The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Intelligent Golf and team game issue

3 posters

Go down

Intelligent Golf and team game issue Empty Intelligent Golf and team game issue

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 18 Oct 2021, 6:21 pm

My club uses the Intelligent Golf app to manage bookings, competitions and drink and food purchases, as well as pro shop purchases. So, pretty much everything.
Although it has saved members and staff a lot of hassle, I wish to see if anyone at a club who uses the app has resolved an issue I think we have in our seniors group.

When our seniors group play team games on a Monday morning, we get a number of people who drop out at the last minute. If they drop out earlier, the start sheet preparer can shuffle people about to make up a fourball. However, if they drop out on the day, a four ball team is reduced to a three ball. (The drop out forfeits his entry fee and may face other sanctions).
Now if we play a team game where a proportion of the team of four score (e.g Bowmaker - best two scores count, Waltz - 1 scores on 1st hole, 2 score on 2nd hole, 3 score on 3rd hole etc) the team of three are at a disadvantage in they have less scoring potential. Before Intelligent Golf and using cards, one of the three would count his score twice on one hole, the next player would count his score twice on the next hole and so on. Nowadays, Intelligent Golf can't do that, because it needs to assign a player to the fourth slot with a specific handicap. It would be onerous for it to duplicate one of the three players.

So does anyone who plays team games and use the Intelligent Golf app have a way of working this to make it equitable?

My clubs answer is that they have created a number of "mystery" golfers with an average score of 30 stableford points and the 3 ball team gets assigned one of these players. 30 points is what the average senior scores in stableford competitions. The trouble is, you might get a mystery player with only 27 points or one with 33. Bit too random for me. I would like it based on someones score in the team playing on the day.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Intelligent Golf and team game issue Empty Re: Intelligent Golf and team game issue

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 7:03 pm

Why not stick in the booking player then make the others anonymous then get your starter to change on the day in relation to who turns up.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Intelligent Golf and team game issue Empty Re: Intelligent Golf and team game issue

Post by I'm never wrong Mon 18 Oct 2021, 7:18 pm

super_realist wrote:Why not stick in the booking player then make the others anonymous then get your starter to change on the day in relation to who turns up.
I see what you mean Super, and indeed, when a player withdraws, a blank space is left. (This is for competitions, normal bookings do indeed have "Anonymous".)

But unfortunately, we rarley get people turning up on the day hoping for a game in the competition, that haven't already booked. Since we 've gone over to IG, they think once the start sheet is prepoared, that's it, not realising that people can and still do drop out. Perhaps I can get the committee to publish the fact that "walk ups" may get a game.

Edit: Might have misread your post Super, but the start sheet preparers don't seem to want to shuffle on the day. Pro shop don't want to get involved in our comps.

I'm never wrong

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 18 Oct 2021, 7:24 pm

Our club use it, but we can turn up and get a "late entry" on the day so it can be done.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Fri 26 Nov 2021, 3:24 pm

I'm never wrong wrote:My club uses the Intelligent Golf app to manage bookings, competitions and drink and food purchases, as well as pro shop purchases. So, pretty much everything.
Although it has saved members and staff a lot of hassle, I wish to see if anyone at a club who uses the app has resolved an issue I think we have in our seniors group.

When our seniors group play team games on a Monday morning, we get a number of people who drop out at the last minute. If they drop out earlier, the start sheet preparer can shuffle people about to make up a fourball. However, if they drop out on the day, a four ball team is reduced to a three ball. (The drop out forfeits his entry fee and may face other sanctions).
Now if we play a team game where a proportion of the team of four score (e.g Bowmaker - best two scores count, Waltz - 1 scores on 1st hole, 2 score on 2nd hole, 3 score on 3rd hole etc) the team of three are at a disadvantage in they have less scoring potential. Before Intelligent Golf and using cards, one of the three would count his score twice on one hole, the next player would count his score twice on the next hole and so on. Nowadays, Intelligent Golf can't do that, because it needs to assign a player to the fourth slot with a specific handicap. It would be onerous for it to duplicate one of the three players.

So does anyone who plays team games and use the Intelligent Golf app have a way of working this to make it equitable?

My clubs answer is that they have created a number of "mystery" golfers with an average score of 30 stableford points and the 3 ball team gets assigned one of these players. 30 points is what the average senior scores in stableford competitions. The trouble is, you might get a mystery player with only 27 points or one with 33. Bit too random for me. I would like it based on someones score in the team playing on the day.

I think most clubs select a group of (about) 5 players, all of roughly the same handicap. They are asked to record their score on every hole. The teams lacking a player then either draw, or are drawn one of the selected group, and that player's scores are then added to the team's own scores.

It's not perfect but it's the best you can do in the circumstances I think.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down