The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Ted Dexter

2 posters

Go down

RIP Ted Dexter Empty RIP Ted Dexter

Post by alfie Thu 26 Aug 2021, 8:47 am

"Lord" Ted Dexter , former England (and Sussex) skipper and later Chairman of Selectors , has died at 86.

Was a wonderful batsman to watch : few ever hit the ball harder ; and he tended to be undeterred by coming in after sometimes precarious starts - his approach generally being to seize the initiative immediately through attacking the bowling (he would have been excellent in the modern white ball formats , I think.) Also a more than useful medium pace bowler.

Probably fair to say he didn't always get it right as a selector ; but in truth he took the job at a very tricky time for England - obvious transferable talent perhaps as elusive as it has tended to be lately in fact.

I will remember him best for some of his cover drives...

RIP "Lord Ted"

alfie

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down

RIP Ted Dexter Empty Re: RIP Ted Dexter

Post by sirfredperry Thu 26 Aug 2021, 9:53 am

Ted Dexter got a big 100 for England in the very first Test I attended - E v Pakistan at The Oval 1962.

Priviliged to watch a big stand between Ted and Colin Cowdrey who got 182, his highest Test score, that day.

Many will particularly remember Dexter's onslaught against a rampant Hall and Griffith at Lord's in 1963. For an attacking batsman he could also get his head down if needed (180 at B'ham in 1961, 174 at Manchester in 1964).

Dexter was about the first to master the new demands of one-day cricket, taking Sussex to the first two titles of the Gillette Cup in 63 and 64.

Pity he seemed more interested in politics than cricket in the mid-60s, as his Test career was cut off almost in its prime. He will have enjoyed his swan song at The Oval in '68 when he featured in the famous all-players-in-the-picture when Deadly bowled out the Aussies with just six minutes to spare.

sirfredperry

Good Golly I'm Olly likes this post

Back to top Go down