The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP

+2
guildfordbat
jimbobgooner
6 posters

Go down

SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by jimbobgooner Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:44 am

SURREY HAVE NAMED A SQUAD OF 14 FOR TUESDAY’S ROYAL LONDON CUP MATCH WITH GLAMORGAN AT SOPHIA GARDENS IN CARDIFF.
Gareth Batty is part of the coaching staff headed up by Richard Johnson for this competition.  Erm
Cameron Steel remains unavailable as he continues his recovery from Covid 19. Rolling Eyes
Ben Foakes is still on the treatment table. Sad
FULL SQUAD:
Hashim Amla (c)
Rikki Clarke
Tim David
Matt Dunn
Ben Geddes
Nicholas Kimber
Conor McKerr
Daniel Moriarty
Ryan Patel
Nico Reifer
Jamie Smith
Mark Stoneman
James Taylor
Amar Virdi
With Kimber starting the last game, you would imagine its drink duties for Geddes, Taylor and Virdi
Over to you chaps  thumbsup

Last edited by jimbobgooner on Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total

jimbobgooner

guildfordbat likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:56 am

Cheers, JimBob. Agree with you on the eleven.

As you say, it's being reported now that Steel is continuing his recovery from covid. Previously the Club had said he was self-isolating which suggested he had only been pinged by the App for coming into contact with someone suffering from it. It now seems he had covid when we signed him. I don't want to victimise those with covid but maybe we should have checked on his recovery before putting a two year plus contract in front of him. Anyway, not exactly open and transparent communication from the Club at outset.

As for the game, important we don't blow it. 5 points out of 6 as we have now is good. 5 out of 8 would be less so. We need to finish in the top 3 of our group of 9 teams to advance to the next stage.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP  Empty Re: SURREY VS GLAMORGAN/SOMERSET ROYAL LONDON CUP

Post by guildfordbat Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Surrey win toss and bat. Unchanged as expected.

Good so far then ....

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:03 pm

guildfordbat wrote:Surrey win toss and bat. Unchanged as expected.

Good so far then ....

Didn't last long.

Stoneman out first ball of the game. Caught at slip off Hulk Hogan. Rolling Eyes

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:22 pm

Amla 2 from 15 so far - treating it like a test match.

kingdaveeagle

Back to top Go down

Post by kingdaveeagle Tue Aug 03, 2021 10:14 pm

46-5 - all caught. Poor poor poor.

kingdaveeagle

jimbobgooner likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:04 am

kingdaveeagle wrote:Amla 2 from 15 so far - treating it like a test match.

Yep, neither runs or holding it together from Amla. Out for 4 from 25 balls. JDizzle would expect nothing different! Wink

Anyway, from bad to terrible as Surrey bowled out for 132 off 44.1 overs.

Salter, a tip for the top of mine from a few years back - as Olly somehow recently remembered - bagging the most wickets with a threefer. Helped by naive and poor shots from Reifer and David. Hogan was actually the best of the bowlers (10-3-18-1) imo and deserved more than his one.

A responsible knock of 35 from Clarke before he started to run out of partners and surely not enough.

guildfordbat

JDizzle likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:15 am

Let's hope this doesn't go the same way as the T20 campaign Rolling Eyes

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by thegooch7 Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:10 am

I think this is the sort of performance we were expecting at the start of the tournament, no one day batsmen, followed by Jade Dernbach style medium pace crap bowling, and an overseas player who isn't contributing

thegooch7

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:30 am

lost by 5 wkts
have to say that is a awful pitch for one day cricket warning

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:33 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Let's hope this doesn't go the same way as the T20 campaign Rolling Eyes

My concern as well, mate. Very poor today.

It was a defeat to Glamorgan that put the skids under us in the T20 campaign.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:44 am

in hindsight we should have picked Virdi for that pitch
hindsight is a lovely thing

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 am

Unchanged squad for Somerset

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:52 am

jimbobgooner wrote:Unchanged squad for Somerset

Maybe Geddes and Virdi for Reifer and Kimber?

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:29 pm

Somerset without their young RL skipper Ben Green - I like him, good all rounder who bowls seamers and fields tigerishly. Clever move to give him the experience of captaincy for this tournament. At least until he came into contact recently with someone with covid and had to self isolate!

That'll be a blow for the visitors as it looks as if they'll have a long tail. Their top order is decent though and they have de Lange and Davey in their attack which should keep our batters on their toes. Davey is another Ciderman I like, canny bowler.

We'll need to be much better than Tuesday's showing to win today. All assuming the weather holds.

guildfordbat

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:43 pm

Keep an eye out for Sonny Baker - only 18 and has 6 wickets at 24 so far in this competition. And I am told he bowls absolute rockets. Consistently high 80s at the age of 18.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:46 pm

Have to admit I am finding it tough to keep up with our campaign, but the result against Glamorgan was very disappointing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 pm

Good Golly I'm Olly wrote:Have to admit I am finding it tough to keep up with our campaign, but the result against Glamorgan was very disappointing

Can understand that. I'm not following the Hundred - not because I'm a ''hater'' but because with the RL 50 (a format I've always liked) and the India Test series there's already enough going on for me.

I'll try and give my thoughts on the Hundred and wider aspects of the game on the Summer of Cricket thread in a day or so.

guildfordbat

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 am

Somerset, Somerset themselves from 114-6 to 220 all out via Lewis Goldsworthy 96
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by JDizzle Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:36 am

Brilliant knock from Goldsworthy. He’ll have a role to play with the ball too, looking at Moriarty’s figures.

JDizzle

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbobgooner Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:35 am

12 balls away from a victory for the surrey boys Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
What a summer

jimbobgooner

Back to top Go down

Post by guildfordbat Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:25 pm

guildfordbat wrote:

5 points out of 6 as we have now is good. 5 out of 8 would be less so. We need to finish in the top 3 of our group of 9 teams to advance to the next stage.

I posted that before the Glamorgan debacle and the Somerset no result. So we now have 6 out of 10 and are in third place. That's higher than I thought we would be. Reckon we'll need at least 4 points from the last 3 games to get to the next round, maybe 5.

As for yesterday's game, good to see Geddes get a few quick runs, not out as well.

guildfordbat

jimbobgooner and Good Golly I'm Olly like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down