The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Australian Open 2022

+18
alfie
Henman Bill
lydian
naxroy
MrInvisible
theslosty
88Chris05
Soul Requiem
Born Slippy
dummy_half
Good Golly I'm Olly
JuliusHMarx
No name Bertie
Oioi
CaledonianCraig
slashermcguirk
lags72
sirfredperry
22 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Australian Open 2022  - Page 4 Empty Australian Open 2022

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:43 am

First topic message reminder :

After the Novaxgate saga, we get down to action for the AO 2022 with no Djoko and a chance for someone else to win the men's title.

In Novax's absence, I would think that one of Medvedev, Zverev or Tsitsipas will be crowned champion.

The presence of Halep, Barty and Osaka will strengthen the women's tournament at the AO. I'm not expecting too much from Emma R who, in her first full year on the tour, could find it difficult.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:07 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : update)

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Australian Open 2022  - Page 4 Empty Re: Australian Open 2022

Post by No name Bertie Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:02 am

In 2009, after a titanic five set battle in the final, Rafael Nadal held up the Australian Open trophy and seemed set to dominate tennis, while Federer could be heard sobbing in the background. To think this would be Nadal's only AO title would have maybe seemed absurd at the time.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:33 am

Berrettini leads by 2 sets to love

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:18 am

Monfils takes the third 6-3

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:03 am

Interesting comments from Denis Shapovalov in respect of the preferential treatment Nadal gets from umpires in respect of his time wasting. Worth noting that today’s umpire was the same one Nadal had removed from umpiring his matches for previously enforcing the rules against him. Whilst I wouldn’t go as far as Denis in alleging corruption, there must be some part of Bernardes that is very reluctant to risk getting involved in such an incident again?

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:09 am

Monfils takes it to a decider

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:10 am

Born Slippy wrote:Interesting comments from Denis Shapovalov in respect of the preferential treatment Nadal gets from umpires in respect of his time wasting. Worth noting that today’s umpire was the same one Nadal had removed from umpiring his matches for previously enforcing the rules against him. Whilst I wouldn’t go as far as Denis in alleging corruption, there must be some part of Bernardes that is very reluctant to risk getting involved in such an incident again?
I think it’s a bit of sour grapes from the Canadian tbh.
He was also complaining about the doctor assessing Nadal. Without assessment how would you administer treatment?

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:17 am

Shapo reined back on saying the umpire was "corrupt" but stuck with his comments about the time Rafa takes.

Must say that I'm much more of a Rafa fan, too, than I was a few years ago.

I was going to say that Monfils was doing me proud, only to see he's been broken at the beginning of the 5th.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:31 am

Born Slippy wrote:Interesting comments from Denis Shapovalov in respect of the preferential treatment Nadal gets from umpires in respect of his time wasting. Worth noting that today’s umpire was the same one Nadal had removed from umpiring his matches for previously enforcing the rules against him. Whilst I wouldn’t go as far as Denis in alleging corruption, there must be some part of Bernardes that is very reluctant to risk getting involved in such an incident again?

Nadal has been pushing the boundaries for as long as I can remember and the fact he gets away with it sucks. One of my abiding memories of his battles with Federer is seeing the Swiss waiting, ready to return while Nadal readjusts some bit of clothing for the umpteenth time.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:46 am

Berrettini wins . Aaarrrggghhhh.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:08 am

Matteo Berrettini adds another record to his CV, the only Italian to ever reach a slam semifinal at three different majors.

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:29 am

@SFP on Berrettini, I don't think he's the most subtle player on tour but he's still a v effective player, a good solid top tenner, and reaching numerous slam semis is not to be sniffed at. In some ways he reminds me a bit of Roddick, massive serve and forehand, decent enough movement but deficiencies elsewhere. Roddick doesn't go down as one of the all time greats but still managed to win a slam and get to number one. Whilst I don't see Berrettini rising higher than number 3 he does look a contender at Wimbledon for next few years.

I thought Shapavolov would prove a handful for Nadal but ultimately fall short. Nadal should be fine against Berrettini, expect him to pepper the backhand side and win in either 3 or 4 sets. Medvedev should have too much for Felix A A who took bit of time to warm up against Evans. Tsitsipas has another tough match against Sinner which may be a match too far for the Greek. Definitely looks a Nadal v Medvedev final. On the women's I'm rooting for Barty - would be nice for an Aussie to win Down Under - must be a while since that last happened.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:58 am

My lack of affection for Berrettini is totally irrational. He's clearly doing very well.

But I can't see him getting more than a set off Rafa who, as MrI says, will go to the Italian's BH as much as possible. Agree that Medvedev should beat F A-A.

The bits of Sinner I've seen have shown he's in good form. Still think Tsitsipas will edge him.

I, too, would like to see Barty win the whole thing. But Keys in the semis could be tough.

LATER: Stats show that Berrettini has lost the last seven matches he has played against top 10 opponents*

*He had a w/o over Federer at the French

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:21 pm

Nadal, Djokovic. Murray and Del Potro consistently broke the 20/ 25 / 30 second between points ruling. Not sure what happened when the regulations began to be enforced.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:24 pm

The comments made by Shapovalov in the post-match presser were measured and totally valid. Yes, his frustration was obviously exacerbated by the manner in which the match turned in the fifth - not least when it seemed the odds were looking favourable for him with the momentum of having levelled up the sets tally in such impressive fashion.

And in many ways, the reference to Rafa’s time-wasting tactics was not just about today’s events, but about the many, many years during which he has been successfully employing such highly-questionable tactics at key moments in important tournies.
I think deep down Rafa knows he has so often pushed the boundaries to their limit - but feels (understandably) that if Umpires choose to allow it - which they almost invariably do - then the end justifies the means.

All that said, Rafa just about deserved the win. He will be in supremely confident mood as to his title chances. It only needs Medvedev to have a slightly below-par day, and for Rafa to be on song …….. and it can very easily be Number 21.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:36 pm

Ever since there is a clock on court, Nadal has complied with the time given. If you go too soon to your serving spot, there is a chance you will have to wait.

Today Nadal took extra time after the first set because he had changed clothes, no big deal

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:50 pm

naxroy wrote:Ever since there is a clock on court, Nadal has complied with the time given. ……………..

Hmm. Interesting.

I wonder why it is then that several Umpires (not just today’s) have found cause to give him time violations since the introduction of the shot clock ………… 🤔🤔

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:28 am

Collins and Swiatek the victors today. Swiatek took three hours to see off veteran Kanepi.

Of the new recent Slam winners, Swiatek has been the most consistent at GS events since, and was the only woman to reach the 4th round at each of the Slams last year.

Tsitsipas is two sets up against Sinner. I thought the Greek would win, but that it might be a bit closer than this.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:52 am

One match too far for Jannik Sinner at this stage, Stefanos Tsitispas completely outclassed him.

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:03 am

The Greek's win today shows that, certainly in some cases, it doesn't pay to read too much into early-round performances at Slams.

Tsitsipas started underwhelmingly in Melbourne but is now thru to the semis and looking dangerous.

Sometimes GS title runs include a poor match, even a match where the eventual champ comes close to defeat. Tsitsi has pulled off the trick of winning while not playing well and saving his better/best tennis for the later rounds.

Medvedev up next against F A-A. You have to go with the Russian for this one.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by naxroy Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:32 am

I would love Felix to win

naxroy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:48 am

FAA takes opening set on the tie break.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:29 am

FAA 2 sets up

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:31 am

Med two sets down. Not seen any of it. Is F A-A playing out of his skin or is the Russian having an off day?

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:33 am

FAA playing really well but Medvedev seems a bit off

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:46 am

FAA is flying!
Surely that joke has been used somewhere before?

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:39 am

Medvedev gets back into it by taking the third on a tiebreak.

The Russian might be able to take heart from his remarkable comeback from two sets down against Rafa in the 2019 USO final.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:28 am

Two sets all. Medvedev heart can never be questioned

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:42 am

F A-A did have an MP at 4-5 in that 4th set but Medvedev saved it and then broke to take it 7-5.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:01 am

Been listening to the match radio commentary on 5live sports extra. Sounds a compelling match with some v good rallies. There was indeed a match point in 4th set but it was on Medvedev's serve and he produced a blistering 1st serve when required. Felix also saved 4 set points himself before finally succombing.

Medvedev has been closing in for the kill still up a set and a break, but play now stopped for medical timeout for Felix. Commentators saying Medvedev looks exhausted. Tsitsipas, awaiting in the semis will no doubt be v happy with proceedings.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:23 am

Medvedev now one game away from the semis. Got to say there's been some great matches, 3 of the 4 quarter finals have gone to 5 sets and we also had some compelling 5 setters earlier on, Berrettini vs Alcaraz and Tsitsipas against Fritz.

Fair to say the women's hasn't quite caught fire though Swiatek Vs Barty (if it happens) could be a good final.

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:30 am

Medvedev wins an epic 5 setter. Might just battle hardened him for the closing stages of the tournament

Back to top Go down

Post by Oioi Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:31 am

Fantastic match. Really feel for Felix, this is the first time I've really seen what the hype is about with him. One thing that stuck out to me in that match as they both play at a rapid pace which made it feel more fun to watch as the points kept coming. Not sure if I'm just imagining that though. It's just sometimes, even when watching players I like, I can get a bit bored and wish there was a fast forward button to skip some of the down time.

Oioi

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:39 am

FAA grounded.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:50 am

I thought if anyone could come back from two sets down it would be Medvedev. Maybe his greater experience in GS five-setters told, although I gather F A-A needed some medical assistant in that fifth set.

I know it looks as if Tsitsi will have the advantage in the semi, having had a much shorter match today. But I'm still taking Med to get to the final.

I've just realised that the Med-Tsitsi semi is a repeat of last year's Melbourne last-four encounter. Med won that won in straights but Tsitsi beat him in the quarters at RG 2021.

As for tomorrow's women's semis I just have this sneaking feeling that Keys will overcome Barty. Swiatek had an exhausting three-setter today but should beat Collins. My predictions will probably be miles out and it will be a Barty-Collins final.

Can't say I'm too impressed with the scheduling which means one of the women's finalists will have had to play Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday.

Last edited by sirfredperry on Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Born Slippy Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:11 am

Have to feel for FAA. The better player throughout but Medvedev’s teak tough mentality saw him through - the massive serve to save MP immediately after a double fault was immense. FAA’s time will come but it leaves a very intriguing SF line up, with Tsitsipas looking in very dangerous form today.

Born Slippy

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:00 am

Some very wise words here from Rafa:

"The fact that we are equal at 20 (Grand Slams), the only thing it says is that we share an amazing era in the history of our sport.

“It’s a real honour to be part of it, without a doubt. I don’t hope for anything. I just keep going. I’m just enjoying playing tennis. Of course, I want to keep winning. But more than wanting to achieve or have more than the others, it’s because I love what I am doing.

"I want to keep doing this as long as possible. In the past six months, there have been a lot of doubts whether I would be able to keep going. But now I feel good. I’m in the semi-finals of the Australian Open — that’s amazing for me.

“In terms of what’s going to happen in the future? Honestly, I don’t care that much. I don’t believe that my future happiness is going to depend on if I achieve more Grand Slams than the others, or the others achieve more Grand Slams than me.

"I am super-satisfied and I feel very lucky as a person in general for all the things that have happened to me in this life. I have a way of approaching life: You can’t always be frustrated if the neighbour has a bigger house than you, or a better phone, or better things.

"I’m not going to be frustrated if Novak or Roger finishes their careers with more Grand Slams than me. Let’s enjoy the situation that we have. Every one of us has done very special things in our sport.”

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:11 am

Rafa went on to say "Oh, and JHM's FAA puns made me chuckle, even if no-one else thought they were funny."

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:17 pm

Just been watching highlights of the Tsitsi match. Some terrific hitting by the Greek.

Sinner to me looks as if he needs to beef up a bit. A few good steaks and some weight training could well help. With Sinner's youthful looks, it seemed very much men against boys today.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:48 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:Rafa went on to say "Oh, and JHM's FAA puns made me chuckle, even if no-one else thought they were funny."

And it didn’t end there.

In a subsequent interview, Rafa added :

“We all know that JHM is always trying, always fighting. Those little jokes may not be always good, but please we must respect him for that. We cannot deport him. And as for myself …… even if I win 21 Slams or more, all the fans know that Roger is still the best ….. he is the one we all want to watch. ”

The Tsitsipas and Medvedev victories could hardly have been more different in their manner : but both mighty impressive clap clap

Once the ridiculous Novax saga ended with the circus ringmaster leaving town, this tournament has brought rich entertainment, some epic matchups, all providing a timely reminder that nobody is indispensable ; far from it.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:41 pm

Some may rue Novax's absence, while others may consider there is less glitter in a title win here with Djoko not playing.

But for me it's been a far more interesting GS with the Serb not around. Djoko has so dominated at Melbourne that the outcome has been in little doubt over the last few years.

But now we go into the men's semis with three guys with a good chance of taking the Slam (I"m excluding Berrettini, of course).

I've argued before that of the Slams, the real interest comes only in New York. For Djoko has had Melbourne wrapped up, Rafa is nearly always triumphant in Paris and the Big Four have won all the Wimbledons back to 2003.

For these last two weeks, IMHO, we've had something different at the AO - unpredictability.

sirfredperry

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:31 am

Just flicked on a bit of the women's semi final that is on. I swear if this was on in the local park with no admission charge I still wouldnt go. Its just so bad........non stop unforced  errors. I stand over what I said that women's tennis is now beyond embarrassing. I just see the match lasted a whopping 62 minutes..........a semi final over in an hour. You would almost ask for a refund. Keys hit just 8 winners in the entire match and 24 unforced errors, that is like a club hacker.

As for the Men's, its hard to see past a Nadal vs Medvedev final but I hope Tsitsipas gets to the final as he is a nicer player to watch

Last edited by slashermcguirk on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:49 am

Barty wins easily. So much for my prediction!

Match lasted only just over an hour with Barty totally dominant. Keys had won all her matches in 2022 but, by all accounts, was outclassed.

In the other semi, Collins is 3-0 up (two breaks). Looks like my other prediction is going down the plughole, too.

Expectation among the Aussie public is huge and although it seems not to have affected Barty this year (at least so far) the record of other top Aussies at their home slam ain't at all great.

Lleyton Hewitt got to the final in 05 but never went beyond the 4th round in his other 19 attempts. Pat Rafter reached the semis in 2001 but only won 10 matches in his eight other appearances. Pat Cash did better, reaching the final in 1987 and 1988.

Sam Stosur, who bowed out from singles at this year's Melbourne, was good enough to win the USO and get to four in the world. Yet her Melbourne record was awful - only reaching the 4th round (and no further) twice in 20 appearances.

The French, who've had some terrific players in recent years, have a similar poor record at RG. Just shows that the likes of Henman and Andy Murray have coped with the expectation at Wimbledon really well.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:36 am

Collins thru 4 and 1 to complete my miserable forecasting.

By all accounts, the American played brilliantly but you have to wonder whether yesterday's three-hour quarter for Swiatek took its toll. Crazy scheduling again.

Barty will be overwhelming favourite in the final and the first Aussie winner at Melbourne for yonks.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:16 am

slashermcguirk wrote:Just flicked on a bit of the women's semi final that is on. I swear if this was on in the local park with no admission charge I still wouldnt go. Its just so bad........non stop unforced  errors. I stand over what I said that women's tennis is now beyond embarrassing. I just see the match lasted a whopping 62 minutes..........a semi final over in an hour. You would almost ask for a refund. Keys hit just 8 winners in the entire match and 24 unforced errors, that is like a club hacker.

As for the Men's, its hard to see past a Nadal vs Medvedev final but I hope Tsitsipas gets to the final as he is a nicer player to watch

That's always been the nature of women's tennis, Graf won the French Open in 32 minutes once upon a time. Barty however is a very good player, there's good variation to her groundstrokes not relying solely on power which blighted women's tennis for years.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:32 am

Yes but Graf overall had lots of rivals that were considered great players…….Navotatilova, Evert, Seles, Sanchez vicario, Hingis when bursting on scene, sabbatini, capriati etc.

Barty is up against useless opposition in comparison

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:50 am

slashermcguirk wrote:Yes but Graf overall had lots of rivals that were considered great players…….Navotatilova, Evert, Seles, Sanchez vicario, Hingis when bursting on scene, sabbatini, capriati etc.

Barty is up against useless opposition in comparison

But still won a grand slam final in 32 minutes, she lost four sets on her way to the Golden slam '88. The women's game isn't overly exciting that much is true and outside of Halep, Barty and Osaka players lack variety in their game but they're not useless.

I say it all the time but the men's game isn't much better, oh look a 35 year old is in another slam semi final. The men's game has been too predictable for too long whilst the women's game has been too unpredictable for too long.

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:12 pm

Just watched the Barty semi. What a dreadful match. Keys was just awful and at one stage virtually every point was an UE.

I don't like to run the women's game down, but when you see matches like this semi it's difficult to get that enthusiastic.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by sirfredperry Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:24 pm

Men's semis coming up at the AO.

I don't even want to think about the possibility of Berrettini beating Rafa. As long as Rafa sticks it on the Italian's forehand he'll be fine.

I suppose Medvedev is slight favourite against Tsitsi but if the Greek plays the sort of tennis he showed in the quarters then another appearance in a Slam final is a real possibility.

The Russian, though, will take heart from the fact that he won his quarter final when not at his best and when as close to defeat as you can get.

sirfredperry

Back to top Go down

Post by No name Bertie Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:31 pm

Both the mens and womens games are completely different than the past.  Youtube had Borg vs Lendl playing a fifth set at the French Open - and they were so slow (1981).  They looked like two punch drunk boxers.  Tennis is a much more physical game nowadays.
No name Bertie
No name Bertie

Back to top Go down

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:01 pm

I used to love the womens game up until about 2010. I think it has reached an all time low, it’s just so poor. What I saw today in that first semi final is as bad as it gets. I could not believe I was watching a grand slam semi final, I just had to switch it off.

sirfredperry wrote:Just watched the Barty semi. What a dreadful match. Keys was just awful and at one stage virtually every point was an UE.

I don't like to run the women's game down, but when you see matches like this semi it's difficult to get that enthusiastic.

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next