from Surrey, luckily follow on not enforced for a certain defeat

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Wed 14 Jul 2021, 3:06 pm

Good job Somerset elected not to enforce the follow on to give the bowlers a rest.

JDizzle

jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jul 2021, 3:38 pm

JDizzle wrote:Good job Somerset elected not to enforce the follow on to give the bowlers a rest.
Laugh

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jul 2021, 4:18 pm

Both teams have settled for the draw Hug

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed 14 Jul 2021, 8:18 pm

Our Division 2 opponents
Durham
Essex
Glamorgan
Gloucestershire
Northamptonshire
Very surprised to see Essex there

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down